Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 AM   #8741
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

32 gallons of paint so far, but we're getting closer to the end than the beginning.
Wow.

A good reminder why, except for the first, all my houses were stone or brick.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #8742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Monday, Monday...

I intended to get out and chop up the big maple tree's fallen leaves with the lawn tractor, but they were still wet and now it's sprinkling out. Oh well.

I have some lightweight grocery shopping to do, but it isn't turning me on to go do that in the rain.

I cleaned up and sanitized my green algae infected mushroom growing dome. I can sit here and watch the parts dry, or...hmmm...drumming fingers...

Ah, I believe I shall set up my mini greenhouse and grow lights.

I love being FIREd.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #8743
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Mr. Nords.... that's a lot of paint my friend! I think I used up 3 gallons painting our bedroom. May use another 1/2 gallon, painting the trim and closet doors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Wow.
A good reminder why, except for the first, all my houses were stone or brick.
There's a lot of wood in a planked-beam ceiling! There's also too damn much wood in a bunch of eves & fascia boards.

I can't imagine how much it would cost to ship brick out here. You would think that we'd build our homes out of lava rock, but for some reason it's never caught on.

But we've finished the majority of the wood & siding painting, and from here it's mostly drywall. As soon as the electrician does his part:
DIY home improvement | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #8744
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I installed the base boards in our bedroom, and sanded an old mirror frame for the Bunny. She is going to stain the frame a different color to match the new bedroom colors.

Made some soup...mushrooms, peppers, onions, than added three chicken breasts that were cut up into small bits. Jalapeno peppers from our garden made the soup hot and spicy, just the way we both like it, served with grilled cheese sandwiches. Dinner is ready for MNF.

Are you ready for some football!!? A Monday Night Party! OPPS, that's right.... Jr. got fired! Funny how some people say enough to get themselves fired!!!!!!!!

Trex
Old 10-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #8745
Give me a forum ...

I played "leaf roundup" with my lawn tractor. The leaves are chopped up into tiny little pieces to decompose and fertilize the lawn. No leaf raking for this Bird.
I will need to get out there one more time for the last remaining leaves still clinging to the tree branches.

I may drive up to Lake Ontario tomorrow in the Mustang, just to get out of the house and get a change of scenery. The leaves should be at peak color just to the north of my little town. I need to find some pumpkins so I can decorate my front porch for Halloween. I draw faces on them instead of carving them so they last through Thanksgiving.
I'm still a kid at heart.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #8746
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Made a run to ACE for critter food.
Made big pot of soup.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #8747
Give me a forum ...

My trip to Lake Ontario was called on account of rain.
So I surfed, handled some delinquent emails, and baked chocolate coconut cookies.
Those who recall I was an Engineer will probably get a big chuckle out of my transition from "rocket scientist" to cookie maker extraordinaire.
The skills are the same...spec out the requirements (recipe), procure the supplies (ingredients), build the prototype (mix, form, and bake), deliver to customer for testing (eat).
My best customer will be home from class soon, so the acceptance test results are not yet determined.

UPDATE: The customer has informed me he will consume ALL prototype cookies, i.e. no modifications to the design and NO samples can be delivered to anyone else. I love a low maintenance man.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #8748
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cardio beats (hitting and dancing around srums), followed by Zumba at the gym (two hours plus hot tub/sauna).

This afternoon, waiting for maintenance/service guys. Making vegetarian chili as I wait.

This evening, friends are coming over to play mah jong.

A perfect ER day! Am even helping neighbor out by letting the HVAC guy in while she w*rks.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #8749
Give me a forum ...

Completed the re-vamping of an old painting. I changed the colors and texture to match the color scheme of my house.

...and yes, I used house paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02862.jpg (422.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #8750
Moderator Emeritus

I reviewed the tasteful brochure printed in four point type that our gigabank thoughtfully included with this month's statement. Changes are afoot... Being disinclined to leave $20,000 in our checking account at no interest, or $50,000 in other accounts at the world's worst interest rates (0.08% money market account? Really?), I thought I'd do a little research.

Yeah. The other gigabanks have similar plans. So, I looked into local credit unions and regional banks. Score!

