Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #9261
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I sat in the living room watching the rain fall and Mr B catch some well deserved rest. He is done with school for 4 weeks. He is pretty sure he will get all A's for the 4 courses he took.
I am VERY PROUD of him.

I am going through my xmas decorations boxes. I am giving away some lights, a fake 4' tree and some fake pine branches, a small garland, some glass bulbs I handpainted years ago but do not need with a smaller tree, etc etc.
I will drop them off to a friend who is a bit down on his luck financially. He was injured in an auto accident several months ago and still cannot return to w*rk. His disability claim is in limbo. His ex-GF took all his xmas decorations when they broke up. How mean.
So I am playing Elf and setting him up with some basic stuff so he can have a nice little tree at his house.
What a very nice thing to do.

Gave the dog a bath today, thats about the only productive thing I've done.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #9262
Dryer sheet aficionado

Now that I am officially off the crutches and released from further visits to my orthopedic surgeon, I have started going to the gym again. The first week was painful, but I like the activity now. Have been doing 30 to 40 minutes on the recumbent bike and then another 20 to 30 minutes on the elliptical. That machine is a killer, but both are low impact on the ankle.

My other new hobby is cleaning up around the house and posting stuff on Craig's List. Have unloaded about 5 items so far.😄😄

Time to take out the trash an then get the grill ready to cook some hamburgers.

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #9263
Confused about dryer sheets

I am in the jospiyal with my husband. He needs a transfusion. Not one of my best days.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #9264
Moderator Emeritus

DotLeib, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that your husband is not well. When you have the time, I would encourage you to post an introduction in the "Hi, I am..." section, so that others here can get to know you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #9265
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took DD to the airport for her vacation to Germany, then DW and I went to Costco, then home. Did a bit of holiday shopping online. Easy day.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #9266
Moderator Emeritus

I tried to consolidate my United and Continental frequent-flyer accounts.

45 minutes on hold with the Continental "customer service" line. The truth is that I thought I'd hung up after listening to the 30-second ad loop a few times, and I didn't discover my presbyopic mistake for another 43 minutes.

After swapping e-mail, we're now at the point where they want me to snail-mail them scans of my IDs. Continental's had my name wrong in the system for over 15 years, but not until now do they actually give a crap.

Only 25K miles in the Continental account and only 42K in the United one, but I'm pretty sure that if I don't take care of this now then they'll both make me miserable the next time I try to fly.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #9267
Moderator Emeritus

Due to an unexpected turn of events, DW and I learned today that we might become West Coast residents.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #9268
Give me a forum ...

Where are you goin'? Looks like a career move for DW. May be time for you to get a change of scenery from 'bama anyway.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #9269
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Where are you goin'? Looks like a career move for DW. May be time for you to get a change of scenery from 'bama anyway.
I'll say more if/when it becomes official. We haven't made a decision yet.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #9270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I tried to consolidate my United and Continental frequent-flyer accounts.

45 minutes on hold with the Continental "customer service" line. The truth is that I thought I'd hung up after listening to the 30-second ad loop a few times, and I didn't discover my presbyopic mistake for another 43 minutes.

After swapping e-mail, we're now at the point where they want me to snail-mail them scans of my IDs. Continental's had my name wrong in the system for over 15 years, but not until now do they actually give a crap.

Only 25K miles in the Continental account and only 42K in the United one, but I'm pretty sure that if I don't take care of this now then they'll both make me miserable the next time I try to fly.
They are really effed up. I fly all the time on Continental/United and I have to call them once a month and make them credit me (flight by flight) for the miles I earned. I would switch to Frontier, but my estimation is that they will not be around for the long haul.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #9271
Give me a forum ...

Flew home last night and walked in the door after 10. So ends a period where I have been on the road 6 out of the last 7 weeks. Ugh. Now I get to avoid travel for the next month and then the travel schedule should be a lot lighter/more sporadic.

