Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #8481
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post

We parked for free in the employee lot (instead of $20 for paved parking) and we rented low lawn chairs for $5 each. Pavilion seats for this event were $207 (OMG, who pays that much!!) and lawn tickets were about $45. Beer, food and soft drinks are very expensive at these things but we didn't buy anything so it was a nice evening for the price of the chair rentals.

I looked into seeing Elton in Tampa when he was here .The seats were $350 and not even good seats . The good seats were $450 and I briefly considered it . I would love to hear him in concert . You got a great deal.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #8482
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I looked into seeing Elton in Tampa when he was here .The seats were $350 and not even good seats . The good seats were $450 and I briefly considered it . I would love to hear him in concert . You got a great deal.
We've seen Elton John in concert a number of times. One of the best shows was in a park in London where he was on stage alone with just a piano. Great night and very different than his more usual flamboyant style.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #8483
Dryer sheet aficionado

Got up, opened the paper, checked the Obit pictures and names. I wasn't listed. Another good day!

Had to go get blood drawn and fill the bottle for an upcoming annual physical. The worst part is the 12 hour fast before hand. DW and I went for a bagel and coffee afterward and enjoyed them on the front porch under the umbrella.

The cast came off on Wed, and the doc says the ankle is doing okay. It will be nice to be able to get in the shower after 6 weeks, but looking at the thing makes me nauseous.

The weekend will be wine club pickups and a wine festival on Sunday.

Cheers!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #8484
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I did a moonlight paddle last night. We paddled down stream on a small river for about an hour starting at sunset, had pizza and ice cream with local outdoor club then paddled back upstream under the bright full moon, which was not covered by clouds.

It was wonderful to see all the herons and muskrats on the way down and to hear all the insects singing on the way back. It is nice to get outside at night - all too easy to get sucked in by one of the tubes.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #8485
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
DW and I did a moonlight paddle last night. We paddled down stream on a small river for about an hour starting at sunset, had pizza and ice cream with local outdoor club then paddled back upstream under the bright full moon, which was not covered by clouds.

It was wonderful to see all the herons and muskrats on the way down and to hear all the insects singing on the way back. It is nice to get outside at night - all too easy to get sucked in by one of the tubes.

That sounds magical...
Old 09-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #8486

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

We did a moonlight paddle a couple weeks ago - great experience! We heard some hooting owls and also saw the larvae of lightning bugs along the edges of the water glowing in the dark. Very magical, cool experience.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #8487
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That's what my Blackberry is for. I'm not such a good photographer that I need f/8 stops.
Most of the pics I post here are taken with my lowly cell phone camera. I do own a very nice digital camera. I reserve using that for bona fide photo-taking adventures. I am due to go cruising in the Stang when the tree leaves change colors.

Today...I caught up on laundry, dishwasher empty/refill, and reading the forum while Mr B studied his Intermediate Accounting text and did a big chunk of homew*rk due this week. I am now his official mathematical consultant. He remembers a lot of basic mathematics and some algebra, but gets stuck every once in a while. It was very interesting challenge for me to teach an Accountant how to convert decimal numbers to binary. He is self taught on operating software programs and a real ace at salvaging virus infected computers. He had never encountered that type of number system conversion exercise before.

I made a huge pot of goulash (elbow macaroni and seasoned tomato sauce with meat and green peppers) for our midday supper. I froze some 1 person portions for him to microwave for himself if I am out and about when he gets the marathon StudyBug hungry attack.
Man cannot live by Ring Dings and potato chips alone.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #8488

I have been camped out a local Residence Inn using my points for the past 2 nights as my air conditioner had to be pulled out and sheet rock replaced due to a mold problem in the garage. Should have a new A/C by sometime Tuesday. I live is S. Florida so the weather is still hot and humid.
'
Old 09-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #8489
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
We did a moonlight paddle a couple weeks ago - great experience! We heard some hooting owls and also saw the larvae of lightning bugs along the edges of the water glowing in the dark. Very magical, cool experience.
Cool! There is a lotta neat stuff going on outside our windows every night.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #8490
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Have been running into brick walls with cell phone, health insurance, IRA, PayPal. Two days of migraines (which had not had for years).
Old 09-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #8491

