Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #8421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I put the 2nd coat of paint on the walls in 1 corner of my living room. Tomorrow I will remove the plastic sheeting from the fireplace, move it over, move some furniture, and do the next corner. I didn't want to disrupt the entire room, so doing small sections at a time w*rks well. I am meticulously taping off all wood trim and windows as I go. That blue painter's tape is fabulous stuff, worth every penny.

Mr B and I went shopping for food supplies we were low on. We got canned tomatoes, paste, pasta, feta cheese, tortellini. Then we hit the Amish store for cold cuts and cheese for the next month (all divvied up and in the deep freezer), and then...he hit the Wonder Bread outlet store. I stayed outside in the car.

He went crazy in that store, getting all sorts of baked goodies to munch on while he studies. Argh! He's acting like a typical college student, spending long hours at the books and eating junk food. Martians!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #8422
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did three oil changes Wednesday and went over my 98 explorer prior to winter (needs tires and a new body) had some impromptu visitors in the afternoon. Good time. Thursday canned a bushel of tomatoes and in the afternoon worked on my TV antenna array. Picked up 28 digital stations and did some combining experiments. Still not happy with that. Wish I could find a multiple input preamp.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #8423
Give me a forum ...

Jenny went skydiving (tethered to someone else) and highly recommends it:

Skydiving.jpg

Anyone else done this?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #8424
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Attachment 12586

Anyone else done this?
Many times -- never "tethered" to anyone else, though.

It is an experience that one will remember forever.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #8425
Give me a forum ...

DW is a 4th grade teacher. Today I helped her get her classroom all set up for the coming year. Lots of piddly little jobs to be done at the last minute. If I'd only know as a kid how much work went in to my education.....
Old 09-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #8426
Administrator

Al, I am one of those chickens (cluck cluck!) who would never jump out of a perfectly good airplane...

Slept late, went to the gym, had lunch, keeping an eye on the drizzle (at present) that is supposed to end up giving us a foot or two of rain by Sunday night. But so far, just another great day of retirement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #8427

Starting my 6th month of retirement, and just loving it. R & R, and more R & R after that! And even more R & R tomorrow, and.....

Each morning I give thanks for not needing to fight the rush hour traffic; the absence of reporting deadlines, and crisis du jour meetings with lengthy to-do lists after that. And the evening commute.

Today I had a relaxing morning coffee, checked the stock market ( down 200+ points ), did couple trades closing out some options positions, read email, and the news. DW went out to do some grocery shopping.

We will have a light lunch when she returns, and then it's time for a nap!
Tonight our daughter comes in from San Francisco to spend the Labor Day weekend with us, we'll probably go to the lake on Saturday.

Life is good.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #8428
Give me a forum ...

Just got back home from running some errands.

On one trip I went to Kohls to buy some jeans and shoes. Fortunately, I found what I needed. Did see some cute blouses, but after trying the jeans on and one blouse, I had worked myself into a lather. ...it's so hot and trying clothes on is my least favorite thing to do. My hair was a mess. Thankfully I had a hair band in my purse and I wrestled my hair into a pony tail.

Plumbing yesterday....shopping today.

I need a beer.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #8429
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Al, I am one of those chickens (cluck cluck!) who would never jump out of a perfectly good airplane...

Slept late, went to the gym, had lunch, keeping an eye on the drizzle (at present) that is supposed to end up giving us a foot or two of rain by Sunday night. But so far, just another great day of retirement.
So am I, now that I am mortal.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #8430
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have some spare feathers if you need some. I'm in the same frame of mind as far as skydiving goes.

As of 5 minutes ago, my freshly painted corner is all back in order. Mr B was studying and doing homew*rk in the back room all afternoon.

We are headed to a local ethnic club to help bus tables and have a cold beer for a nice study break for him.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #8431

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Plumbing yesterday....shopping today.

I need a beer.
Today, I went shopping for a pressure regulator valve to replace the defective unit at home. It is not available at the Home Depot or Lowes and after a internet search, found a plumbing supply near the Strip that carries it.

Plumbing tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #8432

Quote:

Anyone else done this?
I made a couple of static line jumps over 30 years ago, great experience but haven't had the urge to jump again. On my second jump, the wind direction changed after I was dropped and ended up over a mile from where I should have been in the middle of a corn field. Corn was so high, I couldn't see where I was headed but could hear the loud speaker at the drop zone so just headed for the noise.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #8433
Give me a forum ...

Went to an unavoidable dinner last night. Some big talkers including a citrus farming magnate who seemed very disapproving of retirement ("whaddya do all day?"). He's 65, and says it will take him eight years to extricate himself from the job since there are so many who depend on him. I suggested he take a year off to know what he's missing before it's too late.

The goodbye ritual took about an hour.

Today I split and stacked the 12th truckload of firewood, about 2.4 cords so far. I'm getting tired of it, but it's money in the bank.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #8434
Moderator Emeritus

I got calls from columnists at both Army & Navy Times at Military Times. The first wanted some quotes for an article on asset allocation, and the second was reviewing the book for another article about investing during a recession.

Quote:
Anyone else done this?
Personally, I'd feel a lot safer using a parachute...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #8435
Dryer sheet wannabe

It has now been 6 weeks into retirement and I am begining to adjust. I still need to remind myself that I don't have to go to work or do anything I don't want to do. I've never had such a thing before. I've been busy reseaching travel and joining travel clubs. I don't have a traveling companion, so maybe I can find someone later. My 1st trip will be to Kauai (9/20-9/21) because I had promised myself a ride in one of those helicopters. Yesterday, I got a smartphone. I've never had a cell phone before. I didn't want one before since I was tethered to my work phone and easily reached at home. It seems like a good idea to have one for travel. I can barely focus now after spending 2 days learning how to use it and downloading apps. I got a revocable trust done, too. Now I feel prepared to start a new life. More later.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #8436
Give me a forum ...

August is incredibly slow in Ebay land so today I spent revving up for the fall which is usually very busy . I photographed , cropped and put together 30 listings while I baked a turkey breast ,cut up cantaloupes ,brewed coffee and did two loads of laundry . All that multi tasking made me feel like I was back at work .
Old 09-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #8437

Quote:

Attachment 12586

Anyone else done this?
Did it once. In the 70's when newbies jumped with a static line that opened the chute. It was a great time until I landed. The landing was a little rough - I forgot to face the wind and hit the ground going forward around 30mph.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #8438
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A couple of hours ago my desktop computer suddenly decided to reboot. I suspected a momentary power fluctuation and shrugged it off. About 15 minutes later, another reboot. I checked my connections and noticed the power light on the power strip was flickering - and making a faint crackling noise.

I unplugged it and when I touched the on/off rocker switch, it fell off into my hand. Of course I had to pull my roll top desk away from the wall to get to all the wires and replace the strip with a new one. 20 minutes late the job was done and I'd worked up a sweat - not because I'd worked that hard, because the temp in the house was going up. Outside temp 102, inside temp 82 and rising.

Yep, the AC stopped working - the compressor isn't running. The unit is all of 13 months old and has performed flawlessly through this miserable heat (today is the 81st day of 100 or more beginning on April 8). Of course it would crap out in the middle of a holiday weekend...

Thankfully we have a separate AC unit in the former screened porch we converted into a playroom for the grandkids. Can't wait for DW to get home and see her reaction. We had plans for a family get-together here tomorrow. I don't think so...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #8439
Administrator

How miserable, REW! Maybe your family can meet at a local restaurant tomorrow.

Sounds like the two of you will be camping out in the former screened porch, for the time being...

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #8440
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, the AC stopped working - the compressor isn't running. The unit is all of 13 months old and has performed flawlessly through this miserable heat (today is the 81st day of 100 or more beginning on April 8). Of course it would crap out in the middle of a holiday weekend...
Blown compressor fuse? I keep a couple of spares around, just because the pesky things tend to fail on the hottest days. (And yes, that is actually what I'd expect. Hotter ambient temps lower the current needed to blow the fusible link.)