Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

That's the Life!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #8341
Recycles dryer sheets

That's the Life!

winger,

DW and I hope to follow in your footsteps at some point. FIRE is new to us so we're just now trying it on for size. Lots of trips planned in the next six months. At some point we'll be on the road more than at home. Then we can decide if we're selling the house or otherwise downsizing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #8342
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I sold my car yesterday. Even tho our other car and motorcycle are in the garage...the garage looks kind of empty. It's strange how I can feel emotional about a car...but I do. I kept the license plates and put one up on the garage wall.

Makes me think about rounding up pics of all the vehicles we've owned and framing them in a collage. Hmmmmm....

As for today, I'm trying not to sweat. I'm so tired of this heat.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #8343
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I sold my car yesterday.
Is there a "rest of the story" to that? Everything OK, or does the Harley take up too much space?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #8344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Is there a "rest of the story" to that? Everything OK, or does the Harley take up too much space?
Nah...not much of a story. Just downsizing a bit I guess. I can add the money we would spend on my car to other areas of our budget. Seems as if I've been thinking more of experiences instead of things lately.

Heh...if the Harley didn't fit in the garage, it would probably be parked in the living room.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #8345
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
I placed an order and bought my very first ever stocks today! The stocks went up a bit by today's closing, so I think I did good. I like the feeling of accomplishment.

Quite proud of myself and just had to tell someone!
I don't think anyone else commented on this, so I'd like to offer my congratulations. Many of your stock purchases will go up and many will go down. Don't worry about it. As long as you have a good reason for buying, and you have good criteria for knowing when to sell, you'll be fine.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #8346
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I don't think anyone else commented on this, so I'd like to offer my congratulations. Many of your stock purchases will go up and many will go down. Don't worry about it. As long as you have a good reason for buying, and you have good criteria for knowing when to sell, you'll be fine.
Well, those particular stocks fell today, so I bought more. I thought that would be the right thing to do. For the rest of my portfolio, i have automated through VG so have a weekly DCAing going on with the 4 funds. I will see week by week whether to value cost, will perhaps do that if difference is large enough otherwise just leave it standard and keep my eye on the AA.

For the stock I re-invested the same amount of my initial investment. I hope that was wise.

Thanks Braumeister for the congrats!

Queenie
Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #8347
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Makes me think about rounding up pics of all the vehicles we've owned and framing them in a collage. Hmmmmm....
That's a fun idea. We took a picture of Jenny every year on the first day of school. She put them all together in order, framed them, and gave them to us as a present. It's fun to have.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #8348
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday...I finally bit the bullet and dragged out my 2009 budget spreadsheet for a long overdue update. Now that I have an real accountant in my pocket, I knew I would get some constructive feedback on my engineer's linear thought process to capture my income and current expenses.
Mr B took one look at the spreadsheet (exact quote "you gotta be kidding me") and pronounced it confusing as h*ll. He gave me some good tips on how to reorganize it so it was readable.
So I moved a bunch or rows around, did some category overhauling, and entered the current 2011 data. I found out that I am not only meeting my costs easily, but have more leftover disposable income than I thought.

Today I had a repair guy over to look at my 22 year old Kenmore washing machine. It no longer pumps out the rinse water, nor goes into spin cycle. He declared it a lost cause and suggested I go to Lowe's and select a new one. I will pay for the delivery and setup of the new machine, including removal of the old beast. We ain't 20 anymore.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #8349

Quote:
Heh...if the Harley didn't fit in the garage, it would probably be parked in the living room.
I did have this one parked in my living room in 1975-76. I brought a girlfriend in there and her comment was "Uh, that's a unique centerpiece you have there..."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motorcycle-copy.jpg (71.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #8350
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34

I did have this one parked in my living room in 1975-76. I brought a girlfriend in there and her comment was "Uh, that's a unique centerpiece you have there..."
We have that in common. I had my Triumph tiger cub in my bedroom in my apt in college in 1974-1975. We pushed it up three flights of stairs. My roommate also had a bike.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #8351
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That seems like a good girlfriend screening tool.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #8352
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...Today I had a repair guy over to look at my 22 year old Kenmore washing machine. It no longer pumps out the rinse water, nor goes into spin cycle. He declared it a lost cause and suggested I go to Lowe's and select a new one. I will pay for the delivery and setup of the new machine, including removal of the old beast. We ain't 20 anymore.
Part II of the washing machine story...the plot thickens

I researched Whirlpool washers at Lowe's website, looking specifically for an agitator (not an impeller type), top load washing machine, preferably with analog control dials (not a touch control panel).
I am going on the advice of my friend the appliance repair guy, who knows what types break down frequently and which don't, based on his 30 years of doing this line of w*rk. I found exactly 1 agitator type with dial controls, in stock, with a 10% sale going on and a special offer for free delivery/setup/haul-away until Aug 22.
So off we went to the store. By prior agreement, Mr B had the lead on the customer role. I filled him in on the research on the way to the store. Mr B clearly stated our specs to the young clerk. This young man tried like h*ll to get us to buy an impeller type. I let the clerk go on for 4-5 sentences, then bailed out Mr B by simply saying.."Can we close this discussion and move on to what we are looking for?" with a huge .
Mr B took back the helm and closed the deal, scoring an extra 10% off with his veterans' discount. No, we did not want to buy a 4 yr service plan for $100.
We then hit the dehumdifier display, with the clerk in tow. Mr B and I decided on the 50 instead of the 70 collector size. I grabbed some RoundUp while he and Junior loaded the dehumidifier into a cart.
We spent a lot today, but we needed both appliances in real time.
The discount on all 3 items came up to to approx $70 and we did not have to pay for delivery etc.
AND...I am relieved of laundry duty until Thursday AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #8353
Administrator

It was a bright, sunny day, so the young wife and I broke out the roadster this morning and headed north from our home on the shore of Long Island Sound, up through the Litchfield hills, to Great Barrington, Mass. It was a spectacular drive on the back roads of northwest Connecticut. As we drove on winding roads, past hills and valleys and farms and vineyards, historic homes and little town greens, I was reminded again just how lucky we are to live in such a green and prosperous land.

