Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #7721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today I finally wrapped up my furniture shopping and ordered new family room furniture . My old furniture was sixteen years old and starting to show it's age though I have to say Broyhill furniture lasts until I am sick of it and that was the case . I also found new curtains which match perfectly . Now all I need are the accessories and I am good to go . I'm going to give my old set away probably on Craig's list unless one of my friends know someone who needs furniture . I had two large projects for this year the family room & our bedroom . I am going to have the bedroom painted , new carpet , new ceiling fan & new closet fixtures . We were thinking of moving but with the real estate market flat we'll just keep on improving until things pick up.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #7722
Moderator Emeritus

Asked Impact to quickly mail me more author's copies of "The Military Guide". I'm running low already.

Spouse spent three hours on her own cruising greater Oahu tile stores for the familyroom remodel. She found enough to make her happy. Just not having to go through that sort of "shopping" (not "buying") makes me happy. Next week we start calling roofing contractors.

While we were running errands this afternoon, I drove the car through a yellow light in the left-turn lane. As I made it across the intersection, the light turned red. I also noticed a minivan tucked up against my rear bumper to make it through the light with me, and as we straightened out on the road he zoomed on by me in a hurry to make the next light. A few seconds later a HPD patrol car pulled abreast. The driver paused long enough to give me stinkeye, then zoomed ahead and pulled over the minivan. Whew.

Our NROTC daughter got her Navy aviation week check ride in a T-34. She's concluded that it was a thrilling ride but naval aviators are still nuts. She still has to work through the next two weeks with the Marines and the surface warriors before she gets to submarine week...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #7723
Recycles dryer sheets

First post on this thread, FIRE/retired 4.5 mos ago @55. Yesterday I finished rebuilding my 10x16 raised deck (did it myself but would reccomend getting help on heavy boards that need suppport at each end (e.g. replaceing the two 10" 16 foot beam boards, but everyone I know was working when I was ready to put them up, lol), Replaced everthing but the header board and three posts - cost about 600 for wood and 200 for brackets, bolts, screws...). Took about three weeks including multiple Lowes runs and two dump runs (initial water/UV seal not yet done).

Third major home project since I retired, more fun and beats the heck out of being in an office all day. think I'll take the summer off, although I did squeeze a nice one week cruise in during April.

I know someone is going to ask, why pressure treated, instead of synthetic? I went with the PT only because I plan on moving in about three years. Materials are roughly 1/3 the cost. There are some calculators out their that give you the payback time, they vary a little and the ones I looked at were on synthetic manufacturer websites. But my guess was a 10 year breakeven point. If I wasn't planning a move from my ultra low cost of living location in Northern Virginia (sarcastically speaking) I would definitly have gone with synthetic. There are 4 brands available now I believe... no longer just TREX.
Life is good
Old 06-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #7724
Give me a forum ...

Picked up DH's prescription this morning and there was no charge. A little while back we hit our maximum out-of-pocket expenses. So, we can get all kinds of sick until the end of this year without having to pay a dime. ..........

Yes folks, it's official...I've done lost mah mind....
Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #7725
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
Picked up DH's prescription this morning and there was no charge. A little while back we hit our maximum out-of-pocket expenses. So, we can get all kinds of sick until the end of this year without having to pay a dime. ..........

Yes folks, it's official...I've done lost mah mind....
Free colonoscopies all 'round.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #7726
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Free colonoscopies all 'round.
"Here's lookin' at you!" On second thought, "Cheers!" "Bottoms up!"

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #7727
Give me a forum ...

I refilled all the cartridges in the main printer today. Nice when they are all low at the same time.

It's fun and easy but scary because if ink got to the wrong place it would be a disaster. This printer is in the living room. I put a tarp down just to transfer the cartridges to the garage.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #7728
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Workout this morning, Ice skating in the afternoon. Love this this retirement stuff. Plus the senior discount at the rink buys a great cup of coffee and an oatmeal raisin cookie. I had to cough up 50 cents for the newspaper so I could do the crossword puzzle.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #7729
Recycles dryer sheets

I have spent the day trying to make unhappy people happy, stupid people smarter, clueless people more aware and anal retentive accountants a little less constipated.

I think this )(*&)#* weather is driving people nuts.

Nui

*only 393 more days
Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #7730
Give me a forum ...

Fabricated and welded together a subsoiler attachment for my tractor. Then I used it to try to find a lost drainage pipe. It was kind of fun to do some welding again, then test it to see if it was any good.

Another answer for "what do you do all day" queries.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #7731

Promoted to LTJG (O2E) at the Mets game at Citi Field today

p.s. - and the Mets actually came back to win!!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #7732
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
Promoted to LTJG (O2E) at the Mets game at Citi Field today

p.s. - and the Mets actually came back to win!!
That's great!

Oh, and it was nice that you got promoted, too.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #7733
Give me a forum ...

Busy day today...the housecleaner came, I moved all of my container plants outdoors, I mowed the back yard and did some laundry...all this going on while Mr B put in 6 hours of volunteer w*rk setting up for the Legion convention. He is feeling good enough to do that type of thing now and is officially off no-strenuous activity restrictions.
I'm scheduled to cook breakfast for the Convention, with a 6 AM showup time tomorrow. I will get free breakfast, Bloody Marys all AM, and the satisfaction of bailing out a very shorthanded cooking crew.
All in all a good deal.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #7734
Recycles dryer sheets

I finished a long list of things I wanted to get done when I retired yesterday. The last one was painting the house which was a PITA. Now I'm working on a few 7oz Coronas and looking forward to playing golf in the morning. I'm not working on anything the rest of the summer unless it's on fire and I can't run fast enough to get away from it.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #7735

Today was Day 1 of our 2 day garage sale. We've been planning for this for a few weeks, gathering items, organizing and pricing things. We've had to park our cars out on the driveway because we had so much garage sale stuff in the garage. We were going to be very short on table space to display all this stuff but our son came through with borrowing 3 nice sized banquet tables from one of his theater connections.

Last year our city made an ordinance that prohibits yard sale signs anywhere but on your own property so we could not place signs around the neighborhood. That really cuts down on your exposure, so instead we had a large sign in our front yard for the last few days. I also placed an ad in the local paper and a detailed ad on Craigslist.

My DH had a lot of electronics and camping gear. One of the sons had die cast construction toys, HO scale trains and a bike. I had housewares including dishes, storage containers and some of our wedding gifts from 1976. I figured if I hadn't used those silver platters and crystal candleholders by now, maybe I don't need them around.

DH sold most of his electronics and our son sold his bike and all of his HO scale trains. I sold $10 worth of Tupperware and nothing else. I guess nobody else needs my 35 year old wedding gifts either.

I'll drop the prices for Day 2 and if things don't sell I'm going to have to decide of it all goes to Goodwill or if I bring the stuff back in and try eBay.

Overall, we've made about $300 so far, about half of that belongs to our son for the stuff he sold.

Most asked about item - a Technics SL-1300 turntable. People notice it and drool over it and 2 guys have said they may come back for it. I really hope it sells and I'll throw in a silverplated water pitcher for free!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #7736

We're on vacation this week in NC. Spent time with the granddaughter (4yrs old). Met my best friend since high school for lunch. Went out to dinner (seafood) with mom (81 yrs), my wife, youngest sister (49), her boyfriend, mom & granddaughter. Had a real nice time today, and really...the whole week was great. After this week's vacation, I still have 3 weeks that I have to take before the end of the year or I'll lose them, and no way I'll let that happen, so I'm thinking about coming back up here for my granddaughter's 5th birthday on August 14th. Life's good when you spend it with family & friends...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 06-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #7737
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finally got to mow all of my lawn as it has not rained for nearly a week. Planted some garden Tomatoes Squash and Peppers. Garden still too wet so planted everything in old tires to raise them above the grade. This took three days need a day off.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #7738

Was up until 4am recording a voice-over for a radio commercial. I don't work now, but this was a favor for a producer I used to work with. The commercial is for an investment trading product that involves leveraged ETF's, probably some fancy software, and who knows what other jiggery pokery. When I was working, the overwhelming majority of my voice work was representing a company that I knew very well and which I believed in. This one felt a bit weird. The first 30 seconds involved selling the product, and the second 30 seconds was just disclaimers (you could lose all your money etc etc).

I was very tempted to include a backwards subliminal message that when played forwards would say "Pssst.....Wellesley"
Old 06-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #7739
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday we collected 1-4" of rain all over Oahu, with impressive lightning displays. Not exactly inspiring surfing weather.

It looked like more of the same enroute dawn patrol this morning, but after 30 minutes the rain cleared over Ewa & White Plains. The water had cooled off considerably from yesterday's weather and it felt like February all over again. We could watch the lightning a few miles away from the lineup as Honolulu was getting soaked, but the waves were worth the miserable cold water and the windchill.

Unfortunately I stripped out the screw on my center fin and didn't have a spare in the car. But my shoulders are telling me now that I stayed too long anyway.

Six feet today with promise of 6-8 by Monday. I'll be there. It'll give me a chance to make sure my daughter's 7'9" board isn't getting all dried out while she's on summer training...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #7740

Day 2 of our garage sale has ended and overall it's been a success. DH sold his Technics SL-1300 turntable and a woman bought 3 out of the 4 silver pieces and both sets of candle holders for a bargain price. We gave away a set of dishes for free at closing time. Our son ended up with $330 and we netted $336, so I'll call that a success. Most of the remaining stuff will go to Goodwill next week.

I'm torn over a wood desk that didn't sell, even when I dropped the price to $15. It was my Dad's, when my parents moved to a condo in 1995 they gave it to me and it's been in my living room. It's "Early American" maple and kind of small for a desk. I used to think it was "good furniture" because my parents used to buy at Ethan Allen but it's obvious this was not purchased there. The knee hole is short and narrow, just not comfortable. When I cleaned it out all I had in it was old junk. The only thing we used it for was a place to put down the laundry basket when I came up from the basement. I've lived with it many years and now I can't find someone to take it off my hands.

I put it at the curb with signs saying "FREE TAKE ME" but it started to rain so we moved it into the garage. I'll get tough and move it back to the curb.