Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #8921
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The young wife and I make hot Italian sausage about twice a year. We don't have the fancy electric grinder though, so it's my job to crank the handle while the young wife attends to the casing. We're about due for another batch.
My BiL decided he wanted to make his own venison sausage, and LBYMed it with a hand crank grinder. He is a huge man, massive hands, feels no pain and doesn't know his own strength. One batch of sausage with the hand crank was enough for him.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #8922

Dr. visit today. PSA = 0.71

Mexican food for lunch (beef fajitas)

Frozen yogurt with pecans & strawberries at Counter Culture

Dodged a tornado that came within about a mile

Chillin' here in the recliner, watchin' tv with the missus.....

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #8923
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Drove to the university to take Son Number Two out for brunch. He had a history test afterwards, and so while eating we talked about the why the Constitution is so much better than the Articles of Confederation.
Youse guys are very intellectual.

Quote:
Did Tabata protocols on Concept2 rowing machine. It was so miserable I wished I had gone car shopping instead.

Not me, but you get an idea of how much fun they're not from this vid:
I wonder what is causing those perturbations in the chain? I've done Tabatas ( I hate them too) and did not notice that effect.

The last two days have been so pretty that I went out walking instead of rowing both days.

Ha
Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #8924
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent the day researching dryer sheets on the internet, Then went to several stores to get a box from each manufacturer. And to think I just used ti through a clean dry small twin size sheet in my dryer with my freshly washed clothes.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #8925

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I wonder what is causing those perturbations in the chain? I've done Tabatas ( I hate them too) and did not notice that effect.
It has me curious as well. Also has me looking at the chain a lot during Tabatas, and I notice a little of it and wondered what it looks like from the opposite side and a reduced angle of attack.

Today was the first day of relaxation for me after spending days nursing the whole family back to health. They all picked up a nasty case of gastroenteritis that I think Son Number One brought home from some food he ate at a party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Youse guys are very intellectual.
We have our moments, but then we always make up for them with enough lowbrow stuff to equalize the pressure. Like tonight's dinner conversation topics (the first meal all could partake in since their illness): the different sounds they make while vomiting and how cool a visual you get when you puke up blue Gatorade.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #8926
Moderator Emeritus

Spent the morning tweaking the photovoltaic rails and mounting the first five panels. The next 18 should go pretty quickly tomorrow, and then I'll start splicing wires together. I think we'll be making 1500 watts of power again by Thursday, and then I'll start on the rest of the panels.

Drywall guy has finally finished taping, mudding, and texturing the familyroom & master bedroom walls. Tomorrow I'm priming!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #8927
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
We arrived in Kansas City this morning. We ate some delicious BBQ at Arthur Bryant's for lunch, then dragged our repleted selves to the Fedral Reserve Bank of Kansas City to visit their Money Museum with a glance into the vault. We strolled around the Liberty Memorial for a while (perfect weather) and we are getting ready for a nap.
I grew up near Kansas City and still remember the best BBQ I ever had. It would be during the late 60's, near where the Kansas City A's played in the old Municipal Stadium. Little hole in the wall we always stopped at going to a game, one thing on the menu, bbq sandwich on plain white bread with sauce, I think you could get it without the sauce, ummmmm!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #8928
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent a few hours last night at the telescope chasing YU55 and finally got a few captures in my scope/camera. Object too time to see with the naked eye and moving fast. Did the hunt with a live online broadcast and had over 70 people viewing at one point.

Finally got it when a smart guy from Canada joined in and was able to feed me some coordinates where the asteroid would pass a few minutes out- put these in, armed the camera and took a 5 second integration/exposure and got it. Ended up with 6 or 7 shots, not impressive to look at but a lot of fun to catch. Here's an image showing it streaking within the view of the camera.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #8929
Recycles dryer sheets

Adjusted my wife's Citizen eco drive watch for switch from DST to EST. It's an amazing timepiece that puts the two Rolex watches we own to shame. We've owned the Rolex watches for over thirty years and have spent more money just to have them maintained than the cost of twenty Citizen eco drives.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #8930
Give me a forum ...

Very neat DM88! It would have been fun if that puppy had come a lot closer.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #8931
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Very neat DM88! It would have been fun if that puppy had come a lot closer.
Depends on your definition of "fun"....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #8932
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
Adjusted my wife's Citizen eco drive watch for switch from DST to EST. It's an amazing timepiece that puts the two Rolex watches we own to shame. We've owned the Rolex watches for over thirty years and have spent more money just to have them maintained than the cost of twenty Citizen eco drives.
The "Millionaire Next Door" author has logged a lot of Rolex purchase data:
$1 Million: Something or Nothing? (Part II)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #8933

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
Interesting. Certainly, I could buy two of them for the amount Rolex wants to do a routine maintenance on my watch. I might look at one the next time I'm in a jewelry store, just to see how they compare.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #8934
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Depends on your definition of "fun"....
People evaluating the possibility of 7 billion people about to perish, 24/7 coverage, Kardashians pushed out of the news, global unity, last hour vigils, champagne parties when it misses us. That's how I define fun.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #8935
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
People evaluating the possibility of 7 billion people about to perish, 24/7 coverage, Kardashians pushed out of the news, global unity, last hour vigils, champagne parties when it misses us. That's how I define fun.
It appears Harold Camping has hijacked T-Al's account...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #8936

Quote:
Kardashians pushed out of the news,
Destruction of the planet would be worth that.

Kim Kardashian, the fat blot on our national honor.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #8937
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Really?
You don't have offsite backups?
To me, THAT'S criminal. Or at the very least, incompetent.

Yes - we have back-ups but we're dealing with DNA sequencing and it's going to take many hours to sort what is and isn't up to date.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #8938
Give me a forum ...

Still working on thank you notes to people that sent flowers, food and visited us last week when momma passed away. Three plants were sent as well.... Daddy didn't want them, so we brought them home.

This one was sent by my friends in St. Louis. It's beautiful, but I'm still scratching my head on why they chose something so large.

Thankfully we're able to lower the backseat of our car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02873.jpg (456.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #8939
Give me a forum ...

My B&D Brute self propelled lawnmower earned its keep today. My front yard was covered with leaves from the Arbor Day pin oak I planted 20something years ago. I do not rake leaves because of chronic tendinitis in my hands.
I converted it back to a mulching mower by removing the side chute, removed the bagger chute block, and put the collection bag on the back in less than 3 minutes. With an easy turn of the key starter, I proceeded to "vacuum up" the leaves.
I emptied the bag 4 times for a 90' x 100' area. The mower left some finely chopped leaf mulch on the ground, all the better for naturally fertilizing the lawn. There are a few more leaves on the oak tree, so I will have to get out there one more time before the snow flies.
I got some good walking exercise on a bright sunny autumn day and have a freshly mowed, leaf free front lawn.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #8940
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Still working on thank you notes to people that sent flowers, food and visited us last week when momma passed away. Three plants were sent as well.... Daddy didn't want them, so we brought them home.
This one was sent by my friends in St. Louis. It's beautiful, but I'm still scratching my head on why they chose something so large.
Thankfully we're able to lower the backseat of our car.
It is usually the florist who picks the plant from current stock on hand for an out of town order. I received 2 peace lily plants that were larger than your palm tree. I donated them to the church where the services were held. If that palm gets too big, look for a local business who has a nice front sitting area. Or a nursing home. Or a doctor's office...

HUG