Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whew! I wore myself out today!

Up early (6 a.m.) for some yoga stretching and last minute prep for delivery of motorhome to service facility before 8. They replaced our worn out slide toppers.

Reviewed and edited landscape/nature photos while waiting for motorhome service. They were done by noon - wow! So dropped motorhome off to a detail facility for carpet shampoo. Out for lunch and reading while waiting.

Then drove motorhome to RV park near Eugene, OR. Got a nice pull forward site looking over pond with ducks.

But not done cleaning yet! With the carpets clean but just a bit damp we had to scrub down the tile so we wouldn't track dirt from tile to carpet. That's how I wore myself out. The tile needed it - it was filthy according to the number of white towels we went through.

But still got my 2 mile walk in. Out for a quick dinner before shower and collapsing into bed.

Tomorrow - 9 am tour of the Country Coach manufacturing facility in Junction City OR and then shopping in Eugene.

Man - this retirement sure is exhausting!

Audrey

P.S. Agree with above - this Oregon summer weather sure is civilized! Even with highs approaching 90 in the Williamette valley, the humidity is quite low, so as long as you can find a spot of shade things are quite comfortable. Note to self - we are definitely spending more summers in Oregon!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm now into my third week (officially) of retirement and am finding time passing far more quickly than I thought it would. Today, I went to the gym (after leisurely reading the newspaper and downing a copious amount of coffee), then with spouse had lunch, went to see a movie, out to dinner and back home in time to catch some of the Olympics. I can get used to this.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by playaman View Post
I'm now into my third week (officially) of retirement and am finding time passing far more quickly than I thought it would. Today, I went to the gym (after leisurely reading the newspaper and downing a copious amount of coffee), then with spouse had lunch, went to see a movie, out to dinner and back home in time to catch some of the Olympics. I can get used to this.
This sounds so good, it could be XXX rated. No wonder the media is suppressing this kind of news. Thanks, I'm salivating.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

rolled out of bed around 10ish
made breakfast for me and DW
Leisurely coffee while reading the paper
watched a little olympics ... yeah Phelps
made lunch
took a fast walk (exercise program)
french lesson
went to rent a DVD
made dinner
watch more olympics
read
played some online poker
went to bed midnight-ish (did some bed time reading)

typical day.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #65
Dryer sheet wannabe

Out of bed at 4am(Always up early)
Set out on the deck listening to the coyotes
Drank my first pot of coffee
Fed the chickens
Went to the market to buy Nectarines.
Then the most fun went to the wrecking yard to get some parts for my 69 VW Camper Bus. I spent about an hour and one half just plundering around the old cars. Couldn't find any parts for my 59 Studebaker Hawk though.
Now home because it's 106 outside.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Hiked up the big obsidian flow in the center of the Newberry Volcano caldera this evening. What an amazing sight! Watched the full moon rise over Paulina peak.

We moved the motorhome today to a place just south of Bend OR. This meant we had to climb up to the Cascade crest, and it involved a long hard pull. I ended up having to climb slow in third gear to keep the engine cool enough. Toughest pull so far.

Audrey
Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Woke up, got out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up, I noticed I was late

Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs, and had a smoke
And somebody spoke and I went into a dream...

The Beatles

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 08-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #68

Woke up at 7:30, read the paper, showered, went to grocery store and bought food for the week, made a gigunda salad that fills a giant Tupperware bowl (will eat off that for a week) grilled some marinated chicken to go on the salad, prepared lunch to take to work.

This "job" is hardly work. Work 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm, there is about two hours of actually doing something, then mostly sitting around and telling war stories and lies.

Sympathized with DW over her brother's newly arisen custody dispute over his learning-disabled 14-year-old daughter. His ex-wife is mentally unstable, her other daughter is about to turn 18 in a couple of weeks which means the state assistance for her is about to be cut off and ex-wife is now looking to supplement her welfare check by gaining custody of the 14-year-old and thereby gain child support money, which will not be spent on the child. Ex is now accusing his current spouse of abusing the child so he has custody and there's a court order that says spouse cannot be in the same room as 14-year-old. The stuff in soap operas doesn't hold a candle to what her brother's been through with the ex. Interesting saga.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Lava day! (Newberry Volcano National Monument)

- Hiked the Lava Cast Forest nature trail.
- Then hunger struck and we decided that the 12 mile drive to Bend was OK if we could go eat lunch at our favorite seafood restaurant. Great lunch - definitely worth it.
- Back to the Lavalands Visitor Center. Drove up Lava Butte and hiked the cinder cone rim. Incredible views of the Cascades.
- Then over to the Lava Cave - a 1 mile long lava tube 80 or so feet underground. Hiked all the way in and back in the dark with flashlights. One of the more unique hikes of our experience.
- Back home (motorhome) for a totally relaxing evening with some nice munchies and red wine.

This life is rough! But someone has to do it.

Audrey
Old 08-16-2008, 10:07 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

I woke up at 11am....thank god for weekends!
Went for an interview at the spa for an office manager position.
Came home, talked on the phone, ate some lunch.
Went to my brother's pre-wedding party with my boyfriend.
Came home at 10:45pm....drank coffee.
Playing on the internet.....thinking about cleaning the kitchen.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #71

I'm enjoying this thread! I don't feel so guilty "wasting" time the way I do. It looks like I have plenty of company

Today

Got up at 8 am
Hiking with dog from 8:30- 9:30
Shower, dress
Brunch with son and his wife 10-11:30
Research on Internet about converting IRA to ROTH, paperwork,etc 12-2
Coffee and snack at the local cafe 2-3
More Internet research for daughter about traveling in New Zealand and
Check in on the ER forums 3-4:30. That takes me up to now.

And this evening, planning on making a salad for dinner and locking gazes with the Tube for more Olympics coverage.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Moved my only daughter into her dorm room <sniff>
Old 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

After spending a few hours at Short Sands Beach in York Maine drove 2hrs back home. Spent the past 3 days up in York with a friend at her 2nd home. Weather was beautiful all 3 days! Perfect beach weather!
Old 08-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Spent the last 4 days in Destin, FL. Played golf, ate, drank, partied and just mellowed out with a bunch of old work buddies. Slept in this morning, had lunch and just got home after a 5 hour drive. Boy the weather was great for August. Low humidity and temps in the low 80's. Unheard of this time of the year. Life is good.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I'm enjoying this thread! I don't feel so guilty "wasting" time the way I do. It looks like I have plenty of company

Today

Got up at 8 am
Hiking with dog from 8:30- 9:30
Shower, dress
Brunch with son and his wife 10-11:30
Research on Internet about converting IRA to ROTH, paperwork,etc 12-2
Coffee and snack at the local cafe 2-3
More Internet research for daughter about traveling in New Zealand and
Check in on the ER forums 3-4:30. That takes me up to now.

And this evening, planning on making a salad for dinner and locking gazes with the Tube for more Olympics coverage.
? trying to figure out which part of your day was wasted.
gotta get up sometime
dog's got to poop
you gotta smell presentable
spending time with son and wife is never wasted ... and ya gotta eat
researching investment alternatives and record keeping ... enuf said
sustanence to keep you going
helping daughter
keeping up with friends
eating ...
entertainment
Old 08-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I've had a ruff day today. I woke up at 11:30am after sleeping for 11 hours. Then I watched tv and surfed the internet for the last 8 hours while snacking on left over birthday cake from yesterday. My big accomplishment was taking 2 minutes to put on a pair of shorts(I had been just in my boxers all day) socks and shoes so I could go and get the mail. I will stay awake watching tv for another 6 hours trying not to think about going back to work on friday. If i'm ambitious enough I may use the microwave to make some "real food" so I have something other than birthday cake in me. Tomorrow will likely be a repeat of today except i don't plan to wake up in the a.m. and i'll probably let the mail sit until thursday.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've had a ruff day today. I woke up at 11:30am after sleeping for 11 hours. Then I watched tv and surfed the internet for the last 8 hours while snacking on left over birthday cake from yesterday. My big accomplishment was taking 2 minutes to put on a pair of shorts(I had been just in my boxers all day) socks and shoes so I could go and get the mail. I will stay awake watching tv for another 6 hours trying not to think about going back to work on friday. If i'm ambitious enough I may use the microwave to make some "real food" so I have something other than birthday cake in me. Tomorrow will likely be a repeat of today except i don't plan to wake up in the a.m. and i'll probably let the mail sit until thursday.
Happy belated birthday!! Sounds like you are enjoying your time off.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Happy belated birthday!! Sounds like you are enjoying your time off.
Thank You!
I Love this Thread
Old 08-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #79
Dryer sheet wannabe

I Love this Thread

This is the greatest, you guys are my retired heros...keep it coming
Old 08-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
? trying to figure out which part of your day was wasted.

I did use quotes: "wasting" time. I agree it wasn't wasted. I value every minute of every day.
Closed Thread