Today Mowed lawn did a few odd jobs and rested up from yesterday. My cousin and I went to the Northern nationals nostalgia race yesterday at Cayuga drag strip. Was there from 11am to 10 pm and we were treated to a near continuous show that included old altereds, old style fuel funny car, modern pro mods, a top fuel car testing and a lot of very fast bikes and sleds. A really good time. I think I have awakened another nitro addict.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #8492
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We went to a home improvement show -- the kinda thing where contractors setup their sales booths. Admission was $9.50, but I printed $1 discount coupons off the website. As we were nearing the entrance I was approached by a gentleman who asked me if I would like two free tickets. I said "sure". Asked him where he got them. His son works for the place that organizes these shows and he gets free tickets.

As we entered the building we saw two tables set up with a sign saying something like "free tickets" and they were being handed out to anyone who walked up -- exactly the same as I was just handed. Here's the thing: there were 40 - 50 people lined up at the ticket booth paying $9.50 for a paid ticket -- 20 feet away from two people handing out free tickets to anybody who came within five feet of them! Go figure. I bet those were the people the contractors wanted to talk to.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #8493
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finished researching the new road bike that I want. Settled on a Cannondale SuperSix 5 105. Now just have to go to the local dealer and see how much under list I can get a 2011 for!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #8494

Woke up late this morning. Checked the stocks as usual and saw that the Dow is down another 300 points and everything is red. I thought I had a possible buying opportunities until I realized it is Sunday and not Monday. What I saw was Friday's stock closing.

Then, we went to see Polynesian show at downtown Henderson.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #8495
Give me a forum ...

I mowed the front lawn, just in time before rain and/or thunderstorms are predicted hit our area today. Mr B went to class after studying all morning.
I checked my 2 year old grapevines in the outdoor garden. They are full of little bunches of grapes turning red and blue like crazy. I tasted a few - on the semi-sweet side so they still need a little more ripening time. They were advertised as seedless table grapes at the online nursery site, but sure enough, there were 1 or 2 teeny tiny seeds in each of them. Oh well...close enough. I am just happy that they survived the harsh winters here.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #8496
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A huge hawk flew into our closed sliding glass door. He was OK and flew away. It was fun because I saw the whole thing, he flew straight at me, and just got bigger and bigger, as in a cartoon, and then bam. I don't know what he was thinking.
Thought you were a mouse.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #8497

Our rural development has a 1/4 acre pond that has been neglected for a few years- water was fine but weeds and small trees had grown up head high completely surrounding it and covering the gravel parking area. Spent a day last week with the brush hog and mowed everything down so we can get to it. Spent an hour this afternoon with my radio control sailboat until the winds died completely. There aren't any fish in the pond now but we're thinking about taking up a collection to stock it with some bass or blue gill or both. There are 33 lots (4-10 acres) in our development and about 1/2 are sold but only 3 houses have been built, including ours. Saw a Green Heron at the pond on Saturday, one Canadian Goose there today while I sailed. Have to do some checking on fish prices. Got a couple of pictures of the Heron on Saturday.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #8498
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
.........Saw a Green Heron at the pond on Saturday, one Canadian Goose there today while I sailed. Have to do some checking on fish prices. Got a couple of pictures of the Heron on Saturday.
Cool! A green heron just showed up on our pond, too, in the last couple of weeks. I think that it is feasting on fat little pollywogs.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #8499
Give me a forum ...

Hi from Hawthorne, NV. Our blog is live, although a few days behind. Watch for updates:

Utah Car/Bike Trip
Old 09-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #8500
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Cool....it sounds like a great night Sue.

-------------------------------

DH took a nice long cruise this morning on the bike. While he was out, he bought two bottles of Texas Sherry. It's a bit sweet with a taste of pecans and a hint of vintage whiskey. Mmmmm, mmmmm...so good.

He also bought a bottle of Gentleman Jack, my all time fave. Oh yeah, let the good times roll.

Here's a pic of the bottle of sherry on my table....one darn good thing about TX.
Add the banana pudding, a couple spoons, and ya got youself an instant party.....

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Closed Thread