Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #9241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Citrine, congratulations! How wonderful!
+1 How very engaging!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #9242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was up early and as long as I was up, I watched the moon being eclipsed. But, this being the Seattle area, I couldn't see the moon recover from the eclipse because of the clouds!

-- Rita
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4667e.jpg (379.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4675e.jpg (230.2 KB, 1 views)

Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #9243

Congratulations Citrine!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #9244
Moderator Emeritus

Got a visit from the police, and entertained them on our property for over 20 minutes.

It turns out that Oahu's finest feels they've stamped out cockfighting in Waianae and on the North Shore, so they've turned their attention to our neighborhood. It's gotten so loud on weekends at the local "exotic rooster breeding farm" that you can hear the shouting & cheering through our new insulated windows.

Sounds like a small-town scandal, but the reality is that the police don't really care about cockfighting until organized crime & drugs move into the picture. So it's not just about animal cruelty but rather about gangs.

Unfortunately our property looks down upon this spectacle, although the participants have arranged a canopy within a grove of trees. Kinda hard to get a good surveillance photo from above or on a slant.

I guess the police will be back to gather more evidence before swooping in to stop it. Maybe they'll finally do something about the unpermitted breeding operation as well, and it'll get a little quieter down there without a couple hundred roosters crowing. But I just hope there are no photos introduced as evidence that would cause vengeful indicted fowl enthusiasts to visit our property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Turns out spanners in the UK are what we call wrenches here.
"Spanners" are one of many types of wrenches, and submariner mechanics had an amazing variety of them to play with choose from.

But ask an electrician for a set of diagonal cutting pliers and they'll have no idea what you're talking about... until you tell them to look in the dikes drawer.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #9245
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But I just hope there are no photos introduced as evidence that would cause vengeful indicted fowl enthusiasts to visit our property.
Ask the cops if they will 'flip the negative' so it will appear the shot came from the other side of the valley.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #9246
Administrator

Quote:
Sounds like a small-town scandal, but the reality is that the police don't really care about cockfighting until organized crime & drugs move into the picture. So it's not just about animal cruelty but rather about gangs.
There should be plenty of organized crime & drugs associated with it, I would imagine. Cockfighting was rampant when I lived there, too, and at that time it was not only gruesome but also attracted a pretty rough crowd.

How exciting that they are going to photograph from your property! It's sort of like having an episode of "Law and Order" in real life, right there in your house.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #9247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It turns out that Oahu's finest feels they've stamped out cockfighting in Waianae and on the North Shore, so they've turned their attention to our neighborhood. It's gotten so loud on weekends at the local "exotic rooster breeding farm" that you can hear the shouting & cheering through our new insulated windows.

Good grief! It never ceases to amaze me what people do for what they consider "entertainment". I also stopped watching boxing matches on TV many, many years ago, when I realized how senseless it was.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #9248
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ask the cops if they will 'flip the negative' so it will appear the shot came from the other side of the valley.
I'd like to (politely) persuade them to move over to the sewage booster station next door where they can camp out all they want. (Free public toilets, too!) Otherwise I'm just hoping that the criminals aren't mastermind imagery analysts.

I used to wonder if we should lock our shed to keep the neighborhood kids from hanging out there for sex/drugs/rock&roll. Now I think it might be a good idea to claim that anyone can get in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
There should be plenty of organized crime & drugs associated with it, I would imagine. Cockfighting was rampant when I lived there, too, and at that time it was not only gruesome but also attracted a pretty rough crowd.
How exciting that they are going to photograph from your property! It's sort of like having an episode of "Law and Order" in real life, right there in your house.
Plenty of bribery & corruption in the police department over this "cultural practice", too. Just because a police officer shows up on your property with a badge to investigate cockfighting doesn't mean he's on your side and against the cockfighting group. He might only be showing the cockfighters why they need to pay him more money to take care of them.

Most of the occupants of that property are running unpermitted/illegal businesses. For some reason the Department of Planning & Permitting has never managed to get around to doing something about it. But the police certainly don't have a monopoly on corruption.

This is one form of excitement that I hope to do without. And indeed, they police may just be using the cockfighting to start tracking these people as they move on to bigger activities, so they might not want to disrupt their "incubator".

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #9249
Give me a forum ...

Book "em, Danno!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #9250

Quote:
But ask an electrician for a set of diagonal cutting pliers and they'll have no idea what you're talking about... until you tell them to look in the dikes drawer.
Had to think about that one for a moment. You hear all kinds of stories about submarine life. Then, noticed it's spelled differently and no apostrophe. Sorry, 'bout that.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #9251

Woke up early this AM (at least, quite early for me) to the sound of... applause outside the window. Applause! What the heck? I looked outside to see the leaders of the Honolulu Marathon jogging by. Several neighbors were gathered on the street to cheer the folks on. They kept at it even when it was only the "also ran" crowd. By 10:30, when we left the house, there was a steady stream of folks running by and the applause had ceased. I suppose hands got tired after a while. Returning home at 3:00PM there were still some stragglers trudging by (not in front of the house but further down the course).

I recall being in Waikiki one year following the Marathon, watching participants doing "tourist stuff", still wearing their ID numbers. Talk about some zoned-out people. My guess is their glycogen levels were off-the-chart low and they were walking on autopilot. Sorry. Not something I would have ever tried, but I gotta admire those who do. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #9252

Today was medical day for DH and I. My first appt was at a hospital to have an ultrasound of my thyroid. Second appt was for my mammogram and DH had an appt with his doctor. Then we met back up and went to get our shingles shots together. I think that I am good to go on my medical appts now. Keeping my fingers crossed that the ultrasound on my thyroid turns out good. My doctor said that it is probably nothing, but would help her sleep better at night to have the ultrasound done. I really like my doctor and would not want to interfere with her sleep, so I had it done.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #9253
Moderator Emeritus

Yardwork. For over two hours.

After that I dug up a leaky sprinkler valve and got ready to replace it. I'd bought the parts weeks ago and had everything laid out at the site.

That's when I realized that I'd bought a 3/4" valve for a 1" pipe.

The good news? I didn't paint today!

Our daughter returns home tomorrow afternoon for a three-week surfing break...

Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #9254
Full time employment: Posting here.

3 loads of laundry, cleaned out litter boxes, picked up the house, one client, then writing out christmas cards....not even 9:30am yet!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #9255
Give me a forum ...

This is a true story.

As a result of reading this post, and this post, and then myself joking about it here, I had the baddest dream this morning.

In my dream, I was walking in between buildings of my former megacorp, when I noticed people looking strangely at me. And, then, I realized, well you guessed it, I was stark naked!

And I did not even have anything in my hand to cover myself like T-Al here.

So, all I could do was to cover, umm... myself with my hands, acted cool, and tried to walk quickly into a building. I remembered asking myself what I should do next after entering the building, when I woke up.

OMG! I may have to stop spending so much time in this forum. All this is getting to me!!!

PS. How did W2R hypothesize that 50% of forum posters had no pants on when posting? 50%!!! I would never guess that high.

Could it be that ER.org website manages to download a webcam take-over virus onto members' PC? Or she has some other statistics or info that she's not sharing? Or could it be simply that about 50% of forum posters are ER'ed, with the remaining still working, and as ReWahoo wrote, the ER'ers do not need no stinkin' pants?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #9256
Administrator

How did I guess? Hmmm.... I wonder.....

- - H. Melville, 1851
The cleaning lady and the plumber.....
Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #9257
Give me a forum ...

The cleaning lady and the plumber.....

This was yesterday, because unlike most of you I still have a j*b.

Came home to a sparkling clean demesne as the cleaning lady had been. She left a note on the kitchen counter: "I'm really sorry. I dropped a rag in the toilet and I couldn't get it out. It's flushing really slowly."

Enter the plumber. Luckily the Shop Vac worked; otherwise he would have had to lift the toilet. $160 later......the cleaning company will be reimbursing me.

Well, at least the cleaning lady disclosed the error.....

I am thinking maybe it would be easier to do this myself than to clean up after such a cleaning lady!!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #9258
Give me a forum ...

I was walking into my grocery store when I saw a sign for donating blood so I did . Thanks Khan you are a good influence !
Old 12-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #9259
Give me a forum ...

I sat in the living room watching the rain fall and Mr B catch some well deserved rest. He is done with school for 4 weeks. He is pretty sure he will get all A's for the 4 courses he took.
I am VERY PROUD of him.

I am going through my xmas decorations boxes. I am giving away some lights, a fake 4' tree and some fake pine branches, a small garland, some glass bulbs I handpainted years ago but do not need with a smaller tree, etc etc.
I will drop them off to a friend who is a bit down on his luck financially. He was injured in an auto accident several months ago and still cannot return to w*rk. His disability claim is in limbo. His ex-GF took all his xmas decorations when they broke up. How mean.
So I am playing Elf and setting him up with some basic stuff so he can have a nice little tree at his house.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #9260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
......"I'm really sorry. I dropped a rag in the toilet and I couldn't get it out. It's flushing really slowly."...............
I sympathize. I once did the same thing, forgetting that the rag was in the bottom of the bucket. The rag lodged in the pipe going into my septic tank, essentially shutting down the whole house until I removed the toilet and got a snake run down the pipe.