what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a full day today...

I took the boat out for one last spin. I had the entire lake to myself. :D I pushed the throttle to the max on calm water and achieved 42 mph. Woooooooooo :cool:
It was pulled it from the lake with the assistance of the boatyard mechanic in his truck. My Jeep is not trustworthy for towing anymore.

After all that excitement, I went to chinese buffet with former co-w*rkers. I was pleased to be able to chew normally when I ate. The dentist gave me 2 tubes of Vella (fluoride varnish for treating dental hypersensitivity) on Tuesday to calm down the chronic pain and see if the nerve recovers. If the pain returns, I am probably looking at a root canal. :( So far so good without a Vella treatment since last night. :dance:

I stopped for eggs and bought some surprise ice cream for Mr B. He is up to his eyeballs with 3 courses and feeling the mental pinch. Ice cream always cheers him up.

We are going to visit his Mom for her 85th birthday :flowers: next week IF he can get his assignments done. I have a feeling I will be doing most of the driving on that trip. I prefer that to worrying if he is getting road weary at 65 mph on the NYS Thruway.

Oh...and I changed my avatar. :)

Last edited:
In the car alllll day (DH and i switching off driving responsibilities) from Cape San Blas, FL to home in central AR.

There. is. no. place. like. home.

Our dog was so happy to see us and vice versa.

In a few days i plan to post a trip report on The Villages, where we spent 3 1/2 days. We do not think it is for us, but what an unbelievable thing they have going on. DH and i don't quite know what to think about it all.

I am getting to do something most older retirees would like to try . I am currently staying in my Mother's independent living apartment .

Yes, do write about that when you're back home. More than one person is interested in that.

We spent the morning with SIL at the office of an eldercare attorney going over paperwork for new power of attorney for FIL, health care directive, and will.

Went out for a nice lunch with SIL, then back here for a while, she wanted to see the wedding photos I'd taken and talk with DW for a bit.

Now I'm debating whether to mow the grass or go for a motorcycle ride. The streets are calling me so the grass can wait.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Tri-State Antique Truck Show Winchester, VA, a short distance away. Will post pictures.

Last edited:
I've been off the board for a couple weeks.

I had a great time at FINCON12 in Denver, met a lot of rock-star personal-finance bloggers, and got all of my obscure questions answered.

I also spent time during & after FINCON with my Dad and my brother. Dad's Alzheimer's continues to wreak its havoc, but he's coping on Aricept and a low dose of Lexapro. I visited Dad's lawyer to make sure he had no paperwork surprises (we're good), sorted through a bunch of old photo albums & Dad's possessions, and had several long discussions with my brother. That all went as well as those things can go.

I enjoyed hanging out with JDarnell & Brewer, and learned a lot from both of them. Thanks, guys!

Now we're at our college daughter's Families Weekend. She's doing much better in her junior year than she was in her freshman & sophomore courses-- both academically and on her stress level. However she still has a ton of reading, homework, & projects to get a handle on this weekend, followed by a fluid mechanics test on Tuesday. Then there's the usual dorm & NROTC drama to talk through and plan ahead. We'll go to a few FW events on campus and she'll hang out with us at our rental apartment this weekend, so we'll get plenty of quality time.

I haven't been surfing since Labor Day. I'll be glad to get back home.

We spent the morning with SIL at the office of an eldercare attorney going over paperwork for new power of attorney for FIL, health care directive, and will.
I'm glad that's going well. It's tough to get it all sorted out.

Went to an antique truck show in Winchester, VA and met up with a BIL there (the one with a brain). Hey, every guy needs an antique fire truck in his garage, right? The neat part is that he used to drive it when he was a volunteer in College Park, MD.

I am in awe of the precision of some of the restorations, some of them large long distance haulers.

And for some people one just isn't enough.

