Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #9281
Moderator Emeritus

Sitting here restlessly shuffling papers and taking notes while awaiting the start of my father's conservator/guardian court hearing. The times, locations, and conference-call phone numbers have only changed twice in the last week.

75 minutes to go before we begin something that's taken over nine months and $10K to arrange.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #9282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Sitting here restlessly shuffling papers and taking notes while awaiting the start of my father's conservator/guardian court hearing. The times, locations, and conference-call phone numbers have only changed twice in the last week.

75 minutes to go before we begin something that's taken over nine months and $10K to arrange.
Hang in there. Hopefully it is done by the end of the day.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #9283
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Skated magnificently for 2 hrs. Then gliding to the rink exit, 10 feet away, fell. Gracefully. At least I think so.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #9284
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hang in there. Hopefully it is done by the end of the day.
The judge agrees that I'm a conservator.

Or at least they're promising to send me a letter of appointment.

The good news is that I spent longer on hold (waiting for the show to start) than we did listening to the judge. Otherwise it was the type of court bureaucracy organized by The Three Stooges.

The probate judge congratulated Dad for having a son who was actually qualified to be a conservator. I hate to think of what the judge has to contend with in other hearings.

I'll update the geriatric financial management thread later. Gotta get ready to go to a friend's wedding. I'll be glad when this day is over.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #9285
Administrator

Terrific, Nords! One more difficult task out of the way. Sounds like clear sailing ahead.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #9286
Dryer sheet aficionado

W**ked out at club (chest day). Taught my first Zumba class, never thought I'd learn salsa dancing at my age.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #9287
Moderator Emeritus

Enjoyed a lovely wedding reception at the Halekulani. We arrived before sunset and, for the first time in my life, I actually saw the green flash. The perfect combination of elevation, calm seas, clear skies, and suitable atmospheric conditions.

Yes, I was sober. Maybe that explains it...

We had a nice time but I regretted not bringing a longboard.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #9288
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Enjoyed a lovely wedding reception at the Halekulani. We arrived before sunset and, for the first time in my life, I actually saw the green flash. The perfect combination of elevation, calm seas, clear skies, and suitable atmospheric conditions.

Yes, I was sober. Maybe that explains it...

We had a nice time but I regretted not bringing a longboard.
What a neat experience! I always heard about the green flash, but never saw it.

I remember the Halekulani from back in 1954, when we were tourists (before my family moved to the islands, when my father was first "scoping it out" with that in mind). It has probably changed a lot, although I have no idea. Back then, it was a series of small huts with a maze of winding tropical paths between them. We had our own hut. I also remember tables out by the water, where refreshments (for me) and drinks for the adults could be had while watching the surf. Haven't seen that hotel since that time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #9289
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you had a pleasant day Nords.

As for my day....I spilled tomato soup on my tee shirt.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #9290
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What a neat experience! I always heard about the green flash, but never saw it.
It was interesting. I've never read a technical explanation of it. It started as a pinpoint at the ocean horizon in the middle of the sun, and expanded up & out in an arc to the size & shape of the sun. It moved from a point to the edge of the sun's arc in about a second. And less than a minute later, the sun was down.

That pinpoint started out as red, and then quickly cycled through orange to yellow to green... just like the physics classes say it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I remember the Halekulani from back in 1954, when we were tourists (before my family moved to the islands, when my father was first "scoping it out" with that in mind). It has probably changed a lot, although I have no idea.
You wouldn't recognize the place. A 10-story stucco & terra cotta tower with smaller wings, huge open-air lobby, big grassy atrium for wedding photos. A spa, several high-end dining rooms, and a terrace for the reception.

They still have the beach tables (as in "there's a beach not too far away") with drinks & entertainment, though. Brook Lee was performing hula. Brook Lee - Official Website - Home

Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #9291
Give me a forum ...

I filled out my retirment papers. All I need is a few signatures from a witness or two, and I can mail them in.

Other than that, not much worth talking about.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #9292
Full time employment: Posting here.

Chilling in pj's, client at 4, hanging out with the bf and cats later
Old 12-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #9293

Bought DW a new car for Christmas. Now begins 4 days of hiding it from her.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #9294
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Bought DW a new car for Christmas. Now begins 4 days of hiding it from her.
That's a heckuva challenge, but we'd also like to hear about wrapping it and putting it under the tree...

Old 12-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #9295
Give me a forum ...

Took advantage of my Amazon Prime membership by watching episodes (free with membership) of the BBC sitcom "Coupling" to get some good chuckles.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #9296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
That's a heckuva challenge, but we'd also like to hear about wrapping it and putting it under the tree...
I thought about wrapping it, but under the tree will be tough since our tree is in the basement. I'm going to try to shoehorn it into my workshop.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #9297
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
It's a good idea W2R, but she wouldn't read it. She only responds to impending crisis and my near-constant badgering, which is stressful for me and not exactly great for our relationship either.

To her credit, she is trying very hard to change, and I have seen a small amount of improvement in the almost 4 years I have known her. Also, she doesn't blame other people for her problems; she knows that she is the one that needs to change.

It's hard for her to plan financially beyond each Friday when she gets paid. As long as she has a couple of hundred dollars in her bank account, she'll tell me she can afford things because she "has money", regardless of what the financial obligations are that she has to meet later in the month. Financially, we are polar opposites.

I like her a lot. She's sweet, and good company, but the fact that she hasn't grown-up with regards to the way she handles money means that there are definite limitations to how our relationship can progress in the future.
Can she have money taken out of her pay and put directly into some sort of savings (401k, savings account at an inconvenient bank, etc) so when she "has money" it is AFTER the savings have been made? In other words, pay herself first.

For a time with I was much younger, I used to walk to a bank that was a bit inconvenient for me to get to, make a deposit to savings and then deposit the remainder to the bank that I had my day-to-day savings and checking at because I knew myself and I knew that if it hit my regular accounts it would be spent. While it sounds a bit silly, it worked.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #9298
Give me a forum ...

Today I finished splitting firewood. I now have about 5.5 cords, and that should keep us heated through next year. All free.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #9299
Give me a forum ...

Working my my 2012 budget. Got a good part of it done, but waiting until end of December's numbers to massage my budget allotments for 2012.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #9300
Moderator Emeritus

Got a surprise Amazon.com gift card from The Dollar Stretcher for moderating their Military Family Finances discussion board.

Starving authors-- ha!

My daughter wants to spend it on college textbooks. That's probably gonna happen, but there'll also be a matching donation split between Wounded Warrior Project and Fisher House.

Closed Thread