what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avalon, what part of the country are you located? I haven't seen a harlans hawk in ages. We are seeing wintering bald eagles, Red tails, red shouldered, and peregrines. The peregrines just started nesting last year on the cliffs above the lake. We are hoping for a repeat performance this year.

The guy who did it is really into garage doors, and took a lot of time to talk about the different types.

He said that the older type springs that go in the tracks are complicated, and require cables inside so that when the snap, they don't fly all over the place.

I don't understand how they are more complex? It's just a spring along the rail attached to a cable (just like the cable on the drum of torsion systems). Yes, a wire cable runs through the center to just contain any flailing about if it snaps, but that isn't complex or expensive and requires no maintenance or adjustment. It just loops through one end and bolts down on the other end.

Our house is 25 YO, I've only replaced two springs (3 doors, so 6 springs total, only two doors are opened daily), and they didn't snap, you could see a stretched out part and the tension was less than it should be, so I replaced it (before it broke).

The best type to buy is the jackshaft type that goes on the side of the doors. They are quieter and can be easily installed.

walljackshaft.jpg

I like that, looks a lot 'cleaner' than the drive motor hanging on a bracket over the car (but I would have to run power there). But I would still prefer to use it with the extension springs so I could fix it cheap myself.

I am suspicious that the installer has a bias when he says the ones that require you to call him to fix them are 'better'. Better for him, no doubt.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Avalon, what part of the country are you located? I haven't seen a harlans hawk in ages. We are seeing wintering bald eagles, Red tails, red shouldered, and peregrines. The peregrines just started nesting last year on the cliffs above the lake. We are hoping for a repeat performance this year.
PM sent. I've never seen a peregrine that I know of. That would be high point for me though. I've watched eagles working over flocks of geese in western Iowa. They have a way of keeping things stirred up. :)

PM sent. I've never seen a peregrine that I know of. That would be high point for me though. I've watched eagles working over flocks of geese in western Iowa. They have a way of keeping things stirred up. :)

Were you at DeSoto Bend? If so, I know it well. I spent many a fall weekend in my youth there tracking the migration of snow and blue geese. What an awesome spectacle!

Were you at DeSoto Bend? If so, I know it well. I spent many a fall weekend in my youth there tracking the migration of snow and blue geese. What an awesome spectacle!
Wow, very good!! Yes, I've been to DeSoto many times. :) I own a small farm just a few miles north. I recall one Desoto count at over 500,000. That would have been in a mid November as I recall.

Thursday- Got up fixed coffee and breakfast for DW, sent her off to w**k. Finished packing and drove to our daugther's apt, about 2.5 hrs away. Took down some drapies, fixed a few door jams (sanding, wood filler, sanding, painting) vacumned, took down some light fixtures, Went to lunch and dinner (at two of Guy Fieri 3D recommended places). On the way home from dinner we stopped and got some frozen yogart. Good day got it all done. Hope the apt folks feel the same way and return all her deposit.

Discovered this stone tool near the old trail running across our property.

Wonder what rate of return the owner used in his/her retirement model?

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 3
Yesterday I had a new furness/AC installed...bye, bye $$.

I've had to call for repairs 3 or 4 times over the last two years and enough is enough. It scares me when new, odd smells come thru the heating vents, not knowing if your house is going to burn down or something.

Anyway, I'm now the proud owner of a Trane 95% efficiency furness with a variable speed blower and an add-on humidifier along with a really nifty programable thermostat.

One thing I did learn with the last repair (bad circuit board) was the tech had to hard wire my blower/fan and by-pass the circuit board, for one day, until they could install the new furness. The blower was running all the time and that bothered me, since, I don't understand the workings of a furness. So, I did some snooping on the internet and found that some techs run their blowers all the time. So, I felt better after I found that (didn't worry any more).

That night, the air in my house felt so much better with that blower running all the time. So, that's the reason I bought the variable-speed blower. Anyway, I'm very happy with my new system and hopefully no more repairs for awhile.

I've been filling out the "American Community Survey", which the U.S. Dept of Commerce Economics and Statistics Administration U.S. Census Bureau has assured me is required by federal law. I'm an hour into it and now I need to research the Quicken data.

I'm not concerned about the accuracy of my answers. I'm more concerned that any inaccuracies will be held against us for the rest of our lives.

21 multi-part questions on housing followed by 48 more multi-part questions for "Person1" and "Person2". I've been informed that "Person3" is no longer considered a resident, although the IRS may grant me the privilege of claiming her as a dependent.

I look forward to the day when Google's bots will complete this survey for us. Probably more quickly and more accurately, too...

The best type to buy is the jackshaft type that goes on the side of the doors. They are quieter and can be easily installed.
Looks like those have come a long way. They get rid of that long chain & motor in the middle of the ceiling, too, as well as a tedious lubrication problem...

(actually yesterday) Introduction to the joy and exhilaration of cystoscopy

Attachments

• thumbnail-1.aspx.jpeg
    thumbnail-1.aspx.jpeg
    5.3 KB · Views: 128
Yikes!

I sure hope this was as an observer, or if not, under the influence of a general anesthetic....

Awake for every single second of it, baby. I'm pretty sure it was the size of telephone pole and coated in sandpaper.

Cleaned out the cabinet in my laundry room. I had a bunch of plastic bags that were taking up too much room in there, so I stuffed an empty upright tissue box with some of the bags. Much neater and takes up very little space. :D

Yeppers, that's what I've done today. :whistle:

*SIGH*

I dealt with an outbreak of politics on a message board I moderate. I really, really hate these new eternal campaigns. It's so calm here, relatively speaking. Thank you, neighborhood moderator persons.