Today I took the kids to school and did the housework that always seems to be waiting for me upon my return from a trip. Will go pick up my new revolver later on and DW and I will assemble our new kitchen table this afternoon. Tonight will be homemade pizza night with the kids and a lot of today will be a bit of recovery from all the travel. I cannot express how much better I feel with blue skies and lots of sunshine (no matter how cold it is) vs. Midwestern grey all the time ad working in a windowless room all day.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 12-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #9272
Give me a forum ...

Finished up the holiday letter that we send out to friends and family. Decided to go green and send it by email where possible so I had to update the holiday card list with email addresses. Refilled the log carrier by the house from the wood pile out back.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #9273
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I spent the day with my DH, DD, DS-in-law and precious 3 yr old granddaughter from San Diego CA. They rang the doorbell about 10:15 PM last night. They had told us that they were going to try to come home (WV) in Jan and we could celebrate Christmas then. They have known they were coming home for Christmas since October. Best Christmas surprise that I have ever had in my life. I had not seen them since beginning of 07/11 and it has been such a long 5 months. They are over visiting the other grandparents now and I can't wait for tomorrow, so that we can play again. They are home until 12/28, so life is good. Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #9274
Moderator Emeritus

Lawyer work for Monday's probate court hearing for my father's conservatorship/guardianship. The good news is that I can dial in for the hearing. The better news is that we're almost across the finish line.

Our daughter's home from college, but the only way we can really tell is by the dirty laundry & personal electronics scattered in her wake. She's catching up with friends and we're hosting them for dinner tomorrow. That should be fun-- one of them is an ensign (NROTC grad three months ago) aboard the USS HOPPER, a BURKE-class destroyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Due to an unexpected turn of events, DW and I learned today that we might become West Coast residents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I'll say more if/when it becomes official. We haven't made a decision yet.
This sounds like every conversation that spouse and I ever had with the military's assignment officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Will go pick up my new revolver later on and DW and I will assemble our new kitchen table this afternoon.
That should be interesting. I figure most homeowners use a pair of pliers, maybe a wrench or a screwdriver...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #9275
Give me a forum ...

Got this note in the tip jar last night:

As I was unfolding it, I was wondering whether it would be a phone number.

But it is indeed the thought that counts. Very nice gig.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #9276
Full time employment: Posting here.

The 2 consecutive visits from house guests have left. So, it is cleaning day and finally back to routine. How I do love my routine! So, woke up late around 9.30 am - very uncharacteristic of me but I must be really tired. Went for my regular gym (how I miss it!) and house cleaning now (thankfully, the hourly helper is doing it and I do the other things like changing bedsheets, laundry, etc). Cooked lunch and will be cooking dinner ( the recent eating outs are just too much to bear for my health and purse). So, trying to make it a real quiet week before Christmas and New Year comes with all the celebrations and eating out!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #9277
Give me a forum ...

Finished my wrapping using only used paper from last year's presents. I'm sure this will turn the tide on that climate change thing.

LouisCKWrapping.jpg

BTW, Louis CK decided to self-publish his latest DVD, just selling it on his web site, LouisCK.com for $5, instead of the normal route, in which he'd get only a small portion of the higher sales price.

ChristmasTree.jpg
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #9278
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Finished my wrapping using only used paper from last year's presents. I'm sure this will turn the tide on that climate change thing.
Nah, doesn't work. My family has been doing that since the 1950's (that I can remember, probably since forever really). The powers that be still continued to pave paradise and put up a parking lot.

Nice tree!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #9279
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've been shopping.....now I remember why I do most of my Christmas shopping online.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #9280
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back at the gym after three days of missing it due to a cold. So good to be back.

Now, some house cleaning (not too bad with a 1700 square foot condo).

Then dinner: smokey tempeh stew with Swiss chard. After dinner, will finish the last two episodes of the Dexter DVD we have out from Netflix.