Opened new accounts at a small but very stable (better Texas ratio than the gigabank) regional bank that has it's own ATM, rebates fees from other ATMs, won't charge us for our debit card, won't charge us for having accounts, doesn't charge for talking to a teller, and seems to generally be a much nicer place to bank. And their coffee's pretty good.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #8751

And I thought our bank was great, with free lollipops in 10 flavors.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #8752

Continued the unpacking chore. One room left and I'm done.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #8753
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Opened new accounts at a small but very stable (better Texas ratio than the gigabank) regional bank...
Is the stability that important, since the money will be FDIC insured?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #8754
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

Is the stability that important, since the money will be FDIC insured?
Less stable banks may have their profit margins crimped by the need to raise capital to meet requirements. I've noticed that such banks are often inspired to explore exciting new opportunities to improve operating margins, especially related to growing service areas such as electronic debit transactions. I'm expecting my gigabank to start charging to close accounts next year, as that appears to be a big new growth area for them...

Less stable implies... More likely to look for cash in other peoples pockets.

The small bank seems to have a novel business model. Unlike the gigabank, whose biggest business is creation of synthetic collateralized debt obligations to be sold, built on underfunded credit default swaps with the funding gap backed by depositors money, this small bank mostly engages in small business, personal, and prime mortgage loans, and even more bizarre, holds the loans in it's own portfolio. Is that weird, or what?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #8755
Recycles dryer sheets

Painted base boards in the bedroom...

Trex
Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #8756
Give me a forum ...

I solved a problem today.

The boundary conditions:
We live in a raised ranch. The major wood supply is delivered and stacked at ground level, outdoors. The fireplace and weatherproof log storage (for 1 season) is on the upper level in the enclosed porch.
I have carpal tunnel and chronic tendinitis problems in my hands and wrists. Mr B had a mild heart attack and 2 stents implanted in April.

The problem: How do we get the wood from ground level to the upper level without having to hand carry it up the steps, load by load? The preferred carrying devices are a canvas log carrier and a sturdy LL Bean bag, both with 2 handles.

The requirements: Something that can be quickly attached to/removed from the upper porch rafter and requires very little hand strength to operate. No stair climbing. I guessed the weight would be under 50 lbs weight per load, in either of the log carrier devices.

I looked at block and tackle systems, winches (manual and powered), did some research about homemade pulley systems, and then started thinking out of the box.

The solution:

Amazon.com: Hunters Specialties Super Mag Lift System with Magnum Gambrel: Sports & Outdoors

All I have to do is drill a hole in the rafter, insert a sturdy bolt and washers, and use the hook to hang it.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #8757
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I solved a problem today.

The boundary conditions:
We live in a raised ranch. The major wood supply is delivered and stacked at ground level, outdoors. The fireplace and weatherproof log storage for 1 season is on the upper level in the enclosed porch.
I have carpal tunnel and chronic tendinitis problems in my hands and wrists. Mr B had a mild heart attack and 2 stents implanted in April.........
Or this?

Gambrel and Pulley Hoist
Old 10-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #8758
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Thanks.

I had seen a similar one at Amazon, as well as several ceiling and joist mount bicycle and kayak hoist systems. The thin rope (1/4") on the Harbor Freight one would be an issue for the weakened grip in my hands.
I needed a thicker rope, so I went for the heavy duty one with larger pulley tracks. If need be, I will replace the nylon rope with a natural twisted fiber one (already have on hand) and use the nylon rope for something else. Also, I can attach both log carriers (full) at once without putting too much strain on the gambrel. I also liked the 6:1 w*rk ratio on the one I selected.

PS No deer hunting is planned in my future.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #8759

Yesterday started a four-week "advanced photography" class at a local community college taught by a 30-year veteran photographer at National Geographic. Since he looks about my age and walks like he's 25 year older that's probably a physically demanding life.

The assignment this week is bring back a window-lit portrait with only a reflector for supplemental light. He suggests a $5 piece of white foamboard from WalMart as the reflector. DW is not enthused about suffering sitting as my model but (after a minimum one hour of preparation of course) will pose.

This I take as a sign of true love and trust in a woman.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #8760
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I painted the bedroom closet doors, and the Bunny painted my dresser black....

Trex
Closed Thread