Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #9381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
One party down, one to go.
__________________

__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #9382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Been sick on and off for a week and a half now. So much for my vacation. Started a course of antibiotics this morning, partly out of desperation. A return to work is looming on Tuesday...
Sorry you've been sick brewer....and on your vacation...that sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Like Ha has said in a post, he once tried on a nice suit in a store and fell in love and wanted to kiss himself.
That's our Ha.

Speaking of rib ticklers, this is one of my favorite threads....


Kissing-Let's Hear It From The Ladies
__________________

__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline  
Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #9383
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Our daughter's been home from college for two weeks and flies back on Friday. She starts second semester sophomore year next Monday. Civil engineering with a specialty in hydrology under Professor Bedient, one of the nation's finest CE profs who was probably teaching that class when Noah was building the Ark Htown Harry was a sophomore. She's hanging tough with a 3.2 GPA, and that despite "C"s in physics, chemistry, & differential equations.

It's been a great two weeks, and we've really enjoyed bragging on hanging out with our young adult. However today the dam finally burst under the long-term pressure buildup and all the "I just can't take it anymore!!" angst came spilling out. The college version of Sunday Night Syndrome.

As is our custom, those outbursts are our cue to volley the ball of "What's the worst that could happen?" back & forth. We started with her new-found skills & experience in adversity, perseverance, time management, prioritizing, and work-life balance. We got all the way down to dropping out of NROTC, resigning from Rice, and coming home to U of Hawaii to study something liberal-artsy like history or Hawaiian Studies while managing shifts at Taco Bell. Either that or going to sea as an E-3 in Deck Div on an amphib.

Turns out Rice & NROTC ain't so bad after all, and she was "just" being a little hard on herself. Yes, she has learned that she's not one of Rice's freakishly brilliant prodigies (of which there are many), but she's learning that she is hard-wired to be a nuclear submarine officer.

I blame her mother's genes.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline  
Old 01-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #9384
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our daughter's been home from college for two weeks and flies back on Friday. She starts second semester sophomore year next Monday. Civil engineering with a specialty in hydrology under Professor Bedient, one of the nation's finest CE profs who was probably teaching that class when Noah was building the Ark Htown Harry was a sophomore. She's hanging tough with a 3.2 GPA, and that despite "C"s in physics, chemistry, & differential equations.

It's been a great two weeks, and we've really enjoyed bragging on hanging out with our young adult. However today the dam finally burst under the long-term pressure buildup and all the "I just can't take it anymore!!" angst came spilling out. The college version of Sunday Night Syndrome.

As is our custom, those outbursts are our cue to volley the ball of "What's the worst that could happen?" back & forth. We started with her new-found skills & experience in adversity, perseverance, time management, prioritizing, and work-life balance. We got all the way down to dropping out of NROTC, resigning from Rice, and coming home to U of Hawaii to study something liberal-artsy like history or Hawaiian Studies while managing shifts at Taco Bell. Either that or going to sea as an E-3 in Deck Div on an amphib.

Turns out Rice & NROTC ain't so bad after all, and she was "just" being a little hard on herself. Yes, she has learned that she's not one of Rice's freakishly brilliant prodigies (of which there are many), but she's learning that she is hard-wired to be a nuclear submarine officer.

I blame her mother's genes.
A good engineering school is just plain tough. Sounds like she's doing OK, though. Besides, I am a great believer in never giving up on a dream unless you clearly bomb out. Otherwise you might never get to find out if you could have done it or not. I'm glad she has decided to go back for another semester. One day semester at a time, y'know.

Besides, some C's doesn't mean that she's not one of Rice's freakishly brilliant prodigies. Some of them make a few C's too, sometimes. Class average GPA can be lower than one might think. Once an engineering student is out of school for a while, nobody is going to ask him or her about their grades anyway.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline  
Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #9385
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yes, she has learned that she's not one of Rice's freakishly brilliant prodigies (of which there are many)...
I think this is one of the toughest lessons any young, intelligent high-achiever has to learn. Growing up as one of the brightest bulbs in the local candelabra only to go off college to discover there are many other high-powered lights out there with even greater intensity can be a very humbling experience. It takes a while to come to grips with that and to get the ego adjusted to reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
... but she's learning that she is hard-wired to be a nuclear submarine officer.
That's unfortunate but at least the world is becoming more and more accepting of those with debilitating conditions.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #9386
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've often kidded Jenny about how she tends to leave things open -- backpack, purse, etc. Lena mentioned that Jenny had left the garage door open, and I joked to J that she has a "closing disorder."
.
DW has the same thing!!!! Never (or so it seems) closes cabinet doors, never putting the cap in the toothpaste tube (and wondering why it gets dried out), never tightening caps on jars, etc. I think you are onto something with the notion of "closing disorder".

Does jenny's backpack, purse, etc. extend to cabinet doors, toothpaste tubes, jars, etc as well?
__________________
pb4uski is online now  
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #9387
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think this is one of the toughest lessons any young, intelligent high-achiever has to learn. Growing up as one of the brightest bulbs in the local candelabra only to go off college to discover there are many other high-powered lights out there with even greater intensity can be a very humbling experience. It takes a while to come to grips with that and to get the ego adjusted to reality......
So true. Like sports, each next level is getting the best of the best so those who make the highest level are truly outstanding athletes.

One thing for them to keep in mind is that while smarts and knowledge are important to success in the workplace, the ability to apply knowledge, communicate and get along with others is as important if not more important. After all, what good is knowledge if it cannot be shared and used in the real world?
__________________
pb4uski is online now  
Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #9388
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Free To Canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cooksburg,PA
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DW has the same thing!!!! Never (or so it seems) closes cabinet doors, never putting the cap in the toothpaste tube (and wondering why it gets dried out), never tightening caps on jars, etc. I think you are onto something with the notion of "closing disorder".

Does jenny's backpack, purse, etc. extend to cabinet doors, toothpaste tubes, jars, etc as well?
+1
DW also has this affliction. I am so embarrassed. I am glad we finally have a name for it. Now we need to organize a support group for the "Closers".
__________________
Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #9389
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
I took down the artificial Christmas tree, a nine foot Costco special we've been using for about seven years now. The process was expedited by our two resident tree inspection specialists (cats).

Earlier in the day I got to cool my heels for an hour at the local branch of our (soon to be former) gigabank. I apparently had asked for something beyond the tellers pay grade in requesting to close an account, and was sent to the office of the Senior Branch Vice President In Charge of Customer Accounts and Other Petty Cash. This executive was shocked to discover that my account information consisted of name, address, and SSN. You know, the stuff that went on a 3x5 card when you opened an account and got your toaster back in 1972.

Before she could close the account, she had to collect all that new information required these days to make sure ones banking is not a threat to National Security. "Your employer?". "None. :-)". And that's when the conversation got interesting... Seems I had fees waived for having paychecks deposited electronically. Heh. That had to be kicked upstairs to [-]Bangalore[\-]Atlanta for further consideration. We'll see if I wind up owing anything. I sort of doubt it. I left them drooling over the prospect of getting my investing business. (fat chance)
__________________
M Paquette is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #9390
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,446
Might be easier to withdraw all but $1 and let it lie? I suspect that you wouldn't have to talk to anyone to do that and eventually they might come begging you to let them close the account.
__________________
pb4uski is online now  
Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #9391
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,431
They may charge service fees, drive the balance negative, and dun you for overcharge fees, and then turn the account over to debt collectors.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #9392
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,544
Warm (for January) and sunny yesterday so rode the motorcycle to work. It hadn't been out of the garage for over a week and I was starting to forget how much fun it is. Took the long way home just to enjoy the ride.

The weather forecast is for relatively warm weather and no rain so I'll probably ride the rest of the week. Gotta love modern cold-weather riding gear.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #9393
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
They may charge service fees, drive the balance negative, and dun you for overcharge fees, and then turn the account over to debt collectors.
Exactly! In this case they'd charge a $12/month service fee for not having a high balance or automatic payroll deposit. When the account balance goes to 11 dollars negative, there is a 36 dollar overdraft fee, additional monthly charges accrue. The bank contracts with a collection agency to do "pre-collection services", starting the harassment process 24 days after the balance goes negative.