Gumby, it could be worse. I'll see your cystoscope and raise you a box of catheters. I've got a prostate biopsy lined up for Monday. Local anesthetic only. :-( Oy. They couldn't spare maybe a little happy juice?

I purchased a little fiberglass camper trailer in December and am having fun updating it.

My current project is to make it more electrically efficient so it can boondock longer on its battery power. I'm replacing the lights with LED panels off eBay and building little voltage regulators to protect the cheap LEDs. As an ME, my electronic knowledge is pretty basic, but you can learn anything on the internet. I've also discovered that you can buy just about any electronic component for pennies if you wait for it to be mailed from China.

I'm patient.

Awake for every single second of it, baby. I'm pretty sure it was the size of telephone pole and coated in sandpaper.
I'm not sure if we're discussing the doctor's instruments or the object of their application, but I bet this one is good for about 40 double-entendres...

Back on track for a second, I hope everything [-]came out all right[/-] is OK. And I sincerely hope this isn't associated with occupational exposure to ionizing radiation!

Gumby, it could be worse. I'll see your cystoscope and raise you a box of catheters. I've got a prostate biopsy lined up for Monday. Local anesthetic only. :-( Oy. They couldn't spare maybe a little happy juice?

Yes, it very well could have been worse. I hope everything goes well on Monday. I'll be thinking about you.

Went to a meetup today in Dayton at the 2nd Street Market. Lots of neat stuff for sale. The reaction of my hip to the concrete floor reminded me why I retired.

The "American Community Survey" census form is finally out of here. 38 minutes to research and complete, my ass. I had to look up old utility expenses and tax records to answer their questions.

They don't have a good category for "ER". I'm either going to get a phone call from the property appraiser or a social worker asking me if we need help paying our mortgage or sewer bill.

I sent snail-mail letters to Wounded Warrior Program and Fisher House about the book's royalties. The donations were made from my Fidelity charitable gift fund with the notation
In honor of the contributors to the book "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Please use this contribution where it's needed most. See [blog URL] or e-mail [Nords].
That let me keep the donations anonymous (no name or address in their donor database) while providing them the book's contact information. I hope the followup letters will inspire a response.

I also sent letters to a local newspaper journalist & a radio show host. They might see a publicity difference between "writing a book" and "donated a bunch of royalty dollars". I also let them know about the seminar next month at Kailua Library, so maybe we'll get publicity out of that too.

In a couple weeks I have a guest post coming up in another popular personal-finance blog. It occurred to me that a bunch of their readers would come storming over to my blog and end up wandering around the sidebars in confusion over what to read next. So I spent a couple hours re-arranging the header menu and added a "**Start here!**" title. I was going to go with a static landing page of the "Start here" info but I decided that's mighty annoying after the first visit. Hopefully the menu option's not too subtle.

Note that rearranging all of those electrons did not actually generate a new post. Whaddya DO all day indeed.

I'm planning a rip-roaring Saturday night of paying some of Dad's bills and starting his tax returns. John Hancock sent his Form 1099-LTC today so all the pieces are in place...

I purchased a little fiberglass camper trailer in December and am having fun updating it.

My current project is to make it more electrically efficient so it can boondock longer on its battery power. I'm replacing the lights with LED panels off eBay and building little voltage regulators to protect the cheap LEDs. As an ME, my electronic knowledge is pretty basic, but you can learn anything on the internet. I've also discovered that you can buy just about any electronic component for pennies if you wait for it to be mailed from China.

I'm patient.

All right! Another ER member is going camping!

Prior to our long RV trip in summer 2011, I had converted most of the interior lights in our MH to LED, and I was very pleased. I had experimented with small circular LED panels like the following, at around $1.50 a piece. I bought samples from 3 different vendors, and although they all claimed "warm white", they were too yellowish, and one even a bit greenish. Additionally, I found that none of them put out enough light, which should not be surprising because the output was rated at only 90 lumens at a max current of less than 100mA.

50-121-large.jpg

So, I looked up the specs of the incandescent bulb that I was trying to replace, and found out that the common #1073 bulb put out 400 lumens, while consuming 23W. That seemed about right, as 4 of the circular LED panels appeared to be about as bright as the incandescent bulb. But I did not like the color.

S8_SC_01.jpg

So, I bought a sample of the following type, was pleased, and ended up buying 10 more. I paid something like $6/each on ebay. They were rated at 10W and put out 600 lumens. The color was soft white and even less yellowish than the incandescent. It was smaller than a penny. Even though the light output was diffused over a hemisphere (not focused like a LED flashlight), it was still so bright I could not look directly at it!

led10w-w.jpg

This LED assembly had an aluminum substrate, which had to be mounted onto a metal backplate for cooling, else the LED would burn up. It took 1A max at a voltage of around 10V. A regulator is a necessity, as the current rises up exponentially with voltage. The LED would be burned out with the 12V battery voltage, which even rises up to 14.4V when under charge.

So, I built a small regulator circuit, which along with the LED was mounted inside the stock light fixture. The circuit has a dimmer knob to control the light intensity. I found out that it was too bright, and set up the circuit such that the current would be no more than 0.6A, even when the user turned the knob to max level.

Thought I would mention this for you to try. You can get it from several Chinese vendors on ebay by searching for "LED 10W warm white".

PS. I have found that one can get 12V CFL fixtures that has the same efficiency as the above LED. However, I think I like the LED color better, plus the LED can be dimmed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom