what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ERD50....that's so neat. I just wrote my daughter an email and it was delivered to her as text. She was able to respond!! I found a site that listed her carrier's text address and now she has mine too. Works really good as long as I'm at home with my computer and WiFi. Another reason for me to get an iPad, but then I would need G3 and probably be back with Verizon pre-pay again. Need to look at T-Mobile yet.

Thank you!

And you don't incur any charges to your pre-paid phone either! And I find it sooooo much easier to text on a computer keyboard than a phone. Win-Win.

BTW, I've recommended before that people find these text addresses and add them to their contact list on their computers. They are very handy - you might need to text and your phone is out of service, or dead batteries or whatever (or just inconvenient). And, in an emergency, texts are much more reliable than voice.

-ERD50

Cold winter weather arrived with a vengeance last night so yesterday I took advantage of what may be the last warm day until spring. Rode the motorcycle to the post office to mail some 8x10 photos to DW's niece, and then just wandered the back roads and ended up in Berkeley Springs. WV rt. 9 is a nice windy-twisty road good for a leisurely bike ride, lots of 2nd and 3rd-gear turns.

Ended up going a bit over 100 miles in perhaps three hours, arriving back home an hour before the rain started.

Took DW out to dinner at Ledo's Pizza. (I know, big spender, but that's where she wanted to go.)

Last edited:
Got up and fixed coffee and breakfast for DW then sent her off to w*rk. Got Dressed and went and had breakfast with the preacher. Checked on the boats, got back home and cleaned, vacumumed, started some laundry, went and picked up my 2 yr old nephew, picked up some lunch for both of us, went home and played with nephew, when he took his nap I started prep work for dinner, nephew got up and I took him back to my sister (grandma to him). Returned home to finish fixing dinner, make the bed with clean sheets, got dinner on the table, feed DW. Cleaned up, watched a little TV and then to bed. I was tired.

Great deal, REWahoo! :dance: That's a huge savings and will pile up, month after month.

As for me, I had another one of those uneventful but delightful days of retirement, though I'm sure excruciatingly boring to some. I'm apparently as old as Methuselah so I will spare everyone the dreadful details.... ;)

Anyway, lots of fun and I'm getting rid of my cold (oh, darn, another one of those things that working people do too! When will I ever learn).

I hope that you do not stop letting us know what you do today, just because of one poster. I for one enjoy reading it! Keep posting!

Reactions: W2R
Got up at~8 am, dressed in a bathing suit,shorts and T shirt, did laundry, then played some mini golf. Next, sunbathing by the pool, followed by a quick swim (it's cool) and read from "The book of Negroes" on my Kindle. Somewhere in there was a pIna colada.......now, relaxing on the balcony of my cabin on Deck 9 and watching the ocean go by. Sweet!

You sure have it a lot easier than the hapless 4,000 passengers on this Mediterranean cruise ship that ran aground Friday night.

120114102906-italy-ship-3-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Sounds wonderful Meadbh! :flowers:

Slept until 10 a.m. Fed the kitty, then enjoyed my coffee on the patio. Lovely, sunny day. Took care of a few chores around the house. Bunches of scary movies will be watched this afternoon. :D

Set out four pairs of small cafe' doors on my front lawn at 1:15 with a sign on them marked 'Free'. At 1:25 they were gone.... I'm so proud someone can use them and they didn't have to go to the landfill. :)

Now on to my movies....boogie boogie.....
smiley-scared010.gif

NW-Bound said:
You sure have it a lot easier than the hapless 4,000 passengers on this Mediterranean cruise ship that ran aground Friday night.

I know. Some of my friends have sailed the Mediterranean with Costa and were not happy with the service. Looks like safety may be a problem too. The captain has been prosecuted. As a matter of fact my fellow passengers on Celebrity and I were not impressed with the evacuation drill yesterday. We were all assembled in a public space, made to line up and watch a video......which short people couldn't even see. And they said something quite counterintuitive; if there is an emergency, go immediately to the muster point; the youth stewards will bring your children. Huh? I recall on my one previous cruise on another cruise line, we had to get out on deck and practice putting our life jackets on. That would be much more useful in an emergency.

Huh? I recall on my one previous cruise on another cruise line, we had to get out on deck and practice putting our life jackets on. That would be much more useful in an emergency.

I noticed on our last few cruises they really streamlined the lifeboat drill . I went on several Costa cruises in the mid eighties and they were fine . I have been researching Mediterranean cruises and Costa prices were great but a lot of complaints .

Recliner-surfed most of the day. DW & I decided to just not do anything much. Well..actually, DW did make a meatloaf. It's still in the oven, and I'm sure I'll do my part later on (eating). Just watching TV, surfing on this forum, crunching retirement numbers...etc. Thinking about seeing a movie tomorrow at the Louisiana Boardwalk http://www.louisianaboardwalk.com/ . Not sure which movie just yet. Just a lazy day at home today, though.

Ohhhhh yeahhhhh......!
:cool:
Heh. I know you're mainly a Bass fisherman (and so am I), but I'm starting to get seriously interested in these yard long carp I've been seeing in my fishing hole. I think I may need some heavier gear. Been thinking this over all winter. :D

Last edited:
This is one of those days when I managed to write a couple blog posts, clear up a bunch of old PMs & e-mails, and catch up on a whole pile of reading.

I'm so inspired that I might even pay some bills. And for a thrilling climax I think I'll download Otar's old retirement book onto my Nook-- to see if it makes it easier to write the book-review post.

I think I may need some heavier gear.
Reminds me of that notorious fishing quote "Looks like you're gonna need a bigger boat..."

Hole in one! Not me but DH today. It was really bad weather day for golf - rain and mist but DH hit his first hole in one on a par 3 today. The rest of the day is all smiles. When will it be my turn? This lifetime?

My 15 YO flatbed scanner and my 20 YO shredder were in a race to see which one would die first. I loaded about 300 pages of old statements, tax returns, receipts into my 1tb external HD. Even Ms G said I was w**king way to hard for a Sunday.

At home on a Monday! :dance: It's MLK day. Will get some paperwork done and maybe see a movie. DW wants to see "Tinker Tailor."

Ok, so we're not RE... at least yet for me... but we had a different day on the 90 day countdown to DW stopping, and me... ?

Thanks to the day off for MLK day, we went out to lunch (unusual for a lifelong teacher, that's a treat, we call it a snow day!), then fired up an xmas present... the 25th anniversary concert of the R&R Hall of Fame... Spent the afternoon reading with the concert playing, can't tell you the last time we've had that much time without something we felt we had to do.

Guess I'm posting to say we're "practicing"... :) And it was good, I don't anticipate any problems with adjustment... :greetings10:

Prepare to be disappointed. I enjoyed the book but felt the movie just didn't capture the whole intrigue.

We'd already seen the British version with Alec Guinness, which we liked. So, we knew how it ended. I thought Gary Oldman did a great job as Smiley.

Way to much today...took the van in for a new power steering pump...Reset paving stones on the path to the garden...Created three stone terraced planters on the hill above the garden...Removed the carpet in the corner of the family room where the new wet bar will go.

This was very unusual. I think I will get a glass of wine and sit in the hot tub and contemplate how my day took such a productive twist.

I went onto Craigslist to sell my practically brand-new, almost mint-condition, really nifty-looking pair of deferred gratification clamps. The deal included two-thirds of a roll of duct tape.

Last edited:
redduck said:
I went onto Craigslist to sell my practically brand-new, almost mint-condition, really nifty-looking pair of deferred gratification clamps. The deal included two-thirds of a roll of duct tape.

Did you then buy a new car and wide-screen TV?

... and a free box of dryer sheets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom