Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #9321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ronstar, I think I'm enjoying your wife's surprise maybe even more that your wife!! Love your sneaky ways for her surprise!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #9322

Hiding a car is a good trick. I thought I was being clever hiding a new La-Z-Boy recliner in the small workshop at the old house.

Covered it with a drop cloth and piled some tools and misc. model airplane stuff around it and DW never suspected.

Ya got me beat hiding a car though.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #9323
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Good to see someone helping the economy, but on the other hand, your making the rest of us look like Christmas slackers
Slacker?? I just finished with my elaborate Christmas light installation!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xmas lights.jpg (31.3 KB, 5 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #9324

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Slacker?? I just finished with my elaborate Christmas light installation!
LOL, I'm the farthest one could get from Clark Griswald, this is more up to my standards. Good job
Old 12-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #9325
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Ronstar, I think I'm enjoying your wife's surprise maybe even more that your wife!! Love your sneaky ways for her surprise!
No kidding! A couple of years ago we hid a car in plain sight in our driveway for a friend who had bought it for his wife (of course she's so clueless he could have parked it in his own driveway and she wouldn't have noticed), and we had such fun anticipating how surprised she would be!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #9326
Moderator Emeritus

A friend of ours has been planning a party for the last month, and we Ohana Nords are among the 75 people who are coming.

He recently found out that his home is inside the Secret Service security perimeter around the home where the Obamas are spending the holidays. The good news is that our cars will have special high-security dedicated parking. I told my daughter that the "other" news is the Secret Service shoots the driver first.

Just to make things more interesting, the motorcade might be heading up over the Ko'olau at about the same time we were planning to make the trip. So now we'll have to keep an eye on the news today, and our attendance might not happen after all.

Talk about your high-stress socializing.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #9327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
A friend of ours has been planning a party for the last month, and we Ohana Nords are among the 75 people who are coming.

He recently found out that his home is inside the Secret Service security perimeter around the home where the Obamas are spending the holidays. The good news is that our cars will have special high-security dedicated parking. I told my daughter that the "other" news is the Secret Service shoots the driver first.

Just to make things more interesting, the motorcade might be heading up over the Ko'olau at about the same time we were planning to make the trip. So now we'll have to keep an eye on the news today, and our attendance might not happen after all.

Talk about your high-stress socializing.
Kinda goes against everything else we've heard about the kickback lifestyle in Hawaii.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #9328

Off today, the first of 17 straight days off! Well, I hope they're not ALL straight; hope to get in at least a little partying around the New Year. DW and I, and a friend, are taking a long cruise to the Caribbean. Very much looking forward to it; warm relaxing days in the sun and clear blue water.

That's a long time off for me. Maybe with a little planning, I can turn it into a mini-RE exercise. NAW, too much w*rk!
Old 12-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #9329

Another day, another near disaster. DW has the day off. I go to work. I get a call on my cell from the car dealership stating that they screwed up the car paperwork. All paperwork was printed with the wrong VIN, and the plates are for a different car. They wanted me to bring the car and paperwork in to swap plates and redo paperwork. I said that there was no way I could do that - DW would see me come home from work early and take off out of my workshop in the car, or see me when I came home from the dealer.

I knew DW would leave soon to get groceries. She called from the road and I asked when she thought she would get home. She wouldn't be home for a couple of hours, so I called the salesman, telling him that I would go home and get the plates and paperwork and for him to meet me at my office.

DW calls me again while I'm at home getting the plates, saying that she's near my office and that we should go to lunch. I tell her that I'm on a field inspection and that I can't make it - she's not happy. I get the plates and paperwork and go back to work where I make the swap with the salesman, and then go home.

The new car is a mess from driving it home in the rain yesterday, and SIL and MIL are hinting that I need to wash it before giving it to DW. The problem is that I have less than 6" in front and back of the car in my detached workshop with the garage door closed. So I'll need to open the garage door and move it to put the new plates on and wash it, and then return it to the workshop. That will be tomorrow's challenge - pulling off the car wash and plate installation without her knowing it. And I don't think she's leaving the house.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #9330
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ask your MIL or SIL to call DW and request help for doing something in their home - maybe prepare a dessert dish, or decorate the place, etc. Anything just to get her out of the house for the few hours it'll take you to wash the car and put on the new plates.

I'm sure she'll be delighted and surprised!!

Since I am on RE status now, we are far more aware of, and sensitive to, our limited resources ( with no regular income flow ), so DW is quite against any large ticket purchases.

We agreed not to give each other gifts for Christmas, but just have a great meal and enjoy the company of our son & daughter ( both grown and living away from home ). Which we will.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #9331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Ask your MIL or SIL to call DW and request help for doing something in their home - maybe prepare a dessert dish, or decorate the place, etc. Anything just to get her out of the house for the few hours it'll take you to wash the car and put on the new plates.

I'm sure she'll be delighted and surprised!!

Since I am on RE status now, we are far more aware of, and sensitive to, our limited resources ( with no regular income flow ), so DW is quite against any large ticket purchases.

We agreed not to give each other gifts for Christmas, but just have a great meal and enjoy the company of our son & daughter ( both grown and living away from home ). Which we will.
I like the "ask MIL or SIL" advice. I'm getting tired of the close calls. I here what you're saying about large ticket items in RE. Our plan was to buy new vehicles before we retired. My truck is 2.5 years old. She now has a new car. DW is eligible for retirement at work. I'm ready to go from 3.5 days a week to 2.5 or less.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #9332
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Kinda goes against everything else we've heard about the kickback lifestyle in Hawaii.
I'm pretty sure they'll be wearing aloha shirts over their Glocks...

Last year the beach crowd was whining & complaining pretty fiercely about the security zone in the water and on the beach. It might be the reason why they're renting a different house this year. OTOH the Coast Guard is probably going to have to anchor a cutter up there for the holidays.

He also plays basketball each morning on the Marine base. I can just hear the gunny sergeant: "Awright, guys, I need five volunteers to lose to our Commander in Chief tomorrow-- you, you, you, you, and of course, I really don't like you either!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #9333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
He also plays basketball each morning on the Marine base. I can just hear the gunny sergeant: "Awright, guys, I need five volunteers to lose to our Commander in Chief tomorrow-- you, you, you, you, and of course, I really don't like you either!"
I don't know...I hear POTUS has game.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #9334

Ronstar, I'm enjoying your escapade of keeping the car hidden from DW! This is a long topic and I don't want to go back too far. Did you post what kind of car you bought for her?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #9335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Ronstar, I'm enjoying your escapade of keeping the car hidden from DW! This is a long topic and I don't want to go back too far. Did you post what kind of car you bought for her?
Yes, I'm enjoying it too. Am looking forward to the next installment.....
Old 12-24-2011, 04:19 AM   #9336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Its an Acura TL. Going to replace her 2000 Acura. They look very similar from the front. She may not notice the difference when I swap them in the garage.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #9337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Its an Acura TL. Going to replace her 2000 Acura. They look very similar from the front. She may not notice the difference when I swap them in the garage.
Nice...
Old 12-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #9338
Give me a forum ...

(yesterday actually) Went downhill skiing as we had some FREE vouchers that would expire. It was stormy, hard to see at the top of the mountain but visibility got better as we came down. Conditions were good but with little natural snow very few trails were open. Boy, am I out of skiing shape - something to address in retirement.

Went home, had a quick dinner and then drove to the airport to pick up DD who was coming in for the holidays from a vacation in Germany. She was wired and in "chatty Kathy" mode so we had a pleasant drive back home.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #9339
Give me a forum ...

I'd say don't make any extra effort to wash the car.

This a good "Oh what a tangled web" lesson. Imagine what it would be like having an affair.

P.S. I didn't mean to imply that it was bad to make it a surprise.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #9340

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'd say don't make any extra effort to wash the car.

This a good "Oh what a tangled web" lesson. Imagine what it would be like having an affair.

More expensive than a new car.