Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #8401
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Have a good one, and party on! Not sure when my "day" will come, but hopefully by the time I reach "the big 5-0" it will be visible in the horizon.
Thanks Ziggy. There will be no partying tonight...prolly will be in bed and asleep by 8pm. We're training for a 100-mile bike race so each morning starts at 5am for a long ride or some work in the gym...

...now this weekend is another story. Have dinner reservations, show tickets to Jersey Boys and a brand new slinky dress; although my version of slinky and the average Vegas female's version of slinky is VERY different.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #8402

Bought my annual supply of roasted Hatch (New Mexico) chiles. They go in the freezer and come out all year long - much tastier than the canned variety.

Sent out a consulting proposal for a 6-month gig (one day a week). Not sure they have the budget to go through with it...we'll see.

Exchanged the empty propane tank so I can grill the salmon I bought for dinner.

Mailed DD's birthday card - she's now old enough so I got her something adult and silly which was a lot of fun. Got first e-mail from DS who is studying in Hong Kong for the fall semester.

Battled (?) DH over where to put the printer - he wants it out of his space and so was putting it in the guest room. I do NOT want it in the guest room, so now I have 2 weeks to buy office furniture for the living room (no point in having a formal living room, might as well put the space to good use).

And now it's after 5 :-)

Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #8403
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Today is my big 5-0. I'm five years and one day away from the planned retirement day (not that I'm counting or anything)
Happy 5-0. I had mine long long time ago I don't even remember when was it.

Anyway, here are additional events to extend your birthday celebration.

Henderson's Pacific Islands Festival

http://www.groupon.com/deals/wine-walks-las-vegas?c=dnb&p=7
Old 08-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #8404
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fixed my dishwasher. It was making the most godawful groaning noise and I thought the main pump filter was plugged, but no joy there. Turned out that the water inlet screen was plugged with tiny rust particles. The water only enters for a set amount of time and it wasn't getting enough water to keep the pump from cavitating, which was the source of the groaning noise.

I'm earnin' my keep.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #8405
Administrator

The smoke was so thick this morning from the bog fire (now 2300 acres, in Bayou Sauvage over in eastern New Orleans), that my eyes stung and it was hard to breath. It was so thick and brown that it was hard to see much further than across the street. So, after lunch we drove from our homes in a western suburb of New Orleans, to Baton Rouge (about 50 miles west) just to get away from it.

Meanwhile, the mayor got together with the governor and a state of emergency was declared. The EPA said the levels of smoke were dangerous for all people, not just the young/old/sick. The National Guard was called in and started dumping water on it by air, but only 500 gallons at a time so it won't extinguish the fire. It is hoped to lessen the smoke.

Guess the wind shifted because it is less, now. My eyes still sting. If it gets that bad again, I think we will go on a spontaneous road trip for a few days.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #8406
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I saw the NO smoke situation on tonight's national news. Nasty.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #8407
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I saw the NO smoke situation on tonight's national news. Nasty.
My eyes feel like they have cinders in them, and I think the smoke is starting to make me feel sick. (Sniff sniff!! poor me! ) If things aren't better tomorrow, we might go on a spur-of-the-moment road trip. Luckily nothing is burning but Bayou Sauvage, so no buildings have burned.

It was about as heavy as in the photo of it below (from a news website), or a little heavier - - we couldn't tell if there were even clouds in the sky until we got to Gonzales, Louisiana (almost to Baton Rouge). Turns out there were beautiful blue skies and sunshine once we got out of the plume.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-30+sheraton+2.jpg (9.8 KB, 3 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #8408
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It was about as heavy as in the photo of it below (from a news website), or a little heavier - - we couldn't tell if there were even clouds in the sky until we got to Gonzales, Louisiana (almost to Baton Rouge). Turns out there were beautiful blue skies and sunshine once we got out of the plume.
My goodness, that looks like Beijing!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #8409
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My goodness, that looks like Beijing!
Wow, sounds like Beijing is a potential ER location that some of us might prefer to cross off our lists for good!