We ate a wonderful lunch in Great Barrington, at a very lovely restaurant called Fiori. The food and wine were excellent, the service prompt and friendly, and the tasteful art deco interior was just perfect. On the drive back home, we stopped for ice cream at Rich Farm Ice Cream on Rte. 67 in Oxford, CT. The ice cream is made daily on the farm. It is by far the best ice cream I have ever eaten.

This evening, we enjoyed BLT's made from Ramapo tomatoes from our garden, and fresh picked local sweet corn from the farm stand.

All in all, a really great day.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #8354
Give me a forum ...

Participated in Day 1 of a golf tournament which is raising money for something close to me. Lots of fun, except that I (a) lost 3 balls; (b) broke my brand new driver, on my best tee shot of the day! The head just flew off after a normal tee shot. I had not had any luck using it all day. Something just felt wrong. I took it back to where I bought it, and discovered that this is the third driver of its type that has been returned following normal use. It's going back to the shop and I am expecting a new one. Meanwhile I have a loaner. I hope to be less of a liability to my team tomorrow!

Which brings me to a beef I have. Why do so many new items have quality problems? I've recently bought some new furniture items, and they have all had some kind of defect, e.g. the desk (made in USA) taken out of the box with a big scratch along the edge; the office chair (made in China) with the arm that falls off; the golf driver (made in China) that falls apart after three weeks of normal use.

My 16 year old Honda looks better every day.....
Old 08-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #8355
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Participated in Day 1 of a golf tournament which is raising money for something close to me. Lots of fun, except that I (a) lost 3 balls; (b) broke my brand new driver, on my best tee shot of the day! The head just flew off after a normal tee shot. I had not had any luck using it all day. Something just felt wrong. I took it back to where I bought it, and discovered that this is the third driver of its type that has been returned following normal use. It's going back to the shop and I am expecting a new one. Meanwhile I have a loaner. I hope to be less of a liability to my team tomorrow!

Which brings me to a beef I have. Why do so many new items have quality problems? I've recently bought some new furniture items, and they have all had some kind of defect, e.g. the desk (made in USA) taken out of the box with a big scratch along the edge; the office chair (made in China) with the arm that falls off; the golf driver (made in China) that falls apart after three weeks of normal use.

My 16 year old Honda looks better every day.....
Oh my! What a shock it must have been when your driver broke like that.

Sorry to hear that your desk and chair had some defects. I guess I was lucky with my desk (made in China), since I haven't discovered any problems with it yet. I had no idea that furniture was getting so shoddy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #8356
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last night we went to a display of a traveling 3/4 size replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall. Very nicely done. Included a display of Vietnam War equipment. It was open 24/day for a 3 day weekend and we went late to avoid crowds and parking hassles. There were attendants available to answer questions, even overnight.

The size of the wall, even at 3/4 size is impressive. Seeing name after name, panel after panel, you start to understand the scale of the loss. I thought about all the families that got that knock on the door with the devastating news and how all those families coped with their losses.

DH looked for 2 names of men he knew had died in Vietnam. One was the son of a family from his church when he was a kid, another was an older brother of his sister's best friend.

The world is missing a lot of people who would have been in their 60's and 70's now. DH was too young to be drafted but my sister's first husband had an unlucky number and was drafted. He got out because of a medical issue.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #8357
Give me a forum ...

I split firewood today. My neighbor is moving, and offered me all of his unsplit rounds. I thought I might decline, given my recent back problems, but I decided I could split the rounds on his property, and move the split wood to my house. That way I don't need to pick up the heavy rounds and put them into the truck.

I will have to split wood every day for the next two weeks or so, but I should end up with enough to heat our house all winter.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #8358
Give me a forum ...

Let's see...
I divided up and froze 8 boiled half chickens, left over from a fundraiser chicken BBQ we helped at yesterday. I did light duty kitchen tasks, assisting the main cook. It was a good w*rkout, however my large muscles are talking back to me a bit today. Mr B carried a lot of chicken from the kitchen to the outside grill. The total attendance was over 150. The organizers were very pleased with our efforts, and invited us back anytime to help out. Helping out is much cheaper than a gym membership.
Today I moved a corner curio cabinet out of the corner, then spackled a few nail holes, in preparation of finishing the living room painting j*b. No more high 80Fs temperatures forecast for a few days, I will finally be able to open the windows to let the paint fumes air out.
Biggest thrill of the day ? I emptied the dishwasher.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #8359

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Went for my normal 5K run this morning. Here in the SE part of Arizona August 16th and the temperature at 6:30 was 62 degrees. Unbelievable.

Where is global warming?
It moved to Texas.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #8360

Cutting down trees all day. I hope I can pick up the coffee mug tomorrow.