Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #7741

I walked to the drugstore (about 5 blocks) to bring in a presciption. We spent the afternoon vegging out on the patio taling, reading and napping. A wonderfully relaxing day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #7742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I'm torn over a wood desk that didn't sell, even when I dropped the price to $15.

I've lived with it many years and now I can't find someone to take it off my hands.

I put it at the curb with signs saying "FREE TAKE ME" but it started to rain so we moved it into the garage. I'll get tough and move it back to the curb.
I'm also trying to sell old furniture. Today I sold a church pew for $150. It worked very well in the hallway as a place to sit and take off my boots. But I am going to donate most of my unwanted furniture, because the bottom has gone out of the used furniture market. Around here there are many baby boomers downsizing, flooding the market with traditional and antique stuff. And lifestyles are changing. Style is more minimalist, and nobody buys a piece of furniture just to fill a space.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #7743
Give me a forum ...

Not today, but this week.....

I spent 5 days in northern Saskatchewan on health related business. I was working with a great team. I got to travel in several small planes including the smallest I will probably ever fly in, which is ironic since I am a white knuckle flyer but it was a lot of fun.

Here are some pictures taken with my Blackberry. Can anyone explain the optical illusion that the propeller blades are horizontal? I am not in the photos, BTW.

1. Beechcraft King Air 100 (9 passengers)
2. View from Piper Navajo (7 passengers, big windows, great views!)
3. Cessna 185 Skywagon floatplane (4 passengers, old, unpressurized and tiny)
4. Piper Navajo
5. Saab 380B (34 passengers)
Old 06-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #7744
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Here are some pictures taken with my Blackberry. Can anyone explain the optical illusion that the propeller blades are horizontal?
We hope that's an optical illusion, and not imminent material failure?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #7745
Administrator

Quote:

I have flown in a King Air. It's a sweet plane, and fast!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #7746
Give me a forum ...

My son and DIL and granddaughter came by and we walked up to the park and played and when we got cold and hungry walked down and got hamburgers.

There is no way I would rather spend my time. At the bar, some guy was playing Mick Jagger and ZZ Top on the jukebox, granddaugher Chloe got up and danced.

Ha
Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #7747
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not today, but this week.....

I spent 5 days in northern Saskatchewan on health related business. I was working with a great team. I got to travel in several small planes including the smallest I will probably ever fly in, which is ironic since I am a white knuckle flyer but it was a lot of fun.

Here are some pictures taken with my Blackberry. Can anyone explain the optical illusion that the propeller blades are horizontal? I am not in the photos, BTW.

2. View from Piper Navajo (7 passengers, big windows, great views!)
3. Cessna 185 Skywagon floatplane (4 passengers, old, unpressurized and tiny)
4. Piper Navajo
5. Saab 380B (34 passengers)
The only one of those that I would fly on was the Saab 380 B .
Old 06-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #7748
Give me a forum ...

Prop: My guess is that the camera is "scanning" from one side to the other. The prop is going so fast that as the scan progresses the prop has moved.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #7749
Give me a forum ...

I'm goofing off, listening to digital cable music from the1970s while Mr B attends yet another meeting. He is really getting into this Legion stuff. I haven't heard him say he wanted to get a part time j*b in months.

I sold my 2003 vintage, way too heavy Riyobi weedwhacker today to a very close guy friend for $50. It started right up after 1 year of no use. He has a lot of heavy brush to cut down, so the interchangeable metal blade will w*rk perfectly for his needs. He is one happy camper. And I didn't have to mess with advertising it or having strangers come to the house to offer me an unfair price.

I guess I better figure out what we are having for dinner. Frozen fish sticks sounds easy.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #7750
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My son and DIL and granddaughter came by and we walked up to the park and played and when we got cold and hungry walked down and got hamburgers.

There is no way I would rather spend my time. At the bar, some guy was playing Mick Jagger and ZZ Top on the jukebox, granddaugher Chloe got up and danced.

Ha
That sounds like the perfect day to me also. Family, park, good music.

We are going to CA to see our granddaughter toward the end of the month. I can't wait. Skyping is nice, but no substitute for having her in my arms!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #7751
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fencing on one side

and mulching on another side
Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #7752
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of writing today. I'm slowly catching up on the PMs, e-mails, and blog updates.

In the last week we've had several inches of rain, including 1-4" in a 16-hour gully-washing period. Now just about every plant (and weed) in our yard has exploded with joy. Today's special assignment was removing all the weedy bitter-melon vines that have worked their way into the regular plantings. I'm going to have to resort to nuclear RoundUp for the nutgrass.

