what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like no one did anything today. Including me. Ooopps, did go skating, an took a long nap.

Looks like no one did anything today. Including me.
OK, I'll fess up. Sent off a check for my 2011 property taxes to the county tax office. First time I've been eligible for the "OA Exemption" (no 'generation war' comments, please!) which allows me to pay in four quarterly installments without interest.

Now if I can only remember to send another check in March and May and July...

Looks like no one did anything today. Including me. Ooopps, did go skating, an took a long nap.

We went to the gym where I managed to complete a challenging workout on the weight machines. That felt good, and I think I have finally ditched the Cold from Hades after almost two weeks. It's great to have my strength back.

Then, we went to the post office to buy stamps. He bought a roll of stamps, but I only bought a book of them which should last me about two years. By then, the post office may be defunct at the rate it is downsizing and early retiring its employees.

Next we had lunch together ($6 each to split a huge grilled chicken sandwich on fresh-baked French bread, and fries). Yum. This at a little Italian restaurant where we are regulars, and they make us feel like family. After that, we spent the afternoon together. Now I am back home, preparing to watch American Idol, knit a little, and watch the forum. Multitasking at its finest... :D

This month I started tracking my spending to the penny for the first time, just for fun. What I especially want to know is where all that ATM money ($474/month average in 2011) goes. So, today I checked my wallet and the number of cents in it matches what should be there. That's a nice feeling.

None of this sounds very exciting, or eventful, and yet for me this day has been blissful and an absolutely, utterly perfect day.

.. pay in four quarterly installments without interest...
I was about to say "what's the big deal" when I remembered that RE taxes in Texas are about 4 times that in my state. Ouch!

By the way, if the tax is for the coming year, why the state wants it in advance anyway? Just because they can?

...This month I started tracking my spending to the penny for the first time, just for fun. What I especially want to know is where all that ATM money ($474/month average in 2011) goes. So, today I checked my wallet and the number of cents in it matches what should be there. That's a nice feeling...

People now will say, "Ah, so that's what early retirees do all day: counting their pennies". :hide:

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
Oops... So, they are really super generous! How can that be?

Doggone it, keep giving money away to geezers....

I went to the dentist to have my toofs cleaned and x-rayed. When I had my teeth cleaned last time by my perio, a numbing goo was rubbed on my gums. Worked very well.

I told my hygienist about that; she goo'd me up and gave me the happy gas. It was party city in bbbamI land for a while. :D

Then I found out I have a cavity. Will have that fixed next Wednesday. :p

W2R said:
Then, we went to the post office to buy stamps. He bought a roll of stamps, but I only bought a book of them which should last me about two years. By then, the post office may be defunct at the rate it is downsizing and early retiring its employees.

You know the rates are changing in 4 days, right? If you bought forevers you saved about 20 cents.

Last edited:
That's it? I saw on the Web some numbers that suggested the taxes were more like $8K+/year. And all this time, I felt sorry for the Texans. Should have reserved that for people on the East Coast...

Last edited:
My two homes in the same state, one in the suburb of a metropolis, the other in the mountain (boonies), have roughly the same value. Two different counties. About the same in tax!

No wonder full-timers in the boonies love part-timers like us. We pay for their school, library, roads, etc..., and not even there full-time to use the service.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to upgrade our Vista Home Premium PC to something called "Win7 Ultimate Upgrade", and I can't tell exactly how that's going to happen. I've spent some time putting together a list of the things I need to back up before my hard drive potentially gets slicked.

If it's really an "ultimate" then why am I doing all the work?

OK, I'll fess up. Sent off a check for my 2011 property taxes to the county tax office. First time I've been eligible for the "OA Exemption" (no 'generation war' comments, please!) which allows me to pay in four quarterly installments without interest.
Now if I can only remember to send another check in March and May and July...
Hey, at least you're paying them, instead of letting the state add them to your tab!

I began the day trying to hand cut dovetails in some wood I salvaged from some old drawers. The results were so so, this was my second try. My chisels were far from adequate so I hauled out some Japanese water stones I bought a few years ago and was afraid to use, watched some how to videos on the internet and spent the afternoon putting a razor edge on all four of them. No joke, I licked my wrist and shaved hair with each one. Very satisfying. Tomorrow I'll give the dovetails another try. I want to build a quilt chest to house the quilts my wife made with all hand joinery and I can see myself doing it now.

Farmers' Market, Grocery store(Kroger), Hardware store(ACE); Wednesday is chores/shopping day. Also laundry and dishwasher. Had to visit credit union as was computer mess up with debit card.

BTW, daffodils came up in December; weird #$% winter.

After mega-doses of antibiotics for 10 days, I think I may be finally getting over pneumonia. Doctor agrees.

You know the rates are changing in 4 days, right? If you bought forevers you saved about 20 cents.

Yes, we both bought forever stamps. I didn't realize they were going up, or that we saved so much! :D See? This whole day has been such a perfect day. :)

I just returned from a business trip to DC -- down this morning and back this evening. I sure won't miss this part when I retire.

Toured Roseau, Dominica (very poor) and the rainforest, including the Emerald Pool (magnificent). Relaxing on cabin balcony overlooking the shore and debating whether to go for a swim now or later......the view is wonderful......

Hi everyone :greetings10:
I took a break from the site, no particular reason, just got busy with other things. Next time I'll leave a note to that effect. :blush:
I am happy to report that Mr B made the President's List with a GPA of 4.0 (4 As in all 4 courses) last semester. We made a copy and sent it to his Mom.
I came out of the holidays with a weight gain of 5 lbs. Argh! Better get my keister back in gear. :dance:
I am running out of things to do around the house, so I will get Zelinkski's book out and pick a new life adventure to pursue while Mr B cracks the books again this semester. He has a course that heavily involves algebra, so I will be his math tutor for that. I'll be using 3 dimensional objects to help him get the concepts down. This oughta be good. :cool:

I started tiling the alcove where we are installing a wet bar, wine center next to the hot tub. You have to work a little now to reap the benefits later.

Just like everything in life.

Met with a pond designer this morning - we've decided to put a small goldfish / lily pond in the backyard. United Way board meeting over lunch (I got "Board Member of the Year" award so I must be spending too much time there!). Phone calls for another volunteer assignment, followed by drafting an e-mail communication for a third one. Hmmm...sounds a little like w*rk? But I'm sitting out on the patio now with the laptop enjoying a beautiful 77-degree January day, so it's all good.

We had our first power outage of the year. I hooked up my electric piano and the woodstove fan to the inverter on the truck, and had a quiet morning practicing and reading a book on my iPod Touch in front of the fire.

The electric company continues to bat 500 at predicting when the power will come back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom