Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #8321
Dryer sheet aficionado

W2R - You got the reference! By no means was I implying you were the male or coal miner type. Especially with that Avatar! The nice thing about being ERed is NOT owing your soul to the Mega Corp strore. Glad you are over that bad milk.

Queenine - WTG!! Sometimes you have to be bold and jump back into this crazy market. Celebrate those gains!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #8322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Swam, biked, and ran a sprint triathlon. My first one. I was in a hurry - finiished 7th out of 34 in my age group. I don't think I've ever had that much fun while getting a great workout.
What...no pictures?

Ahhhhh...but anyway, congratulations Ron.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #8323
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
How creepy nice that must seem to you. Does it seem clear what you are to do now that you are now under Medicare?

I am dreading that day because who knows if my doctor will even take it, or how Medicare will interact with my federal BCBS, or what awful surprises might be in store. (shudder)

Probably I have been reading too many negative articles about Medicare. I hope.
I'm 5 months away from Medicare and also wondering about my federal BCBS.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #8324
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Received my "Welcome to Medicare" packet and ID card in the mail...
Um-- congratulations....? Condolences?

Medigap policies seem like a waste of money until you need them-- and then you're really glad you have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I don't know how this guy can deal with liability.
Maybe he figures that he only needs liability insurance if he has assets. And if he had any assets, I wonder if he'd be performing at the county fair...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #8325
Give me a forum ...

I changed my primary email address today. Well, to be honest, Mr B changed it for me at my request. The former email address contained a reference to persons no longer in my universe.
I had been temporarily diverting some necessary email to a personal yahoo address so I could get a handle on the combination of personal, business, and general interest email sources. I unsubscribed to several newsletters and online shopping sites, gradually narrowing the flood of emails coming to the old address.
It took me quite a while to go through entering the new email address on credit union, investment, and billing accounts. I now have a clean slate. Glad that project is done with.
Any junk mail still going to the former address will end up somewhere in cyberspace. Somewhere...
Old 08-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #8326
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Received my "Welcome to Medicare" packet and ID card in the mail...
Isn't that about ten years too early ?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #8327
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I'm 5 months away from Medicare and also wondering about my federal BCBS.
From what I have heard is Medicare will be your primary and federal BCBS will pay the deductibles and anything that is not covered by Medicare . So we will still be paying for federal BCBS and the $115 for Medicare part B
Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #8328
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
What...no pictures?

Ahhhhh...but anyway, congratulations Ron.
Thanks!, but there's no way i'd post most of the pics that my SIL took.

Ok - this one's not bad - I'm in there somewhere.

image-1722100240.png
Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #8329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
From what I have heard is Medicare will be your primary and federal BCBS will pay the deductibles and anything that is not covered by Medicare . So we will still be paying for federal BCBS and the $115 for Medicare part B
Thanks for the info, I'm hoping it will work that way.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #8330
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Isn't that about ten years too early ?
We may grow older, but we refuse to grow up...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #8331
Give me a forum ...

Took the mutt hiking today. What a beautiful day too. Temp was reasonable and the humidity low. Compared to what we have had lately, felt like Fall.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #8332
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I changed my primary email address today. Well, to be honest, Mr B changed it for me at my request. The former email address contained a reference to persons no longer in my universe.
I had been temporarily diverting some necessary email to a personal yahoo address so I could get a handle on the combination of personal, business, and general interest email sources. I unsubscribed to several newsletters and online shopping sites, gradually narrowing the flood of emails coming to the old address.
It took me quite a while to go through entering the new email address on credit union, investment, and billing accounts. I now have a clean slate. Glad that project is done with.
Any junk mail still going to the former address will end up somewhere in cyberspace. Somewhere...
That is a huge accomplishment! I can't imagine trying to think of everyone and every establishment that would need to be contacted. Congratulations on completing this successfully.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #8333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks!, but there's no way i'd post most of the pics that my SIL took.

Ok - this one's not bad - I'm in there somewhere.

Attachment 12419
You look marvelous!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #8334
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
You look marvelous!
I don't? I'm in my photo.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #8335

Went for my normal 5K run this morning. Here in the SE part of Arizona August 16th and the temperature at 6:30 was 62 degrees. Unbelievable.

Where is global warming?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #8336
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I think I can speak for bbbam too when I say your four-legged persona is quite handsome too!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #8337
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That is a huge accomplishment! I can't imagine trying to think of everyone and every establishment that would need to be contacted. Congratulations on completing this successfully.
It was drummed into my head for over 20 years at w*rk..."Never write your passwords down". Baloney! CRS is alive and well between my ears. I actually keep a small notebook of all current online accounts and passwords, safely stored somewhere in the house.

I approached the email change project with a classic "divide and conquer" algorithm.
All I had to do is keep a running tally of all incoming email to the old address for a few weeks, unsubscribing or diverting "keepers" to the yahoo email, and only keeping the emails for bill paying, credit union statements, and friends that I needed to keep active.
Immediately after Mr B did the address change, I went through the little notebook, changing each critical account at a time, updating the notebook record as I went. I sent a broadcast "address change" email to all friends.
Now I will do same at the yahoo email, unsubscribing and/or eliminating all unecessary "junk" email. Poof!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #8338
Give me a forum ...

Today I got my teeth cleaned. Not much fun to have that done at 9 AM, but it is a necessary preventative to keep periodontal disease from recurring. I set up 4 appointments per year, and usually make it to 3 of them, if not all 4.

We're going to head to the Legion later for some company and a few cold ones. I've been home for 2 days straight and need to get out and socialize.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #8339
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I feel yer aura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think I can speak for bbbam too when I say your four-legged persona is quite handsome too!
Yep.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #8340
Recycles dryer sheets

We moved the Tin-Can down the Oregon coast to a park near Brookings. We've been in Oregon since mid-June. First impressions seem nice, we're going to stay here a while.

On the road yesterday, DW mentioned she could spend a summer in Oregon. I just shook my head- seems like what we are doing.

I had big problems parking the RV here yesterday. Had to back uphill on a narrow road, site and road at odd angles. Now I know why the site was vacant. Made many errors, not just backing. After 6 years, I should be better at this.
Closed Thread