Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #7821
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I love ceramic tile. It is not that hard to do and is so beautiful and long lasting. I tend to super analyze the job before I begin to make sure all the tiles will be square and there will be no slivers at the ends. When I see a tile job with narrow slivers or worse, very wide grout, it makes me sick.
It's easier when the walls are parallel and the corners are 90 degrees. Sadly, I seem to live in The Mystery Spot.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #7822
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had a umbilical hernia procedure this past Wednesday. Still recovering!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #7823
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Had a umbilical hernia procedure this past Wednesday. Still recovering!
So, is your outie now an innie?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #7824

Good question!! Won't know til the bandage comes off. Seeing the doc this coming Tuesday. Hopin it's a innie like before the hernia. Geez I hope I am not scarred for life!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #7825

Looking forward to absolutely gorgeous weather this week. Low humidity, highs in the low 80's, perfect for a motorcycle ride.

A nephew is getting married in NY state come October and DW gave her stamp of approval for spending ~$5k on camera gear (Nikon D7000, lenses, filters, flash, tripod, bag, etc.) in preparation for that. It makes me swallow hard to contemplate spending that much in one shot but looking forward to lots of new toys to play with.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #7826

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Back from Guatemala...

Just a few lines about what we saw this time around.
Thank you for what you do and who you are for doing it.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #7827
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It makes me swallow hard to contemplate spending that much in one shot but looking forward to lots of new toys to play with.
Sounds like a whole lot of pressure. One missed setting and the "Uncle Walt at the wedding" stories will ricochet for years...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #7828
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Looking forward to absolutely gorgeous weather this week. Low humidity, highs in the low 80's, perfect for a motorcycle ride.

A nephew is getting married in NY state come October and DW gave her stamp of approval for spending ~$5k on camera gear (Nikon D7000, lenses, filters, flash, tripod, bag, etc.) in preparation for that. It makes me swallow hard to contemplate spending that much in one shot but looking forward to lots of new toys to play with.
You have a great hobby, and (let's face it) you can afford it. So, might as well buy the camera gear without the slightest bit of guilt, and enjoy playing with it!

Also remember this the next time she wants $5K worth of stuff for her hobbies....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #7829
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Also remember this the next time she wants $5K worth of stuff for her hobbies....
Yeah, get her a really nice washing machine!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #7830
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Some men might do that! I'm sure our Walt would get her a really nice vacuum cleaner too....

Old 06-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #7831
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Quote:
Some men might do that! I'm sure our Walt would get her a really nice vacuum cleaner too....
I'l bet she hasn't even started shopping for the dress that she's going to wear to the wedding...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #7832
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'l bet she hasn't even started shopping for the dress that she's going to wear to the wedding...
Aha! There you go. She's going to look great in that $5K dress, too.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #7833
Give me a forum ...

Hi again I am still on the planet.

I recently found a home for something that has been hanging, unused, in my garage for over a decade. Today I delivered a barely used fishing pole (circa mid 1990s from my
what the h*ll was I thinking? Adirondack camping days), 12 fishing lures, split shot, swivel something or other clip thingies, and a package of 60 snelled hooks of all sizes, to a retired policeman. He w*rks PT as the day caretaker for a 25 year old autistic man with minimal verbalization skills. My new buddy (the retired cop) is going to take his client fishing on the shore of Oneida Lake for a change of pace.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41034.html

I can't wait to hear about the one that got away.

Two things amazed me. First surprise was that the 1990s price for the snelled hooks package was $1.86. Second surprise was the Made in USA label.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #7834
Give me a forum ...

A very large semi arrived at my new home at 0830h and the next three hours was spent delivering all my stuff and assembling anything that had been taken apart. I spent most of the rest of the day unpacking boxes and have completed approximately 30% of the job. I found a kitchen sink stopper and other kitchen sink accoutrements from my old house, as well as a few things that I had specifically indicated they were NOT to pack. And I finally got my makeup bag! I wonder sometimes what these people are thinking....

Anyway, by 8 pm I was sick of unwrapping individual spice jars, so I found my patio furniture, made a sandwich and enjoyed it with a glass of local red wine on the balcony, watching the sunset.

Tomorrow, china and books.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #7835

Quote:
Gee, thanks for the suggestion guy. Traitor to your gender...

Actually I have asked her if there's anything special/expensive she wants and she draws a blank. Right now what she wants most (and has) is time to look after her father without the distraction of having to earn a living. So she has that, a reliable car, a full pantry, an intact roof over her head and she's a happy camper.

I sure appreciate a girl that easy to please.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #7836

I suggest buying her a home theater system to show her the pictures you have taken. Top it off with some power tools (if there is money left).
Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #7837
gone traveling

Quote:
I stripped out the screw on my center fin...
I hate when that happens ...
Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #7838
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gee, thanks for the suggestion guy. Traitor to your gender...
I don't think any spouse needs the hint...

I'm just doing my share as part of the therapy group that's going to help prepare you for the trauma!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #7839
Moderator Emeritus

Coerced DW to stick her hand (mine got stuck) into the corvette to change a front blinker bulb. Maybe I can talk her into doing the next oil change.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #7840
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW informed me last night that her hobby was going to cost $12k over the next 12 months. At first I was a bit shocked, but then when I got to thinking about it, our ER budget for personal hobbies is about a thousand a month each. So, no problem. Actually we don't budget it right now as I'm still bringing home a paycheck. The nice thing about this particular hobby, though, is that if she gets good at it, she can actually sell the stuff she makes, perhaps at cost, perhaps for a modest profit. Either way, it will keep her busy, mentally challenged, and happy, and the sales (if she sells them) will offset the cost. Her hobby, by the way, is covering and decorating tea boxes. I'll try to post a pic when I can, but her work is really nice.

R