Yes, they appear to hate their retail customers.

My expectation is that next month they'll credit one cent of interest, re-opening the account, followed by the service fee and overdraft charge. DD will have her law license issued from the bar by then...
__________________
M Paquette is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #9394
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
Generally wasted the day... so what else is new. On my way back from the coffee shop noticed the huge geyser. Actually a fire dept truck was running tests on their pumpers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.jpg (754.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0441.jpg (813.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0443.jpg (716.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0442.jpg (659.0 KB, 4 views)
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #9395
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Exactly! In this case they'd charge a $12/month service fee for not having a high balance or automatic payroll deposit. When the account balance goes to 11 dollars negative, there is a 36 dollar overdraft fee, additional monthly charges accrue. The bank contracts with a collection agency to do "pre-collection services", starting the harassment process 24 days after the balance goes negative.

Yes, they appear to hate their retail customers.

My expectation is that next month they'll credit one cent of interest, re-opening the account, followed by the service fee and overdraft charge. DD will have her law license issued from the bar by then...
I guess that is why I love my credit union!!!
__________________
pb4uski is online now  
Old 01-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #9396
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I worked on my class C motor home today.

...white knuckle experiences on the road... gusty wind ... blow ... off the road.

...putting in wonderful HD Bilstein shock absorbers, and a marvelous Hellwig add-on rear anti-roll bar... will not know until the next trip...
Thought I would give an update, in case anyone is curious, or has had or will have the same experience.

A few days ago, we took a short one-night trip to a small town 200 miles away. Did not have the toad in tow, but there was some wind. Not as bad as what I encountered in Wyoming, but enough for me to tell there was a big improvement.

Earlier, the RV was so sensitive to crosswind that my wife often asked "What are you doin'?", as if I was the one jerking the vehicle around on the highway. So, I said "Gosh, I am trying to keep us both alive here".

Well, that was not my actual reply, but I did not make up her accusation above.

On the road, I quickly learned to verify that there was indeed crosswind (wanted to be sure that it was not because of tire problems or something like that) by looking at the waving grass by the road side, and also to estimate the wind speed.

This time, man oh man, the driving was so less tiring!

Another difference was when I got passed by a semi. Used to be that I had to drive while watching the left-side mirror all the time, to prepare myself for when a big truck passed me. For, if I did not prepare myself and got caught by surprise, it would have blown me about 2 or 3 ft to the right as it passed. This time, well, maybe about 3 or 4 inches.

I cannot be 100% sure until a trip with the toad hooked up, but so far it's money and time well spent. Don't you love it when things work out like that?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #9397
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
I am purging the filing cabinet. Here's a funny postcard that I scanned in before throwing away:

ArizonaRetirementHomePostcard.jpg

I choose between keep, throw away, scan, or put in a box in the attic. When I come across old manuals (amplifier, alarm system) I can sometimes find a PDF of the manual on line, and throw away the paper copy.
__________________
TromboneAl is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #9398
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
I only got through the C's, what a job. It really shows how much less paper I generate now.
__________________
TromboneAl is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #9399
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,147
It was up in the 60's here in CT today. I took advantage of the good weather to wash the roadster inside and out and properly put it away for the winter. Also had a contractor over to work up a quote to convert from oil heat to natural gas (Finally; I've been thinking about it for years.)


I also went to the bank to inventory my safe deposit box. I recently realized that I could not remember what was in it. This time, I prepared a written inventory. I would recommend the exercise.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now  
Old 01-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #9400
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think this is one of the toughest lessons any young, intelligent high-achiever has to learn. Growing up as one of the brightest bulbs in the local candelabra only to go off college to discover there are many other high-powered lights out there with even greater intensity can be a very humbling experience. It takes a while to come to grips with that and to get the ego adjusted to reality.
Definitely what happened to me. Valedictorian at small high school, then got to college...
__________________

__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did 2008-09 Results Help You Now? Idnar7 FIRE and Money 42 10-27-2015 10:10 AM
California Munis Closed End Funds tanked today, why? Disappointed FIRE and Money 10 01-20-2008 07:15 PM
Did you retire or Did you quit GTM Life after FIRE 19 03-09-2006 02:06 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.