Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #8801
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The not-so-good news is that we had the same flight crew as last week. Their performance was unforgettable, and I'm pretty sure they remembered me too...

Five of six sconces survived the trip. Luckily we only needed five and the sixth one was my $67 suitcase insurance against the store's $150.
Clearly a Navy flight crew; always looking for the ball to slam it in. You need a good heavy airlift Air Force pilot next time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #8802

Happy Hour that morphed into pseudo dinner with twice or thrice removed ex-boss and a virtual boss (over me and ex-boss) from years ago -- account sales team. W*rk was not always torture. There were some good times -- believe it or not.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #8803
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Clearly a Navy flight crew; always looking for the ball to slam it in. You need a good heavy airlift Air Force pilot next time.
I'd much rather stick the landing!

But at this point I'll take anyone who has legroom and can handle a freakin' question like "Could I have a cup of coffee, please?"

I've traveled twice in two months now... probably more than I can handle.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #8804
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Talked to a buddy of mine at the police department today. He told me I was missed and he wished I would come back as I was the only volunteer that would tell the naughty 'customers' to 'Shut up and sit down!'

.....ahhh, one of the best compliments ever....
Old 10-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #8805

Delightful experience this morning.
Went to the doc for my annual physical and passed with flying colors. He has been my doctor for at least 20 years, so he knows me pretty well. When he checked my blood pressure, he announced the numbers, and I said "Well, that's acceptable." He replied "No, that's not acceptable, it's fantastic at your age."

His comment, towards the end, was "I still can't get over the fact you're 65 years old; physically, you're way younger than that."

Then we had a most interesting exchange. I said that I was scared last year when my blood glucose crept up into the pre-diabetic range, so I've spent the past year working hard to improve my numbers.

His response kind of boggled my mind. He said "You're unusual in that. Most of my patients have no problem with diabetes. They just take the medications or the injections in stride, because they have no intention of changing their lifestyle when the drug companies can fix the problem for them."

Wow! Just wow!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #8806
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the great checkup braumeister!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #8807
Give me a forum ...

I spent the entire afternoon at the ER with Mr B. He's OK now.

This horrendous flu bug he caught last week got so bad that the severe congestion in his chest made it tough for him to breathe properly. He was essentially going into moderate respiratory distress under the slightest exertion, but was fine when sedentary. He took Mucinex faithfully but it was not enough to combat the congestion. So he reported to the VA clinic right after class. He was promptly given oxygen, a quick respiratory treatment and whisked to the hospital ER by ambulance.

I heard the news at 1230 PM. I never moved so fast in my life to dress and drive to the hospital.

His diagnosis was acute "tightening" of the bronchia, caused by the flu bug and compounded by the rainy wet weather we've had for over a week. He was treated and released with an Rx for a home nebulizer, as needed.

I have the bug also, but my chest congestion is minor. I have more of a sinus headache and nasal drainage than the severe coughing and congestion he had.

I am exhausted from worrying about him and the entire episode.
We are very happy that things were not worse.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #8808

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
We are very happy that things were not worse.
Me too! Goodness! What a stressful day you had!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 10-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #8809
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Freebird, I'm glad he made it to the hospital! That's scary. I had no idea that anything that bad was going around. You must have been pretty scared to hear that this happened, more or less out of the blue like that.

I hope the two of you are feeling better soon. Now that he is home, your chicken soup therapy is in order for both of you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #8810
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Me too! Goodness! What a stressful day you had!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, Freebird, I'm glad he made it to the hospital! That's scary. I had no idea that anything that bad was going around. You must have been pretty scared to hear that this happened, more or less out of the blue like that.

I hope the two of you are feeling better soon. Now that he is home, your chicken soup therapy is in order for both of you.
He has been coughing all week and felt very tired. I had been bugging him to go to the doctor, but in standard Martian (Men are from Mars...) style, he declined until it got so bad it affected his breathing when walking across campus and up 2 flights of stairs to the classroom.

We were worried about pneumonia, but thankfully the chest Xray was clear.

I had a good nights' sleep and so did Mr B. He is so much better today. The bronchial dilator treatment and the steroid shot they gave him did wonders.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #8811
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear it, Freebird.

When I was younger, I sometimes had an asthmatic component to bad respiratory infections (that went away when the infections were gone, so I wasn't really an asthmatic I guess). It almost sounds like he might have had something similar.

And yes, he should have gone to the doctor sooner. When you are both feeling better, maybe he will see that you were right about that and that he could have saved some money by just seeing a doctor before things got so urgent.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #8812
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Glad to hear it, Freebird.

When I was younger, I sometimes had an asthmatic component to bad respiratory infections (that went away when the infections were gone, so I wasn't really an asthmatic I guess). It almost sounds like he might have had something similar.

And yes, he should have gone to the doctor sooner. When you are both feeling better, maybe he will see that you were right about that and that he could have saved some money by just seeing a doctor before things got so urgent.
Uh huh...

Old 10-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #8813
Moderator Emeritus

Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #8814
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

I had a good nights' sleep and so did Mr B. He is so much better today. The bronchial dilator treatment and the steroid shot they gave him did wonders.

Make sure Mr.B still takes it easy a lot of times with the steroids you feel great but you are still very sick . Take care !
Old 10-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #8815

Quote:
Uh huh...

Yep, I came from riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight over there ^ just above the little black spot.

I've heard it's a pretty cheap place to retire - land is "there for the taking" due to low demand, virtually actually ZERO taxes, and housing, well, it's "dirt" cheap.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #8816
Administrator

Quote:
maybe he will see that you were right about that and that he could have saved some money by just seeing a doctor before things got so urgent.
And then he'll sing Kumbaya around the campfire...
Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #8817
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
And then he'll sing Kumbaya around the campfire...
Welll, one can dream, right?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #8818
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Make sure Mr.B still takes it easy a lot of times with the steroids you feel great but you are still very sick . Take care !
TY
Yes indeed, that is exactly what the folks at the hospital told him. He has several Rx to fill and the nebulizer machine to order. He just left to report back to the VA clinic to see if the VA will authorize the nebulizer and the Rx written by the RPA at the hospital.
His color is very good and his coughing is much reduced.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #8819
Administrator

Quote:
Welll, one can dream, right?
Dream? Sure. I dream all the time - like the one where I'm going to understand DW some day. About the same odds that the hubby turns to his DW and says -" yeah honeybuns, you were right after all and from now on I'm going to the doctor at the first sign that something is wrong. And thanks so much for reminding me". Right.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #8820
Give me a forum ...

Here's hoping Mr. B will be up to doing some Sarducci soon!

Yesterday my trio played at the opening of a supermarket. Have we reached the pinnacle of success or what?

The problem was that the bass player forgot about the gig. I'd sent an email and left a message at one of his houses, but he was at the other house. He's usually very dependable, but spaced out this time.

Anyway, I called him from the gig, but he was 1.5 hours away. He jumped in the car, but I had to play the first set without a bass player. It was OK, but the Safeway honcho who had flown in to oversee things didn't seem happy. Just like being a middle manager again.

I also had my backup drummer, who is about 74 and takes out his hearing aids when he plays, so I have to turn to him when I count off, and he often doesn't come in for a few measures.
Closed Thread