what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
70 + degrees today. Cut up the rest of my uprooted maple into stove size pieces. Stacked the wood in the woodshed. Planted five forsythia bushes (5' to 6'tall) bought a at Lowe's. It was good to be in the sun all day.
Time for some frosty mug of cheer.

Yesterday, my new sawmill with all the options was delivered so I played, whoops, worked all afternoon cutting up some cherry and poplar- way better than my manual mill, this one has hydraulics to lift, level, clamp, and turn the log. Your job is to remember what all the knobs and levers do and make sure you don't cut in to the metal supports and clamps- definitely the end of a blade if you do that. The guy who delivered it offered to drive the blade in to a support to make the first nick and get it over with- guess that's like the first door ding on a new car. I declined the offer and will do it myself. I'm already ahead of the last mill as I cut in to the support on the very first log on my first mill- I pointed out the mark to the guy who bought that mill from me when we put it on his truck this morning.

Big disappointment, rain here today so didn't go to the farm where the mill is- left it there because the job I have will take quite a while at the pace I work and no reason to trailer it back and forth although the neighbors here were wanting to check it out.

Your job is to remember what all the knobs and levers do and make sure you don't cut in to the metal supports and clamps- definitely the end of a blade if you do that. The guy who delivered it offered to drive the blade in to a support to make the first nick and get it over with- guess that's like the first door ding on a new car. I declined the offer and will do it myself. I'm already ahead of the last mill as I cut in to the support on the very first log on my first mill- I pointed out the mark to the guy who bought that mill from me when we put it on his truck this morning.

Dave- sounds like an exciting purchase. What does a blade cost?

Ha

I went outside in brilliant sunshine and beautiful spring weather. :clap:
I saw the tippy tops of crocus and tulips emerging in my front garden. I spread out some rather large mouse nests (made from lawn clippings) that were under the snow. No meeses spotted TG. :D
dh2b is having a crazy time at w*rk lately, trying to cover 2 w*rkloads by himself :(, so it will be "let him chill out" night tonight. the TLC meter will be cranked up.
I must have something tattooed on my forehead that I am not aware of. :nonono: I got a call today from a former cow*rker asking me if I was bored and was I interested in "making a lot of money". And just yesterday I had another guy ask me if I wanted to get in on some real estate deals. Huh?
NO and NO.

Dave- sounds like an exciting purchase. What does a blade cost?

Ha

About $20 and depending how bad you hit it, it might not be ruined but will be able to be resharpened. When I cut for customers cutting their logs, I charge for the blade if I hit metal in the log, it's my cost if I hit a support. I have been on jobs where I hit metal two or three times- nails holding up old deer stands seems to be the most common thing for me to hit. Sometimes, you can see a black mark in the end of the log that is a metal stain if it's near enough to where it was cut and a metal detector can pick up some metal a couple of inches deep. I used to use a detector on all jobs but stopped because people felt it was a guarantee that there wasn't anything in the log and would be upset if we hit something, now I just let folks take their chances unless it's someone I've known or cut for before.

Went for a 3.5 mile walk. Did some weights. Went wine tasting. Spent probably too much on wine. Getting ready to grill some chicken and toss back a few glasses :cool:

Listened to at least 25 different versions of "don't worry, be happy"

Smiled all day.

YouTube is great.

Mowed lot's of weeds today. Went to the dermatologist for a follow up visit this afternoon. A month ago he removed a squamous cell off my temple. Today he froze the area with a gas gun that felt like a blow torch. Suppose to blister up and peel off. Go back in 6 weeks to see how it heals. He said he might prescribe a cream that also kills the area. So should be good and dead in that area by time he's through.:blink:

Tonight made some wheat pancakes. Washing clothes at the moment. Exciting day.:flowers:

Lucky you. I plan to do the same in approximately 109 days (until my retirement day).:)

We have a foursome going over for the Monday practice round at Augusta.
Will plan a nice course in Augusta on Sunday and Capstone near Tuscaloosa on Tuesday returning.

We have a foursome going over for the Monday practice round at Augusta.
Will plan a nice course in Augusta on Sunday and Capstone near Tuscaloosa on Tuesday returning.

I made the trip last year. We played a course in north AL near Anniston. Silver Lakes which is a Robert Trent Jones course. Have a good trip.