Attachments

• Truck_show-4.jpg
    Truck_show-4.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Truck_show-15.jpg
    Truck_show-15.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Truck_show-13.jpg
    Truck_show-13.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Truck_show-22.jpg
    Truck_show-22.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Truck_show-24.jpg
    Truck_show-24.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 7
Spent the morning wandering the small mountain town of Ouray, CO. The quiet was suddenly interrupted by one of the Navy Blue Angels* making a low level pass up the mountain valley, right up the center line of main street, in full afterburner. Put a new part in my hair.

He was long gone when I took this photo.

*Performing at an air show in nearby Grand Junction this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 7
Enjoying our Families Weekend time with some runaround errands.

First, we got our flu shots. For some reason we've found it easier to do those here for the last three years... probably because we're not at home doing other ("more important") errands.

Then we visited a jeweler for an appraisal on some of Mom's & Dad's engagement/wedding rings. No Antiques Roadshow surprises there, and these things were meant to be worn instead of stored in a safe deposit box. We're planning to hold on to my mother's engagement ring in case our daughter wants to someday reset the diamond. Another small eternity ring is probably better worn on a necklace, or will have to be resized to fit our daughter's bigger hands. The other two rings are "sentimental value only".

Next (as usual) we also helped with apartment maintenance. Our daughter wants to swap out a closet doorknob with one that can be locked, so we found one at Home Depot. She also needed help with a vacuum cleaner. Once we found all the filters (and hairballs), she didn't need much help.

This year she's in charge of her dorm's properties, which means that she has to arrange to repair their recreational gear faster than the hard-partyin' drunks can break it. (This turns out to be valuable submarine division officer training.) Today's project was taking apart a hammock to figure out what parts to order from the manufacturer. It appears that the hammock had a weight limit after all, and the mechanical engineering lab doesn't have the ability to straighten out a bent/kinked section of 1.5" steel pipe. We also learned that most ping-pong tables won't survive having a 250-pound football player sit on them.

We had fun at one of the Weekend's first events-- an a capella performance by the university's Philharmonics, followed by improv from their group "Spontaneous Combustion". Hopefully nobody was recording video, or the latter group may have to retire their "Muppet Beeker" imitation of the university president. And yes, Alan, I mean Muppet in the British sense as well as the American...

Today's the big BBQ before the football game. Looking forward to more Goode cuisine. It's not kal-be, but it's far better than any other Texas BBQ that Hawaii has to offer. I've been snorkeling through corned beef and fajitas products all week, too.

How'd she get to be a junior? Time sure flies...
Next month we'll be an officially teen-free family. The other night (over dinner) she asked us to help her fill out her Navy service selection commissioning worksheet. Only 20 months left until she's a big-shot ensign!

Yesterday was a frantic Friday. Started off giving a United Way (I'm on the board) campaign presentation at a local bank just before it opened. Came home and changed out of nice clothes into grubbies to clean the fish pond and repot and/or divide the water lilies, all of which were very pot-bound. Also planted some herbs to replace the ones that got straggly through the summer heat. After lunch, headed out for a meeting for another volunteer gig. On the way home, got my car washed and they also fixed the windshield chip I'd picked up a few weeks ago. Picked up some books at the library and renewed my library card. Stopped at the Discount Tire to have the air in the tires checked and topped off (they do it for free). Grilled stuffed porkchops and okra for dinner. Talked with DD for nearly an hour on the phone. Nearly fell asleep after 5 minutes of TV so decided it was time to hit the hay.

Up early as I was driving 2 girlfriends to a scrapbook convention about an hour away. We each took several classes, bought supplies, and had a great time. Even the car time was fun as we hadn't seen each other much over the summer. Now catching up on Facebook and the forums here before starting dinner.

Think I'll take it easy tomorrow!

DW did a 7K race this morning while I hung around the start/finish area in my lederhosen. This is Oktoberfest weekend in the city, and I have often been told I look "extremely German." Must be true, because I had at least half a dozen people come up and ask to take my picture. Either that or they wanted something to laugh about later.

