Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #9001
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well done. Look who has the bargaining gene. Bargaining is enjoyable, isn't it?
Thanks! Love to bargain, and the silver lining of the big black cloud of our country's economic mess is that it is getting easier and easier to bargain for almost anything IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think that is excellent advice!

Congratulations on your new furniture, but if you were going for decadent I think you missed the mark. It looks very classy to me.
Thanks! And I thought you might like that advice....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #9002
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I pretty sure I am on the mark w/RIT without being xplicit.

1. He was busted wearing the same plaid/checkered shirt in photographs with two different visitors to Tampa, one was IIRC freebird.

It was part of a way funny post by someone.

2. While driving his large motorhome he was musing about a tire pressure being low for some reason. This is the kind of techie funny stuff that I tend to remember, mostly 'cause it was noted by someone who is not in the techie field.

But if I am wrong so be it.

You are right !

Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #9003
Give me a forum ...

My Kindle Fire came today and what fun. it is exactly what I wanted . Something for reading plus all the extras for travelling . So far I really really like it !
Old 11-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #9004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My Kindle Fire came today and what fun. it is exactly what I wanted . Something for reading plus all the extras for travelling . So far I really really like it !
Tell us about it, please. I have the kindle DX, enjoy it but the keyboard is a challenge. How is the Fire keyboard?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #9005
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Tell us about it, please. I have the kindle DX, enjoy it but the keyboard is a challenge. How is the Fire keyboard?

I have found the keyboard easy to use and I usually have a problem with the smaller keyboards . This seems just the right size . It's speedy , easy to get apps .,set up email, get the web & order books , So far I am really impressed . I had been thinking about an Ipad because I need something when I travel but hate lugging a laptop . I really liked the Ipad but it was a little larger and more money than I wanted to spend at $199 this is perfect . It is heavier than my Nook but not a lot . The print for reading seems about the same . The thing that really impressed me was if you order it from Amazon it comes with all your likes built in and of course instant access to one click buying . Most of the apps are free or inexpensive . It was the easiest device I ever set up and I am no techie .The one thing I am not impressed with is Amazon's kindle lending library .Most of the books are already in paperbacks and no recent best sellers . I got a free month of amazon prime with the purchase but will be cancelling that as I see no value in it at all.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #9006
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Worked 12 hrs today.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 11-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #9007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have found the keyboard easy to use and I usually have a problem with the smaller keyboards . This seems just the right size . It's speedy , easy to get apps .,set up email, get the web & order books , So far I am really impressed . I had been thinking about an Ipad because I need something when I travel but hate lugging a laptop . I really liked the Ipad but it was a little larger and more money than I wanted to spend at $199 this is perfect . It is heavier than my Nook but not a lot . The print for reading seems about the same . The thing that really impressed me was if you order it from Amazon it comes with all your likes built in and of course instant access to one click buying . Most of the apps are free or inexpensive . It was the easiest device I ever set up and I am no techie .The one thing I am not impressed with is Amazon's kindle lending library .Most of the books are already in paperbacks and no recent best sellers . I got a free month of amazon prime with the purchase but will be cancelling that as I see no value in it at all.
Thanks for the feedback. The Fire is clearly something to keep in mind.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #9008
Give me a forum ...

These Kindle Fires seem to be flying off the shelves. I'm sure it will be a big Christmas item.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #9009
Administrator

Last night, I spent several hours having my faith in the future of our country restored. The young wife and I had dinner out with the beautiful and talented 26-year old daughter of my college roommate (she was in town on business). It was so enjoyable to talk with a young person who has her life under control and moving in a positive direction. Under a special program in her home state, she and her younger sister were able to get full scholarships to their state flagship university because their grades in high school were so good and they maintained them in college (it is a year to year renewable scholarship). She served as an RA for the room and board stipend and graduated with no debt whatsoever. She is now progressing rapidly in the career she trained for in college. Two years ago (at age 24), she bought her own house at a foreclosure sale. It had been trashed out by the prior owner, but, with the help of her dad, she fixed it up and now lives there happily, with a mortgage loan she can easily afford on her salary. She is contributing to a 401k enough to get the full match. Talking to her, I was impressed by her well founded confidence and her clear eyed appreciation of her future (financial and otherwise). Knowing her parents as I do, I can't say that I was surprised, but I was certainly pleased.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #9010
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Went by the dealer today to pick up a check reimbursing me for the cost of repairs to my truck. Once the funds hit my bank account I'll tell USAA I succeeded in getting GM to honor the warranty and I'll be returning the money they paid me on my insurance claim.

I wonder how many of these calls USAA gets? Not many, I'd bet...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #9011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Went by the dealer today to pick up a check reimbursing me for the cost of repairs to my truck. Once the funds hit my bank account I'll tell USAA I succeeded in getting GM to honor the warranty and I'll be returning the money they paid me on my insurance claim.

I wonder how many of these calls USAA gets? Not many, I'd bet...
Honor is its own reward.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #9012
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Last night, I spent several hours having my faith in the future of our country restored.
I'd like to believe there are many more young folks like her out there. They don't make the news since they don't do anything sensational, don't have an axe to grind, and don't participate in protest movements.

Thanks for sharing.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #9013
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I finished cleaning up my mess in the front yard, from my tree falling project the other day. Once I low stumped the remains of the tree, and made some cross cuts in the top of the stump. I than used this chemical power, (from Home Depot), that you place in the cuts along with water, that accelerates decomposition of the stump...6 to 8 weeks.

Trex
Old 11-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #9014
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sounds like you are surrounded by prisoners. Feel your pain
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #9015
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Mindy...which post are you talking about? Prisoners

Trex
Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #9016
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Mindy...which post are you talking about? Prisoners
I believe she's referring to all of us still w*rking...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #9017
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to a winter wonderland.

Measurements were taken at midnight last night (3.5 inches) and 10 AM today (8 inches)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nov17Midnight3.5inches.jpg (19.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Nov18AM8inches1.jpg (29.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Nov18AM8inches.jpg (22.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #9018

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I woke up to a winter wonderland.

Measurements were taken at midnight last night (3.5 inches) and 10 AM today (8 inches)...
Oh my goodness - can't believe how much snow you guys have had already this year! It's pretty, but gosh I don't miss shoveling it! LOL (I used to live in PA)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 11-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #9019
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Must..................not......................pos t..................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #9020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Must..................not......................pos t..................

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Closed Thread