Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #8121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Started the morning with some awful cramps in my right hip, so had to spend time on the electronic massage bed that we borrowed from friends to help my sprained back recover ( I sprained it a month ago when helping friends move out of their apartment ).

Felt way better after that, so went to the HOA clubhouse for a dip in the spa and 4 laps of the lap pool. Met some friends there, also FIRE-d guys, and we went out for lunch.

Came home, and discovered that the US team at the 5th CISM Military World Games was doing pretty dismally. The Brazilians and Chinese are wiping up the floor with the other countries. My son lost his first beach volleyball game against the Chinese team. he emailed us to say they were a head taller than him, and he is 6' 2".

had a great nap in the afternoon, a quiet dinner with DW, now relaxing before hitting the sack for an early night.

Tomorrow we will be up at 6 am California time to follow our son's second game.

Just heard from a former co-worker that the company is laying off 9% of its headcount. Very tough to hear that some close friends are in that number, and they have a ways to go before FI.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #8122

Spent yesterday morning shopping for a vanity and sink for a bath in the basement we're adding. Found one and have it secured in place and will install the faucet and drain today.

About 8:45pm last night, DW looked out the front door and saw a Red Fox moving along the driveway and then in to the woods. Looked to be in good shape and healthy. We stepped outside to see if we could get another look and one of the baby deers that have been here for a couple of weeks came out from under the deck, no wonder we don't see them as much lately, didn't think to look there.

Wonder if the deer and the fox were even aware of each other?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #8123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday, we passed the ultimate test of a live-in relationship - we assembled a pressed board storage cabinet without arguing. If anyone has ever tried following those stupid instructions, you'll understand what I mean.
Today, I got my lazy keister up at 830 AM.
So far, I cleaned up the kitchen sink, defrosted some chicken thighs for the crockpot, and had coffee. Mr B is doing some computer w*rk for the Legion right now. He will be picking up a laptop (blue screen of death) later for diagnosis of the hard drive and OS. These little side j*bs add up for the gas tank fund.
Today is going to be very hot and humid, so I think I will avail myself of the free AC at the Legion while he picks up that laptop. I set our AC units to energy saver while we are out, in true LBYM fashion.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #8124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yesterday, we passed the ultimate test of a live-in relationship - we assembled a pressed board storage cabinet without arguing.
I thought the ultimate test is teaching the SO to drive a stick shift.

-------------------

I made flaxseed meal bread (wow, it's good!), then we cleaned the house, and went on a bike ride followed by putting my toes in the ocean. We went down to the water, and Lena said "Oh, let me get a photo of this." She went back to the car, not knowing that I'd hidden the camera. I tried to get her attention to mime that it was under the seat, and then thought of a better solution: I called her on the cell phone and told her where it was.

When we got home I had a mini cream cheese and olive sandwich. It's one of my favorites -- I wish I'd come across the flaxseed recipe sooner.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #8125

Great pics T-Al!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 07-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #8126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We landed at the Pittsburgh airport at 1:10am, after being gone for a little over a month. We were picking up milk and bread in Morgantown around 3:00am. Went to bed a little after 4:00am and set the alarm clock for 8:00. I work tomorrow and knew I would not be able to sleep tonight, if I slept in. Going through and paying some bills, getting gas, buying cat food, unpacking and washing some clothes has kept me busy. I am starting to seriously question why I am working a part-time job.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #8127
Moderator Emeritus

Spent 90 minutes at Home Depot on a scavenger hunt for a couple of projects-- replacing a sprinkler control valve (inside a tiny little enclosure, of course) and building a cable/turnbuckle cross-brace for a PVC gate. We found everything we were looking for, but of course that now means that I need to actually do the projects. Sigh.

We also checked out a new Kohler toilet for our public bathroom. Apparently the modern 25th-anniversary gift is porcelain.

Best of all I came home to three voicemails from my brother, our geriatric-care lawyer, and John Hancock. My brother (and his GF) finished taking care of Dad's apartment contents last weekend, and now all that's left is the doctor's note to break they lease. He's sending me a copy of Dad's long-term care insurance policy along with two other boxes of memorabilia. Thank goodness I didn't have to fly 4000 miles each way to help with that project.

The lawyer & JH transmitted information and I was able to respond with more voicemail. That saved a tremendous amount of time, although they'll probably call me tomorrow with a progress report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I thought the ultimate test is teaching the SO to drive a stick shift.
Anyone who agrees to take on that job automatically fails the test. It's probably the #2 marriage beartrap, only slightly behind "Does this make me look fat?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I am starting to seriously question why I am working a part-time job.
Awareness is the first step!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #8128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Anyone who agrees to take on that job automatically fails the test. It's probably the #2 marriage beartrap, only slightly behind "Does this make me look fat?"
"Oh yeah, baby. You look phat!" That's what I meant, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #8129
Give me a forum ...

Early morning kayaking. Just got back from Ice skating.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #8130
Give me a forum ...

This morning I awakened early to the sound of my lawn guy mowing outside. I am so thankful that I can afford to have this luxury, since I hate to mow and I'm not getting any younger.

I enjoyed nice leisurely cup of coffee, and soon afterwards F. called and we headed out to see what the day would bring. He has the same lawn guy who awakened him, too, so we got an early start.

We went to the gym. I lifted over 15 tons (well, if you multiply the weight by the number of reps per set and the number of sets and add it all up). Anyway, I felt very triumphant to have gradually worked up to lifting that much weight and I am hoping that in another month it will be 16 tons, as in the song. Poor F. is recovering from throwing out his back, and a foot pain problem. He still managed to work out, but wisely skipped the back extension machine.

After the gym we went to lunch and split a chicken Caesar wrap. It was good but a little very messy with the Caesar dressing leaking all over my hands, but I enjoyed it in sort of an animalistic, uncivilized way (and there were plenty of napkins).

Next we went for a drive, and passed the New Orleans Museum of Art, when we suddenly realized that the art museum is free on Wednesdays!!

So, we went to the art museum and strolled around for an hour enjoying the beautiful paintings, sculptures, and other art. That was fun, though right now I am pretty tired after the gym and art museum both.

Is retirement fun? YES. Is it boring for me? NO, never. I can't believe I worked all those years and missed out on so much that the world has to offer. We retirees are very, very, very, very, VERY lucky people

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #8131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Did you ever see Jeff Foxworthy's bit on this? He says his wife comes into the room and asks "Do I look fat?". To which he responds "Do I look stupid?".
Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #8132

I signed up for two four-week photography classes at a community college. Classes are one day a week. DW is going to the portrait photography class with me - she always complains that her photos are terrible and she looks fat in them.

I try to get her to make the distinction that simply because a photo was badly posed, lighted and composed does not mean that she looks bad. Perhaps this will help.

The classes are taught by a guy who retired after 30 years as a photographer for National Geographic so he probably knows a bit about photography.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #8133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We went to the gym. I lifted over 15 tons (well, if you multiply the weight by the number of reps per set and the number of sets and add it all up). Anyway, I felt very triumphant to have gradually worked up to lifting that much weight and I am hoping that in another month it will be 16 tons, as in the song.
That is a huge weight. You must be one fit lady!

I now have several gyms because of a merger.

I sometimes go to a more suburban one with my woman friend, but my favorite by far is a downtown place that was once a bank. It's got excellent equipment, a nice clientele, and marble staircases, brass inlays and pieces of old vaults still in some rooms. I go 4 times/week now, and occasionally a couple more to row on the C2.

I wish they had a bar or coffee shop inside this great space, because working out makes me feel relaxed and expansive and I like to hang around.

Ha
Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #8134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That is a huge weight.
Thank you! I appreciate the compliment even more than otherwise, because I know you and some others here know a lot about weight lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
You must be one fit lady!
You missed it by one letter. I'm fat, more than fit. I enjoy lifting and I like the way it makes me feel and the improvement in my standard bloodwork values due to getting some exercise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
I now have several gyms because of a merger.

I sometimes go to a more suburban one with my woman friend, but my favorite by far is a downtown place that was once a bank. It's got excellent equipment, a nice clientele, and marble staircases, brass inlays and pieces of old vaults still in some rooms. I go 4 times/week now, and occasionally a couple more to row on the C2.

I wish they had a bar or coffee shop inside this great space, because working out makes me feel relaxed and expansive and I like to hang around.

Ha
Sounds like a very nice gym! The nice equipment, great clientele, and lovely surroundings can make such a difference. I like my gym too, and should probably post a photo of it sometime. No marble or brass, but still very pleasant. Mine does not have a bar or coffee shop (just two drink machines and a pot of hot coffee that is free, plus a waiting area of about 20 seats where one can wait for one's gym buddy. However, I like it this way because I am not wanting lots of snacks, due to the "fat not fit" problem.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #8135
Give me a forum ...

Today is cream day. I shaved my legs with shaving cream, consumed some whipped cream right out of the can and made some dip with spinach and sour cream.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #8136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Today is cream day. I shaved my legs with shaving cream, consumed some whipped cream right out of the can and made some dip with spinach and sour cream.
No...No...NOOOOOOOOOOOO
please don't leave me openings like that.

heh...I was playing with white thick stuff today too.

I made homemade tzatziki using my fresh homegrown cucumbers.
I found some authentic strained Greek yogurt in a 2 lb size at the store downtown. Usually I buy the regular plain yogurt and have to strain it myself in cheesecloth, a several hour venture.
To 1 lb of yogurt, I added 4 finely minced garlic cloves (garlic lover's portion ), 3 T olive oil, 2 T vinegar, and about 3/4 cup of grated well drained cucumber pulp (no seeds), and a dash of salt and pepper. Some recipes call for dill and/or lemon juice, but I skip those two ingredients because they tend to overpower the cucumber and garlic taste.
It needs to sit in the fridge, covered, for 1 day to develop the flavors.
If you have never had tzatziki, it is a healthy and delicious alternative to high fat salad dressings or Ranch dip, and always great on a traditional gyro if you can find the gyro meat and flatbread. If no gyro meat is to be found nearby, use cooked lamb chunks or chicken.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #8137
Gone but not forgotten

I started the day with Zumba . The best exercise routine for people who get bored . It is Latin dancing . The music is high energy and the hour just races by . I have to say it is really an enjoyable way to get fit .
Old 07-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #8138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I started the day with Zomba . The best exercise routine for people who get bored . It is Latin dancing . The music is high energy and the hour just races by . I have to say it is really an enjoyable way to get fit .
Like Zumba, but with Zombies?

These guys are digging the Latin beat.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #8139
Give me a forum ...

I just did a really stupid thing. I was organizing the top portion of my 2 door pantry, and left the upper cupboard door open. The bottom of the door is just above eye level. I went to do something else on the other side of the kitchen, turned around, and walked right into the door on my way back out the entrance to the kitchen. OUCH!
The good news is no blood, just a few birdies and stars flying around my head for a moment, and the inevitable bruise will be hidden under my bangs. I have ice on it now, but I know there will be black and blue tomorrow.

Remember to close those cupboard doors, folks.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #8140
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I just did a really stupid thing. I was organizing the top portion of my 2 door pantry, and left the upper cupboard door open. The bottom of the door is just above eye level. I went to do something else on the other side of the kitchen, turned around, and walked right into the door on my way back out the entrance to the kitchen. OUCH!
The good news is no blood, just a few birdies and stars flying around my head for a moment, and the inevitable bruise will be hidden under my bangs. I have ice on it now, but I know there will be black and blue tomorrow.
Remember to close those cupboard doors, folks.
That hurt just reading about it Hope you feel better very soon freebird.

Closed Thread