I lived in Southern California for six years, and the smog there was just annoying. This was a lot worse, to me anyway, and harder to breathe.

I just talked to F. on the phone again, and we confirmed with each other that if it is as bad tomorrow as today, we'll leave town just to play it safe. If it is lighter, like it was on Sunday and Monday, we'll stay. We aren't sure we can completely trust our local officials to tell us to leave when we should so that responsibility is ours.

Tonight the evening wind shift has taken the plume away from our location, though it is expected back in the morning. He went outside just now and said he could see the stars! I'm not as brave.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #8410
Give me a forum ...

We celebrated Mr B's 60th birthday today. He was saying things about feeling old all week, so I thought I would get him out and about, away from the books, and have some fun. We went to Applebee's and used a Buy 1 Entree - Get 1 Free birthday coupon for 2 steak with parmesan shrimp topping meals. Yummy!
Then I took him shopping for new sneakers and jeans at a local sports store. I told him to ignore prices (my treat) and get a good pair of footwear instead of the usual bargain junk from the store that begins with the letter W.
He settled on a nice pair of black Nikes with really good sole tread, and a pair of Levi's jeans. He was smiling after the shopping expedition.
He has class tonight, so I am killing time surfing and listening to music. I baked him some brownies, which he will see on the stovetop when he gets home. I'll freeze the batch so we don't eat them all up in a week.
I know this food is not exactly the healthiest fare, but it is his birthday after all. Back to behaving tomorrow...
Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #8411
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
We celebrated Mr B's 60th birthday today. He was saying things about feeling old all week, so I thought I would get him out and about, away from the books, and have some fun. We went to Applebee's and used a Buy 1 Entree - Get 1 Free birthday coupon for 2 steak with parmesan shrimp topping meals. Yummy!
Did you ask the waiter for the senior citizen's discount?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #8412
Give me a forum ...

www.heyitsfree.com

lists a lot of birthday freebies, I'm going to have to plan my upcoming day.

The weather has been spectacular recently, sunny and cool. Yesterday we drove somewhere and read and knitted (respectively) outside:

BeachReading.jpg

62 in the living room this morning, so we'll have the first fire of the season.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #8413

Well, I was going to go for a motorcycle ride after mowing the lawn, but since it's pouring rain I'm not doing either.

So I'm here, reading articles about photography and Photoshop, and desperately trying to ignore the 42 oz. bag of peanut M&M's on the kitchen counter. (I couldn't help it. The bag jumped off the shelf and into the grocery cart by itself.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M&Ms_09-01-11_4497.jpg (83.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #8414
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The bag jumped off the shelf and into the grocery cart by itself.
Wow...that happens to me as well. ...but it's always chocolate chip cookies.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #8415
Give me a forum ...

Went to the first ballgame I've attended in years. Watched the Phillies beat the Reds, and was VERY impressed with the Phillies. A great team, and I'll be very surprised if they don't end the season at the top of the league.

Great seat, but can't really take sitting in the hot sun like I used to.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #8416
Administrator

It rained today, and the smoke is gone! No more air quality alerts and I can breathe. A lot of rain and flooding is predicted for the weekend, and the first 3"-5" will extinguish the fire.

Hope this rain gets to Texas and other drought striken states, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #8417
Give me a forum ...

Helped DH complete some plumbing work today....mostly by staying out of his way, not asking questions and keeping my mouth shut. (only took me 34 years to learn that...)

So after..............................was all over, I congratulated him on a job well done.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #8418
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Helped DH complete some plumbing work today....mostly by staying out of his way, not asking questions and keeping my mouth shut. (only took me 34 years to learn that...)

So after..............................was all over, I congratulated him on a job well done.

How often do you have to empty the bucket under the sink, now?....
Old 09-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #8419
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
How often do you have to empty the bucket under the sink, now?....
Shhhhhhh....I'm keepin' my mouth shut about that one too........
Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #8420

My son and I powerwashed the front and sides of the house, tomorrow I will do the back and the patio.

Closed Thread