what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. Gotta plan ahead.

Interesting reading, if you can get past the whole "Singularity: Happy End Times" eschatology:
Yeah, I read Kurzweill's The Singularity is Near. Fascinating concepts but I suspect wildly optimistic about how soon. If we can't even figure out cancer or whether low carb high fat or high carb low fat is good for you the idea that we will soon conquer aging seems a non-starter - not in my lifetime, notwithstanding exponential improvements in biotech.

Enjoying my 64th birthday. :)
Call work and tell them you're not coming in today. Nobody should have to work on their birthday. :D

That song is great. I remember hearing it when I was a teenager, thinking -- 64? Man, that's old. Almost dead. Now, of course, I think, 64 - just getting started, so much to look forward to ...

Call work and tell them you're not coming in today. Nobody should have to work on their birthday. :D

That song is great. I remember hearing it when I was a teenager, thinking -- 64? Man, that's old. Almost dead. Now, of course, I think, 64 - just getting started, so much to look forward to ...

I felt exactly the same way when the song came out. I thought it was hilarious. Looking online for the year, I guess that was 1967 so I was a young thing just nineteen years old.

Not sure yet what I think of it now that I am here. Better than the alternative, that's for sure.

Happy Birthday W2R, and many more!

Reactions: W2R
0830 for a temporary crown at the dentist's office, DW wants to go shopping for a (much-needed) new couch later today.

Weather is perfect for a motorcycle ride. (sigh)

+1!

Still holding off on taking that SS? :)

Thanks, Bestwifeever and everybody. As for SS, I am still on the fence but holding off for now... maybe I'll take it when I apply for Medicare early next year, or maybe when I'm 70. Just dunno.

[Whispering] Right now I'm making an audio recording of Lena's bowflex session. It's funny, but there is probably no chance she'll let me post it.

Today I am banished to the barn. Ms G is hosting the cutesy girl day, lunch and 3 different favored margaritas. My only required j*b today is to make a coop for her 8 new Guinea fowl keets(babies). I will park cars also, so when they leave, they go straight out the gate. Not to worry most of them don't have to drive on public roads to get home. They should get here around 11, so I get to have a party with me and the dogs. The barn is stocked with food and cold ones, Ms G said she will made me a plate if I come to the back door later. My WiFi makes out to the barn so I have Pandora and ER to keep me company. I can also listen to Sirius radio from the GMC, just have to roll it out to get a signal.

Today I am banished to the barn. Ms G is hosting the cutesy girl day, lunch and 3 different favored margaritas. My only required j*b today is to make a coop for her 8 new Guinea fowl keets(babies). I will park cars also, so when they leave, they go straight out the gate. Not to worry most of them don't have to drive on public roads to get home. They should get here around 11, so I get to have a party with me and the dogs. The barn is stocked with food and cold ones, Ms G said she will made me a plate if I come to the back door later. My WiFi makes out to the barn so I have Pandora and ER to keep me company. I can also listen to Sirius radio from the GMC, just have to roll it out to get a signal.

Wow! What a good husband you are to do all that for your wife while she is having so much fun drinking and partying with the girls. When I was married, I couldn't even get my (now) ex to take out the trash. :D

Happy Birthday W2R! :flowers:

This morning I fed the kitties...we have some land that is now a kitty refuge; people had dumped their animals nearby. We caught them (22) about 2 years ago. The spay & neuter center had a special on feral cats, so we had them all fixed, and returned them to the land. They really help with the rat population.

Yesterday was tough as I sang in the choir for the memorial service of the husband of another choir member. Especially tough as he committed suicide by shooting himself in their home while she was out. As the choir sits in the front of the church, we could see just how distraught his daughter and (2nd) wife (he was a widower) were.

After a quick change of clothes I headed downtown to serve dinner to about 200 homeless folks, something I do as a volunteer once every month or two.

Today doesn't feel too productive - after my normal ~2 mile walk, I did the weekly fish/lily pond maintenance. The algae is FINALLY getting a bit better under control (I added several more bunches of anti-algae plants last week which I guess must have helped it turn the corner). I think I saw a baby goldfish but not 100% sure. Just spent about an hour cleaning up my mess of open documents and browser tabs & windows on my computer, clearing the caches, and rebooting - hadn't rebooted the poor thing in nearly a month and it was getting a little cranky.

Think I'll head outside with a book and a beer to enjoy the pond before cooking a big pot of kale, sausage, and bean soup for dinner (don't expect DS to be dining with us on Friday evening so it's a good time to use up the kale from the CSA box)

Think I'll head outside with a book and a beer to enjoy the pond before cooking a big pot of kale, sausage, and bean soup for dinner (don't expect DS to be dining with us on Friday evening so it's a good time to use up the kale from the CSA box)
Update - DS did show up unexpectedly for dinner and actually ate a bowl of aforementioned soup with two of his least favorite foods - green stuff and beans. He said he was hungry :D

I've been away for a few days, but now I have some quiet time to catch up while our daughter's [-]cramming[/-] loading up her seabag.

Here's the daily summary of the last 96 hours: surfing/taekwondo-surfing-surfing-packing. While I was [-]napping[/-] taking care of other business she was making the usual runarounds-- shopping, local grindz, Skyping with friends, and driving a couple hundred miles around the island.

Today our regular break (White Plains Beach) was jammed for the military competition. Tomorrow we're going surfing, and then she's going to Bangor for her Navy ROTC submarine training "cruise".

Just a spinal and conscious sedation... Ah, but does it count as ME being conscious if that branch of my memory has been pruned from the sum of my current experience? Or was that Me 1.0, different from the Me 1.1 now posting?
Having had this discussion many times in bars (and many more times after [-]blackouts[/-] hangovers), it still counts as you. Even though every cell in your body has been killed off or replaced since your v1.0 was born...

I guess it does look a bit like a "black dot"?
We looked at it several times through our eclipse sunglasses, and it indeed looks like a black dot. Sort of like a grain of sand moving across the sun. Let's just say that I'm a lot more impressed with these planetary events than my spouse is, but she's promised to give it one more try next time.

I'll come up with something better for the next Venus transit, and will post here...
I've put it on my calendar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom