Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #8761
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I went over to the next door neighbors to say goodbye They are in their 80's and finally sold their house and are moving into a nearby apartment building. They listed their house for $120,000 in March and had no action for almost 6 months and then it finally sold for $105,000. They hated to have to drop the price but they needed to move on to their new simpler life. They are both still in good health but the upkeep and yard work was too much. We are very happy for them but it's sad to see them go.

When we moved here in 1983 we were the youngest (28) ones on this end of the block. We have a lot of new neighbors now and with this couple moving out we will be the family who has lived here the longest.

The new owners are an older couple but they didn't buy the house for themselves, it's for their daughter (single mom) and her son. The house is 2BR, 1 bath ranch house on a corner lot. Also has a one car attached garage and a nice back yard.

I hope this works out as well as the last neighbors. They were the best. I'm surprised at how sad I am over this. Makes me feel old......

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #8762
Full time employment: Posting here.

Been watching/listening to the Conrad Murray trial on my laptop the past couple of days while I do household chores in the background. Interesting stuff, to me.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #8763

Visiting Mom, who is now staying with sister and BIL while we work to find assisted living. Mom fell, fortunately only cuts and bruises, and can't be alone any more.

On the lighter side, I got a b'day e-card from the ER.org 'elf' for my 56th b'day! Another year older and another year closer to FIRE.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #8764
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
AND NO UNDERWEAR! It was an emergency, I was after a dog!
It's good to go "combat style" when doing a good deed ...
Old 10-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #8765

Going on a Cub Scout camping trip with DS-8. We will see a planetarium show and camp in the field adjacent to the telescopes.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #8766

DW said - I want to to do some changes in the back garden..... I shovelled about 3 tons of rocks, only two more ton to go... Manana.

Edit add: Who needs a Concept 2 when there are rocks to shovel. At least I don't need to make little ones out of big ones.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #8767
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today is a ten in South Florida . Sunny , high 70's with light breezes . We went to a few unique stores that sell hand painted furniture and then stopped at a local Tiki Bar for a late lunch .
Old 10-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #8768
Administrator

I sang at a funeral today. It was for a man in my church whom I have known for many years. As I listened to the tributes by friends and family, it struck me how little we all truly know about each other. I think I should ask more questions.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #8769
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
As I listened to the tributes by friends and family, it struck me how little we all truly know about each other. I think I should ask more questions.
Very true. DH went to a co-worker's funeral last week (he had a major heart attack right in front of DH at work and was only 37 :-( ). Who knew that he was interested in nature and the environment and had even written a book about birds? Just goes to show how much we really think we know about our friends and co-workers.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #8770
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to brilliant sunshine. This is a very welcome sight after almost a week of coudy/rainy weather.
Mr B has a computer upgrade j*b to do today, so I am going with him to keep the customer (a friend) company while he massages the 1s and 0s from an older computer to a newer one. Cold beverages could be involved.
I have another costume to w*rk on for 2 Halloween parties this coming Saturday night. My only hint is that I need to find some fake cherries.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #8771

We tailgated. First time for me. Before going to see the Northwestern - Penn State game. The Cats played valiantly but the Lions prevailed.

We grilled wild boar sausages and lamb sausages, accompanied by veggy chile, capicola and sheeps milk cheese. Washed it down with unpasteurized cider and Flying Dog ale.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #8772
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
......... The Cats played valiantly but the Lions prevailed. .........
Coming from Michigan, those are words that I never thought I'd hear.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #8773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

I have another costume to w*rk on for 2 Halloween parties this coming Saturday night. My only hint is that I need to find some fake cherries.

Is it Carmen Miranda ? I went as her one Halloween . I wore a leotard with a leotard skirt , wedge sandals and wrapped my head in a scarf with fake fruit attached . Fun & easy costume !
Old 10-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We tailgated. First time for me. Before going to see the Northwestern - Penn State game. The Cats played valiantly but the Lions prevailed.

We grilled wild boar sausages and lamb sausages, accompanied by veggy chile, capicola and sheeps milk cheese. Washed it down with unpasteurized cider and Flying Dog ale.
Does Northwestern still have the cheer,

That's alright
That's OK
We'll own your farm
Some day!

Or, is that just for Iowa?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #8775

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Coming from Michigan, those are words that I never thought I'd hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Does Northwestern still have the cheer,

That's alright
That's OK
We'll own your farm
Some day!

Or, is that just for Iowa?
My brother is the Northwestern fan, so I don't get the references. Yesterday was the third time I've attended a game. Quite enjoyable. The fans are sober and well behaved, when they play the school anthem most sing along. Everyone seems to enjoy themselves without rowdiness.

The one thing that struck me was how much soft drinks (coca-cola et al.) people drink. Even kids.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #8776
Give me a forum ...

Went grocery shopping today. DH put in a special request of me buying not only his regular beer, but a six pack of Lowenbrau.

I searched the aisles three times...no Lowenbrau. Exasperated, I chose a different beer....Buffalo Butt.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #8777
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The Virgin Mary.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #8778

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The Virgin Mary.
Now THAT'S funny!

I don't care who ya R.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #8779
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Is it Carmen Miranda ? I went as her one Halloween . I wore a leotard with a leotard skirt , wedge sandals and wrapped my head in a scarf with fake fruit attached . Fun & easy costume !
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The Virgin Mary.
Very good guesses, but not quite.

Google the joke "Nookie Green". Substitute the fake fruit. Then recall Mr B's costume. No more hints!
snicker snicker...
Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #8780
Moderator Emeritus

Had a wonderful BBQ sandwich with the company of the Houston chapter of E-R.org, including over an hour of talking story about dozens of off-topic subjects. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing everyone again. Thanks, guys!

We're spending tomorrow on Richmond Ave checking out lighting stores for wall sconces to install in our newly remodeled familyroom.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Closed Thread