Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #8841
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am feeling the flu bug hitting me very hard today...so I ate some leftover chicken and rice soup and drank hot herbal tea all day. My best option is to rest and keep the fluids going and not go out into the damp cold night.
I wanted to go out for Halloween, but having this bug cancelled it for me.

I look forward to feeling better in a few days.
Hope you guys feel better soon!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #8842
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
Hope you guys feel better soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Ugh, no fun. I hope you are feeling well soon.
Thank you. Just gotta ride it out.

Father Guido Sarducci (Mr B) gave me a very sad face when I told him I wasn't up to going out. After a few hours of that, I quit whining mustered some energy and put together a quick and dirty costume for myself. We went out for a few hours. We ended up at Denny's for some coffee, so I treated myself to a decadent piece of layered chocolate cake and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

I feel a bit better today.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #8843
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am feeling the flu bug hitting me very hard today...so I ate some leftover chicken and rice soup and drank hot herbal tea all day. My best option is to rest and keep the fluids going and not go out into the damp cold night.
I wanted to go out for Halloween, but having this bug cancelled it for me.

I look forward to feeling better in a few days.
Feel better soon!!!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 10-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #8844
Give me a forum ...

Last night I went in the basement to grab a couple of brewskis for the 'fridge and just happened to hear water trickling. Turns out there was a leak in the galvanized fittings between my well pump and the pressure tank. No problem, I thought - just needs a small tightening. Needless to say, when I tightened the fitting it snapped off as did two adjoining fittings. So suddenly it is late at night and we have no water.

After a restless night and a few gallons of emergency-stock water, I traipsed down to Home Depot and bought $70 worth of fittings. It turns out that all the galvanized fittings were rotten and just on the cusp of a very expensive bursting and flooding scenario.

That is one reason that I shut off the well's electricity when we travel.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #8845

I was heading over to the next town, there were some signs for fruits etc.. Then I came upon this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0409.jpg (660.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0410.jpg (461.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #8846

She might be a keeper. She could make bread and make bread.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #8847
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I was heading over to the next town, there were some signs for fruits etc.. Then I came upon this one:
Mr. 99.... Nice sign, how was the jelly? Pretty Good?

I had a Blood sugar recovery day...too much food, (Carbs), and beer last night! Enjoyed doing nothing, except watching the 49er's win today...and posting pics of halloween.

Trex
Old 10-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #8848
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Brought in the clothesline and the birdbath; winter.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #8849

I made carnitas.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 AM   #8850
Moderator Emeritus

Friday afternoon/evening, Saturday, and Sunday: 14 hours of painting for each my spouse and me. All the wood for the house's baseboard moldings and familyroom trim has been primed & painted for the contractors to install. Almost all of the fascia boards have been painted before the roofers do their thing. Most of the back lanai's new siding & trim has been painted, and most of the familyroom exterior siding has been painted. My spouse has saved the high parts for me this coming week.

I'm getting pretty good with a spray gun. Looking forward to using it to prime & paint the drywall in a couple weeks.

Rumor is that Home Depot found the frame for the familyroom sliding door to our back lanai, so the contractor might put that in tomorrow. It'd be the first time in eight weeks that we've actually been able to lock up the back of the house without using 4'x8' sheets of plywood and a screw gun.

Thank goodness it's almost Monday...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:58 AM   #8851
Moderator Emeritus

I spent the afternoon racking leaves.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #8852
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The right rear wheel parted company with my new (9,000 miles) diesel truck today.
Have you figured out how that happened? Some studs broke off then the nuts worked themselves loose on the others?? Or did someone forget the nuts?

Was anything remaining on the car damaged, or could you must put a new wheel on?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #8853

Organized / cleaned our garage to better fit 2 cars, truck, boat, riding mower and trailer, atv, 3 bikes, deck furniture, planters. Assembled my new band saw. Beer tasting in the afternoon.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #8854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Mr. 99.... Nice sign, how was the jelly? Pretty Good?

I had a Blood sugar recovery day...too much food, (Carbs), and beer last night! Enjoyed doing nothing, except watching the 49er's win today...and posting pics of halloween.

Heh, heh, I like window shopping. No matter how tempting, I can do without the extra gifts.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #8855
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Heh, heh, I like window shopping. No matter how tempting, I can do without the extra gifts.
Mr. 99... I always felt that the Mom and Pop operations were safer than the big Farm Corporations...can you say e-coli &.....

Today I'm removing the old carpet padding in our bedroom. This afternoon, I will learn to install new carpet & padding. Also, The Bunny sanded & painted my old dresser. So, we're storing the drawers in Rita, our Airstream, to keep them away from the dew point mornings outside on the patio.

Trex
Old 10-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #8856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Friday afternoon/evening, Saturday, and Sunday: 14 hours of painting for each my spouse and me...

Thank goodness it's almost Tuesday...
Yeah, we're painting the house, exterior, today. 8 hours of watching the guys work. Feeuuw, can't wait for tomorrow so we, uh they, can start in on the trim.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #8857

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Have you figured out how that happened? Some studs broke off then the nuts worked themselves loose...
Studs without nuts? Must bite tongue.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #8858
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Good luck. Hope the warranty process will work.
Unfortunately it didn't. GM says the wheels were removed to install the 5th wheel hitch and they aren't liable for the "improper installation" of the wheels when they were put back on. They can't prove that was the cause of the wheel failure, but I can't prove it wasn't. No amount of calm reasoning on my part regarding the two damaged wheel studs - the rust indicating they had been cracked for some time - will get them to budge.

Rather that get all worked up about it, I decided to report the accident to my insurance company as collision damage (the brake rotor collided with the pavement once the wheel departed). I figure USAA will have better luck going up against GM than I will. I don't think I have anything to gain by getting into a p!ssing match with the service manager since I need them to repair my truck as soon as possible - the replacement wheel, brake rotor, and other components are scheduled for delivery Friday morning and I hope we can be on the road again by Friday evening.

If not, I'll have to put DW on a flight home Saturday as she has a couple of medical appointments early next week that will be tough to reschedule.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #8859

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Unfortunately it didn't. GM says the wheels were removed to install the 5th wheel hitch and they aren't liable for the "improper installation" of the wheels when they were put back on. They can't prove that was the cause of the wheel failure, but I can't prove it wasn't. No amount of calm reasoning on my part regarding the two damaged wheel studs - the rust indicating they had been cracked for some time - will get them to budge.

Rather that get all worked up about it, I decided to report the accident to my insurance company as collision damage (the brake rotor collided with the pavement once the wheel departed). I figure USAA will have better luck going up against GM than I will. I don't think I have anything to gain by getting into a p!ssing match with the service manager since I need them to repair my truck as soon as possible - the replacement wheel, brake rotor, and other components are scheduled for delivery Friday morning and I hope we can be on the road again by Friday evening.

If not, I'll have to put DW on a flight home Saturday as she has a couple of medical appointments early next week that will be tough to reschedule.
After making the claim you can always write to GM and open a complaint with them. The corporate office deals with complaints and quality issues much differently, and you may have better luck. If you have already gone forward with the repairs ask for the old parts to keep as support for your claims.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #8860
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Yeah, we're painting the house, exterior, today. 8 hours of watching the guys work. Feeuuw, can't wait for tomorrow so we, uh they, can start in on the trim.
Spouse and I are even more anal than anything else about paint jobs, and we've learned that we'd rather do it ourselves than feel obligated to re-do someone else's work.

It's only saving us about 10% on the total package, but it's a good way to keep tabs on the work and to make sure we're thinking ahead of the contractors.

Our latest epiphany was a solar exhaust fan. Back when the house would swelter in the summer, we had a passive vent installed on a void over the kitchen to help cool it down a little. Then we acquired a solar exhaust fan that I'd never quite gotten around to installing, so we were going to have the roofers do it for us. However the contractors had enclosed that opening as part of the new familyroom roof, so when the roofers got here tomorrow they were going to have to cut a new hole to install the fan.

This morning we realized that the house is now so cool that we really don't need the exhaust fan. It's one less hole to cut in a perfectly good (new) roof, and it won't get in the way of the photovoltaic panels when we put them back up.

So now we're going to sell the fan on Craigslist...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Closed Thread