what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't you still use the Have-a-heart trap? Why go to the rat trap?

+1

Even though squirrels are a PITA, you have to admire their ingenuity and perseverance. DW battled them for two summers, no matter what she did they always found a way to get to the bird seed.

I have a this bird feeder. Works for doves and large nasty birds.

Heritage Farms Bird's Choice Squirrel Proof Feeder
The Heritage Farms Bird's Choice Squirrel Proof Feeder features a weight sensitive metal perch that closes access to the seed tray when squirrels attempt to feed. The attractive spring operated perch is adjustable to allow or exclude large, heavy birds as well as squirrels. A seed baffle design reduces wasted seed and helps keep the feeder area clean. The reservoir has a large 6 quart capacity and the clear plastic reservoir windows make the seed level visible at all times. The feeder's TopLoc feature holds the top open when filling, allowing you to replenish seed one-handed. The feeder has a durable speckled-green powder-coated steel construction that will last for years to come. This feeder may be hung with the included 13" bracket hanger, pole mounted on a 0.75" to 1.75" diameter pole, or placed on a 4" x 4" post using the included adapter. Five year guarantee.

Can't you still use the Have-a-heart trap? Why go to the rat trap?

+1

Even though squirrels are a PITA, you have to admire their ingenuity and perseverance. DW battled them for two summers, no matter what she did they always found a way to get to the bird seed.

Yeah, I hear you. We still can but DW was so pi**ed that the varmint chewed through the screen and was in the house that her typical compassion faded. Usually I would be the neanderthal and she would be the compassionate one. Over 30 years of marriage I've learned to pick my battles and I'm not going to fight her on this when she is so incensed. A couple less red squirrels in the world won't make a difference but I'll appeal to her once she calms down. It has been entertaining to watch though.

Today was day 3 of 4 for being instructor for the local council Cub Scouts' BB gun range. We have about 50 boys. We finish by 11 am before the heat index gets above 100 F.

Today was day 3 of 4 for being instructor for the local council Cub Scouts' BB gun range. We have about 50 boys. We finish by 11 am before the heat index gets above 100 F.

Send them over to my place for their training- its a lot cooler and they can let loose on my two pesky red squirrels!

Make that one pesky red squirrel.

I'm afraid to report that the rat trap has claimed its first victim. While it's always sad to see an animal die, particularly a cute animal. this guy pushed DW too far by coming into the house and paid the price - a lesson that I'll need to keep in mind - hell hath no fury....

Anybody have a good squirrel stew recipe? :D

P.S. I have since found out that part of the reason that DW was so upset is that a a few years ago a neighbor had a squirrel enter their lake house over the winter while they were away, invested their bedroom with fleas, the woman got a terrible rash from the fleas and they had to leave their house for a while while the exterminator did a flea bomb.

Nothing worse than a squirrel in your house.

Today we traveled down to Venice, FL to pick up our granddaughter for a few days. Met her and our son at the Cracker Barrel and had our usual breakfast. Son and I always get Uncle Hershels Favorite. Granddaughter is turning 17 this fall and is getting ready to move to Georgia in a couple weeks. Our son and her mother divorced years ago but everyone is friendly. Granddaughter is a little worried about the change in schools but she will be going to a brand new high school so will be joining a lot of new people.

We all got on Skype tonight and talked to our grandson who is in the Navy in Pensacola. She hadn't talked to her cousin for quite some time and they had a great time. Granddaughter will be here through Saturday and we will have to show her a good time.

Anybody have a good squirrel stew recipe? :D

When I was a kid we had squirrel as often as possible. You have to cook it a long time. Texture and taste of chicken dark meat -- well maybe a little tougher. We had other stuff that many people here would not touch.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/songs-of-home-50162.html#post936295

Edit to add: I have some Red Fox urine which is supposed to repel squirrels, but I have not put it out yet. I thought Red Fox died many years ago, but I see that it was Redd Foxx who died some time ago.

Last edited:
We had a squirrel crawl in through a small hole into the attic & died . The smell was awful . It was about four months before it went away so I am siding with your wife .

Despite lousy reviews I went to see "Rock of ages " in the movies and I have to say I enjoyed it . I thought they all did did a great job . I am not a Russel Brand fan so he was the exception. He always plays the same stupid parts .

We got the two squirrels and then wouldn't you know it, another one showed up. Pesky critters. With any luck we'll get him and that will be the last one.

In the meantime I bought a "squirrel resistant" bird feeder so I'll give that a try. We have already had a beautiful yellow finch visit.

I need to replace the screen door tomorrow.

Had a dentist appointment this morning, gassed up the car, did a little shopping in the morning. Washed the front windows in the afternoon and had family over for dinner and cards late into the night.

We got the two squirrels and then wouldn't you know it, another one showed up. Pesky critters. With any luck we'll get him and that will be the last one.

More might come. You need to warn them off, as they did with the "Forbidden Zone" in the original Planet of the Apes.

Attachments

• 13854952_gal.jpg
    13854952_gal.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 4
I always heard that if you kill a squirrel, two more will take its place (like the hydra, or gray hairs). But they bring giant have-a-heart traps, so you'll be okay.

It's been a busy week. Our daughter is surfing-deficient so we've been out three times this week. I'm actually hoping to have today off for "vigorous yardwork", and we'll go surfing tomorrow.

We did a good bit of electrical work this week. When our new familyroom was built last December, the electrician put in white rectangular receptacles & switches. The receptacles match the white walls better, and the openings have small plastic "safety" windows over the hot/neutral slots that only recede when a ground is plugged in. So for the last six months we've been going around the house replacing all of the 23-year-old putty-colored oval receptacles with the new white models. Some of those [-]gecko eggs & centipedes[/-] old receptacles did not age well. It's also been interesting to see what breakers are really supplying which receptables/switches, instead of the claims made by the builder's list on the distribution box. My receptacle tester and multimeter have had a good workout.

I've held back from doing the livingroom because it has so many receptacles & switches off one breaker, and that breaker controls spouse's TV/TiVo. We'd also have to move around a lot of furniture.

Coincidentally, spouse's TV started acting up. She prefers to watch cheap CRT TVs (no HDTV in this house) bought off Craigslist for $50 or less. Some of them only last a year or two, some last a decade. A neighbor had just given her one of their excess TVs, so when spouse's 27" CRT started shutting down on overload we upgraded to the neighbor's 32".

So in one fun morning we moved around all the furniture, swapped out the TVs, replaced half a dozen receptacles (one of them switched), and replaced half a dozen light switches (half of them three-way models). Only two of the wires broke, and I was able to fix them with pigtails. By lunchtime I was actually sore, especially in my hands from all the grasping & tweaking & twisting.

We're almost done but we still have to move a couple of bookcases in the study to swap out those receptacles, and one switch is going to require an oversized cover plate. It all worked out great but I was surprised at how many apparently unused muscles I discovered. And in the process, just like my submarine days, I've memorized practically the entire electrical distribution diagram.

We got the two squirrels and then wouldn't you know it, another one showed up. Pesky critters.
They have little squirrel assignment officers (with clipboards) who move new squirrels to the territory whenever a billet becomes available...

Yesterday did the weekly food shopping with Mom. Then, DD came over (to Mom's) with her kids (3.5, 0.9) and we went to a nearby petting zoo. Everyone had a good time, except for a creepy guy, but we ran him off.

Today went to see the film Bernie. Highly recommended, most enjoyable.

There's no such thing as the last one. They always come back for more.

In the meantime I bought a "squirrel resistant" bird feeder so I'll give that a try. We have already had a beautiful yellow finch visit.
Do keep us posted on this. If you find one that is really squirrel proof let us know. I'm buying stock in that company.

Washed and waxed the young wife's MINI. I was assisted by my 16 year old neighbor (for $10/hr). He had never waxed a car before, so it was also a learning experience. I think we'll do an oil change next week.

I recall Uncle Mick's battle with his squirrels a while back. He was using an airsoft gun that shot non-lethal plastic BB's. He gave up in the end, I think.

Why can't we just consider the bird feeders squirrel feeders and leave it at that? Aren't they both wild life that need to eat? I myself have no preference.

Last edited:
....Why can't we just consider the bird feeders squirrel feeders and leave it at that? Aren't they both wild life that need to eat? I myself have no preference.

I did consider the squirrels to be benign for a while but unlike the birds, the squirrels leave droppings all over my deck railings that I then have to clean off. Once they started chewing my screen door, that was the last straw. This is war - the squirrels have got to go. I "think" this third one is the last one in the tree adjacent to my house, but we'll see.

There are a couple of beautiful yellow finches at the bird feeder right now - and they don't crap all over my deck railing.

About 5 years ago I purchased a Droll Yankee birdfeeder for DH's birthday or Father's Day or something. The first year or so, squirrels tried to figure it out; it was rather amusing to watch. The perch is very lightweight and tips when a squirrel tries to use it to reach the food. Can't remember the last time I saw one try.

We have one that looks like the Tipper model. It was about $70.00 then - lists as $114.00 now. Ouch....guess that's why we never purchased another
one.

But, if you really, really want a squirrel-proof bird feeder......

Just finished canning 7 quarts of peaches! DH placed a plastic owl in the peach tree last week to keep the birds away. It actually worked, and we have a nice crop.

Darn! The pigeons in my neighborhood are either too dumb or too smart to be scared by plastic owls placed on rooftops. They perch on the decoy to gain another foot in elevation as a surveillance spot!

Last edited:
Loafing a bit after a busy start to the weekend. We went to San Antonio to see the US Marine Band perform (my cousin is a 20-year member of the band but I'd never seen her perform in person). Wonderful concert, followed by drinks on the Riverwalk with my cousin - lots of catching up as we hadn't seen each other since my dad's funeral nearly six years ago.

Saturday morning we decided to visit one of the Spanish mission sites - DH is a native Texan and had never been. Very interesting - we'll check out a few more when it's a bit cooler.

Stopped at [-]Toys-r-4-Men[/-] Cabela's on the way home - another first time visit. Of course we found a few things we [-]really needed[/-] just had to have.

Think I'll head out to the hammock chair with a book and a beer to enjoy the cool afternoon - although the forecast was for 100, it hasn't hit 90 yet.:dance:

Visited Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA, and toured the USS Massachusetts (BB-59); USS Joseph P. Kennedy (DD-850); USS Lionfish (SS-298) and a Soviet Tarantul class missile corvette. I went with the neighbor lad who works for me on weekends and a friend from church and his daughter, who has recently enlisted in the USN on delayed entry. It was a very nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom