Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #9401
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DW has the same thing!!!! Never (or so it seems) closes cabinet doors, never putting the cap in the toothpaste tube (and wondering why it gets dried out), never tightening caps on jars, etc. I think you are onto something with the notion of "closing disorder".
My exDH was like that and always blamed me (his mother always did all that stuff).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #9402
Moderator Emeritus

Holy cow, where did the weekend go.

Oh, that's right, we put our daughter on the plane back to college on Friday night, and we've been enjoying our empty-nester lifestyle again! Lots of things to catch up on. E-mail too.

Good news about "The Military Guide", too. I need to make some phone calls to confirm some details, but I'll probably have the post up on Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I also went to the bank to inventory my safe deposit box. I recently realized that I could not remember what was in it. This time, I prepared a written inventory. I would recommend the exercise.
If it's so forgettable, does it make you wonder why you keep it safe in the deposit box?

As a guy who's spent some time trying to figure out if Dad still has a safe deposit box, I highly endorse filing an inventory copy somewhere that someday your conservator or executor can find...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #9403
Administrator

Just another uneventful day of retirement.....

Slept very late, and the spent a happy and busy afternoon with F. We had lunch, then took a long pleasure drive through some really obscure streets where I got temporarily lost over and over, chatting all the while and enjoying the delightful weather, then hung out at his house for a while (more happy chatting and fun), and stopped by the gas station and grocery store together.

Came home, did laundry, and browsed a bazillion Kindle books at my library. Finally chose one that looks intriguing and downloaded it.

Afterwards I spent over an hour deciding that it would be such fun to knit another afghan, selected the yarn from at least 34509876 different types, textures, and colors available (picked a beautiful one!), and also knitting needles, figured out how many skeins I would need, was ready to buy, when I realized that realistically I will NEVER have the time to start a knitting project right now! Life is so full. Actually, that is a good thing. I'll put it on the back burner for now, and maybe do it some time later.

Here it is, 12:35 in the morning, and I still haven't played my video game or started that Kindle book. Time flies when you're having fun.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #9404
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambuca View Post
You do realize that people that work do what you did in your post, typically(?). I watch you-tube to do things that I wanted to do today but didn't (left intentionally obique, although I must say, sadly there is no sexual undercurrent). Unfortunately my good friend broke his nose surfing, so maybe he won't be back quite as quick as you, but maybe he will since you are old... I'm just wondering if this board really applies to me at all. It has taken a while - and I enjoy Ha's comments, since there is some observation and not just bland self-congratulation...
Not sure who your post is in response to, but it certainly comes across as rude...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #9405
Administrator

Wow, sorry that I disappointed you, Sambuca. Before I retired, my daily life was much different because I had to work. YMMV

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #9406
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
You do realize that people that work do what you did in your post, typically(?). I watch you-tube to do things that I wanted to do today but didn't (left intentionally obique, although I must say, sadly there is no sexual undercurrent). Unfortunately my good friend broke his nose surfing, so maybe he won't be back quite as quick as you, but maybe he will since you are old... I'm just wondering if this board really applies to me at all. It has taken a while - and I enjoy Ha's comments, since there is some observation and not just bland self-congratulation...
With an attitude like that, you are definitely not a good fit for this forum.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #9407
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can't figure what in the world this means. Coherency lost.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #9408
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Unfortunately my good friend broke his nose surfing, so maybe he won't be back quite as quick as you, but maybe he will ...
Hopefully next time he'll be surfing with a longboard instead of his nose...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #9409
Moderator Emeritus

I had a bunch of random errands to run, and since this is Monday, I figured I'd do them while the stores were empty. Now, some of us live in areas where we appear to be skipping winter and moving straight into spring. I know I do. My spring bulbs are all coming up already.

Anywho, I rolled the convertible out of the garage today, for my errand driving. Top down, in January. Wheee!

I figure that this will upset the weather deities, and bring us our much needed rain and snow, or at least upset some of our crankier working visitors. Ah, empty streets and no crowds in the stores! Excellent errand running conditions... :-)
Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #9410
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Anywho, I rolled the convertible out of the garage today, for my errand driving. Top down, in January. Wh***!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #9411
Give me a forum ...

On my bike ride I discovered that some lazy person had thrown his tree on the side of the road. He didn't even remove the stand. Since our stand broke this year, I removed it, dismantled it and stuffed the parts in different pockets and my pants. If I'd crashed, the docs would wonder how I'd impaled myself on a Christmas tree stand.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #9412

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
On my bike ride I discovered that some lazy person had thrown his tree on the side of the road. He didn't even remove the stand. Since our stand broke this year, I removed it, dismantled it and stuffed the parts in different pockets and my pants. If I'd crashed, the docs would wonder how I'd impaled myself on a Christmas tree stand.
It's surprising what people throw away. There are a lot of apartment buildings in my general area and, usually near the end of each month, a few people are moving in a hurry, with the inevitable pile of things they don't need left out on the sidewalk. I got a nice bed frame, CD rack and desk for my SO this way. They were all free and all in good condition.

A biology student (presumably) had also left a quite sizable collection of frogs in sealed plastic bags out on the sidewalk. I passed on those.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #9413

Attended the second of six AARP tax review classes which are required to volunteer with them during tax season (starts Feb 1). This weekend I completed the Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced tests and passed them so now I'm qualified to volunteer. The classes are still required to practice doing returns and get familiar with the software.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #9414
Moderator Emeritus

Deposited a royalty check and drafted the cover letters for the donations to two military charities.

More details tomorrow, both on the forum and on the blog. But let's just say that Amazon.com hugely underestimates the book sales that they track on their Author Central site.

At least three of my old XOs will spew beverages on their monitors when they read about it, thinking:
"He can write!? How come that never happened when he worked for me?!?"
"People actually pay to read what he wrote?!?!"

Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #9415
Give me a forum ...

Sunday night I won an auction and will be getting my Woody Woodpecker talking hand puppet by the end of this week.

Woody is in Gary, Indiana today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woody.JPG (67.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #9416
Give me a forum ...

Why am I embarrassed to ask how you will use it?

Woody Woodpecker -- is that code?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #9417
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Sunday night I won an auction and will be getting my Woody Woodpecker talking hand puppet by the end of this week.
Do both his hands talk or only one?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #9418
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Woody is in Gary, Indiana today.
So that's exactly like the one your mom gave you as a small child as I recall? Very cool. Lots of sweet memories.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 01-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #9419
Give me a forum ...

Well...I must confess in true bbbamI fashion 'Woody' would normally be a slow pitch.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
So that's exactly like the one your mom gave you as a small child as I recall? Very cool. Lots of sweet memories.
Yes...you're right darlin'. Sweet memories of days gone by....
Old 01-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #9420

I had five young hunks in my backyard today. Unfortunately they left their shirts on but with such nice weather they were down to t-shirts. Having my flower border reduced in size since I'm not getting any younger.