Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #9441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Do you mean 150 rather than 1.5?
No, I think I got it right. Please check it for me:

100 Watts * 24 hrs/day* 365 days/year / 1000 W/kW = 876 KWH per year

876 KWH * $.14/KWH = $122

Conversion factor = $122 / 100 Watts = 1.2 (Dollars/Year)

So my conversion factor is actually 1.2 and not 1.5. Last time I calculated it we were using more juice and paying 17 cents/KWH, which made it about 1.5.

PGE.jpg

To calculate your personal conversion factor, multiply your cost per KWH by 8.76. So, for example, if you pay 15 cents/KWH at your marginal rate, your factor is 1.3, and a 100 watt light bulb on 24/7 will cost you $130 in one year.

Or send away for your decoder ring.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #9442
Give me a forum ...

Ah, I now see what you mean by conversion factor - it is the cost per year per watt which you then multiply but the watts of the item (100w lightbulb in this case) to get the cost for a year.

So in your example, a 100 watt bulb multiplied by a 1.2 conversion factor results in an annual cost of ~$120 which is the same as 100 watts * 24 hours a day * 365 days /1000 * 0.14 per KwH.

I thought the 1.2 was the cost per year.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #9443
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I was curious too, so I searched for it and found these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It was new to me too Nords. It has two different sets of plugs; one set that are always on like a regular plug and another that are only on when a "control" device is on. The objective is to minimize vampire (standby) power draw.
Cool, thanks!

The only "vampire" loads we have left (other than miscellaneous displays like the microwave oven) are the DSL modem and wireless router. I leave those on 24/7 for our TiVo and for anyone who's up on the midwatch. I don't think anyone would be happy having to click on a switch and wait a minute for them to come up to speed, but I'll have to ask spouse.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #9444
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Adopted a new kitty after euthanizing my 19 yo guy last Thursday. Will be bringing her home on Friday!
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, tangomaster. My two girls are 16 and I know the day is coming soon; I dread it. I wish the best for you and new kitty.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #9445
Administrator

I just filled out a pre-printed form today with my most recent technological acquisition, a 1960s vintage manual Smith Corona typewriter. It was the perfect tool for the job, although it did feel somewhat disconsonant to type in my email address.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #9446
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not starting my day in a very good mood! Tried to add minutes to my prepaid cell phone account. I had $98 worth of prepaid in it but unless I either used it or paid another $16.00 my phone would be useless tomorrow. So, again, as I do every 2 months, I tried to add $16 to my already abundant minutes only to be greeted with a little security box asking for, yet again another password, required by Wells Fargo. I went thru that sh*t last time and set one up but this time....no....didn't work. So...madder than a wet hen, I attempted to use my debit card...nope...stupid system didn't like me doing that.

So....I no longer have a prepaid cell phone. Back to the dark ages for me right now. I only use it for communication via txt with my daughter. She will just need to find another way to communicate with me now. Time for a nice warm shower or maybe a cold one.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #9447
Recycles dryer sheets

Six weeks into ER and my routine so far (for week- former w#rk-days anyway) is : up at zero-dark-30 to make coffee for DW to take to the job she still likes (normally would include a little shoveling this time of year, but not this winter so far); leisurely breakfast with morning news; take mutt for a walk along beach, weather permitting; fire up the PC to catch-up on news, weather & sports; linger on the PC to catch-up on ER.ORG; do some house-husbandry (laundry, grocery, general cleanup); occasional text/chat with former colleagues at former employer (which usually re-enforces that ER was the right decision); prepare a mean slow-cooker meal for the evening dinner. So....that takes care of the morning. Afternoons are still kinda free-form, doing whatever strikes my fancy: maybe a little interior housepainting, a little light carpentry, a little reading. (I'm actually reading an annotated Bible right now; I'm not particularly religious, but I figured it's time I tried to better understand it's social/cultural significance.) My retired status is still a little unreal, and I suspect my days may get a bit more regimented as time passes, either from desire or need, but certainly no complaints so far!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #9448
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I'm not starting my day in a very good mood! Tried to add minutes to my prepaid cell phone account. I had $98 worth of prepaid in it but unless I either used it or paid another $16.00 my phone would be useless tomorrow. So, again, as I do every 2 months, I tried to add $16 to my already abundant minutes only to be greeted with a little security box asking for, yet again another password, required by Wells Fargo. I went thru that sh*t last time and set one up but this time....no....didn't work. So...madder than a wet hen, I attempted to use my debit card...nope...stupid system didn't like me doing that.

So....I no longer have a prepaid cell phone. Back to the dark ages for me right now. I only use it for communication via txt with my daughter. She will just need to find another way to communicate with me now. Time for a nice warm shower or maybe a cold one.
With T-Mobile pre-paid, you can put $100 good for a year, subsequent years are only $10 if you stay within the minutes (and they roll over).

Your daughter can send texts to your email address. You can text from your computer email. It is just the 10 digit phone #, then an address for the carrier (you can google to find it for each of the carriers. ( xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net for t-mobile)

-ERD50
Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #9449

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
With T-Mobile pre-paid, you can put $100 good for a year, subsequent years are only $10 if you stay within the minutes (and they roll over).

