Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #921
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Worked at the court, went to Target and bought some "paint" for my lips. Came home, checked the forum, took a nap and dreamed about Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs guy). Woke up, Mike wasn't here so I got out of bed and now I'm trying to figure out what to do the rest of the day.
Probably in this episode.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #922
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dawg54,

Congrats on the good golf day....and no banging the head against a brick wall. I hope there's more to come!

Dog

Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #923
Give me a forum ...

No, not that one, but I can tell you some birds were involved.....
Old 03-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #924
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
and dreamed about Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs guy).
Dirty job, bad job, whatever...

Bad Job.jpg
Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #925

Went for an 80-mile motorcycle ride. Temps in the high 30's/low 40's, combined with heavy thermals, Tourmaster insulated riding gear, insulated boots/gloves with toe and hand warmers inside, I was surprisingly comfortable. Only my fingertips got cold, and a few minutes at at time holding them on the engine fins (with gloves on of course!) warmed them up.

So if in cold weather you see a motorcycle rider kneeling beside the bike with his hands on the engine, he's not Feeling The Force, doing a Vulcan Mind Meld, or praying. He's thawing out.

Didn't go anywhere in particular, still getting the feel of the bike and I'm almost comfortable on it.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #926
Give me a forum ...

Walked to the park to see what was blooming. Not much yet, some crocuses is all.

Ha
Old 03-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #927
Give me a forum ...

Wed - Called for free replacement part for dripping shower/tub. Sold just enough TE muni MF shares to pay for airline tickets and balance due for summer cruise.
Got out and picked up doggie's Rx for epilepsy and shopped at dollar store. Bought some seeds for onions, lettuce, radishes.
Lunch -chinese buffet with the usual group. New item was very fresh green pea pods, lightly sauteed in a garlic sauce. Hung out and talked to my "adopted brother" for 3 hours.
Today - "scheduled" total goof off day.
Researched pet insurance online - what a rip-off that whole deal is.
Plan to start reading Hebeler's retirement book.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #928
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Early workout, sauna, shower, Went for breakfest, charmed the waitresses ( gets good results, tips are not always enough) Fidlle on this board. Soon as it gets above 40 F, (now 25) I'll be outside.

Edit add:
This afternoon decided that there will be no more significant snow before spring time. Removed snow tires from the Jag, put on high traction summer shoes. Next few days weather guessers estimate sixties.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #929
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Plan to start reading Hebeler's retirement book.
Excellent book. I reviewed it on here a few years back. His ideas were disdained. I would expect that they might get much more respect now.

Ha
Old 03-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #930
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Excellent book. I reviewed it on here a few years back. His ideas were disdained. I would expect that they might get much more respect now.

Ha
"Getting Started in a Financially Secure Retirement" is the title.
The 2007 copyright date tells me I am in for some very interesting reading, in terms of what happened in 2008 and to present.
I didn't get started on it yet. I have to have the right mindset to start a book, because I tend to read it cover to cover in one long session. As in devour. Maybe tomorrow...
I like the sound of "disdained ideas". If I had a dollar for every local person who said I was nutz for my FIRE in spring 2007 and adopting a conservative stance that summer...
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #931
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
"Getting Started in a Financially Secure Retirement" is the title.
http://isbn.nu/9780470117781
Old 03-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #932

Today I am hanging out with my Mom and sister and we are gong to the Philadelphia Flower Show. I have got to get my pre-spring fix. After that we are going out for Italian food.

Last night my husband and I went to the Philly Orchestra and endured one of the worse concert we have heard in years. The musicians were fine as always. Both pieces of music sucked. Ya can't win them all.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #933
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Walked to the park to see what was blooming. Not much yet, some crocuses is all.

Ha
This was the lone bloom in a neighbor's yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4402.jpg (792.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #934
Moderator Emeritus

Listened to the chachalacas in the Rio Grande Valley. Biked. Birded. Sweated. Swam.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #935
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Martha, I envy you the swim!

Today I went to Target, thinking that I wanted to buy some lightweight black gauchos. Score! $15! Target is a fine store. Please go there and buy stuff.

Called my handyman to fix the bathroom fan. Not broken, just stuck. Fifteen minutes -- $25! But handyman was happy.

Collaborated with my realtor on marketing strategies. Another comparable condo in my neighborhood just came back on the market with a 15K reduction. Bummer! Reduced my price by 6K. Added more pics to the listing. We'll see.

Bought a nice Argentina Malbac for my son's birthday party on Sunday and an extra bottle just because. $25. Yum!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #936
Give me a forum ...

Tightening my belt-literally

I think as a man gets older if he is very thin and not really well dressed people must assume that he is having trouble getting enough food. I went into McDonalds and ordered a McDouble from the Dollar Menu.
THE young woman at the register saked me, "Are you sure? They aren't one dollar here." Oh, how much are they?"

""$1.39." "OK, I think I will have one anyway."

A little later I was down in the ID (Chinatown) and a guy came up to me and complained that since the recession started he can't find any butts to smoke. The OS (original smoker) is smoking the cigs too far down.

Things getting tougher than tough, things getting rougher than rough...

I was hungry again so I went into Japanese market Uwajimaya and bought some sashimi grade Manguro tuna and sat on a bench in the sun and ate it with my pocket knife.

I am a happy dude this afternoon, and I think it might get better as I have female companionship lined up for later.

Ha
Old 03-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #937
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I am a happy dude this afternoon, and I think it might get better as I have female companionship lined up for later.
We know you well enough to say with certainty that the latter explains the former...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #938
Give me a forum ...

I drove to the gym this morning but could not work up the energy to go in so I drove home . I decided to change my attitude about investments since they were making me crazy and I avoided all financial news . We went out for seafood . I had a great shrimp pasta and then we stopped at this bar out of the 1950's . It looked like it belonged in Disney World Polynesian Village . All in all an okay day !
Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #939

Took the day off from work today. Went out to our cottage on the lake (with my dog) to check things out (just a short drive). Still over a foot of snow on the ground, but it's melting fast now with the warmer weather. The the place looks fine. Did some measurements for some shelves I want to put up out there before the spring. Took a hike around with the dog and checked all the other places out (only 2 families live out there year round). Can't wait for the snow and ice to melt so we can get out there for the spring/summer.

Came back home and made a lunch to take to my wife (she's working today). Came back home, took another walk with the dog, and then cooked dinner (steaks on the grill, potato, big salad). Checked e-mail and the forum, and listening to some music now. Good day. Can't wait to retire (about 10 months to go), so I can have a lot of days like this.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #940
Give me a forum ...

dh2b watched Long John Silver's and Red Lobster commercials all week and couldn't stand it anymore.
The nearest LJS is 25 miles away. The nearest RL is 30 miles away. When I say I live in the boondocks, I'm not kidding.
We had lunch at LJS today. All is well.
He suggested RL tomorrow, emphasizing it was HIS TREAT.
I suggested we go to the local grocery store and buy 2 Maine lobster tails and jumbo shrimp instead for 1/3 the cost. Guess who won?