The only reason I didn't run was because I did a half marathon last weekend and wasn't quite ready.

If you're ever near Cincinnati (or Zinzinnati as they like to say) around this time of year, by all means try to visit our Oktoberfest celebration downtown. It's the biggest one in the world outside of the original in Munich, Germany, and really a lot of fun.

Just drove home from College Station back to Dallas. got to watch the Aggies beat South Carolina 70 - 14.

DW did a 7K race this morning while I hung around the start/finish area in my lederhosen. This is Oktoberfest weekend in the city, and I have often been told I look "extremely German." Must be true, because I had at least half a dozen people come up and ask to take my picture. Either that or they wanted something to laugh about later.

The only reason I didn't run was because I did a half marathon last weekend and wasn't quite ready.

If you're ever near Cincinnati (or Zinzinnati as they like to say) around this time of year, by all means try to visit our Oktoberfest celebration downtown. It's the biggest one in the world outside of the original in Munich, Germany, and really a lot of fun.

Useless without pictures.:cool:

We're nearing the end of our college daughter's Families Weekend. We had dinner last night with one of her roommates and her father. She's getting a degree in "Viola Performance" with a minor in anthropology.

It was a glimpse into an amazing life. She's in one of the country's top ten music schools, so she has the chops. She's been playing for over eight years and she practices viola 6-8 hours/day. (Her "exams" are even more scary.) She's started writing/scoring music as well as performing at festivals and for orchestra auditions. She has thick calluses on her left hand, a twist in her right index finger (from holding the bow) and a possibly permanent "hickey" (pressure mark) under the left side of her jaw. When she graduates, she'll play for one of the world's top orchestras. Last summer she participated in an Aspen music festival. During her liberty time she practiced on street corners with a donation bucket at her feet, and got paid over $50/hour to let the audience listen to her practicing. The "gig money" she collects over the next couple years is going to pay her way to pursue her graduate studies with a European viola expert... in Europe.

She's incredibly intense (in a good way), focused, and dedicated. She has no illusions about the financial aspect of her pursuit, but she's hardwired for it. She can't even imagine having a "real" job with a business. This is her avocation.

Meanwhile our daughter's focused on her Tuesday fluid mechanics exam. She'll spend some of the day on exercising and on hosting us at her servery for lunch or dinner, but our quality family time mostly consists of hanging out during her study breaks. We also have plenty of leftover Goode's BBQ from yesterday's pregame party, so we won't need to leave the apartment for quite a while.

For you Navy veterans, I'm also pleased to be able to help her with her maneuvering board problem set. Apparently it's one of the few traditional naval techniques that hasn't been totally outmoded (yet) by an iPhone app. One of the reasons she's pushing for the submarine force is so that she won't have to do mo boards anymore. I've been showing her "Dad's quick & dirty" mo board guesstimates to go with her parallel ruler and dividers... after she gives the rudder order first, of course.

On Friday I was waiting for my bother at the hospital...he had a minor procedure. I noticed all these people rushing outside with glee. So, being the curious type, I rushed out too. There, right overhead was the huge jumbo jet with the Endeavor piggybacked. I clearly got the sensation that they were showing off. It isn't every day that i accidentally witness history!

On Friday I was waiting for my bother at the hospital...he had a minor procedure. I noticed all these people rushing outside with glee. So, being the curious type, I rushed out too. There, right overhead was the huge jumbo jet with the Endeavor piggybacked. I clearly got the sensation that they were showing off. It isn't every day that i accidentally witness history!
We watched on Tv the Enterprise being piggybacked into New York & on our recent visit to new York we saw the actual Enterprise . I was shocked at how big it was & amazed that it could be carried on top of an airplane . I highly recommend the Intrepid museum .

