Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #8381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today..I had all good intentions of painting, but blew it off. I just wasn't in the mood. I am a perfectionist when it comes to painting, so I thought it best to hold off instead of doing it to get it done.
I received several emails from a high school friend, telling me there was going to be an All Class Reunion held in October this year, down by NYC where I grew up. The strange thing is the event is being organized by a nun whose name I do not recognize at all , not by alumni. My very small all girls' Catholic high school was closed down 4 years after I graduated. I cannot picture this reunion being too much fun at all.
I am planning to go to FL in October, so I think I'll pass on this one and catch the 40th reunion if alumni are the organizers.
I did create a very basic Facebook page so I can get announcements and link back up with former classmates. I am no longer a dinosaur.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #8382
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The strange thing is the event is being organized by a nun whose name I do not recognize at all
Sister Mary Elephant?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #8383
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Sister Mary Elephant?
I wish.

Given the choice between a week trip to FL whenever I want to go versus being tied down to a specific date to attend a HS reunion organized by a nun AND being held at a convent (no I'm not kidding), located more than 4 hours drive away, what would YOU do?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #8384
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a reunion guy, but my 20th reunion (1991) was a mind-blowing experience. I've skipped the others, but if they weren't in New York (Long Island), I might have gone.

So if you haven't been to a reunion, I recommend it.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #8385
Moderator Emeritus

Sort of a sad day. Unpleasant reality check...

There's a small group of us who've known each other since our late teens, and we've worked together on and off over the years, doing startup companies and some other crazy stuff. One of the guys, among the few remaining at work, let us know today that he's leaving his job that he's loved doing all these years for medical reasons.

He'd rather be working on things, but he just can't any more.

It's a horrible thing to hear in some ways, and in others it helps me realize that letting go of work and redefining myself in other ways might have been the best thing I could have done for myself and my family.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #8386
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

There's a small group of us who've known each other since our late teens, and we've worked together on and off over the years, doing startup companies and some other crazy stuff. One of the guys, among the few remaining at work, let us know today that he's leaving his job that he's loved doing all these years for medical reasons.

His first name wouldn't be Steve, would it?

Steve Jobs Steps Down, Tim Cook Named Apple CEO | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Sad situation...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #8387
Moderator Emeritus

What did we do today? Tore up a lot of drywall. I think we have about three more days left.

We're "helping" the contractors on our familyroom renovation by removing the wall & ceiling drywall. We've uncovered dozens of (empty) termite tunnels from our 2003 infestation, and the damage is far worse than we imagined. "Luckily" the most-damaged parts of the framing were going to be removed during the renovation anyway. The termites just helped us get a head start on the project...

Quote:
I'm not a reunion guy, but my 20th reunion (1991) was a mind-blowing experience. I've skipped the others, but if they weren't in New York (Long Island), I might have gone.
I went to my 5th where the obnoxious drunk still was, and the hot cheerleaders still were, and the really hot ditzy airhead cheerleader was a stereotypical flight attendant who must've really annoyed the heck out of the legitimate hard-working flight attendants.

But judging from my high school alumni Facebook posts the obnoxious drunk still is, the hot cheerleaders no longer are, and the really hot ditzy airhead cheerleader has had way too much plastic surgery. I've decided that I'm going to keep my cherished illusions & fond memories of my high-school classmates and no longer destroy them with the reality of reunions. I have a few high-school friends who I'll continue to visit, or who'll visit Hawaii, regardless of what semi-decennial anniversary crops up.

I've had absolutely no trouble skipping out on USNA reunions. Couldn't pay me to attend one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
It's a horrible thing to hear in some ways, and in others it helps me realize that letting go of work and redefining myself in other ways might have been the best thing I could have done for myself and my family.
In many ways I think the Wizard of Woz got the better deal.

No matter what happens from here, it's Jobs' own challenge to reboot his life. I don't think anyone else can (or should) try to do it for him. Every other retiring world-class executive before him has faced the same challenge.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #8388
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I wish.

Given the choice between a week trip to FL whenever I want to go versus being tied down to a specific date to attend a HS reunion organized by a nun AND being held at a convent (no I'm not kidding), located more than 4 hours drive away, what would YOU do?
You could always take 10 or 20 litres of sacramental wine to the reunion and watch what happens. I will send you a virtual carboy of dry red.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #8389
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In many ways I think the Wizard of Woz got the better deal.

No matter what happens from here, it's Jobs' own challenge to reboot his life. I don't think anyone else can (or should) try to do it for him. Every other retiring world-class executive before him has faced the same challenge.
Since he's remaining on as Chairman, I don't think he's going to be doing too much rebooting. He's not a PC, after all. I think that by removing the responsibilities of being CEO he's taking his personal and medical issues out of the flow of everyday administrative stuff that needs to be done for Apple. I admire him for that, and hope he takes good care of himself moving forward. But I suspect on the day he finally dies they'll have to carry him out of the office on a plank. He's not like us, he loves his job (and the fame and ego boosting that goes with it). Good for him.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #8390

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Since he's remaining on as Chairman, I don't think he's going to be doing too much rebooting. He's not a PC, after all. I think that by removing the responsibilities of being CEO he's taking his personal and medical issues out of the flow of everyday administrative stuff that needs to be done for Apple. I admire him for that, and hope he takes good care of himself moving forward. But I suspect on the day he finally dies they'll have to carry him out of the office on a plank. He's not like us, he loves his job (and the fame and ego boosting that goes with it). Good for him.
If he can still provide the "vision" and the innovation without some of the added stressful responsibilities of the CEO that take a toll on his health, it could be a good thing. But the public really doesn't know whether this is a preventative measure to protect his health or something more worrisome.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #8391

On impulse we went out to dinner at a steakhouse, then suddenly opted for salads instead. Go figure.

Afterward we stopped at a nearby park for a photo op.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Park-water_08-24-11_4359.jpg (108.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Park-water_08-24-11_4373.jpg (123.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #8392

Today is day 3 of a 6 day dog-sitting adventure. Paige, my SIL's 1 y.o. golden retriever is a handful. But after a boat ride, a 1 hr hike, a swim in the lake, and some stick retrieving, she's finally zonked out. Now on to the chiropractor for some adjustments. Not dog related - tweaked my back doing rows on the bowflex.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #8393
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Went to the county fair after the ultrasound.

I don't know how this guy can deal with liability. He also rode holding two small kids.

Just out of curiosity.... did he have a really high voice? Ouch!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #8394
Give me a forum ...

I split and stacked another truckload of firewood from my neighbor's rounds, and my main shed is now full (about 2.2 cords).

ShedFull.jpg

I'm definitely going to have enough wood to heat the house all winter.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #8395
Full time employment: Posting here.

T-Al says,
"I'm definitely going to have enough wood to heat the house all winter"

Al, the wood is beautiful. We are getting ready to load our oak logs into the "holder" for winter - after splitting them, of course.

Since it's almost 100 degrees outside, I got into the getting ready for winter mood, and canned 36 pints of blackberry jam.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #8396
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
You could always take 10 or 20 litres of sacramental wine to the reunion and watch what happens. I will send you a virtual carboy of dry red.
I am really on the fence on this one. I have a funny feeling there will be an alternate reunion location plotted by our class.
I have located and connected (via FB) with 26/99 classmates so far. The other women are feeding me names of classmates they still have contact with. I am in turn feeding this info to the reunion organizer, who is looking at several years of classes. I have chatted with several of the women who were in classes with me. All in all I'm having fun with the "search out and tag" mission.

Today was a lazy rainy day. Mr B is cranking away at the textbook for the easiest of his 4 classes, starting on Tuesday. He commented that he was surprised at how much studying tired him out mentally. I recommended short naps in the recliner in between study sessions to freshen his mind.
Result? Zzzzzzzzzzz
Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #8397
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today is my big 5-0. I'm five years and one day away from the planned retirement day (not that I'm counting or anything)
Old 08-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #8398
Give me a forum ...

Happy birthday Lisa....

Today a couple of escapees from my neighbor's backyard neighbors came by to say hello.

Methinks they'll be here until their momma gets home....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02496.jpg (481.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02497.jpg (429.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #8399
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks bbbamI! Good thing those convicts found your yard instead of the street out front. They're adorable!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Today is my big 5-0. I'm five years and one day away from the planned retirement day (not that I'm counting or anything)
Have a good one, and party on! Not sure when my "day" will come, but hopefully by the time I reach "the big 5-0" it will be visible in the horizon.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Closed Thread