Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #9461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Recliner-surfed most of the day. DW & I decided to just not do anything much. Well..actually, DW did make a meatloaf. It's still in the oven, and I'm sure I'll do my part later on (eating). Just watching TV, surfing on this forum, crunching retirement numbers...etc. Thinking about seeing a movie tomorrow at the Louisiana Boardwalk http://www.louisianaboardwalk.com/ . Not sure which movie just yet. Just a lazy day at home today, though.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #9462
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Recliner-surfed most of the day. lazy day at home today, though.
I bet you're getting a case of fishing fever by now. I know I am.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #9463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I bet you're getting a case of fishing fever by now. I know I am.
Ohhhhh yeahhhhh......!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 01-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #9464
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Ohhhhh yeahhhhh......!
Heh. I know you're mainly a Bass fisherman (and so am I), but I'm starting to get seriously interested in these yard long carp I've been seeing in my fishing hole. I think I may need some heavier gear. Been thinking this over all winter.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #9465
Moderator Emeritus

This is one of those days when I managed to write a couple blog posts, clear up a bunch of old PMs & e-mails, and catch up on a whole pile of reading.

I'm so inspired that I might even pay some bills. And for a thrilling climax I think I'll download Otar's old retirement book onto my Nook-- to see if it makes it easier to write the book-review post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I think I may need some heavier gear.
Reminds me of that notorious fishing quote "Looks like you're gonna need a bigger boat..."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #9466
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hole in one! Not me but DH today. It was really bad weather day for golf - rain and mist but DH hit his first hole in one on a par 3 today. The rest of the day is all smiles. When will it be my turn? This lifetime?
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #9467

My 15 YO flatbed scanner and my 20 YO shredder were in a race to see which one would die first. I loaded about 300 pages of old statements, tax returns, receipts into my 1tb external HD. Even Ms G said I was w**king way to hard for a Sunday.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #9468

At home on a Monday! It's MLK day. Will get some paperwork done and maybe see a movie. DW wants to see "Tinker Tailor."
Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #9469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
At home on a Monday! It's MLK day. Will get some paperwork done and maybe see a movie. DW wants to see "Tinker Tailor."
Prepare to be disappointed. I enjoyed the book but felt the movie just didn't capture the whole intrigue.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #9470
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok, so we're not RE... at least yet for me... but we had a different day on the 90 day countdown to DW stopping, and me... ?

Thanks to the day off for MLK day, we went out to lunch (unusual for a lifelong teacher, that's a treat, we call it a snow day!), then fired up an xmas present... the 25th anniversary concert of the R&R Hall of Fame... Spent the afternoon reading with the concert playing, can't tell you the last time we've had that much time without something we felt we had to do.

Guess I'm posting to say we're "practicing"... And it was good, I don't anticipate any problems with adjustment...
Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #9471

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Prepare to be disappointed. I enjoyed the book but felt the movie just didn't capture the whole intrigue.
We'd already seen the British version with Alec Guinness, which we liked. So, we knew how it ended. I thought Gary Oldman did a great job as Smiley.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #9472
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to much today...took the van in for a new power steering pump...Reset paving stones on the path to the garden...Created three stone terraced planters on the hill above the garden...Removed the carpet in the corner of the family room where the new wet bar will go.

This was very unusual. I think I will get a glass of wine and sit in the hot tub and contemplate how my day took such a productive twist.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #9473

I went onto Craigslist to sell my practically brand-new, almost mint-condition, really nifty-looking pair of deferred gratification clamps. The deal included two-thirds of a roll of duct tape.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #9474
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck
I went onto Craigslist to sell my practically brand-new, almost mint-condition, really nifty-looking pair of deferred gratification clamps. The deal included two-thirds of a roll of duct tape.
Did you then buy a new car and wide-screen TV?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #9475
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
... and a free box of dryer sheets?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #9476

Looks like no one did anything today. Including me. Ooopps, did go skating, an took a long nap.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #9477
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Looks like no one did anything today. Including me.
OK, I'll fess up. Sent off a check for my 2011 property taxes to the county tax office. First time I've been eligible for the "OA Exemption" (no 'generation war' comments, please!) which allows me to pay in four quarterly installments without interest.

Now if I can only remember to send another check in March and May and July...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #9478
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Looks like no one did anything today. Including me. Ooopps, did go skating, an took a long nap.
We went to the gym where I managed to complete a challenging workout on the weight machines. That felt good, and I think I have finally ditched the Cold from Hades after almost two weeks. It's great to have my strength back.

Then, we went to the post office to buy stamps. He bought a roll of stamps, but I only bought a book of them which should last me about two years. By then, the post office may be defunct at the rate it is downsizing and early retiring its employees.

Next we had lunch together ($6 each to split a huge grilled chicken sandwich on fresh-baked French bread, and fries). Yum. This at a little Italian restaurant where we are regulars, and they make us feel like family. After that, we spent the afternoon together. Now I am back home, preparing to watch American Idol, knit a little, and watch the forum. Multitasking at its finest...

This month I started tracking my spending to the penny for the first time, just for fun. What I especially want to know is where all that ATM money ($474/month average in 2011) goes. So, today I checked my wallet and the number of cents in it matches what should be there. That's a nice feeling.

None of this sounds very exciting, or eventful, and yet for me this day has been blissful and an absolutely, utterly perfect day.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #9479
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
.. pay in four quarterly installments without interest...
I was about to say "what's the big deal" when I remembered that RE taxes in Texas are about 4 times that in my state. Ouch!

By the way, if the tax is for the coming year, why the state wants it in advance anyway? Just because they can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...This month I started tracking my spending to the penny for the first time, just for fun. What I especially want to know is where all that ATM money ($474/month average in 2011) goes. So, today I checked my wallet and the number of cents in it matches what should be there. That's a nice feeling...
People now will say, "Ah, so that's what early retirees do all day: counting their pennies".
Old 01-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #9480
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
By the way, if the tax is for the coming year, why the state wants it in advance anyway? Just because they can?
Note that I said 2011 property taxes, not 2012...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread