Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #8861
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We tested the painter on my MIL's house last month and were pleased. Not the painting I mind but the prep on the wood trim is brutal. I'm done with that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #8862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today's big excitement is going to get my Jeep tires rotated and checked, at no cost (lifetime rotation deal) We had no snow yet, but it is not far away. I have not driven the Jeep too much over the summer because the gas mileage is awful. Winter road conditions make my priorities change over from economy to safety. Mr B will still be commuting 20 miles to school, so he gets the 4WD on lake effect snow days.

I bought some fresh turkey legs on sale yesterday, and will be roasting those for dinner. I also plan to make a small turkey with all the trimmings for Thanksgiving. I will slice up and freeze the leftover meat for hot covered turkey and open faced turkey/BACON/tomato cheese sandwiches.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #8863
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yesterday my trio played at the opening of a supermarket. Have we reached the pinnacle of success or what?

The problem was that the bass player forgot about the gig. I'd sent an email and left a message at one of his houses, but he was at the other house. He's usually very dependable, but spaced out this time.

Anyway, I called him from the gig, but he was 1.5 hours away. He jumped in the car, but I had to play the first set without a bass player. It was OK, but the Safeway honcho who had flown in to oversee things didn't seem happy. Just like being a middle manager again.

I also had my backup drummer, who is about 74 and takes out his hearing aids when he plays, so I have to turn to him when I count off, and he often doesn't come in for a few measures.
Sounds like your average gig to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I was heading over to the next town, there were some signs for fruits etc.. Then I came upon this one:
So, which is for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Studs without nuts? Must bite tongue.
That's very eunuch unique...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #8864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I did my two favorite hikes this weekend. Yesterday I hiked about 16 miles along the Eagle Creek trail in the Columbia River Gorge, it's about 1/2 hour from downtown Portland. The hike has a lot of waterfalls and is an easy grade to hike. It is an amazing hike.

Today I hiked about ten miles in the Silver Falls State Park which is about 1.5 hours SE of Portland. There is a stretch in the hike that has 10 incredible waterfalls; the trail goes behind three of the falls. The last couple of miles is through old growth forest.

The temp. was in the mid 60's and the smell of Fall was in the air.
Having grown up in Portland your trips to Eagle Creek and Silver Falls State Park brought back great memories. Spent a lot of time at both...especially camping, hiking and fishing at Eagle Creek. Great place to be a kid who loves the outdoors...or an adult for that matter.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #8865
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Unfortunately it didn't. GM says the wheels were removed to install the 5th wheel hitch and they aren't liable for the "improper installation" of the wheels when they were put back on. They can't prove that was the cause of the wheel failure, but I can't prove it wasn't. No amount of calm reasoning on my part regarding the two damaged wheel studs - the rust indicating they had been cracked for some time - will get them to budge.

Rather that get all worked up about it, I decided to report the accident to my insurance company as collision damage (the brake rotor collided with the pavement once the wheel departed). I figure USAA will have better luck going up against GM than I will. I don't think I have anything to gain by getting into a p!ssing match with the service manager since I need them to repair my truck as soon as possible - the replacement wheel, brake rotor, and other components are scheduled for delivery Friday morning and I hope we can be on the road again by Friday evening.

If not, I'll have to put DW on a flight home Saturday as she has a couple of medical appointments early next week that will be tough to reschedule.
Who installed the 5th wheel hitch?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #8866
Full time employment: Posting here.

Installed Android SDK and bought couple Android apps development books from Amazon (kindle edition). Hope that I can learn this new fun :-)
Old 11-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #8867
Recycles dryer sheets

This morning The Bunny completed the refinishing job of my dresser. So, we moved it back into the bedroom. We are both very happy with the remodel so far....

The wind is blowing 20 mph+ out of the north... so I need to clean the pool, it's full of grape leaves...again!

Trex
Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #8868
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have you figured out how that happened? Some studs broke off then the nuts worked themselves loose on the others?? Or did someone forget the nuts?
GM says the nuts worked themselves loose causing some of the studs to break, and since the wheel was removed to install the hitch, they aren't responsible for the accident. I filed a claim with my insurance company and I'll let them work it out with GM - or not.
Quote:
Was anything remaining on the car damaged, or could you must put a new wheel on?
Nothing else was damaged on the truck or on the trailer I was pulling - not a scratch. Since the wheel vanished (see my OP), I'm on the hook for a replacement wheel and tire in addition to the repairs to the wheel hub and brake assembly. The axle does not appear to be bent but according to the service manager there is no way to be sure until the repairs are done and the truck is test driven.

If all goes as planned (I'm not optimistic), the parts to complete the repairs will arrive on Friday AM and we will be back on the road home Friday afternoon, one week after the accident happened.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #8869
Give me a forum ...

Today I made a cameo appearance at the weekly Chinese buffet I used to go to with former cow*rkers. I received a very warm welcome..."It's about TIME you showed up". All proceeded to fill me in on the latest and un-greatest about the "wonderful" w*rkplace conditions and silly new rules. I listened politely and gently changed the subject as often as possible.

I asembled and installed 2 of the T5 grow lights on the mini greenhouse I bought a few weeks ago. It all fit together nicely. I will need to get some wooden dowels to add more cross support to the shelf unit before I load the rest of the shelves with more pots. It leans a bit to one side on the carpeting. I planted some more basil and parsley to replace the older plants grown outdoors this summer.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #8870

I decided to take advantage of the nice 65 degree weather today and knocked out my old drafty single pane window and put in a new energy efficient unit. Supposed to drop into the low 40's with rain tonight. For some reason, my measurement was 1/4" too big on the width, spent about 2 hours shaving, scraping and sanding out that 1/4" from the trim wood. What fun that was! DW was happy having to clean up all the dust and debris I caused. Big plus is no more having to put plastic around this unit for winter now. I know why my measuring was off on this one, the unit I replaced had a manual metal rail that was connected thru the window pane to open/close the window....goofiest design I've ever experienced. When you have the window open, small bugs can come right in thru the opening for the metal rail.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #8871

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Having grown up in Portland your trips to Eagle Creek and Silver Falls State Park brought back great memories. Spent a lot of time at both...especially camping, hiking and fishing at Eagle Creek. Great place to be a kid who loves the outdoors...or an adult for that matter.
Well, you moved from one beautiful state to another!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #8872

Worked for 10 hrs (my normal work day)
Pizza Hut for lunch
Chatted on-line for a couple hrs this evening with a friend
Turning in early
After tomorrow, not working again for 11 days. Think I'm practicing......

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 11-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #8873
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Today I took the cat to the vet for his annual maintenance .
And big deal for me: While waiting I texted and tweeted and read email.
I'm in with the in crowd...
Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #8874

Drove to the university to take Son Number Two out for brunch. He had a history test afterwards, and so while eating we talked about the why the Constitution is so much better than the Articles of Confederation.

On the way home I thought about stopping at a dealership to test drive another car on my list of candidates, but wasn't in the mood for dealing with another used car salesman.

Did Tabata protocols on Concept2 rowing machine. It was so miserable I wished I had gone car shopping instead.

Not me, but you get an idea of how much fun they're not from this vid:

Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #8875
Moderator Emeritus

Rodent wars.

We're in day #64 of our familyroom rehab, and the demolition/rebuilding has opened all sort of interesting access to the local critters. (I never knew that cats would climb aluminum extension ladders.) One such access is a hole in the side of our 2nd story where the rooftop photovoltaic wires snake into the wall and down through the garage attic to the ground-floor inverter. When work started on the roof, I pulled the conduit fitting out of the wall to get the wires out of the way. It's been open for over a month.

A couple weeks ago I heard stealthy/slithering noises in our garage attic, so I staked it out with the usual trap. No takers. But now I knew why the cats were climbing our ladders.

Yesterday morning the roofers finally finished, so I plugged the conduit back into the hole in the wall. Today we're planning to start re-installing the PV panels.

Last night we heard no-foolin' hard-core loud crunching/chewing noises on our roof. Spouse actually got out of bed and went around the property looking for the critter. Nothing seen.

I was awakened three hours ago (12:55 AM) by more vigorous chewing noises. I thumped on the wall to scare the critter away and went back to bed. 10 minutes later work resumed. Now I'm worried that a rodent parent is trying to get back into the house to take care of the trapped babies, who I could imagine were roaming the attic chewing on the PEX water piping for hydration.

I woke up spouse to let her know I'd be on the roof. ("Mumble, grumble, mumble...") Sure enough, the flashing under the conduit-plugged hole had a small pile of wood chips on it. So I set a trap there.

An hour later I could hear more vigorous chewing but the trap wasn't sprung. I went back up on the roof and could actually hear the critter chewing, only to realize he's on the INside trying to get OUT.

I woke up spouse again to let her know I'd be in the garage attic. (Her response was inaudible or not suitable for a family forum.) I went back up into the attic and headed over toward the PV conduit. I could hear the chewing a lot more clearly. As I approached I could actually see the insulation moving around as the rodent attempted to get a better grip on the situation. Luckily before I got much closer he heard me and bolted, and I saw him run away through a stud bay.

So I set another trap. I haven't heard any chewing since. It's 4 AM now, and in a few hours I'll return to see how we did. Hopefully I'll be making a dawn transport to a secure undisclosed location for yet another catch & release.

You may ask "Geez, Nords, why not pull out the conduit for a couple hours, give Ralphie a chance to let himself out, and then plug it back in?" The reason is that I don't know how many rodents are actually in this situation, and I'm not sure if he was really trying to escape or just trying to get the word back to the rest of the tribe that the residence was ready for occupancy...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #8876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
An hour later I could hear more vigorous chewing but the trap wasn't sprung. I went back up on the roof and could actually hear the critter chewing, only to realize he's on the INside trying to get OUT.
A neighbor inadvertantly trapped a family of opossums inside his attic. Thinking he was keeping out roaming pests rather than a new set of tenants, he even said to himself as he sealed up the hole, "Let's see you little @$%#$%s get in my attic now!"

He and the wife came home from work that evening to find that the little @$#$%s had chewed their way out - each of them making his or her own escape hole. It was a large family of opossums - or they each chewed an extra hole for spite.

It was an expensive lesson in pest control and the associated repairs that come from failure to get it right.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #8877
Give me a forum ...

Skated, tried some new moves, fell, got up, several times. A good day at the rink.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #8878
Moderator Emeritus

We arrived in Kansas City this morning. We ate some delicious BBQ at Arthur Bryant's for lunch, then dragged our repleted selves to the Fedral Reserve Bank of Kansas City to visit their Money Museum with a glance into the vault. We strolled around the Liberty Memorial for a while (perfect weather) and we are getting ready for a nap.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #8879

Redistributed 47,568,000 leaves (by actual count), gave the lawn its final mowing for the year, and changed the lawn tractor over from mower deck to snow blade. Ready for winter now, so I assume that means we'll have a long, magnificent Indian Summer.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #8880

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Redistributed 47,568,000 leaves (by actual count), gave the lawn its final mowing for the year, and changed the lawn tractor over from mower deck to snow blade. Ready for winter now, so I assume that means we'll have a long, magnificent Indian Summer.
Since the avg mature tree has ~200,000 leaves, you must have a LOT of trees (~238 trees). That works out to >14,000 lbs of leaves. You probably needed a couple brews after that; I know I would! In fact, I think I'd move before doing that for another year.
Closed Thread