Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #8041
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had a nice fourth, watched fireworks on TV after taking a short local trip to a car show. Very heavy rain in the late afternoon, sure it ruined a lot of cook outs that would have been going on.

Baby deers are still here, third day. No sign of the mother so may be abandoned or orphans. We've seen a lot of evidence to see they've been laying in the grass near the house and we see them most every time we go outside now- they head in to the woods but obviously aren't going far.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #8042
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been enjoying watching the tour de france. I record from the Internet in the morning for free, then watch later. If you say it's boring, I can't disagree, but it's great scenery and interesting to a cyclist.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #8043
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've been enjoying watching the tour de france. I record from the Internet in the morning for free, then watch later. If you say it's boring, I can't disagree.
I saw the tour finale in Paris a few years ago - and THAT was a snoozefest as well. But, to each their own. Only things worse (at least to me) are soccer and baseball. Oh yeah, and golf.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #8044

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88
Baby deers are still here, third day. No sign of the mother so may be abandoned or orphans. We've seen a lot of evidence to see they've been laying in the grass near the house and we see them most every time we go outside now- they head in to the woods but obviously aren't going far.
The mothers will leave the fawns near a house for protection, go about their day, and come back for them later. Baby deer do not have a scent that predators can hone in on, so they are generally safe around your house. I've had them curled up next to my deck for a couple of days at a time, but I don't think I've had them 3 straight days like you have.

You'll have to be selective with your landscaping with deer around the house. At our place, they eat almost any type of flower as well as several types of bushes.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #8045
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Worked....again.

But...the countdown continues!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #8046

I planted a "greengold" avocado tree in our front yard. (Already have an avocado tree that doesn't bear much fruit, and kaffir lime, breadfruit, coconut.)
Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #8047

The deer are still here, they seem to be settling in after nearly a week. We thought they were gone yesterday and as we walked the dogs (we're on 61 acres so have a long! driveway) we were watching for them in their usual spot. DW turned around and one was laying in the grass at the edge of the drive about 10 feet away watching us. We may be as much entertainment for them as they are for us when we're out with the three dogs. One of the dogs saw them and got pretty yippy and agitated so the deer ran off, we thought that might be the end of them but they were back by the workshop last night grazing.

Ronstar, we know the drill on the plants, between the deer and rabbits at our old place, hard to keep much vegetation and seeing plenty of both here. We've had mixed success on plants that deer supposedly don't like, think it depends a lot on the general environment. During last years drought, they ate everything.

This year at the new house, not an issue as we just have weeds on top of hard shale fill- hope to start some landscaping in the fall or spring and will try to go with native plants that don't need a lot of care and if the deer get some of it, oh well. Interesting about the scent for the babies, I think the main predator in this area is hunters in the fall for deer season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The mothers will leave the fawns near a house for protection, go about their day, and come back for them later. Baby deer do not have a scent that predators can hone in on, so they are generally safe around your house. I've had them curled up next to my deck for a couple of days at a time, but I don't think I've had them 3 straight days like you have.

You'll have to be selective with your landscaping with deer around the house. At our place, they eat almost any type of flower as well as several types of bushes.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #8048
Give me a forum ...

Those fawns look very tender. JK.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #8049
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from a short trip to MA and NH to visit Mr B's family. We went to a family BBQ, and hopped over to Gloucester for a visit to the Fisherman's Memorial and a whole lobster at a waterfront restaurant. I finally got to see the ocean! It was blazing hot so we didn't walk around too much in town, for his 82 yo Mom's benefit.
Nice to travel but good to be home.

Laundry is done, suitcases are unpacked, and I just finished watering my container garden. Every tomato plant is loaded with blossoms and 3 green tomatoes have formed.
The Bushmaster cucumbers are taking over the free world, climbing up the cotton twine I hung from the faux bamboo support. I counted 5 two inch cukes, with dozens of blossoms forming yet more cukes.
I harvested some spinach (just in time before it bolted) from a window box container. I made a baby shrimp and roasted red pepper over spinach salad for lunch. Yummy! I planted another round of seeds in case the trimmed back spinach plants don't regrow leaves for me.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #8050

Skated.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #8051
Administrator

Went out to lunch with F., and this time I got to drive! His Murano is in the shop getting a (possibly innocuous) noise checked out, and getting a new tire. So my Venza got a little exercise for once.

After having our favorite lunch together, we went for a pleasure drive. I heard in the news that three coyotes had killed a cat not far from our homes, in a well built up and well populated neighborhood. We wanted to see if there was any unimproved/forested land near there, so I drove over there. After checking it out we determined that the answer is no, it is a well manicured upper upper middle class residential neighborhood about 30 years old, with zero wilderness. This is an area where one would not expect to see even one coyote, much less a pack of three.

The brief glimpses we get of such sites on TV just makes me want to go there and look. I warned F. to watch for coyotes when he rides his bicycle in his neighborhood after dusk. As for me, well, I prefer staying home after dusk whenever I can. I will look all around before taking out my trash tonight, though.

Later this afternoon we'll drive over to the shop so he can pick up his vehicle, and then I'll go home and enjoy my oceans of leisure time there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #8052

Where i'm at in So. Cal. the coyotes aren't active until well after dusk (more like around midnight). I usually hear them yipping instead of seeing them.

I live right next to big hill that's undeveloped so they come right up to my backyard fence when they are hunting rabbits. luckily there are tons of rabbits in this area so they are not really interested in cats.

Nevertheless, If I had a cat, I'd bring it in at night if I thought coyotes were in the area. They will travel a mile or even more into "non wilderness" areas if there is food to be had there. Are there rabbits on the lawns at night? Is someone feeding them or raccoons with dog food ? Is there a largish park or school grounds nearby w/ critters like rabbits ? Those would be things that attract them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Went out to lunch with F., and this time I got to drive! His Murano is in the shop getting a (possibly innocuous) noise checked out, and getting a new tire. So my Venza got a little exercise for once.

After having our favorite lunch together, we went for a pleasure drive. I heard in the news that three coyotes had killed a cat not far from our homes, in a well built up and well populated neighborhood. We wanted to see if there was any unimproved/forested land near there, so I drove over there. After checking it out we determined that the answer is no, it is a well manicured upper upper middle class residential neighborhood about 30 years old, with zero wilderness. This is an area where one would not expect to see even one coyote, much less a pack of three.

The brief glimpses we get of such sites on TV just makes me want to go there and look. I warned F. to watch for coyotes when he rides his bicycle in his neighborhood after dusk. As for me, well, I prefer staying home after dusk whenever I can. I will look all around before taking out my trash tonight, though.

Later this afternoon we'll drive over to the shop so he can pick up his vehicle, and then I'll go home and enjoy my oceans of leisure time there.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #8053
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Skated.
Ice?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #8054
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Where i'm at in So. Cal. the coyotes aren't active until well after dusk (more like around midnight). I usually hear them yipping instead of seeing them.

I live right next to big hill that's undeveloped so they come right up to my backyard fence when they are hunting rabbits. luckily there are tons of rabbits in this area so they are not really interested in cats.

Nevertheless, If I had a cat, I'd bring it in at night if I thought coyotes were in the area. They will travel a mile or even more into "non wilderness" areas if there is food to be had there. Are there rabbits on the lawns at night? Is someone feeding them or raccoons with dog food ? Is there a largish park or school grounds nearby w/ critters like rabbits ? Those would be things that attract them.
I used to live in a similar location in Spring Valley, California so I know what you mean! I saw coyotes there a lot, but was not so concerned because I knew they were not starving. I worry that those in my neighborhood would not even be here unless they were. A pack of starving coyotes scares me a little.

We are at least five miles from wilderness, and we are surrounded by swamps (with the Mississippi River to the south, Lake Ponchartrain to the north, and I-10 on stilts over the swamps to the west and east in and out of here). So it seems a little freaky to hear about so many coyotes here. The canals every few blocks have always had plenty of nutria and rats in them but otherwise, no parks nearby. The news media blames it on the high Mississippi, but I am skeptical.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #8055

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Ice?
Yup. Learning and practicing figures.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #8056

Returned from a trip to visit friends, on the way I stopped to see my last surviving uncle. He's 94 and has slowed down a lot but mentally still sharp as a tack.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #8057
Give me a forum ...

Was given an estimate by a rep from Pella windows this afternoon. All of a sudden the windows we have now don't look too bad.

Now, what are we going to do with all that money we saved by not buying new windows?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #8058
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Was given an estimate by a rep from Pella windows this afternoon. All of a sudden the windows we have now don't look too bad.

Now, what are we going to do with all that money we saved by not buying new windows?
What fun! I'm sure you'll think of something....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #8059
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What fun! I'm sure you'll think of something....
I’m thinkin’ of a jacuzzi suite, plush bath robe, a massage that will send me to la la land only to be awakened by the sound of chilled Dom Perignon being poured into a crystal champagne glass.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #8060
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I’m thinkin’ of a jacuzzi suite, plush bath robe, a massage that will send me to la la land only to be awakened by the sound of chilled Dom Perignon being poured into a crystal champagne glass.
Sounds like a lot more fun than windows.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread