what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove down to Aberdeen to look at another two properties for sale. One of them is a small vacant lot right in the middle of town, and the other about a quarter acre, which is actually in the adjoining smaller city of Cosmopolis. I'm still thinking about the small lot, which is even less expensive than the one I looked at last fall, but also not as nice a property. I'll pass on the other one. I can't afford to buy it right now and wouldn't pay what they are asking if I could.

Cleared last nights 3-4" snowfall from around the property (walkways, deck, parking areas, etc) and refilled the woodbin. Then DW and I went to a college hockey game with SIL and a friend, then out to dinner at a new place.

What I think of regarding Aberdeen: we were on a car trip and in Aberdeen I decided to take a nap while Lena drove. I woke up 45 min later and we were in the same place. Lena had gotten lost and driven in a big circle.

For the tinkering RV'ers among us, I want to share how I frugally retrofitted the stock RV light fixtures. I drilled and mounted the dimmer knob, as shown below. I found a research paper showing how high temperatures would drastically shorten the life of these LEDs, but the metal back plate of the fixture was thin stock that would not conduct heat well. I took one lens cover off to show how I used a flattened 1" copper pipe strap as a heat spreader.

img_1155741_0_2895884a099623e29b0b421c35ae50ec.jpg

The underside photo shows the electronics tucked in the little recess space of the fixture. It is a switching regulator, less than 1 cubic inch in volume, that I designed using parts that I had on hand. My circuit is a DC/DC converter for better efficiency, but even so I still put a heatsink on the IC. It uses a small toroid inductor that is behind the electrolytic caps. There are several simpler linear regulator circuit diagrams that one can find on the Web and which would be easier to duplicate. But watch out for heat!!!

Each fixture was connected to the existing wiring with its own 1A inline fuse. Do not rely on the 20A main fuse, as it will take much less than 20A to set the electronic circuit on fire if something goes wrong!

I converted 9 of the RV fixtures, and when I turned them all on, my wife asked for her shades!

img_1155741_1_f4985b42e1b7f29ad1bd20a2933cb34e.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoying a lazy morning on ER.org seeking wisdom as my DS is not feeling well and relaxing on the sofa next to me as he watch cartoons. DW and DD at church and off to have a girl's brunch.

Went to see The Descendants and found it worthy of all its Oscar nominations.

I didn't realize it was set in Hawaii (so well-set that Hawaii is almost another character).

Two hours at the rental house weed-whacking the grass and pruning the shrubs.

The tenants have a 15-foot papaya tree and three 15-foot banana trees. They're all out of control with fruit. But they're the best tenants we've ever had, they're taking care of the fruit (and the water bills), and they're probably going to rent for another four years. We can live with a few fruit trees beating up the property.

Went to see The Descendants and found it worthy of all its Oscar nominations.
I didn't realize it was set in Hawaii (so well-set that Hawaii is almost another character).
Kauai lives for these opportunities. Notice how the movie was released during the Mainland winter?

M Paquette said:
I've got a prostate biopsy lined up for Monday.

Done. I've had teeth cleanings at the dentist that were worse. Heck, the silly self-administered enema was worse than the biopsy. (note to self: next time, warm the darn thing before using it.)

The whole thing is done through a port in an ultrasound probe about the size of a forefinger, but smoother. The doc coated the probe with a lidocaine gel (warmed, even!) that numbed the rectal wall a bit, then injected lidocaine through the port to numb things up further. The only sensation was an odd feeling of coolness in the core of my body with the injections.

A total of 16 samples were taken, using a spring loaded gadget, guided through the port in the ultrasound probe. The first sample startled me, just from the *CLICK* *SNAP* sound. The only sensation was a slight, momentary pressure. "Hold still, please..."

*CLICK* *SNAP*
*CLICK* *SNAP*
*CLICK* *SNAP*

"OK, we're done."

I'm on Cipro, a potent antibiotic that I started the day before and will continue a couple days after, to reduce the odds of infection. The only sensation down there now that the lidocaine has worn off is a slight soreness, as though I had been constipated, or the ole 'rhoids had been acting up. I have to take it easy for a few days until the assorted little holes (like 18 gauge wire) heal up. Results in a week or two.

The plan for the rest of the day involves loafing. I'm getting better at that with practice.

Thanks for the [-]blow-by-blow[/-] *CLICK* *SNAP* description of the procedure. Sounds far less unpleasant than I envisioned - not that I can actually see back there even if I wanted to. :)

REWahoo said:
Thanks for the [-]blow-by-blow[/-] *CLICK* *SNAP* description of the procedure. Sounds far less unpleasant than I envisioned - not that I can actually see back there even if I wanted to. :)

I thought it might be nice to put my experience out there to counterbalance the horror stories I've heard. "So, I've got a prostate the size of a grapefruit, and now I have to get a biopsy. They stuck a stapler and twelve knitting needles in me, they did! With Tabasco sauce for anesthetic!"

