Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #7961
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Breakfast at diner, back home to tend to yard work and laundry, then off to BF's birthday gathering for Grandmama - she turned 102 today! Funny thing is her "special meal request" was for KFC!!

Oh, and played with the new iPhone whenever I was a passenger today! So many good free apps, so little time. Discovered the AAA apps...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #7962
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
I too was envisioning something far more exciting than a mere hug and kiss.

And, as for Boys State, I don't remmeber military dudes having anything to do with it. I wonder if the parents sending their kids there know what kind of military exposure they are going to get. Sorry for getting political here, but I sure wouldn't want my kids (well, now grandkids) exposed to that stuff.
Good observation, because I asked Mr B the very same question about the Marines.
Boys' State is sponsored by the American Legion, a national veterans' organization. The Marines are there as volunteers, specifically to lead a huge group of teenage boys in the physical exercise and morning meal parts, not as recruiters. The entire day (after PT and breakfast) is spent with veteran (former military) counselors and instructors in smaller groups.

And my H&K's tend to be pretty exciting, judging by Mr B's reaction.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #7963
Give me a forum ...

I almost forgot.......I launched the boat today. It was supposed to be just cloudy, but it rained lightly and steadily throughout the entire process. I am happy to report that I did not melt. I owe the guy friend who helped me launch it at least 2 free dinners out. He wore a long sleeve shirt, ending up soaked from his chest to his wrists.
I wore very light clothes, hoping it would bring nice weather. Nice try but no cigar.
It took almost $96 to fill the gas tank. Ouch! My new boat mantra is Cost/benefit, cost/benefit...argh

I couldn't open it up and take a joyride, but it is safely tied up at the walkup slip. Rain is expected for the rest of the week, I think, so I will be going over and running the bilge manually.
My canvas cover is on its last legs, so I will have to come up with a solution to that. I may just stitch some waterproof fabric over the existing cover versus investing in a brand new cover. TBD...I have a roll of leftover marine cover fabric (from a previous boat) hanging around in the garage. Sometimes it is good to be a packrat.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #7964
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My canvas cover is on its last legs, so I will have to come up with a solution to that. I may just stitch some waterproof fabric over the existing cover versus investing in a brand new cover. TBD...I have a roll of leftover marine cover fabric (from a previous boat) hanging around in the garage. Sometimes it is good to be a packrat.
Duct tape.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #7965
Give me a forum ...

Laughed at a pic of Arnold Ziffel, watched a fascinating program regarding Quantum Physics then later watched Alice Cooper in concert.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #7966
Give me a forum ...

It is not raining today.

I think I will go out to the garden and do some "persuading" of my 3 year old grapevines. They survived the winter and are going crazy. I was going to prune them way back in early spring, but I want them to establish a strong vine base before I start doing that. I'll just cut back the long thin vines and leave the medium size ones to develop along the horizontal wood supports.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #7967
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Laughed at a pic of Arnold Ziffel, watched a fascinating program regarding Quantum Physics then later watched Alice Cooper in concert.

I nominate this for the "most eclectic day ever" prize.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #7968
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I nominate this for the "most eclectic day ever" prize.

.........as times goes by, I find most of my days are like that...
Old 06-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #7969
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

You know as times goes by, I find most of my days are like that...
Maybe...or is it all in your head?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #7970
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe...or is it all in your head?
Oooooo....might have to check mah fizzics book 'bout that one.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #7971
Moderator Emeritus

Got another deer last night - this time with my F150. Probably just enough damage to eat up my deductible.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #7972

Still playing around with the new camera. This thing has what appears to be 9x9x3 different combinations of autofocus modes alone, or over 200. But it is fast and in most situations is faster than a human could be.

Finished reading a book for a review titled The Problem With Money? It's Not About the Money! by Jane Honeck. It's a short book but a good read. Think along the lines of What Color is Your Parachute? but focusing on the emotional aspects of why people do what they do with money. Or more specifically, why you do what you do with money.

An interesting question is what is your earliest memory about money? For me it is being about six years old and holding a flashlight for my father while he tried to get the oil-fired furnace working. Outside temperatures were in the single digits, the house was getting cold fast, and we didn't have the money to pay someone to fix the furnace.

That made me realize why, when I bought a house, from day one I always wanted enough money in the bank to write a check for a new furnace even though at the time I had the skills to build one from components.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #7973
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Got another deer last night - this time with my F150. Probably just enough damage to eat up my deductible.
How's that compare to the cost of butchering and the venison?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #7974
Give me a forum ...

Awakened to the nasty sound of my alarm clock.

I thought I was done with that clock when I retired, but I am tired of sleeping past noon and missing half the day. I hope this is a good idea and that I am not completely cuckoo to be doing this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #7975
Give me a forum ...

Maybe time to stop watching the late night three hankie movies.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #7976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Maybe time to stop watching the late night three hankie movies.
I know! That, and the Casey Anthony trial reruns, and Redeye - - even though I get engrossed in such things late at night, there is really nothing on that would make it worthwhile to give up my mornings.

Or so I keep telling myself.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #7977

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...and Redeye - -
That's definitely part of your problem right there. No telling how long you'll be unconscious after drinking that stuff...
Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #7978
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's definitely part of your problem right there. No telling how long you'll be unconscious after drinking that stuff...
No no, the show! I think Greg Gutfeld is hilarious and he has me in stitches in the middle of the night.

I could pay extra to rent a DVR from the cable company but I didn't do that.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #7979

Quote:
No no, the show! I think Greg Gutfeld is hilarious and he has me in stitches in the middle of the night.
Suggestion: spend some of that big stash of yours on a DVR and record those shows to watch at your leisure. That way you won't suffer from a bad case of late-night stitches, which we all know will keep you up until the wee hours of the morning.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #7980
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Awakened to the nasty sound of my alarm clock.

I thought I was done with that clock when I retired, but I am tired of sleeping past noon and missing half the day. I hope this is a good idea and that I am not completely cuckoo to be doing this.
Try "wake to music" instead of the buzzer from h*ll. I use a classical station, turned up just loud enough to awaken me but not so loud I jump up. It is very nice to wake up to a symphony.

Pray that the DJ is not doing a Wagner specialty morning program.