I've been seeing a bunch of sawmill ads in the banner recently. :LOL:

Lingerie, lingerie, lingerie, lingerie, thongs, bras, 4 inch heels. All together now! :D

Crocus and tulips progress report : 1.5 inches growth in 24 hours.

oh, the little things in life that make me smile. :D

Attachments

• Spring2009 009.jpg
    Spring2009 009.jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Spring2009 010.jpg
    Spring2009 010.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 1
I've been seeing a bunch of sawmill ads in the banner recently. :LOL:

Lingerie, lingerie, lingerie, lingerie, thongs, bras, 4 inch heels. All together now! :D

All I get is ads for soup! Guess I must have said somewhere that I am a mom.

Daffodils and crocus and squill blooming; tulips and hyacinth up; trees and roses budding; hawks courting.

....Went to a very interesting exhibit of American Art from The Yale U. Art Gallery. It is huge; I'll have to go back more than once. It amounts to a history lesson....
Yes, art museums can be educational or sometimes just fun like “Friday nite at the museum” which had an event called “The Great Tortilla Conspiracy.” They put black food coloring in Hershey’s Syrup, then this guy silk screened Andy Warhol’s face onto tortillas.

Saw Donald Runnicles in one of the galleries, I’m a great fan. Dale Chihuly was going through an exhibit where photography is not allowed, wished I could have gotten a shot of his shoes which had multi-colored specks all over the tops, he was otherwise dressed in black from eye patch to ankles. It was so weird as when I walked into the gallery, I thought the last exhibit I saw there was Chihuly's and then there he was with museum staff.

Attachments

• IMG_4714.jpg
    IMG_4714.jpg
    700.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4713.jpg
    IMG_4713.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4711.jpg
    IMG_4711.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4704.jpg
    IMG_4704.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 3
Wallyworld to exchange that *#@ cable. Ran into a former female cow*rker who just was amazed at how much younger I looked. :blush:
Breakfast at Denny's. Pigged out on the Heartland Slam.
Haircut, very very short. More grey mixed in with the black hair that landed on the plastic coverup. :cool:
Checked out ice cover on lake. Still frozen over, but I wouldn't walk on it.

Attachments

• Spring2009 006.jpg
    Spring2009 006.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 0
A Sign of the Times

I meant to post this last week...this was discovered on the shore of the small lake where I boat in warm weather.
Name that freshwater fish if you can.
It kinda reminded me of my portfolio...:LOL:

Attachments

• Spring2009 008.jpg
    Spring2009 008.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 1
I forgot it was Saturday and went to the grocery store.

What is so important that people can't go 10 minutes without talking on the phone about it?

Had weekend class today, learned the supine Thai massage techniques.....awesome stuff!
I just never knew that there is such a wide array of modalities available out there!
Going to a meeting tonight and seeing some friends.
Sleep kind of early....class again tomorrow night.

I meant to post this last week...this was discovered on the shore of the small lake where I boat in warm weather.
Name that freshwater fish if you can.
It kinda reminded me of my portfolio...:LOL:

No ichthyologist, nor fisherman, nor seafood chef here, but I vote for a catfish.

As part of my "take pictures of everyday activities, not just trips or special occasions" policy, I took our camera along on our typical rummage sale/garage sale Saturday.

First rummage sale was a good one, but only got one book and a blueberry cobbler:

http://www.early-retirement.org/att...798522_0_031ba4ca1d12d79e689199cc2a5e497c.jpg
img_798522_0_031ba4ca1d12d79e689199cc2a5e497c.jpg

img_798522_1_e34a55adb57e9d030420fdcf0eb6626f.jpg

The car had had a mitosis attack, so DW was confused when we came out:

img_798522_2_954c088b2ce7465931d4e2192701ba32.jpg

We hit another rummage sale, and a few garage sales,

img_798522_3_9a8200c6d763cdebf6201ada13f38133.jpg

and it was on to the library for five videos

img_798522_4_31c51364e3bcca3809b0ee9be71668c8.jpg

Next was lunchtime samples with the hairnet brigade at Costco:

img_798522_5_74f07472d40c01dfcdc31308bfe23790.jpg

img_798522_6_4274f919b5092e0423a0fa6750f6626a.jpg

It was an 8/10 rating for the samples today: Turkey and ham sandwich, pasta with Parmesan, pomegranate juice, mango juice, pulled pork sandwich, two kinds of salmon, chicken wings, tri-tip, falafel ball with tsatsiki sauce, and meatball. We also did not get "Costco stomach," for some reason.

More garage sales and some food shopping, then home.

Two rummage sales and about 8 garage sales and here's the final take:

img_798522_7_e94f5a0a60339bf8003c808aa12b5cf1.jpg

We'd been looking for a pressure cooker since our old one blew out the safety seal. The shoes at the bottom are biking shoes, and the phone is a replacement for ours which was starting to interrupt our conversations with static.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom