Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #7561
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hello possums.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #7562
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Tom, thanks for making my compulsions seem somehow less compulsive, lol. I love that you have taken this on! Good luck with the "keeping 3,000 to 4,000 of them around for listening". Dang! And wow!
Sarah - I'm glad that my compulsiveness makes you feel a little better about yours! I'll remember that when it's another lovely day outside and I'm wondering why I'm sitting here glued to the scanner

Here's what I'm dealing with. My main room (box sets on top in the first picture):

And the corridor to the bathroom:

There is another CD rack not pictured, but you get the idea. I've succeeded in getting the collection down from a peak of 10,000 to about 8,000 right now.

If I'm ever going to go full-timing in an RV, I'd like to not have to rent too large a storage space for this stuff!

Old 05-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #7563

Holy smokes Tom! Wow! So you were a dj to support the music collecting habit or the other way around?
Yeah that is not all going to fit in the RV for sure. I would actually like to get a bit compulsive about my photos, tagging them in Picasa and setting up a consistent naming convention for the folders. But I'm not facing anything like your house!
Very cool!

Old 05-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #7564
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from a whirlwind trip (Sat-Mon) to MA to see Mr B's Mom for Mother's Day. She was so happy to see him, after all that transpired 2 weeks ago with his minor heart attack. We took her out to a real nice dinner at a restaurant overlooking the Merrimack River in Methuen MA.

I am now the proud owner of a murderous head cold , complete with major drainage from the head alternating with pounding sinus headaches. I have no idea how I caught this bug except maybe at the Legion installation dinner last Friday. Groan! It will be fluids and rest for this kid for the next few days.

I am semi-quarantining myself from Mr B, which means no kisses or handholding. I'll come up with a Plan B though.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #7565
Give me a forum ...

Listed my house for sale. Priced competitively for the market. We will see.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #7566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
*Fingers crossed*
Old 05-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #7567
Administrator

Quote:
Good luck!! Hope the market up there is more energetic than ours has been recently.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #7568

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I think I will call myself, from my landline, to see if I can figure it out. (I won't try the shoe trick, though! )

Edited to add: OK, that was pretty easy.
From The Land Of Bizarre Coincidences: today, I actually DID have to call myself. Why? Because I had left my cell phone at the grocery store yesterday and didn't realize I didn't have it until today. I've had a cell since 2001 and never once lost it... until yesterday.

I freaked out, to be honest. After not being able to find it, then calming down and thinking on it for a while, I decided to toss the dice and just call it... in case someone answered and could tell me where they were. And happy day, the customer service desk at the grocery answered! All's well that ends well, but that little baby is staying in my eyesight from now on
Old 05-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #7569

Quote:
Best of luck, I hope the market there is better than here. Mine's been listed for awhile now, I had two showings last week and am hoping it sells soon.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #7570
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hope it sells quickly for a fair price.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #7571

Yesterday we had a nice Mother's Day lunch at my sister and BIL's house with our parents. Then we went to the Cleveland Zoo. I haven't been there in years. The weather was perfect and it was nice to be out. The zoo was crowded with young families and it made me appreciate that our sons are adults now and how much easier it is than when they needed strollers, snacks, diaper bags, etc.

The Cleveland Zoo has a new state of the art elephant exhibit. African Elephant Crossing | Now Open Much bigger than before and it all looked better for the elephants. The whole place is lovely with walkways and flowers but I just find the animals sad and the whole "zoo" situation depressing. I know that most of them were born into captivity and that they don't know any other life. It just seems so unjust that they live in confinement so that people can stare at them and ooh and aah.

There were 2 bears who just paced back and forth in that neurotic, bored way that captive animals do. They have fake boulders and an imitation branch to interact with and to me it looks like they don't really like all that much exposure to screaming kids and camera flashes.

Is it possible that these animals think they've got it made because they get a food delivery and hours of people watching? Or is this as unnatural as it looks?

The primate building is from the late 80's I think. I remember when it was new and so much better than what was there before. Now it looks like a prison. It screamed of "captivity". Most of the animals were hiding or sleeping. The big gorilla was outside sitting on a rock (real or manufactured?) with his back to the spectators. Everyone oohed when he rolled over so that he could reach back and scratch his butt. Then he sniffed his finger. I was embarrassed for him.

While I enjoyed the day out with family I can't seem to get past the captivity aspect. I'm an animal lover and I know there is an education element to all of this. Then there are rescue situations where animals need human help. But I get to get in my car and go home and live my life. The animals will still be there years from now with their fake rocks and plastic trees, pacing, pacing, pacing...
Old 05-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #7572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post

While I enjoyed the day out with family I can't seem to get passed the captivity aspect. I'm an animal lover and I know there is an education element to all of this. Then there are rescue situations where animals need human help. But I get to get in my car and go home and live my life.
There is a website called "Zencast" that distributes podcasts of what are called "dharma talks" that I have been listening to for a couple of years now and enjoy.

In one of them, the speaker mentioned a story about a lion in a zoo who had been caged in an area about 12 foot or so. He just paced back and forth. Later, the area for him was considerably expanded, and made much more "natural". But the lion continued to pace back and forth in the 12 foot area.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #7573

Quote:
Holy smokes Tom! Wow! So you were a dj to support the music collecting habit or the other way around?
Yeah that is not all going to fit in the RV for sure. I would actually like to get a bit compulsive about my photos, tagging them in Picasa and setting up a consistent naming convention for the folders. But I'm not facing anything like your house!
Very cool!
Oh gosh yes, photos. Just last night I spent half an hour looking for a photo of my friend Grace to show to someone. I was thinking how much easier it would be if all my digital pictures were captioned and indexed. I could just type "Grace" into a box and all the pictures of her would pop up.

Not sure whether I should thank you for bringing this up Sarah. One more detail-oriented project like this and any chances I ever had of leading a normal life will be fast fading into the twilight
Old 05-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #7574
Moderator Emeritus

Gave another surfing lesson in Waikiki this morning. I love watching a new surfer stand up for the first time. They're both doing well enough that I'll be back Wed & Sat morning with more boards, and this time I'll paddle out on a board instead of on fins. They won't need much more help until we'll all be surfing together.

Our daughter turned 18 last fall and we're hiking Haleakala Crater soon, so we decided to visit the lawyer for a wills/medical directives checkup. (It's been nearly seven years.) It turns out that an 18-year-old Hawaii resident is considered capable of being an executrix, so we redid the paperwork. There's also new boilerplate in the medical directives. Later this week or early next week we'll go back for the witness party.

John Hancock sent me their paperwork to process Dad's long-term care insurance claim. I guess that's called "progress".

After over a solid week of rain (or a week of solid rain) the skies are finally clearing. Tomorrow we weed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am semi-quarantining myself from Mr B, which means no kisses or handholding. I'll come up with a Plan B though.
Even before you mention Plan B he's already probably wondering who you've been kissing & hand-holding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
From The Land Of Bizarre Coincidences: today, I actually DID have to call myself. Why? Because I had left my cell phone at the grocery store yesterday and didn't realize I didn't have it until today. I've had a cell since 2001 and never once lost it... until yesterday.
I freaked out, to be honest. After not being able to find it, then calming down and thinking on it for a while, I decided to toss the dice and just call it... in case someone answered and could tell me where they were. And happy day, the customer service desk at the grocery answered! All's well that ends well, but that little baby is staying in my eyesight from now on
This is one of those posts that I'll re-read whenever I consider carrying a cell phone...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #7575
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Here's what I'm dealing with. My main room (box sets on top in the first picture):
Wow! Hope longevity runs in your family as you will need it to get that project finished.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #7576
Give me a forum ...

Day 2 of feeling like there is a sledgehammer pounding in my head, and box number 2 of Puffs with Lotion is getting a lot of use. Mr B is out for the day doing Legion Commander stuff, with my blessing, so he doesn't catch this horrible bug. I am not very good company...

I am drinking a lot of fruit flavored herbal tea with honey. I have a pot of chicken broth with matzoh balls cooking on the stove. These 2 things are my best "medicines" for a cold of this intensity.

I am hoping I will feel a little better by tomorrow so I can enjoy the sunshine and clear skies we are having.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #7577

Quote:
Just realized that I didn't answer this question - sorry Sarah! Weeell, I started buying records when I was 9 years old, but the primary desire was really to be a DJ. Once I achieved that, the free CD's just kept coming and coming. In the few years before I was laid off, I was beginning to become concerned with the rate at which my collection was growing but the collecting bug had become firmly entrenched. If the company I worked for hadn't gone out of business, who knows how many CD's I'd have in another 10 years.

I think they did me a favor by laying me off
Old 05-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #7578

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Day 2 of feeling like there is a sledgehammer pounding in my head, and box number 2 of Puffs with Lotion is getting a lot of use. Mr B is out for the day doing Legion Commander stuff, with my blessing, so he doesn't catch this horrible bug. I am not very good company...

I am drinking a lot of fruit flavored herbal tea with honey. I have a pot of chicken broth with matzoh balls cooking on the stove. These 2 things are my best "medicines" for a cold of this intensity.

I am hoping I will feel a little better by tomorrow so I can enjoy the sunshine and clear skies we are having.
Freebird, my office is being ravaged by a dreadful spate of sickness with symptoms almost exactly as you describe them...pounding headache, sinus drainage, cough, muscle ache, general malaise. I understand from some of the stricken that the local walk-in urgent care clinic is doing a land office business as a result. I have been scheduling myself out of the place as much as possible to try to keep away from the contagion. Feel better soon and I hope Mr. B fends it off entirely.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #7579
Give me a forum ...

Worked in the garden today. This is near our window and it was planted to give hummingbirds a feast. Foreground is Coral Bells (Firefly), and Salvia growing together with Santa Barbara Daisies. The back plant with the little orange bells that hummers love is Abutilon. We eat our dinners right near the window and the hummers put on quiet a show.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #7580
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Freebird, my office is being ravaged by a dreadful spate of sickness with symptoms almost exactly as you describe them...pounding headache, sinus drainage, cough, muscle ache, general malaise. I understand from some of the stricken that the local walk-in urgent care clinic is doing a land office business as a result. I have been scheduling myself out of the place as much as possible to try to keep away from the contagion. Feel better soon and I hope Mr. B fends it off entirely.
I am actually feeling a little better tonight. I have been doing the fluids thing for 24 hours, resting in the recliner, and doing very little. I am sorry to say Mr B has a sore throat, so it is his turn next. I did everything I could to keep my germs to myself, covering my mouth with Kleenex when coughing, washing my hands constantly, not touching him or handing him anything I touched...argh
Well, at least I can take care of him without worrying about catching it myself. He went to bed, so tired he was not able to finish watching a baseball game. That is serious!