Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #9141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Our Kenmore has an LCD panel that you program with the hardness of your water. (Obtained by testing with a conductivity meter or by reading the water-quality report of your water company.) Its internal flowmeter tells it when to regenerate the resin with the salt. Then you fill the tank with at least one 40-pound bag of salt, although they can usually hold five or six bags. If you use just one bag then you fill it once a month or whenever you happen to look into the tank and notice that there's no salt...
That's what I need. Aqua Systems is probably what I will go with, when the time comes.

Welcome to Aqua Systems | Water Softeners starting at $499

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #9142
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
That's what I need. Aqua Systems is probably what I will go with, when the time comes.
Welcome to Aqua Systems | Water Softeners starting at $499
The tech has been dumbed down considerably in the last decade, and Aqua makes it sound considerably more complicated, difficult, & scary than it really is.

But if they have good warranty service then it's a good deal.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #9143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since you are talking about water softeners, does anyone have any experience with descalers? Our new house has only slightly hard water and a septic system so I'm not keen on putting brine into the septic system that would happen with a water softener but would like something to reduce the vary minor scale build up we get. Seems some people swear by them and others swear at them.

The other alternative I am considering is to dig a dry well for the water softener brine so it doesn't go into the septic system.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #9144
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The other alternative I am considering is to dig a dry well for the water softener brine so it doesn't go into the septic system.
I'm not sure what brine would do to a septic system, but you could just water the driveway or a gravel strip.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #9145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm not sure what brine would do to a septic system, but you could just water the driveway or a gravel strip.
The brine from our heavily-used softener has been going into our aerobic septic system for well over a decade without a problem. Not sure if that would be the case with a traditional system.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-01-2011, 04:59 AM   #9146

It's Winston Churchill's birthday (well, it still is out around where Nords lives; 30 November). So, a quote; one of my favorites-

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts."

Seems to me it applies to almost everything...including FIRE.

Happy birthday Winston!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #9147
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bought a laptop from Dell on Monday that was supposed to ship on Tuesday. Received an email yesterday afternoon saying that they were sorry, but the item would arrive after 12/26. This happened to me the one other time I tried to buy from Dell so I sent them a note saying to cancel the order and told them of my first experience, said I wouldn't consider them for any future purchases. Note back said sorry, "stuff happens". I think it's a bait and switch to sell a more expensive unit. Ordered another laptop from Best Buy that will supposedly be at the store on Monday.

Later in the day, I received a note from Dell saying that since I had not given them permission to delay the shipment, the regulations from the FTC forced them to cancel my order, what a load of bull. There may be a regulation but the order was cancelled because they couldn't deliver. I wonder if there is some reporting requirement with this regulation that will now show the order in a category that seems less obvious than the fact that their service sucks? Oh well, wondered enough, time for more fun things to think about.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #9148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The brine from our heavily-used softener has been going into our aerobic septic system for well over a decade without a problem. Not sure if that would be the case with a traditional system.
Thanks. We have an engineered leach field and the manufacturer recommends that water softeners not be discharged into their system.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #9149
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse hired a housecleaner.

This housecleaner used to clean our house over a decade ago (during our working days) but left for the Mainland. Now she's back and looking for work, so she's cleaning our familyroom windows and dusting everything before it goes back to its previous location. There's at least five or six visits in that room alone before she'll run out of cleaning.

"Before" the housecleaner, spouse and I would've painted for a few hours and maybe done one or two other minor chores before taking the rest of the day off. But during the four hours that the housecleaner was here, spouse burst into a frenzy of accomplishment that left me exhausted. And we're paying her, too...

The good news is that the end of the housepainting is in sight, and the structural inspector signed off on the permit. Now we just need the engineer's signature for the "occupancy" certificate.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #9150

Shoveled six inches of snow off the walk. First time this year. AAAAAAAAAAAGH! Time to book the tickets to Arizona.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #9151
Give me a forum ...

At Mr B's request, I made homemade sauce with meatballs and sausage, served over capellini for dinner. We eat pasta very rarely. I enjoyed every forkful.
He had a meeting to run tonight. I usually go and hang out while he herds cats, but tonight I decided to put on my flannel pajamas and just hang out at the house. I need my energy for tomorrow night's table bussing.
It will probably be busy, which means I will be cruising at high speed
from table to table clearing dishes for several hours. I am loving the improved muscle tone in my upper arms, legs and kiester.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #9152

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Bought a laptop from Dell on Monday that was supposed to ship on Tuesday. Received an email yesterday afternoon saying that they were sorry, but the item would arrive after 12/26. This happened to me the one other time I tried to buy from Dell so I sent them a note saying to cancel the order and told them of my first experience, said I wouldn't consider them for any future purchases. Note back said sorry, "stuff happens". I think it's a bait and switch to sell a more expensive unit. Ordered another laptop from Best Buy that will supposedly be at the store on Monday.
I also ordered a new laptop from Dell on line. A sales rep called within an hour of placing the order and told me it would take about ten days to deliver because one of their factories had been damaged by the floods in Thailand and was still getting back to full production mode. I appreciated the fact that they actually made the call so quickly.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #9153
Moderator Emeritus

Our dryer bit the dust this morning. I was thinking about going low cost and replace it with an old-fashioned clothesline. DW said no. So I went shopping for a new dryer at Sears. When I came back home, I could not find a package UPS had supposedly left on my porch while I was gone. So I spent an hour on the phone with the UPS/Amazon customer service to try and sort it out. Thankfully, the package was delivered by mistake to one of my neighbors and I was able to recover it pretty quickly. Finally, today marks the first day of my Christmas baking marathon, so I was busy planning for it.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:35 AM   #9154

Mini spring clean today - focus is on clothings. Gave away two big sacks of my clothes. I still could not part with the last 2 suits I bought when I was working. I bought them to wear for a 2-day series of interviews for my last job which I worked for 3 years before ER. Guess I'll hang them in my closet for another year. I think I can wear the jacket with jeans or slacks and have the smart casual look.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #9155

Belatedly I took DW out for dinner for her birthday. (I had to work on the actual day, and the place I took her wasn't open then anyway).

A guy at work told me about this place: West Virginia Bed and Breakfast | Lodging at our Charles Town WV Inn

It turned out to be as advertised. What a surprise when the maître d informed us upon arrival that we were the only ones there for dinner. My first thought at that was "Gee, this is how horror movies start out. The location is several miles down a long dark windy deserted road, we arrive after dark, a nice old lady is in charge of the old house built in the 1930's, we're the only ones there for dinner, and they're going to drug us and harvest our organs or something." The only elements missing were the rain, thunder, and lightning. But maybe I was a cop for too long. And our organs are probably too old to be any good to anyone else anyway.

But seeing the photos on the web site I threw the camera and tripod in the back seat and when told we were the only ones there I brought the camera in and put it on the tripod and tripped the shutter with the remote. Got a few nice photos out of it. The chef, who has been there since 1986, came out to ask how the meal was. We told her "excellent", which it was.

DW liked the dinner.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #9156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

...What a surprise when the maître d informed us upon arrival that we were the only ones there for dinner. My first thought at that was "Gee, this is how horror movies start out. The location is several miles down a long dark windy deserted road, we arrive after dark, a nice old lady is in charge of the old house built in the 1930's, we're the only ones there for dinner, and they're going to drug us and harvest our organs or something." The only elements missing were the rain, thunder, and lightning. But maybe I was a cop for too long. And our organs are probably too old to be any good to anyone else anyway.
Was there entertainment?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #9157

Worked on a client, laundry, waiting for the counter guy to come and measure for the countertop....pick up bf's son then chinese buffet for dinner **YUM**
Old 12-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #9158

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Warning most people are worse at multitasking than they think.
Absolutely true.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #9159

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Worked on a client, laundry, waiting for the counter guy to come and measure for the countertop....pick up bf's son then chinese buffet for dinner **YUM**
I presume the "YUM" is for the chinese buffet versus the BF's son...
Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #9160
Give me a forum ...

I finished our 2011 Christmas Video. I wasn't going to do one this year, but then I thought of a funny intro for it. I'll post it here after some proofing.