Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #8221
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just got back with a couple friends from an incredible 4 day music festival (FloydFest X ~ the eXperience :: Presented by Across-the-Way Productions, Inc.). Listened to and watched more great music than I can mention, hung out with Sarah and her DH and friends, fell a little off my eating diet, fell way off the wagon, got a little burned in the sun, a little wet in the rain, and overall had an amazing time. Can't wait until next year.
Harley, this looks like a great festival. Did you get to hear the "Robert Randolph family band"? That guy plays a mean steel guitar.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #8222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, I did and he did. His bass player was incredible too. That was one of my favorite shows this year. Along with Taj, Tuna, New Monsoon, Railroad Earth, Dave Grisman, Trampled by Turtles, Yonder Mountain, Sam Bush... and on and on. Interestingly, one of my main reasons for going, Grace Potter, didn't do much for me sound-wise. She still looks incredibly hot, but the song selection just didn't do it for me. Pretty much my only disappointment the whole weekend. Other than having to miss some shows because you can't be in two places at one time.
First Real Day After ER
Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #8223
Dryer sheet aficionado

First Real Day After ER

Some of you may have been following my exploits on Hi I Am... or the Class of 2011. For those that are not familiar (and who might actually care - i.e. both of you . . .), allow me a quick recap. I pulled the trigger on Friday 07/29 at age 50 and proceeded to crash my Harley on the way to my retirement lunch. I know, I know what a doofus!

Be that as it may, that day consisted of surgery and ankle reconstruction. Left hospital on Saturday. So today DW and I got to do several scintillating activities like getting the bike out of hock and to the repair shop, going to the ortho surgeon to get the temp DMV placard form signed, and culminating in an actual outing to the DMV to mingle with real America. I must admit the "Director" lady at the DMV counter was totally on her game and would send people packing if they did not have the right forms or originals of IDs etc. Luckily, she took mercy on me hobbling on my crutches and quickly gave me a number as we were of the lowly walk-in variety and did not have an appointment. The posted wait was 1.5 hours , but within about 10 minutes we were summoned to the counter and completed our paperwork. Now all we had to do was get in line 13 to pick up the actual placard. (Why these can not be issued in a single transaction is beyond me!) The Director woman even came over to check on why I was still waiting. What a delightful energetic lady!

Placard in hand and home to an afternoon of reading the Nook on the patio and contemplating important questions like "what wine shall we have with dinner?" Tomorrow it's back to Mega Corp to start some part time consulting.

DW, time for my sponge bath!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #8224
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Nice bike ride today.
Attachment 12301
Attachment 12302

We met this guy who was hit by a car in 1976 while riding a bike, spent 1.5 years in the hospital, and is severely brain-damaged -- I could barely understand him. But he has an amazing "That's life!" attitude. Wear your helmets!

Attachment 12303

I see that he is still not wearing a helmet, despite his experience.....
Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #8225
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn patrol with our daughter.

The weather front moved through a couple days ago leaving absolutely no wind and glassy seas. Southern hemisphere storms contributed 4-6 foot waves. It was wonderful.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #8226
Give me a forum ...

Today was a civic holiday and a near perfect day. The weather was idyllic: 27 degrees C and not a cloud in the sky. Spent the morning at the hospital. Then home to change, and off to the golf academy to practice with my new clubs. Hit a few 150 yard drives. Now if I can get that consistently....

Then off to the other side of the lake to swim, sunbathe and watch the Snowbirds (which you can do too; turn up the sound!).

Next, a walk along a local beach, then home to make a delicious and healthy dinner: reheated grilled pork rouladen topped with home made cranberry sauce that I bought at the Farmers' Market yesterday, steamed broccoli & sweet onion, and lightly steamed baby new red potatoes, tossed in lemon butter (also from the Farmers' Market) and fresh parsley. Add a glass of Blaufrankisch summit reserve from the Mount Boucherie winery.....superb!

The next four days of w*rk will pass quickly, I am sure!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #8227
Give me a forum ...

Today I am doing something I have not done for ages...I am dyeing.

I bought 3 white cotton stretchy bras online. I like to wear these under my sundresses, so I decided I wanted them to be black so they are not so obvious.
I already had some RIT dye on hand. I am using the stovetop method, i.e. using a stainless steel pot filled with water. I heated the water almost to boiling, then turned off the heat. I am stirring the mix every 5 minutes.

I feel like the 3 witches in Macbeth.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #8228
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today I am doing something I have not done for ages...I am dyeing.
But...but...you're too young to dye!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #8229

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
But...but...you're too young to dye!
Ba-dump-bah!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 08-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #8230
Give me a forum ...

Morning workout, BS at the diner, Ice skating. General goof off.

Ordered new toy. RC helicopter BLADE SR120 RTF. It is a step up from the old coaxial rotor type, this is single rotor radio controlled.
My old mini coaxial one has dead electronics. Not worth my effort to fix. Maybe a start for a collection.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #8231
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I feel like the 3 witches in Macbeth.
Must not comment for fear of infraction............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #8232
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Ordered new toy. RC helicopter BLADE SR120 RTF. It is a step up from the old coaxial rotor type, this is single rotor radio controlled.
My old mini coaxial one has dead electronics. Not worth my effort to fix. Maybe a start for a collection.
You need one like this. Stable enough to use as a camera platform.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 08-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #8233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yep, I did and he did. His bass player was incredible too. That was one of my favorite shows this year. Along with Taj, Tuna, New Monsoon, Railroad Earth, Dave Grisman, Trampled by Turtles, Yonder Mountain, Sam Bush... and on and on. Interestingly, one of my main reasons for going, Grace Potter, didn't do much for me sound-wise. She still looks incredibly hot, but the song selection just didn't do it for me. Pretty much my only disappointment the whole weekend. Other than having to miss some shows because you can't be in two places at one time.
We survived the journey home in the Argosy! What a great time, though. Six days of music festivaling made for some serious dirty hippie feet by the time we returned home.

Harley was great fun, as always, but we didn't get to hang out enough, because somebody gets to leave the fest every day to go to the land of hotels and hot showers...
Anyway, we did hear some great music (and the best part of all was Sunday afternoon, just because the crowds had thinned out and the folks left were the diehards). Saw some amazing music.

Like Harley, I wasn't wowed by the song selection for Grace Potter, but her voice is still fantastic. We hooped through her whole set! I rarely went to see main stage shows, preferring the more intimate settings (and shade) of the beer garden and dance hall tents.
Highlights for us were: JP Harris and the Tough Choices, American Aquarium, Antioquia, and of course my fave, William Walter. Plus we loved New Monsoon's shows.

Here we are on Sunday at the sign of the "X", marking the 10th year of the festival (and our 7th one).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floydfest2011SM-36.JPG (314.3 KB, 12 views)

Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #8234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Must not comment for fear of infraction............
3 witches in Macbeth...what a line to toss out there ! I knew I'd get a nibble eventually.

I hung up the items and discovered there were a few places that did not get dyed completely. So I reheated my cauldron today and put them in for round 2. This time I will stir them more often and let them soak overnight in the brew.

Now where did I put that eye of newt?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #8235
Give me a forum ...

Avalon, that is a neat heli. For now I'll stick with single rotor.

This morning's fun was to separate a 4x8 middle section of 4'x20' 4" thick concrete sidewalk which is no longer leading anywhere. Propped up one end. Tomorrow or next day will stuff round pieces of firewood under it, then drag it to a new location, approved by the resident landscape architect AKA DW.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #8236
Give me a forum ...

Had to get out and run a few errands. I wanted to wear my flip flops, but I was afraid my feet would slip and touch the asphalt.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #8237
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn patrol again! This swell is just about finished, but we'll have more rolling in on Thursday and filling in on Friday.

Between yesterday's storage cleanout and this morning's paddling, my arms have just about had it. Lunch with a friend, run an errand or two, and take the rest of the day easy...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #8238
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

took DS-15 to 5:40 AM football practice. took a nap. picked up DS-15 from Football Practice. Took a nap. mopped kitchen floor. did laundry. Did some shopping with coupons. Left to do: take DS-15 back to football practice and pick him up, again (two-a-days this week). cook supper. wash dishes. more laundry. Pay bills. Take a nap.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #8239
Give me a forum ...

Took Mom to the orthopedic doc for her final visit. Thank goodness as we waited 2 hours and 20 minutes to see him. He apologized as he did in all our previous visits, but I told him how I felt about it today. I know these guys are wonderful and all at what they do, but damn. A 93 year old woman shouldn't be expected to sit that long in a wheelchair. But they know they got us by the short hairs as there are no other options. All other docs do the same thing in this town.

Oh well, time for something cold to drink.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #8240
Give me a forum ...

I rinsed out my black dyed items and hung them up over a flat piece of cardboard to catch the drips. All items turned out great, consistent pigment uptake. Mission accomplished!
I mowed the front lawn in a 2 piece bathing suit and sneakers and got a nice tan. I must have sweated off 2 lbs of fluids out there. Mr B offered to do half, but I am still very skittish about him doing strenuous things in the heat. Recall that he had a minor heart attack and 2 stents placed almost 3 months ago. He is doing very well, but let us not tempt fate.
Mr B spent most of the day registering for his full time return to college this fall - 4 upper level accounting/finance courses.
The SUNY site was a bit tricky, but he persevered and got himself all set up with the help of a really helpful staffer in the Registrar's office. He will have both day classes and night classes M-Th.
We discussed how I will keep the house quiet when he needs to study, mostly via me disappearing to go do volunteer w*rk so he has the place all to himself with no distractions.
I also plan to take a few trips this fall, both local and long distance, while he is in school.
I give him a lot of credit for undertaking this re-education mission.