Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #8641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You aren't a real geezer unless Medicare paid for it!
Oh...shoot! I have to wait 5 more years??

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #8642
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I'm now officially a geezer...had my shingles vaccine today.
Did you have to go to a doctor first?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #8643
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'm now officially a geezer...had my shingles vaccine today.
Don't forget the vaccine is now approved for people in their fifties----oops, I guess that still could be considered geezer range!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #8644

The move went smoothly and the phone company was on time to install the phone/internet/cable TV package. Now I just have to unpack a whole LOT of boxes.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #8645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Yes, I did. My doctor's office put my name on a waiting list. I had to wait about a month before they called me. I did see my doctor and asked about the vaccine, but only because I was at a regularly scheduled appointment when I asked. You probably could just call you doctor's office and ask for the vaccine without a real doctor's appointment. A nurse will probably give you the shot without even seeing the doctor after they get you down for wanting the shot. Well...maybe that's not quite right...a doc would need to write the order for the shot...hmmm Call and see what they say?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #8646
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got my regular flu shot yesterday, and boy is my arm sore.

The person at the pharmacy said that "everyone in her family had the flu," which is total baloney, since there have been no outbreaks of flu yet.

Around here, they use the word "flu" to mean "very sick."
Old 10-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #8647
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Here in Michigan you can get one at a drug store without a prescription. In order for my health insurance to pay for it, I'd have to be 65 yo and have a doc administer the shot.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #8648
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I got my regular flu shot yesterday, and boy is my arm sore.

The person at the pharmacy said that "everyone in her family had the flu," which is total baloney, since there have been no outbreaks of flu yet.

Around here, they use the word "flu" to mean "very sick."
Maybe they had the "whiskey flu"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #8649
Give me a forum ...

Mr B is taking a midterm exam online, so we must vewy vewy quiet today. Ssssshhhhh

Just killing time today until I go to do table bussing at the dinner club. Mr B and another member have been recruited to sell raffle tickets to the dinner crowd. They sold over $200 last week just by approaching tables.

I weighed myself this morning and was very pleased to see the numbers 179.

I am planning a garlic, pumpkin and Indian corn hunting expedition on Sunday with a new "activity partner" friend. The Mustang is way overdue for a spin. We've had a lot of rain lately. Rain is a real mood killer for a convertible ride.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #8650

I was at the doctor on Monday and got both the flu and pneumonia vaccines. One in each arm. Didn't hurt at the time but 4 days later I'm still sore, like I got punched or ran into something.

Our insurance covers the shingles vaccine at 100% for age 50 and over if given at a doctor's office so I asked about getting that one, too. My doctor told me that they don't have the proper refrigerated storage at their office, it has to be kept colder than normal refrigeration, but that I could pick it up at a pharmacy and bring it in. That sounds a little odd to me. Our insurance won't pay for it if given at a pharmacy, it would have to go through our prescription plan and we have a $550 deductible and then 35% copay on prescriptions. The doctor said she'd ask her administrator how to handle this. I'm not in a hurry for the shingles vaccine but I do want to move ahead on it so I'll see what they come up with.

I'm in Ohio where I think you need a prescription for the shingles vaccine. Many pharmacies advertise that they have it available.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #8651
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
My doctor told me that they don't have the proper refrigerated storage at their office, it has to be kept colder than normal refrigeration, but that I could pick it up at a pharmacy and bring it in. That sounds a little odd to me.
I got the same story from my doc.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 10-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #8652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I weighed myself this morning and was very pleased to see the numbers 179.
In that order?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #8653
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Me too. They told me that Medicare doesn't pay for shingles vaccine. That means my supplemental insurance won't pay. I haven't checked into my drug coverage (Humana). At the county, it costs $170.00.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #8654
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, I did. My doctor's office put my name on a waiting list. I had to wait about a month before they called me. I did see my doctor and asked about the vaccine, but only because I was at a regularly scheduled appointment when I asked. You probably could just call you doctor's office and ask for the vaccine without a real doctor's appointment. A nurse will probably give you the shot without even seeing the doctor after they get you down for wanting the shot. Well...maybe that's not quite right...a doc would need to write the order for the shot...hmmm Call and see what they say?
So in order to get the shingles vaccine I have to acquire a doctor, arrange an appointment, get a prescription...
Why?
Didn't have to do all that stuff for flu or TDaP.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #8655
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Here in Michigan you can get one at a drug store without a prescription. In order for my health insurance to pay for it, I'd have to be 65 yo and have a doc administer the shot.
So prescription requirement varies by state?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #8656
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was at the doctor on Monday and got both the flu and pneumonia vaccines. One in each arm. Didn't hurt at the time but 4 days later I'm still sore, like I got punched or ran into something.

Our insurance covers the shingles vaccine at 100% for age 50 and over if given at a doctor's office so I asked about getting that one, too. My doctor told me that they don't have the proper refrigerated storage at their office, it has to be kept colder than normal refrigeration, but that I could pick it up at a pharmacy and bring it in. That sounds a little odd to me. Our insurance won't pay for it if given at a pharmacy, it would have to go through our prescription plan and we have a $550 deductible and then 35% copay on prescriptions. The doctor said she'd ask her administrator how to handle this. I'm not in a hurry for the shingles vaccine but I do want to move ahead on it so I'll see what they come up with.

I'm in Ohio where I think you need a prescription for the shingles vaccine. Many pharmacies advertise that they have it available.
They say they have it available but don't mention you need a prescription until you actually ask for it.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #8657
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Our insurance covers the shingles vaccine at 100% for age 50 and over if given at a doctor's office so I asked about getting that one, too. My doctor told me that they don't have the proper refrigerated storage at their office, it has to be kept colder than normal refrigeration, but that I could pick it up at a pharmacy and bring it in. ...
I got the flu & pneumonia vaccines together this year (timing was right, I was in for regular blood work, statin refills). Arm was a bit sore, but I definitely felt a mild flu-like for a few days, Don't recall ever having that before, but never had the pneumonia shot before.

Doctor also said that if you get one round vaccine shots, you need to wait (6-8 weeks?) before getting another. Something about the body has to finish fighting the first before starting on a second. My son in 3rd year PharmD school agreed. So make sure you wait the appropriate time before getting the Shingles shot.

I still need to check if my ins covers it, but I might pay the cost regardless. My son just came down with it at 25, fortunately it doesn't seem to be an extreme case.

-ERD50
Old 10-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #8658
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
My doctor told me that they don't have the proper refrigerated storage at their office, it has to be kept colder than normal refrigeration, but that I could pick it up at a pharmacy and bring it in.
Same here, and the pharmacist was opening the freezer to check her stock.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #8659
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
In that order?
Yuppers! I've been seeing 18x for almost a year. That 7 was a welcome sight.

Still chipping away at the pre-winter ToDo list...anything liquid in the back shed has to be brought into the garage, need to drain garden hoses and turn off outside water spigot, blackberry vines need trimming back, garlic needs to be planted, more falling leaves on the lawn to chop up, 2 window AC units need to be removed, need to carry up more seasoned wood, put Stabil in mower gas tanks, etc etc.

How did I do all this when I w*rked? Phew!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #8660
Moderator Emeritus

I'm back at home after a few exciting experiences at the hospital and clinic.

I had a referral to see the urologist at our HMO, about my prostate and urinary retention problem. So it begins...

"You need to wear a Foley catheter for a week to relieve the stress on your bladder.". Um. OK? So, lie back and think happy thoughts... Once the nurse detached me from the ceiling tiles, she gave me a quick rundown on how to clean things, and a few accessories to let me engage in now-complicated tasks like taking a shower. I was then sent home, little knowing what was in store...

An hour after getting home, I feel light headed. I check the collection bag, and see about 200 ml of blood. Not pink or red blood tinted urine, but opaque, dark red blood, exactly like what I see in the bag when donating blood. Now, not having medical training, I find this curious, and a bit alarming. I know that on "House" when this happens all manner of medical hilarity ensues. So, I call Urology and leave a message. I call the advice line for our HMO, and listen to Muzak for 20 minutes or so until I am feeling faint. Then I decide on a more direct approach, inform DW, and we head for the ER. There goes my high deductible savings for the year...

We get to the ER, the triage nurse takes the vitals, and checks the collection bag. When the ER nurse looks startled, you know things are going to be interesting. I was admitted immediately, which was a relief for me. I had managed to get myself in an environment where I could be monitored and kept out of further trouble.

Over the next 16 hours I learned all about catheter placement, the different sizes and tip styles, and the wonders of the three-way Foley for irrigation and the hazards of clots in catheters. (The line clogged a couple of times from clots, which were promptly dislodged. If that had happened at home, I would have had more trouble.)

It turns out that bleeding when decompressing a distended bladder is pretty common. While distended, the internal pressure holds the damaged blood vessels closed. When the pressure is relieved, they may open up and bleed immediately, or after some mechanical irritation (like driving home, bouncing and jolting the shrinking bladder). It would have been nice if the urologist had mentioned this. Even better might be to adopt a practice such as telling the patient to walk around and hang out in the lobby for 30 minutes or so, and have the nurse or tech check the collection bag and line for signs of clots or bleeding before sending the patient home. (I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain why that would be a useless waste of medical resources. Yeah. Compared to 16 hours of ER time? I'll definitely hit my max out-of-pocket on my high deductible plan, but I'm OK, no signs on nasty complications so far.)

So that's what I've been doing. Gad...