Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #8361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not much. Tomorrow's forecast shows a repeat of the same.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #8362

Spent nearly five hours using a jackhammer yesterday. First time I've ever played with one, and sincerely hope it will be the last. Impressively efficient tool, though!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #8363
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Spent nearly five hours using a jackhammer yesterday. First time I've ever played with one, and sincerely hope it will be the last. Impressively efficient tool, though!

"Shakin All Over" (Guess Who and Johnny Kidd) would be transformed to "Achin All Over" for me. The thought hurts.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #8364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I bet you're sore today, right?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #8365
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I will have to split wood every day for the next two weeks or so, but I should end up with enough to heat our house all winter.
I sure hope you have a hydraulic wood splitter.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #8366
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Have you "discovered" any sewage drains or sprinkler pipes with it yet?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #8367
Give me a forum ...

T-minus 6 days until Mr B becomes a full-time student. He went to pick up his books at the college today. He seems to be a little apprehensive about the coming w*rkload. However, he is very excited about fulfilling a dream of his to get the additional accounting and finance coursew*rk he needs to sit for the CPA exam.
I can't be of any help with the accounting classes, but I can proofread his homework before it is submitted for grading.
I have my indoor and outdoor projects all lined up to keep me occupied while he is in class (indoor projects) or studying here (outdoor projects). I am used to and usually prefer w*rking alone. All I need is some good tunes and the right tools.
I may have to invest in a wireless headset so I don't disturb him with my music while he is studying at home during the winter.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #8368
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Speaking of shaking all over, spent an hour or so surveying the house to make sure today's earthquake didn't do any damage. Fortunately, no. Was a bit spooky though. The cat was not amused.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #8369
Give me a forum ...

Another truckload of wood split (1 hour about .25 cord).

No hydraulic splitter, just this splitting maul and wedges and a sledge hammer. Most pieces I can split in two with the wedge, then use the maul to finish it up. For a big round, I can move around the periphery, biting off pieces.

The round shown by the arrow here:

Looks like this when halfway done:

and like this when completely split:

It's great exercise -- high intensity with about 300 1 second "sprints."

Then Lena dragged me out on a bike ride with a picnic lunch in impossibly good weather:

Then during the bike ride, unbelievably, Lena and I got separated. It goes to show that it can happen under any circumstances. She said let's go here, I said let's go there, and she was looking down at her bike when I started off. We both searched. She'd forgotten her phone, so I didn't see her again until I got home.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #8370

The jackhammer was relatively small (the rental place called it the "35 pound model"). They wanted to give me the 70 pound model, but that looked like a lot for someone my size to manhandle around. The 35 pounder wasn't hard to handle, but yeah, I was sore afterward. The good news is that I forced myself to go out for a run this morning, and by the time I finished all the soreness was gone.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #8371

Had to get up early to go register and wait for emergency dental work at the County Hospital.

You'd think that this sort of scenario would be pretty grim, and I wasn't particularly looking forward to it. I got there at 7am and walked out the door just before 2pm, but the experience was quite enjoyable due to the company of 3 lovely and interesting people with whom I shared conversation while we waited. One was an unemployed social worker and the other two were an elderly man and woman originally from Louisiana who shared some great stories of Southern hospitality and how things used to be in the South generally.

When sitting in waiting rooms, I often hope to be able to enjoy a good conversation with the person sitting next to me but more often than not, they are either wearing ear-buds and are locked into their own personal worlds, or are otherwise disconnected from the here and now.

I'm now on a waiting list for an appointment to get a crown and I'm almost looking forward to the inevitable wait when I go back in a few months.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #8372
Moderator Emeritus

I've been working on the book for at least six years now, and writing the blog for nearly a year, but this is one of those days when it's still hard to believe it.

I got an e-mail at 5 AM from Military Times columnist Andrew Tilghman, who's writing a followup on the Defense Business Board proposal to destroy radically reform military retirement. He'd actually read my blog post (thank you, Google) and wanted interview quotes. I e-mailed him back, a few minutes later my phone rang, and we chatted for 20 minutes. I hopefully didn't babble too badly. I got a chance to cover the points of military retention, financial independence, and early retirement. He'll let us know when the article is published. I mailed him a copy of the book for him to write a review.

And then I went surfing in the 5-7 foot swells brought to us by the ragged remnants of Hurricane Fernanda falling apart into a tropical depression. This is the kind of hurricane weather I don't mind dealing with.

Quote:
The jackhammer was relatively small (the rental place called it the "35 pound model"). They wanted to give me the 70 pound model, but that looked like a lot for someone my size to manhandle around. The 35 pounder wasn't hard to handle, but yeah, I was sore afterward. The good news is that I forced myself to go out for a run this morning, and by the time I finished all the soreness was gone.
Depending on how much dead-lifting and dragging you care to do from one spot to another, the 70-90 pound models actually seem a bit easier to operate.

The heavier ones must absorb the impact and beat right back down on the concrete, while the lighter ones beat up on the operator.

But the "Cool!" factor wears off pretty quickly, and the next-best thing about renting a jackhammer is returning it...

20 years ago I had the "opportunity" to rent a concrete saw and then follow up with some precision jackhammering. In a bathroom. To reroute the drain for a new whirlpool tub. The mess was simply indescribable, and I was rinsing concrete dust out of my orifi for days.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #8373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
But the "Cool!" factor wears off pretty quickly, and the next-best thing about renting a jackhammer is returning it....
Very well put!
Fortunately, my exercise was outdoors, so one good shower afterward was enough.
I have a newfound respect for the guys who do this for a living.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #8374

Quote:
Another truckload of wood split (1 hour about .25 cord).

No hydraulic splitter, just this splitting maul and wedges and a sledge hammer. Most pieces I can split in two with the wedge, then use the maul to finish it up. For a big round, I can move around the periphery, biting off pieces.

The round shown by the arrow here:

Looks like this when halfway done:

and like this when completely split:

It's great exercise -- high intensity with about 300 1 second "sprints."

Then Lena dragged me out on a bike ride with a picnic lunch in impossibly good weather:

Then during the bike ride, unbelievably, Lena and I got separated. It goes to show that it can happen under any circumstances. She said let's go here, I said let's go there, and she was looking down at her bike when I started off. We both searched. She'd forgotten her phone, so I didn't see her again until I got home.
You have mighty big "rounds" in those parts. What kind of wood is it?
Neat technique for splitting them.
Nice pics!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #8375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe

You have mighty big "rounds" in those parts. What kind of wood is it?
Neat technique for splitting them.
Nice pics!
It's fir and some pine. All from trees that fell down in storms.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #8376
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's fir and some pine. All from trees that fell down in storms.
I have never had a fireplace and live in the South where not many people do, so I am completely ignorant of this - - but I thought I read somewhere that burning pine will cause creosote build-up in the chimney over time, and cause a chimney fire eventually. Is this a worry for you? I probably just don't get it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #8377
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have never had a fireplace and live in the South where not many people do, so I am completely ignorant of this - - but I thought I read somewhere that burning pine will cause creosote build-up in the chimney over time, and cause a chimney fire eventually. Is this a worry for you? I probably just don't get it.
No, pine is OK, and I've never had any creosote problems. I know this because the guy who cleans the chimney is a good friend of mine: Namely, me!

Pine Causes Creosote?

I got another truckload today.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #8378
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

How is your back holding up?
Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #8379
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of work! No need for you to go to the gym today, that's for sure. I just got back from the gym but you probably lifted more than I did, and then split it too.

Thanks for the information about burning pine. That makes a lot of sense.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #8380
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
How is your back holding up?
It's totally OK, but I am being careful to not lift any rounds -- just roll them over to the splitting loc. I feel like I could lift them, that is, I feel as good as new, but I am no longer willing to take chances with my back.