One of our papaya trees has over two dozen softball-sized papaya on it. In the last couple weeks of rain it's sprouted two new branches, each of which now have another half-dozen papaya on them. (I guess it's hermaphroditic.) I've never seen that before, and I don't think I ever want to see it again. They're all going to simultaneously ripen at 1:45 PM on Friday 24 June.

We had a personal visit from a nice young man opening a new Edward Jones office in our neighborhood. He was wearing in his shoe leather to greet his potential new customers before returning to his climate-controlled cubicle to start collecting those commissions. Until last week he was commuting 18 miles each way to the downtown office now so he's really happy to be opening a new office in his own neighborhood.

Unfortunately he pressed me a little too hard to tell him just why we manage our own investments. After the third time he asked me if he could notify me of any "opportunities", I told him that I was already busy enough researching angel investments. Then I launched into a short recap of the Hawaii entrepreneurial startup scene. I finally let him go when he started chewing his arm off...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #7753
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did way more work than I wanted to! Cut the lawn, trimmed the bushes, did some edging, and then made some beef kabobs for dinner (which my darn 13 year twins didn't like!

Maybe tomorow I will follow the teachings of my favorite song:

If you ever get annoyed
Look at me I'm self-employed
I love to work at nothing all day
And I'll be...
Taking care of business every day
Taking care of business every way
I've been taking care of business, it's all mine
Taking care of business and working overtime
Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #7754
Give me a forum ...

If you like Randy Bachman, check out his radio show:

CBC.ca | Vinyl Tap
Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #7755

Spent the weekend in Burnet, TX at my family reunion. Dad's family settled in the hill country in the late 1800s and many are still there so there was a great turnout.

It was a great weekend and interesting to observe dad's brothers and sisters. Dad is the youngest at 72 and the oldest still living is 87. I came away with a renewed appreciation for keeping one's weight down and staying fit and active.

The 87 year old is in the best shape both mentally and physically. She exercised all her life and has been thin her whole life as well.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #7756
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Spent the weekend in Burnet, TX at my family reunion.
BTW, for you folks who may not know, the proper pronunciation is best remembered as:

BURNET, DURNIT, LEARNIT

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #7757
Give me a forum ...

Went to pharmacy to pick up my medications (mouthwash, antibiotics, pain meds) for mouth surgery (gum grafting) and shopped at the grocery store for my food I can eat while healing. I’ll have surgery this Wednesday.

The periodontist gave me a sheet detailing what I will have done and the costs of each procedure. A month ago I had a frenectomy and that has healed well. Noted on the procedure sheet, they had listed i. v. sedation for my surgery. My frugal self thought, ‘I don’t need no stinkin’ i. v. sedation’. I know they have a pill that can be taken before a procedure and I wanted to go that route. Besides, it was much less expensive.

I asked several questions regarding said sedation. My last question was ‘what’s in the i. v.’? I was told there would be antibiotics, sedation medication and morphine.

Morphine.

I quickly told my frugal self there was no way a pill was gonna work…and to shut her trap. I will be having the i. v. sedation.

I’ll have to wear a stent in my mouth for four days/24 hours a day. During these four days I can expect some bleeding and my face will be bruised and swollen. The first week I can have ice cream, smoothies, mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. After the first week I can have normal food…however, it can not be hot, spicy, crunchy, or hard. I have other restrictions as well. The food/restrictions are to be followed until the end of this month.

2011 so far has turned out to be one heck of a year.

I need to have some fun at some point. Dadgumit. (pun intended)
Old 06-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #7758
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

2011 so far has turned out to be one heck of a year.

I need to have some fun at some point. Dadgumit. (pun intended)

I think Pina Colada's are on the approved list especially if made with ice cream !
Old 06-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #7759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We had a personal visit from a nice young man opening a new Edward Jones office in our neighborhood. He was wearing in his shoe leather to greet his potential new customers before returning to his climate-controlled cubicle to start collecting those commissions. Until last week he was commuting 18 miles each way to the downtown office now so he's really happy to be opening a new office in his own neighborhood.

Unfortunately he pressed me a little too hard to tell him just why we manage our own investments. After the third time he asked me if he could notify me of any "opportunities", I told him that I was already busy enough researching angel investments. Then I launched into a short recap of the Hawaii entrepreneurial startup scene. I finally let him go when he started chewing his arm off...
We had one going door to door in our neighbourhood about a year ago. Told her I was all into Vanguard index funds/etf's. She looked crestfallen, and didn't even bother to leave any brochures. Darn.

DD
Old 06-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #7760
Give me a forum ...

Here's hoping that it won't be as bad as it sounds!