Your daughter can send texts to your email address. You can text from your computer email. It is just the 10 digit phone #, then an address for the carrier (you can google to find it for each of the carriers. ( xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net for t-mobile)

-ERD50
Thanks...I will be looking into T-Mobile. I think the deaf community uses T-Mobile a lot from forums that I've read in the past. T-Mobile isn't "big" around here, but I know they have ads in the newspaper. I will be looking at it!!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #9450

Hey ERD50....that's so neat. I just wrote my daughter an email and it was delivered to her as text. She was able to respond!! I found a site that listed her carrier's text address and now she has mine too. Works really good as long as I'm at home with my computer and WiFi. Another reason for me to get an iPad, but then I would need G3 and probably be back with Verizon pre-pay again. Need to look at T-Mobile yet.

Thank you!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #9451
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Hey ERD50....that's so neat. I just wrote my daughter an email and it was delivered to her as text. She was able to respond!! I found a site that listed her carrier's text address and now she has mine too. Works really good as long as I'm at home with my computer and WiFi. Another reason for me to get an iPad, but then I would need G3 and probably be back with Verizon pre-pay again. Need to look at T-Mobile yet.

Thank you!
And you don't incur any charges to your pre-paid phone either! And I find it sooooo much easier to text on a computer keyboard than a phone. Win-Win.

BTW, I've recommended before that people find these text addresses and add them to their contact list on their computers. They are very handy - you might need to text and your phone is out of service, or dead batteries or whatever (or just inconvenient). And, in an emergency, texts are much more reliable than voice.

-ERD50
Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #9452
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Adopted a new kitty after euthanizing my 19 yo guy last Thursday. Will be bringing her home on Friday!
Sad but then sweet.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #9453

Cold winter weather arrived with a vengeance last night so yesterday I took advantage of what may be the last warm day until spring. Rode the motorcycle to the post office to mail some 8x10 photos to DW's niece, and then just wandered the back roads and ended up in Berkeley Springs. WV rt. 9 is a nice windy-twisty road good for a leisurely bike ride, lots of 2nd and 3rd-gear turns.

Ended up going a bit over 100 miles in perhaps three hours, arriving back home an hour before the rain started.

Took DW out to dinner at Ledo's Pizza. (I know, big spender, but that's where she wanted to go.)
Old 01-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #9454
Dryer sheet wannabe

Got up and fixed coffee and breakfast for DW then sent her off to w*rk. Got Dressed and went and had breakfast with the preacher. Checked on the boats, got back home and cleaned, vacumumed, started some laundry, went and picked up my 2 yr old nephew, picked up some lunch for both of us, went home and played with nephew, when he took his nap I started prep work for dinner, nephew got up and I took him back to my sister (grandma to him). Returned home to finish fixing dinner, make the bed with clean sheets, got dinner on the table, feed DW. Cleaned up, watched a little TV and then to bed. I was tired.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #9455

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Great deal, REWahoo! That's a huge savings and will pile up, month after month.

As for me, I had another one of those uneventful but delightful days of retirement, though I'm sure excruciatingly boring to some. I'm apparently as old as Methuselah so I will spare everyone the dreadful details....

Anyway, lots of fun and I'm getting rid of my cold (oh, darn, another one of those things that working people do too! When will I ever learn).
I hope that you do not stop letting us know what you do today, just because of one poster. I for one enjoy reading it! Keep posting!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #9456
Give me a forum ...

Got up at~8 am, dressed in a bathing suit,shorts and T shirt, did laundry, then played some mini golf. Next, sunbathing by the pool, followed by a quick swim (it's cool) and read from "The book of Negroes" on my Kindle. Somewhere in there was a pIna colada.......now, relaxing on the balcony of my cabin on Deck 9 and watching the ocean go by. Sweet!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #9457
Give me a forum ...

You sure have it a lot easier than the hapless 4,000 passengers on this Mediterranean cruise ship that ran aground Friday night.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #9458
Give me a forum ...

Sounds wonderful Meadbh!

Slept until 10 a.m. Fed the kitty, then enjoyed my coffee on the patio. Lovely, sunny day. Took care of a few chores around the house. Bunches of scary movies will be watched this afternoon.

Set out four pairs of small cafe' doors on my front lawn at 1:15 with a sign on them marked 'Free'. At 1:25 they were gone.... I'm so proud someone can use them and they didn't have to go to the landfill.

Now on to my movies....boogie boogie.....
Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #9459
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
You sure have it a lot easier than the hapless 4,000 passengers on this Mediterranean cruise ship that ran aground Friday night.
I know. Some of my friends have sailed the Mediterranean with Costa and were not happy with the service. Looks like safety may be a problem too. The captain has been prosecuted. As a matter of fact my fellow passengers on Celebrity and I were not impressed with the evacuation drill yesterday. We were all assembled in a public space, made to line up and watch a video......which short people couldn't even see. And they said something quite counterintuitive; if there is an emergency, go immediately to the muster point; the youth stewards will bring your children. Huh? I recall on my one previous cruise on another cruise line, we had to get out on deck and practice putting our life jackets on. That would be much more useful in an emergency.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #9460
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Huh? I recall on my one previous cruise on another cruise line, we had to get out on deck and practice putting our life jackets on. That would be much more useful in an emergency.

I noticed on our last few cruises they really streamlined the lifeboat drill . I went on several Costa cruises in the mid eighties and they were fine . I have been researching Mediterranean cruises and Costa prices were great but a lot of complaints .