Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #7841
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
DW informed me last night that her hobby was going to cost $12k over the next 12 months. At first I was a bit shocked, but then when I got to thinking about it, our ER budget for personal hobbies is about a thousand a month each. So, no problem. Actually we don't budget it right now as I'm still bringing home a paycheck. The nice thing about this particular hobby, though, is that if she gets good at it, she can actually sell the stuff she makes, perhaps at cost, perhaps for a modest profit. Either way, it will keep her busy, mentally challenged, and happy, and the sales (if she sells them) will offset the cost. Her hobby, by the way, is covering and decorating tea boxes. I'll try to post a pic when I can, but her work is really nice.

R
That's a good hobby. I wish I have one that mentally challenges me, keeps me happy and eventually brings in some $$$. My sister has a hobby that does that - jewellery making. She sells the pieces she makes. I learnt from her a bit and made 3 pieces for myself. However, it's just too difficult on the eyes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #7842
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I talked to my daddy tonight...momma is about the same. She's comfortable.

Anyway, he told me a funny story about my Papa (his dad). When Papa was 85 (he had been a widower for a few years), one of his sons introduced him to a lady. They spent the afternoon together.

Daddy asked him how it went. Papa said, "It was fine. She's a nice enough lady, but I had to help her down the steps. Now, why would I want to marry a funeral expense?"

My Papa told it like it wuzz.....

Old 06-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #7843
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
DW informed me last night that her hobby was going to cost $12k over the next 12 months. At first I was a bit shocked, but then when I got to thinking about it, our ER budget for personal hobbies is about a thousand a month each. So, no problem. Actually we don't budget it right now as I'm still bringing home a paycheck. The nice thing about this particular hobby, though, is that if she gets good at it, she can actually sell the stuff she makes, perhaps at cost, perhaps for a modest profit. Either way, it will keep her busy, mentally challenged, and happy, and the sales (if she sells them) will offset the cost. Her hobby, by the way, is covering and decorating tea boxes. I'll try to post a pic when I can, but her work is really nice.

R
This is a sample pic of one of DW's tea boxes. This is a small one, sitting on top of our shoe cabinet. Sorry, I can't figure out how to get it to upload and show in the post properly...rotating it and saving it with a new file name before uploading didn't work.

R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teabox.jpg (729.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #7844

Packing for a short trip. later today I'll be heading for Faribault Mn to a cousin's place, then to Minneapolis for the Minnesota Street Rod Association's Back to the 50s weekend. Should be about 12,000 old cars there. Going in my cousin's 1928 Pontiac.

Minnesota Street Rod Association
Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #7845
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is a sample pic of one of DW's tea boxes. This is a small one, sitting on top of our shoe cabinet. Sorry, I can't figure out how to get it to upload and show in the post properly...rotating it and saving it with a new file name before uploading didn't work.

R
Here ya go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teabox[1].jpg (50.9 KB, 277 views)
Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #7846

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Here ya go...
Thank you!

R
Old 06-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #7847

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Back from Guatemala...

Just a few lines about what we saw this time around.

We set up another clinic in one of the poorest parts of Guatemala. Three clinicians (including myself) saw a few hundred patients over 10 days. Many of them were children.

Patients waited to see us, in the cold, outside the clinic from 5am.

The poverty there is extreme, and hygiene non existent.

Some people, including children, eat grass in the fields (it is the rainy season now, which helps).

Many young girls are pregnant, and many of them will die while walking to the only regional hospital because they do not arrive on time for a C section. It is really tragic.

Words are failing me, I am so sorry.

It will take me a few days to get back to normal.

Take care everyone.
I only just saw this post. Your wonderful voluntary work reminds me of a documentary called "The English Surgeon" about an English brain surgeon who donates time and equipment to perform brain surgeries in the Ukraine. It sounds as if the health care system where you are volunteering (if it can be called a health care system) is in much worse shape than the one in the Ukraine.

It must be hard to see the difficulties of your patients. Hopefully you've recovered enough by now to be able to go on with your day to day life here.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #7848
Give me a forum ...

So far...coffee, surfing, washed and hung up a load of laundry. I'm exhausted.

Mr B is off to his AM Legion coffee session, then a medical appt (all is well), then home until his evening Legion board meeting. It is great to see him so involved in volunteer w*rk he enjoys. He is using his computer admin and accounting skills to help several veterans groups and many individuals.

I have a few minor projects to accomplish until he gets back. The back lawn needs mowing, so maybe I'll muster up some energy, throw on a skimpy top and bathing suit bottom so I get some tanning time in, and hop on the JD lawn tractor.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #7849
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

R

Very nice box ! She could probably sell them on etsy .
Old 06-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #7850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I don't think any spouse needs the hint...

I'm just doing my share as part of the therapy group that's going to help prepare you for the trauma!
I did suggest she start thinking about a dress to wear to the wedding. Her response? "Well, I have the one I wore to (niece's) wedding last year so I can wear that one since I've only worn it once and (this group) has never seen it, and maybe buy another for the rehearsal dinner."

And if she spends a nickel over $150 it will be a first.

So this doesn't concern me at all. And if she did go wildly out of character and spend $500 on a dress I'd say "It's about time you treated yourself!"

As long as she didn't get used to that, of course.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #7851
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Today I drove 1053 Km (643 miles) from . I saw every variation of prairie and was reminded how beautiful it is at this time of year. The prairies are completely waterlogged; even Saskatchewan has lakes it never had before!
That sounds beautiful! I once took Via Rail across Canada and was dying to see the prairies, but a train derailment up the line delayed us and we went through at night. Guess I'll have to plan another trip.... it's on my bucket list.

Have fun in the Rockies!

Nui
Old 06-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #7852
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And if she spends a nickel over $150 it will be a first.

So this doesn't concern me at all. And if she did go wildly out of character and spend $500 on a dress I'd say "It's about time you treated yourself!"

As long as she didn't get used to that, of course.
I did spend $200 on a dress for my daughter's wedding and then I sold it on ebay for $189 .
Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #7853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I did spend $200 on a dress for my daughter's wedding and then I sold it on ebay for $189 .
I'm impressed! I could not see myself paying that much money for a dress, but I certainly would if I could recoup that much money. Way to go!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #7854
Give me a forum ...

I finally got around to fixing up Lena's old bike and put it on Craigslist:

Then we went on a walk and I did some planking:

Old 06-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #7855
Recycles dryer sheets

W*rked. Hard.

I'd rather be planking.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #7856
Moderator Emeritus

All done with the bathroom remodel. Gave myself a day off. Picked up breads at Wild Flour Bakery in Freestone. Went to lunch at Pt. Reyes Cafe, and greatly enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich. (No doubt loaded with deadly carcinogens, which of course adds to the flavor!)
Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #7857
Give me a forum ...

I got up at 630 AM to see Mr B off to his Legion College weekend.
Look out, world, I am a free agent for 3 days.

I caught up on email, watched it rain off and on all day, checked out my new tan (yes I used SPF 50 spray on sunscreen) in my dressing mirror, and emptied the dishwasher.

I surfed, doing some summer dress sale hunting. I added a few overpriced ones to various wish lists, awaiting the next irresistible email discount offer. I have ordered some gorgeous summer dresses for as little as $20 and as much as $35 over the last 2 weeks. Now is the time to grab some great deals, ladies.

Just for fun, I have a bid in on this Rockabilly style
sexy~BLACK/RED~rockabilly~FLARE~roses~SUN~DRESS~2X~3X | eBay
and bought this one outright
50s Vintage Cherry Floral Swing Dress Rockabilly 2X | eBay
I like the fitted bodice and loose circle skirt design, a perfect combo for my body type. I selected 1 size larger to acomodate my...um...you know.

I won't be wearing a petticoat under either one.
East Nowhere will get a retro fashion show whether they are ready for it or not.
I have an upcoming informal retro car show that I was talked into attending with my Mustang. I will register (free) for the judging and just may win a prize for wearing one of those dresses along with the car. All in good fun.

And yes, I will have pictures taken and post them here.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #7858
Moderator Emeritus

I gave away a surfboard.

No, it's not like that. A friend lives in a downtown condo just a short walk away from a half-dozen breaks, and their management finally cleaned out the surfboard storage racks. Some residents have been waiting for a decade to get one of these lockable racks, but no squatters-- it has to have a surfboard in it.

So I loaned him my 6'11"-- too short for me in any waves under 10 feet-- and now I can drop by there anytime I need an extra board to paddle around.

I should probably buy a beat-up 9'6" or another 10'0" off Craigslist, rehab it, and store it there. Or even better, a stand-up paddleboard...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #7859

We had a very late night. Our 24 year old son was flying from Akron, OH to Boise, ID with a change of planes in Denver. Due to weather his plane out of Akron was 90 minutes late so he missed his connecting flight to Boise. It was after midnight here when he called to tell us that he was stranded in Denver until MONDAY!! There are flights to Boise but none with seats available.

Luckily his grandmother (DH's mom) lives outside of Denver so he called her and she said he was welcome to stay with her but she couldn't pick him up as she doesn't drive at night. After he finally got his bag he went looking for transportation and that's when he encountered a lot of angry passengers who were stranded due to the United Airlines computer problems (Denver is a big United hub).

It cost him quite a lot but he got a shuttle out to grandma's house and called us about 2 am to let us know. Quite a surprise for my MIL (84 years old) to have a visitor on such short notice but I think she was pleased.

He's going to Boise, ID to work as the sound designer for one of the Idaho Shakespeare Festival shows and he'll be there for 3 weeks. I hope it goes better once he gets there.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #7860

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Then we went on a walk and I did some planking:

Al - it looks like you may have planked in a patch of poison ivy. I think I see 3 leaved plants in your pic.