Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #8061
Moderator Emeritus

Busy day for us.

In the cool early morning we harvested a tray of vermipost. Now that it's just the two of us empty nesters, it takes us about 4-6 months to fill a tray. The worms really work through the other two trays during that time and the oldest one is completely vermiposted. The hibiscus, gardenias, geraniums, and tomatoes are happy with the results.

I dropped off the last of our dearly departed bunny's equipment at the SPCA. Most of Peter's gear went to the vet (for their rescue bunnies) but this was a ramp-- six feet long and three feet tall-- for him to get up to his cage. The SPCA is going to use it in their cat habitat.

The SPCA is only a couple miles from White Plains Beach so I followed up with surfing. Gnarly 6-8 footers today with great drops and long rides. Saturday morning is supposed to be even better!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #8062
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have declared today to be a "veg out" day for me. I am tired from the trip and a night out last night. I need to just sit around and do nothing.

Mr B gave me a pouty face but agreed we both need some brainless R&R. That will last until sometime late this afternoon when he bugs me to get out of the house. He is a high energy and very social guy, which is good because sometimes I tend to just want to stay at home. My new nickname for him is "The Social Director".

He just grossed me out - he ate 2 cans of sardines for lunch, complete with lip smacking and describing just how wonderfully tasty they were.
I hate sardines...the smell, the appearance, the whole idea of them.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #8063
Give me a forum ...

They're just tiny little tuna. In a can and covered with oil. Yum.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #8064
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I have declared today to be a "veg out" day for me. I am tired from the trip and a night out last night. I need to just sit around and do nothing.

Mr B gave me a pouty face but agreed we both need some brainless R&R. That will last until sometime late this afternoon when he bugs me to get out of the house. He is a high energy and very social guy, which is good because sometimes I tend to just want to stay at home. My new nickname for him is "The Social Director".
You have the patience of a saint! I would send him packing in about 5 minutes.

I must admit that I love sardines and anchovies, though, so maybe not....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #8065
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

He just grossed me out - he ate 2 cans of sardines for lunch, complete with lip smacking and describing just how wonderfully tasty they were.
At least he didn't break out the pickled pigs feet..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #8066
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You have the patience of a saint! I would send him packing in about 5 minutes.

I must admit that I love sardines and anchovies, though, so maybe not....
There is an encore Yankees game on (played last night), so he is chilling out in the recliner, "resting his eyes".
You can have my share of those stinky little buggers in a can.

I'm almost ready for a nap after catching up on emails, doing some bank transfers for trip related credit card transactions, and checking out the VG site so I could update my M* portfolio tracker for distributions at the end of June.
I still have $10K parked in a NY TE money market fund for immediate emergency needs. I was tempted to move it somewhere where it could earn a little better TE interest, but I quickly logged off before I acted on that impulse. I will wait until I achieve a goal to have $10K in my credit union accounts before I make a move on doing something with that money market stash. I should be able to accomplish that goal in 3Q11 with no problem.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #8067
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last Friday, helped a friend to move from one apartment to another - he couldn't afford the latest rent increase

Two of the guys who were to show up didn't, so we did the work with only three male adults - one obviously overweight who couldn't "pull his weight", as it were and three young boys ( 7, 9 and 12 ).

The next morning, I woke up to agonizing pain in my lower back. Its now been a week, and I'm unable to sit upright for more than 1 hour at most before collapsing on a couch or bed. I'm using Salonplas patches, but don't seem to help much.

So today, more of the recuperating routine for the past several days - morning massage using electric massager; then lay in bed until lunch, then more massage, then lay in bed, then check out stuff on the computer ( where I'm writing this post ) before more bed, dinner, and massage.

Hope things improve soon, this is getting real boring....
Old 07-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #8068
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear of your pain Coolius. I've helped a lot of people move in the past...now my only duty is to bring beer and donuts. My bod just can't take it anymore.

Today I was jonesing for some spinach dip..so I made some. Yummy.
I've been in a spinach eating kick lately...hmmm, I wonder if I'm pregnant.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #8069

bbbamI,

Your post made me realize something important - at that move last Friday, there was NO BEER and DONUTS!

The pain must be withdrawal symptoms. It's all coming back now.

OK, feeling more stiffness/pain, time to go back to the bed for another massage.....

See y'all later.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #8070
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Freebird, I never ate sardines until quite recently...was repulsed by those headless little bodies packed side by side in a tin. I am trying to bring my LDL cholesterol down and the mantra from my cardiologist is "fish and more fish". I buy fresh fish at least once a week but where I live in PA what passes for "fresh" can often disappoint. I resolved to try to choke down sardines once in awhile but could not bring myself to relish them until I hit on a Portuguese product: Casa Lusa...three giant, plump sardines per 4.2 oz. tin and really tasty. I put them on mixed salad greens and skip the dressing as they are packed in olive oil

I spent today packing for a road trip to the Jersey shore tomorrow. My sister-in-law has a place in Avalon and I plan to stay with her until Saturday...or until we tire of each other, which could make for an earlier departure. She and her husband and certain of their friends like to party, and I am not into that in my old age.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #8071
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Laundry on line; gave blood #175; harvested beets, cucumbers, zucchini.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #8072
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Laundry on line; gave blood #175; harvested beets, cucumbers, zucchini.
BP was 126/72
Old 07-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #8073

Sanded then varnished kayak.
Reward: a 1/2 container of Rum Raisin ice cream.
Hot tub is at 109F, should be ready in about an hour.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #8074

Went to a bunch of thrift stores and second hand shops for stuff to stage a house for selling. It is looking good. So much so that DW and I discussed not selling it.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #8075
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Freebird, I never ate sardines until quite recently...was repulsed by those headless little bodies packed side by side in a tin. I am trying to bring my LDL cholesterol down and the mantra from my cardiologist is "fish and more fish". I buy fresh fish at least once a week but where I live in PA what passes for "fresh" can often disappoint. I resolved to try to choke down sardines once in awhile but could not bring myself to relish them until I hit on a Portuguese product: Casa Lusa...three giant, plump sardines per 4.2 oz. tin and really tasty. I put them on mixed salad greens and skip the dressing as they are packed in olive oil
You and Mr B would get along great! He is half Portguese and buys tins of exactly those type sardines when we go back to visit his family in MA.

Yesterday was a very busy day. We attended a reception for the incoming County Legion commander, complete with food and free beer. Then we went to the VFW where a wedding and reception was being held. We know the couple but were not specifically invited by them. It was kind of odd because everyone else was encouraging us to go to the reception upstairs. We graciously passed rather than feel like party crashers.

Today is chill out day. I am getting almost non-stop hot flashes and any outside temps above 80F make me feel exhausted. Much nicer inside in 72F thanks to our fathful little window AC unit.

UPDATE: I got myself motivated and went out to check on my blackberries and grapes. I did some light pruning and persuading of the errant vines.
I saw a LOT of green grapes on all 3 vines.
Here are the fruits of my very first blackberry picking, drying out in an 11" diameter colander. There are a lot more almost ripe berries still out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackberries2011.jpg (37.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #8076
Moderator Emeritus

Great dawn patrol yesterday-- 6-8 footers with no wind and enough cloud cover to keep from breaking a sweat. Some of the year's best surfing so far, although there'll be more to come this Thu-Sat.

One of our more entrepreneurial neighbors coordinated a neighborhood garage sale of about 10 homes spread out across six blocks. We cleaned out our Goodwill-donation closet a little but the real fun was talking story with the neighbors and shopping each other's junk. I found a HP Scanjet 3570c that claims to do 35mm slides as well as paper & photos. $30-- the owner never even too it out of the box. The real convenience was being able to get a piece of hardware without having to drive all over the island pricing the sales and trying to find a "good" scanner. This one is probably "good enough". I think that it's one of the older scanners in the neighborhood... after mine.

Our daughter's coming home in three weeks. She must have decided summer school just wasn't busy enough-- she's taken a job as a campus tour guide. I wish I'd had that opportunity to practice my public-speaking skills at that age.

Today's been a morning workout & grocery shopping. Now it's going to be a whole lot of paperwork sorting & filing.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #8077

Went out for my regular run around the homestead. In one spot not far from my house I spied some barefoot tracks in a sandy wash headed toward home. Except they were bear foot tracks. The tracks were fresh, it had rained last night and had left dimples in the sand. So now I have to watch for rattlesnakes, Mexican hikers, and bears. Luckily Ms G. had 2 dogs and had gone to the flats for her run.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #8078
Recycles dryer sheets

Going camping during the week 'cause we're FIREd
Old 07-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #8079
Give me a forum ...

Another hot day...86F and zero breeze. I think I'll mow the lawn later this evening to avoid burning the grass and getting a sunburn myself.
I boiled some potatoes for salad, and put some chicken legs in the ol' crockpot with BBQ sauce. I'll put a crisp on them later on the grill or in the convection oven.
I suppose I should hop in the shower and get myself motivated to go out when Mr B gets back. He had some prickly business to go take care in his capacity as Commander (Legion).
Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown...
Old 07-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #8080

Ran 4 miles in extreme humidity. Went to work for the 3rd time in the last 3 weeks, but a nasty storm knocked out electricity. So I worked from home a couple of hours. Now I'm going to take a nap, bring my truck in to get deer damage fixed, take a swim, eat dinner, and watch tv.