That's what happen when you don't watch the news. I had no idea this was going on right outside my window!:facepalm:

My stay at independent /assisted living is coming to a close . My Mom was transferred today to the nursing unit of her retirement home . She needs physical therapy for at least another month . The things I have learned are to make sure to pick an Independent living apartment that has access to all the health stages ( Assisted living ,nursing care & even hospice ) . This way they are pretty much promised a bed for whatever stage is needed . The other thing to check out is how many pull cords there are for help . My Mom's had only one so she continued to wear her emergency button which came in handy a few times . My Mom's apartment is a one bedroom with a tiny kitchen & a large bathroom & tons of storage . She had the option of how many meals to take . Another thing to look for is the ability to have extra care in your apartment if needed . We think she will need this for awhile when she returns to her apartment . The other good thing about picking a place with all the options is her friends are close so she can continue social activities while she heals .Today as I got my Mom settled in her Nursing room where she will be for at least a month I decided to make sure I have plenty of money for a one bedroom Nursing room because to be with a stranger for a month would be my idea of hell . Luckily my Mom likes the company .

Today as I got my Mom settled in her Nursing room where she will be for at least a month I decided to make sure I have plenty of money for a one bedroom Nursing room because to be with a stranger for a month would be my idea of hell . Luckily my Mom likes the company .
We looked at a private room for my Dad, but it seems to be a money-losing deal for the care facility. (Dad's on a waiting list for it.) His care facility charges $214/day for a semi-private room but only $230/day for a private one.

You know a cruise ship would charge a lot more for a single person using a two-bed room. Unless that "private" room is a converted closet, it would seem that the facility only saves a few private rooms for residents with whom nobody else can live.

Just got back from a 3 day trip to Nashua, NH. Mr B's Mom was thrilled we could be there in spite of his study w*rkload and an upcoming test. Mr B's colorful language regarding the driving habits of both MA (on I-495) and NH (on Rt 3) folks had me laughing my head off. :LOL:

We 3 went out to dinner at a traditional New England seafood restaurant with his brother, bro's GF and bro's daughter. We decided we would burn some of that cashback credit card reward money and treated everyone to dinner and dessert. What the hell...sometimes ya gotta throw some money around. :D
On the way back from the ladies' room, I saw a self-serve lottery machine. Just for fun, I blew $10 on 2 Massachusettes scratchoff lottery tickets and gave them to his Mom as an early birthday present. She had a ball doing the scratchoffs.
All eyes were fixed on the tickets as we joked about wouldn't it be something for her to hit the "big one' at the age of 84 and 363 days old.
No such luck. :mad:
BUT...her smiles and laughter while scratching off those tickets were well worth the $10.

On the drive home today, traffic was light for the most part. The fall colors in the Berkshire Mts along the Mass Turnpike (highest point on the Pike at elev 1724 feet) were fabulous.
I was driving, so no pics. Sorry :( Mr B saw them through his closed eyelids. ;)

I love getting away, but it sure is nice to be home again. :D

Last edited:
I'll be darned. I can still help a midshipman solve mo board problems.

Old dogs. Old tricks.

Families Weekend is over. Our daughter has a monster fluid mechanics exam tomorrow (I'm not much help with that) while spouse and I are flying back home.

We looked at a private room for my Dad, but it seems to be a money-losing deal for the care facility. (Dad's on a waiting list for it.) His care facility charges $214/day for a semi-private room but only $230/day for a private one.

You know a cruise ship would charge a lot more for a single person using a two-bed room. Unless that "private" room is a converted closet, it would seem that the facility only saves a few private rooms for residents with whom nobody else can live.
When my mother was in a nursing home suffering with advanced dementia, her roommate proved to be a godsend. At that time my mother did not have the mental wherewithal to press the button if she needed assistance. Her roommate was a disabled nurse on Medicaid whose mind was sharp. Her problems were physical.

So, roomie kept an eye on my mother until she died and made sure the DCW's (direct care workers) and nurses did what they were supposed to do. You just can't be there all the time. Especially, when we are taking about a couple of years.