It's an invasive procedure, with a little risk. I learned that it's nothing to be nervous about from a pain or discomfort aspect, though.

After 2-mile walk and breakfast, went for my annual medical exam (which takes a while as it also regularly includes an ultrasound to monitor a benign condition that we hope stays that way). Then off cross town to the IRS office (in a grungy shopping center :( - but at least our tax dollars aren't being wasted on high rents ;)). This is because I need to file 2 1099-MISC forms for service providers who helped me start up my consulting business last year, and I found out Saturday that you can't just print them from QuickBooks or fill out forms from the IRS website - they have to be on the official red IRS printed forms :confused:. I didn't feel like spending $$$ at the office store to buy a whole bunch when I only need 2. Forms in hand, had a really nice pho lunch at a little Vietnamese place and then off to a meeting at a nonprofit I volunteer with. Checked out a store I've been meaning to go into for awhile (and decided I won't shop there, but at least it's off the list). Now hanging out in a Starbucks before another meeting as it wasn't worth the 30-mile roundtrip home in between. Then I'll go directly to the first rehearsal of the season for a community choir I like to sing with. Warned DH he was on his own for dinner - I'll probably heat up leftovers. Whew - I'm tired just writing all this! Tomorrow I get to do the 1099s and get them in the mail, oh joy!

Went skating as usual on Mondays. Was colder than a Witches Teat in there. Then I reminded myself that in the days of yore skating was done outside, in the wind, snow, whatever.

After 2 hours of scratching up the ice had nearly frostbitten toes, lilly white they were. The initial clue was the Johnson Controls truck parked at the service entrance.

20 minute ride to the cafe, heater on full blast aimed at the [-]gas pedal[/-] toes took care of the problem, then a hot cuppa just mellowed the rest of the body.

... and I found out Saturday that you can't just print them from QuickBooks or fill out forms from the IRS website - they have to be on the official red IRS printed forms :confused:. I didn't feel like spending $$$ at the office store to buy a whole bunch when I only need 2.
This may only be helpful next year, but IIRC the red forms can be ordered by mail from the IRS website for free. I bet 95% of the sales at the office-supply store are during the week before the deadline.

Next year you could even cheat a little... print up the plain black & white ones for the recipients and get those in the mail to them. Order the red ones from the IRS when they're available, and when they finally arrive then you can print & file them. They may be late but the IRS will never complain about it because they can barely get the red forms printed up every year in time for filers.

It's been a few years since I had to go through the 1099 shuffle, and I don't miss it a bit.

Engaged in hand-to-hand combat with Dreyfus, USBank, AMEX

I did my taxes today. As soon as VG makes its brokerage data available, I will download and do the final reckoning and double check. No taxes are due to NYS :dance:, federal refund is $1600 so far. :D

Mr B has night classes tonight, so I will just hang out tonight and surf. We are both struggling with a cold bug HE CAUGHT and gave to me. :mad:
Kleenex, Mucinex, and hot tea with lemon are my best arsenal of cold fighting weapons.

Last day or w*rk today. A bit surreal. Went to the office and turned in my laptop, work id, etc. Feels good/strange.

Now sorting out insurance, cell phone, etc that was previously provided by my employer.

Last day or w*rk today. A bit surreal. Went to the office and turned in my laptop, work id, etc. Feels good/strange.

Now sorting out insurance, cell phone, etc that was previously provided by my employer.

Congratulations! I raise a glass in your honor.

Worked. :( However, tomorrow I'm heading to NC to spend the week with my mom & sisters, daughter, grandaughter etc. My mom's 82nd birthday is on Thursday, Feb 9th, and I want to spend it with her. We'll be taking mom out for a nice dinner. I wanted to throw her a big birthday bash, but my sister leaked the plan, and mom said she really didn't want all that. So....just a nice, quiet evening. Doesn't matter, as long as I get to spend it with her.

Congratulations ! Sleep in tomorrow !

Rode my exercise bike for the first time in about a year. Trying to make good on my New Year's Resolution (oh..I started a month late :angel:).

Boy, do I feel out of shape.

Congratulations ! Sleep in tomorrow !

Thanks. Believe it or not, I had a dentist appointment tomorrow at 8am that is a half hour from home that I had scheduled a long time ago, before moving or pulling the trigger. I decided that was absolutely NOT the way to begin my retirement so I rescheduled it.

I do hope to take a picture of the sunrise in the morning a la the Prudential Financial commercials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom