Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #8441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Blown compressor fuse? I keep a couple of spares around, just because the pesky things tend to fail on the hottest days. (And yes, that is actually what I'd expect. Hotter ambient temps lower the current needed to blow the fusible link.)
Thanks, worth a try...

I checked the two fuses located in the fuse box on the wall next to the outside unit. Both still conduct dc voltage from a battery which indicates (I think) both are still good. Are these the compressor fuse you mention or should I be looking somewhere else?

Although rare, it is possible to read something on this forum you don't agree with and simply move on with your life

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #8442
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo

Thanks, worth a try...

I checked the two fuses located in the fuse box on the wall next to the outside unit. Both still conduct dc voltage from a battery which indicates (I think) both are still good. Are these the compressor fuse you mention or should I be looking somewhere else?
Yup, those are the ones. Sounds from your test that the fuses are good, though. My next step would be to call the HVAC guy. I know my limits...

Old 09-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #8443

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Yup, those are the ones. Sounds from your test that the fuses are good, though. My next step would be to call the HVAC guy. I know my limits...
Me too, and I'm on the ragged edge. I'm waiting for a call back from the AC guy.

Although rare, it is possible to read something on this forum you don't agree with and simply move on with your life

Old 09-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #8444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Yep, the AC stopped working - the compressor isn't running. The unit is all of 13 months old and has performed flawlessly through this miserable heat (today is the 81st day of 100 or more beginning on April 8). Of course it would crap out in the middle of a holiday weekend...

I will bet that your unit froze up do to this incredible heat . We had it happen twice this summer after working flawlessly . We turn it off and call the ac guy . By the time he comes the unit has defrosted and working perfectly .The one thing they told me is check the filters and change them more frequently in the summer .Good Luck !
Old 09-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #8445
Give me a forum ...

We just returned from our local comedy club . It was improv night and we laughed until it hurt.On Sunday tickets are $8.00 so a great deal. Of course there is a two drink minimum but it is still a good time .
Old 09-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #8446
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I split another truckload of firewood, and we went on a bike ride. But this splitting wood every day plus other exercise has caught up with me, and I really felt my age last night, plus about 15 years. So today I am going to take a day off.

These guys went to the beach for the labor day weekend:

Old 09-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #8447
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saturday night we attended my DH's Junior High School reunion (9th grade 1970). It was held at a lovely country club and the food was good and there was even live music which was a treat. DH and his buddies told a lot of stories about their teenage pranks and their favorite teachers. Many of these people later went to our high school but we had a very large class and I didn't know most of them so I hung around with the spouses.

DH was the only one in the group who has retired. This was the first time he's worn socks all summer.

Most interesting occupation of a classmate - Equine Dentist. How do you teach the horses to floss?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #8448

13 miles this morning, a slow training run. Just to check that I'm in reasonable shape for a half-marathon later this month. Did better than I expected, so that's a relief.
DW went out with me and did a 7 mile walk, since she's going to do a 10K walk at the same event. This will be her first organized athletic event in mumblety-some years, and I'm thrilled that she's excited about it.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #8449
Give me a forum ...

I finished getting, splitting and stacking the wood that my neighbor gave me. It took two weeks and 15 loads. I'm glad to be done.

Before:

After:

Old 09-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #8450

Uh, Al...you missed a few pieces.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #8451
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Uh, Al...you missed a few pieces.
Right. Those last ones just would have taken too much effort to split.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #8452

Back from about a month of ignoring the world. NORDO, NOTV, NOPAPER.

Highly recommended.
Quick scan; mayhems, disasters, politics as usual. Anotherwords SOS. Did not miss anything.

My nearby skating rink is re-opening tomorrow. Something fun useful to do.

Looking at Al's woodpile, I'll get an order in and fill up the oil tank.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #8453

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Jenny went skydiving (tethered to someone else) and highly recommends it:

Attachment 12586

Anyone else done this?
No did not.

I used to get paid to jump out of perfectly good airplanes.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #8454
Recycles dryer sheets

I baked a cake today. While I was frosting it the top layer split and fell apart. I have never had that happen before. While I was working on the cake I accidentally melted a piece if vintage Tupperware (the expensive stuff not the cheap plastic containers I buy these days). Guess it is not my day to be in the kitchen. I decided it was time to surf the net instead On the other hand, to assuage my frustration I ate a really big piece of the broken cake and it was delicious.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #8455
Give me a forum ...

It's time to rotate the tires, and I have to decide whether to do it myself or have it done free at Costco. The former involves about 30 minutes of work, the latter about 1.5 hours of waiting (plus driving).

BTW, it's easy to rotate tires without jackstands, and no sites on the Internet mention this. Just replace one wheel with the spare, then move the tires successively to their new locations, then replace the spare. Five jackings required.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #8456
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's time to rotate the tires, and I have to decide whether to do it myself or have it done free at Costco. The former involves about 30 minutes of work, the latter about 1.5 hours of waiting (plus driving).

BTW, it's easy to rotate tires without jackstands, and no sites on the Internet mention this. Just replace one wheel with the spare, then move the tires successively to their new locations, then replace the spare. Five jackings required.
What a PITA! If it were me, I'd go to Costco and fool around for an hour and a half instead. We don't have Costco, but from what I have read on the board it sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to kill an hour there (especially if you take an e-reader). Think of the people watching opportunities!
5/17/2018: Retired a second time, this time from my volunteer Admin duties. After 10 years of being on the team, and 40,000+ posts, the time just seemed right. It has been such fun to work with all of our Mods and Admins and I plan to stick around as a regular member.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #8457

Quote:
Me too, and I'm on the ragged edge. I'm waiting for a call back from the AC guy.
Follow-up:

It appears the problem was a clogged drain line. If condensation doesn't drain adequately and backs up in the drain system, the unit has a sensor that cuts off the compressor. More new-fangled technology...

The good news is with a little Liquid Plumber the system is working fine and the service call was under warranty.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #8458
Administrator

Quote:
That's the way I've always done it. Gives me a chance to look at the brakes while I'm at it.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #8459
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Follow-up:

It appears the problem was a clogged drain line. If condensation doesn't drain adequately and backs up in the drain system, the unit has a sensor that cuts off the compressor. More new-fangled technology...

The good news is with a little Liquid Plumber the system is working fine and the service call was under warranty.
Great! That's about the least painful call to an HVAC man that I've ever heard of.
5/17/2018: Retired a second time, this time from my volunteer Admin duties. After 10 years of being on the team, and 40,000+ posts, the time just seemed right. It has been such fun to work with all of our Mods and Admins and I plan to stick around as a regular member.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #8460

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
On the other hand, to assuage my frustration I ate a really big piece of the broken cake and it was delicious.
The broken cookie rule also applies to broken cake. Once broken the item no longer contains calories, fat or carbs. The rule also extends to the attached frosting.

But I bet you already knew this.