The roommate is still in the nursing home and we visit her from time to time. I know all the medical people on this board are rolling in money and would never end up in a nursing home on Medicaid.:)

Happy Fun Plumbing Day

We have one of those instant hot water gadgets plumbed into the kitchen sink. It's handy for brewing a quick cuppa, or filling a small pot for boiling. The only tiny little gotcha is that the little heater tanks have a service life of maybe five to seven years with our soft water, and they tend to signal that they have reached the end of their service life by leaking rusty water into the cabinetry.

We detected the characteristic end of life behavior a few days ago.

A detailed examination of the under-sink realm revealed that the hot water gadget wasn't the only plumbing that had reached its expiration date. The cheap shutoff valves with the attached spiral flex tubing showed signs of pinhole leaks in the tubing. The faucet wasn't in great shape, either, with water flowing outside where it should be inside. Clearly this sink was due for a refit.

I ordered a new hot water gadget from the great river of the Internet, and picked up a faucet on the last Costco run. (The buffet lunch was excellent, from the little sausages to the key lime pie. But I digress...) A fan was placed to air out the damp cabinet while i waited for the UPS truck to bring the gadget.

All the needed parts were here this morning, along with the Bucket-O-Plumbing, a five gallon bucket full of odds and ends that inevitably are dug through at least once on each plumbing task. Today was clearly The Day.

With the Bucket in hand, and my shiny red toolbox, I set up base camp in the kitchen. The contents of the under-sink realm were transferred to a big basket, except for a few odds and ends that had done poorly in the recent dampness (cardboard box of dishwasher soap? Down check!) which got tossed. The drain lines were detached, with the whole assembly of PVC set aside for later reinstall. The garbage disposal dropped out easily, after judicious application of WD-40. I shut the water stops, and with a few applications of a tubing cutter, all the old waterlines were out. A little more WD-40 and the old faucet and hot water dispenser were out.

Two new shutoff valves, with proper compression fittings instead of that spiral flex tubing had to be installed, so while DW went out to lunch, I shut off the house water. The old valves were pulled, pipes cleaned up, and the new valves were installed. They were shut, and the house water was restored. No leaks!

I fitted in the new faucets, and mounted the new hot water tank, resorting to the Bucket for proper parts to mount the tank. Two sheet metal screws into wallboard got a big thumbs down from me. With the tank hung, the water and vent lines snapped right in. The new supply lines went onto the new valves, and I had everything all connected and tidy in maybe an hour. I opened the valves, and checked for leaks. None!

I reinstalled the garbage disposal and the drain line assembly, and got that all snugged down. After one more check for leaks, I flushed all the lines, filled and flushed the little hot water tank, and plugged it in.

Fifteen minutes later, I had funny tasting hot water. (The tank needs to be flushed a couple of times after it gets hot.)

So, I think I had a successful day. No leaks so far, anyway.

I'm relaxing and reading "Rapture of the Nerds" now, in which the protagonist has a rather different day than mine, starting with jury duty and becoming rapidly weirder from there.

Went for a hike with a friend for 1.5 hours. The first part was fairly strenous as it involved a lot of uphills. Thereafter, a cup of cuppuchino and pastry in Starbucks. Followed by pilates session in the evening. I was dead beat tired and slept at 9 pm.

I finally returned from my recent adventures( Cruise through New England & Canada and then an unexpected side trip to Pa. to take care of my Mother ). I really observed first hand how a fall can really disorient older people . My Mom was always mentally fine but this fall has made her super anxious and paranoid .Every morning I would have to hunt down different items (depends , polident , chap stick , rosary beads, chocolate milk shake , new pajamas, sneakers ,etc.,etc. and every evening I would get calls where did I hide something or accusing me of deleting her cell phone contents . The funniest thing is when she was being transferred from the rehab unit to the Nursing Unit she wanted her purse because she was sure they were all looking for tips .A lot of us have incredible longevity in our families but except rarely it's not a pretty sight after 92. Sorry if this post is a downer but thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom