Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #9301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Got a surprise Amazon.com gift card from The Dollar Stretcher for moderating their Military Family Finances discussion board.
Uh oh, that sounds dangerously close to w*rking for pay. Careful or you'll lose your amateur status.
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #9302
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Uh oh, that sounds dangerously close to w*rking for pay. Careful or you'll lose your amateur status.
I swear I'm giving it all away!

If you break down book sales by billing address for book-signing events then I'm probably still my own best customer...
__________________

__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline  
Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #9303
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Can she have money taken out of her pay and put directly into some sort of savings (401k, savings account at an inconvenient bank, etc) so when she "has money" it is AFTER the savings have been made? In other words, pay herself first.
She's had a savings account before and she just plunders it whenever the going gets a bit tough. Even if I could get her to open an IRA, I doubt whether I could get her to truly understand the advantages of tax-deferred growth. She would almost certainly take money out of it whenever she ran a bit low on funds. She is very math challenged, and has little in the way of a long-term perspective. For a fiscally conservative and frugal person such as myself, it's frustrating to stand by and watch her make a pig's ear out of her personal finances.

As much as I like her, I'm very glad I'm not living with her or married to her.

One of these days I might actually find a partner that I'm personally as well as financially compatible with, but I'm not holding my breath.
__________________
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline  
Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #9304
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Staggered through a day of work feeling progressively worse and starting to wonder if I am becoming a victim of seasonal affective disorder once again. By the time I got home I was seriously downhill and DW just clocked my temp at about 100F.

Update: and I just puked for the first time in years. Merry MFing Christmas.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #9305
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Staggered through a day of work feeling progressively worse and starting to wonder if I am becoming a victim of seasonal affective disorder once again. By the time I got home I was seriously downhill and DW just clocked my temp at about 100F.
Pour up a stiff one. That should do the job.

Played golf today. Temps in the mid 60's and mostly sunny. Not bad for a pre-winter day. Rain tomorrow though.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #9306
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Bought DW a new car for Christmas. Now begins 4 days of hiding it from her.
Wow ! What a great gift ! Your wife will be sooooooooo happy !
__________________
Moemg is offline  
Old 12-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #9307
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Sounds like you had a pleasant day Nords.

As for my day....I spilled tomato soup on my tee shirt.
If it was white, you could always film a home horror movie before you dug out the Resolve..........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline  
Old 12-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #9308
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Wow ! What a great gift ! Your wife will be sooooooooo happy !
She has no clue. This morning she told me that she would like to get her car (the rustbucket) painted. I told her I'd check into it.
__________________
Ronstar is online now  
Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #9309
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,453
Oohhh! Your wife will be so happy!

I admit that I never rarely knew how to surprise my wife like that, but when we bought the new car for her, when we went to the dealer, my wife said perhaps she could be happy with a "new" used car, a lease return just 2-3 year old. I said, no we wanted a new car because we would keep it a long time and wanted to be sure it would be a good car. For a few days afterwards, my wife had buyer's remorse, but I said, heck we had money, and she deserved it.

See, I am not always the grinch I often portray myself to be.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now  
Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #9310
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
She has no clue. This morning she told me that she would like to get her car (the rustbucket) painted. I told her I'd check into it.
Oh no, you've made an epic mistake!
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline  
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #9311
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
She has no clue. This morning she told me that she would like to get her car (the rustbucket) painted. I told her I'd check into it.
Good to see someone helping the economy, but on the other hand, your making the rest of us look like Christmas slackers
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline  
Old 12-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #9312
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
If it was white, you could always film a home horror movie before you dug out the Resolve..........


As a matter of fact, it was white. Damn....coulda made millions I tell you!
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline  
Old 12-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #9313
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,490
W*rked in the morning (tomorrow is technically my last day!!! but I already know that wrap up work on some projects will slop over into my January "vacation").

Took a walk with DW and DS in the afternoon, sanded and painted a metal railing I have been working on, filled the wood bin in preparation for a snowstorm tomorrow and surfed on early-retirement.org.
__________________
pb4uski is offline  
Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #9314
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,373
The car saga continues. Yesterday I hid the car at work and came home. I had SIL bring me to work this morning after DW left for work. I intended to drive the car home and put it my detached workshop before DW came home. But DW left work early and called me at work when she was about 5 minutes from home. I had to think of an excuse why she would find my truck at home but not me. I explained that my truck would not start (false), that her sister gave me a ride to work (true), and that Eric from work was driving me home (false).

I started driving the new car home, and I called her mother and asked that she call and distract DW when I was driving up the driveway. That worked fine until I saw DW looking out the front door talking on the phone as I pulled up the drive.

We have a side load garage, so I pulled the car to the side of the house where she couldn't see me. Her mom asked her to search something on the internet, so DW went to the basement to the computer, and I sneaked the car into my workshop.

I came in as DW was finishing talking with her mom. I told her I needed to jump start my truck, so I faked jump-starting my truck and came back inside. Then DW said that she saw Eric drop me off and wondered if he knew his way home.

All is well. The surprise lives on.
__________________
Ronstar is online now  
Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #9315
Full time employment: Posting here.
Coolius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The car saga continues. Yesterday I hid the car at work and came home. I had SIL bring me to work this morning after DW left for work. I intended to drive the car home and put it my detached workshop before DW came home. But DW left work early and called me at work when she was about 5 minutes from home. I had to think of an excuse why she would find my truck at home but not me. I explained that my truck would not start (false), that her sister gave me a ride to work (true), and that Eric from work was driving me home (false).

I started driving the new car home, and I called her mother and asked that she call and distract DW when I was driving up the driveway. That worked fine until I saw DW looking out the front door talking on the phone as I pulled up the drive.

We have a side load garage, so I pulled the car to the side of the house where she couldn't see me. Her mom asked her to search something on the internet, so DW went to the basement to the computer, and I sneaked the car into my workshop.

I came in as DW was finishing talking with her mom. I told her I needed to jump start my truck, so I faked jump-starting my truck and came back inside. Then DW said that she saw Eric drop me off and wondered if he knew his way home.

All is well. The surprise lives on.


Well, you better tell Eric not to call you or visit you before the gift is presented.

If Eric decides to drop in unexpectedly, your DW could say:

DW: hey Eric, I saw you dropping off Ron the other day in your new Ferrari. Lovely car!"

Eric: er...er...what car? I don't own no Ferrari!

DW: It's gotta be his GF!! Eric, thanks, I'll take care of this from here on.....


__________________
Coolius is offline  
Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #9316
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Well, you better tell Eric not to call you or visit you before the gift is presented.

If Eric decides to drop in unexpectedly, your DW could say:

DW: hey Eric, I saw you dropping off Ron the other day in your new Ferrari. Lovely car!"

Eric: er...er...what car? I don't own no Ferrari!

DW: It's gotta be his GF!! Eric, thanks, I'll take care of this from here on.....


Yes - I will have to talk to Eric to get our stories straight. (Ferrari I wish) And as far as GF is concerned, some coworkers are wondering who the blonde was that dropped me off at work this morning.
__________________
Ronstar is online now  
Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #9317
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,164
Reminds me of the scene from Mystic Pizza where she fills his convertible with dead fish after seeing him out with his sister.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now  
Old 12-23-2011, 06:04 AM   #9318
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Romney, WV
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I filled out my retirment papers. All I need is a few signatures from a witness or two, and I can mail them in.

Other than that, not much worth talking about.
I'd say that's a pretty big thing to talk about! Congratulations, when will you retire?
__________________
davemartin88 is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #9319
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,492
We drove down to Fl and will remain 'til the cold weather moves on back north. A difficult drive, with very vivid memories of a close family member that passed this year. Also our first trip without our companion Shiba.
__________________
MichaelB is offline  
Old 12-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #9320
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Huston55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yes - I will have to talk to Eric to get our stories straight. (Ferrari I wish) And as far as GF is concerned, some coworkers are wondering who the blonde was that dropped me off at work this morning.
We're all hoping you're successful in your stealthy endeavor; my DW thinks it's cute. But, I'm thinking that one (your DW?) could infer (after high-pitched squeal of joy and hug upon receiving car ) that you could use these stealthy abilities for less noble, ummmmm, endeavors. Women are, well, more intuitive than we are.

Well, we can't have that reaction! So, I'm thinking that maybe the prophylactic for that is "gift with a 'happy ending' " Don't want to get too personal but....I'm jus' saying. That usually works for on me.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
__________________

__________________
You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did 2008-09 Results Help You Now? Idnar7 FIRE and Money 42 10-27-2015 10:10 AM
California Munis Closed End Funds tanked today, why? Disappointed FIRE and Money 10 01-20-2008 07:15 PM
Did you retire or Did you quit GTM Life after FIRE 19 03-09-2006 02:06 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.