Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #9541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Power outage 2 most of today. Nice to have the iPod for reading.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #9542
Give me a forum ...

I had a scary moment or two this week . I got the flu last week . Chills ,fever ,body aches and complete loss of appetite . Suddenly It went into my chest and caused a severe flare up in my asthma . I spent my birthday in the ER with the Physicians trying to get my lungs to work at better capacity . After several breathing treatments, massive steroids , heavy duty antibiotics I was able to go home with a nebulizer , more steroids ,more antibiotics and assigned to rest .This has really made me see how precious life is and how your health can change in a moment . It also made me appreciate my SO who has been my rock through this .

Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #9543
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I had a scary moment or two this week . I got the flu last week . Chills ,fever ,body aches and complete loss of appetite . Suddenly It went into my chest and caused a severe flare up in my asthma . I spent my birthday in the ER with the Physicians trying to get my lungs to work at better capacity . After several breathing treatments, massive steroids , heavy duty antibiotics I was able to go home with a nebulizer , more steroids ,more antibiotics and assigned to rest .This has really made me see how precious life is and how your health can change in a moment . It also made me appreciate my SO who has been my rock through this .
Oh my goodness!!! So glad you are ok!!! Continue to rest and recover - thinking of you!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #9544
Give me a forum ...

Got my snowmobiles off the trailer, started them and went for a short shake-out ride. Went well so I'm all set for the season. Watched the AFC and NFC championship games. Bad day for the Harbaugh boys.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #9545
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went with girlfriend and her parents to a afternoon musical and dinner for her mother's 75th birthday.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #9546
Dryer sheet wannabe

Breakfast, Church, lunch, get boat & tackle ready for fishing this week, nap, back to Church, dinner, visit with family, then to bed. Great day!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #9547
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Took on a laptop computer repair project.

My widowed sister, age 76, chose an unfortunate location to temporarily store her 'lost all its flavor' chewing gum. She placed it on the lower right corner of her laptop (yeah, what was she thinking...) and forgot it was there. Snapped the warm laptop closed and didn't find her gum again until the following day.

Her chosen storage location was on the edge of the closed screen and the warm, juicy gum flowed around to the back of the screen in a small area no larger than a dime. Apparently LCD screens do not react well to moisture and other chemicals in chewing gum - the gum infected the screen and the cancerous growth continued eating away at the display until it proved fatal.

Emboldened by YouTube video instructions, I removed the defective screen and ordered a replacement. I'll let you know how things work out.

Oh, I also built her a USB Gumholder to hopefully prevent future mishaps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0206.jpg (444.9 KB, 4 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #9548
Give me a forum ...

I replaced an LCD screen recently. I picked up the opened laptop by its screen, and pinched it a bit too hard. Heard a tiny "crack"... Oops... Found a crack about 2" long where my thumb was, which very quickly grew across the screen, rendering the whole thing dark. Spent about 1 hour cursing myself, before I calmed down and decided the next course of action.

Found a new replacement screen on ebay for $80 (wow, that was cheap), but did not consider doing it myself until I found detailed instructions on the Web about how to remove the bezel and all the wiring.

In the days before the Internet (and also when I was younger and intrepid), I would just start to pry around until something gave.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #9549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
Take care of yourself Moe! And easy on those steroids. You don't want to look like an NFL lineman
Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #9550

Bad day today. Leaving 70 degree az for snowy 30 degree il, and I sold my 2000 Grand Cherokee. It's not a good feeling being Jeepless.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #9551
Give me a forum ...

Moemg, glad your doing better. Something like that will certainly make you appreciate life a little more.

Pretty warm here today. Took the mutt on a trail we frequent from time to time. Wore shorts and a tee shirt. Got home and finished raking the back yard. Hope I won't be too sore for golf tomorrow. Here's my good buddy on our hike checking out a tree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jan12 001.jpg (1.06 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg jan12 002.jpg (1.11 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg jan12 003.jpg (857.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #9552
Moderator Emeritus

Multi-generational tax returns. Dad's first, with ours ready to start.

Last week I put up a blog post about Suze Orman's debit card. Now this week I get to participate in the latest spam trend: using Suze Orman's name in a comment on any post that happens to mention Suze Orman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Oh, I also built her a USB Gumholder to hopefully prevent future mishaps...
She might be afraid to use it for fear it'll reduce her battery life...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #9553
Give me a forum ...

My nap was interrupted by a large bang from the garage area. Couldn't find anything wrong until I tried to open the garage door. The spring had snapped.

The other one snapped in 2001, and it cost $164 to fix. But this is something I don't want to do myself -- someone will come tomorrow to fix it.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #9554

Al,

Sorry to hear about your nappus interruptus. Anyhow, this last November our garage door spring sprung. Cost: $89 service call + two springs (#3 x 28) at $49.98 each + tax. Total bill was $196. Labor time seemed to be about 12 minutes. Apparently, it's important the installation is done correctly because these springs do snap off with great force (or, so I'm told).
Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #9555
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My nap was interrupted by a large bang from the garage area. Couldn't find anything wrong until I tried to open the garage door. The spring had snapped.

The other one snapped in 2001, and it cost $164 to fix. But this is something I don't want to do myself -- someone will come tomorrow to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Al,

Sorry to hear about your nappus interruptus. Anyhow, this last November our garage door spring sprung. Cost: $89 service call + two springs (#3 x 28) at $49.98 each + tax. Total bill was $196. Labor time seemed to be about 12 minutes. Apparently, it's important the installation is done correctly because these springs do snap off with great force (or, so I'm told).
In my previous house, the springs were the ones that went from one side of the door to another, and wound up like a screw. When it broke, I called the pros - you need to know what you are doing with these.

My current house, the springs go along the tracks, and stretch out lengthwise when the door is lowered. When the door is fully open, there is almost no tension. They are very simple to replace. There is a safety cable that runs through the center lengthwise, so if/when they snap, they don't go flying. But mine actually stretched out w/o snapping and the door opener groaned trying to work against the load, so no big excitement.

I'm not sure why they use the other type? I guess the installation looks a little 'cleaner', these springs 'hang' a and kind of flop around when the door is open, but it makes no difference to me. Cheap and easy to replace as a DIY. Any big-box store has the springs in stock.

I wonder if it would be worth retrofitting?

-ERD50
Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #9556
Give me a forum ...

The first type is a torsional spring, usually a pair that is mounted on a torsion rod that has pulleys mounted on both ends, and helps raise the door by cables. The cables are wound onto the pulleys as the door is rolled up.

The second type is a pair of also coiled springs that stretch as the door is lowered, and connected to the door with some levers. The garage door is not the rolled-up type, but swings up and out.

I have not seen that 2nd type in years. It was used in an earlier home of my parents, that was built in the 50s.

All houses I have seen since then use the 1st type (torsional springs) that are mounted up above the garage door. I guess they are more popular now because they do not use levers that occupy space or interfere with "stuff" that people may store along side the garage door.

PS. ERD50 might have described yet a 3rd type that I have not seen.

PPS. The torsional springs are "scary" because being mounted on the top plate, they must be installed when the door is down, and pretensioned to maximum torque. I once looked to see if I could install them when the garage door was up, where the springs would be at minimum torque, but there was simply not enough clearance to work when the door was up. So, I called the serviceman.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #9557
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The first type is a torsional spring, usually a pair that is mounted on a torsion rod that has pulleys mounted on both ends, and helps raise the door by cables. The cables are wound onto the pulleys as the door is rolled up.
PPS. The torsional springs are "scary" because being mounted on the top plate, they must be installed when the door is down, and pretensioned to maximum torque. I once looked to see if I could install them when the garage door was up, where the springs would be at minimum torque, but there was simply not enough clearance to work when the door was up. So, I called the serviceman.
I wonder if those springs relax and have to be "retorqued" over the years to give them the same lifting force that they had when new. Our garage door motor is barely pulling the door up, but I haven't taken the time yet to call the service guy.

The two metal rods that they use to adjust the spring tension are probably available from any hardware store. One slip, though...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #9558
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

The second type is a pair of also coiled springs that stretch as the door is lowered, and connected to the door with some levers. The garage door is not the rolled-up type, but swings up and out.

I have not seen that 2nd type in years. It was used in an earlier home of my parents, that was built in the 50s.

All houses I have seen since then use the 1st type (torsional springs) that are mounted up above the garage door. I guess they are more popular now because they do not use levers that occupy space or interfere with "stuff" that people may store along side the garage door.

PS. ERD50 might have described yet a 3rd type that I have not seen.

PPS. The torsional springs are "scary" because being mounted on the top plate, they must be installed when the door is down, and pretensioned to maximum torque. I once looked to see if I could install them when the garage door is up, where the springs would be at minimum torque, but there was simply not enough clearance to work when the door was up. So, I called the service man.
Torsional - that's the word I was looking for. Glad I caught your edits. Yes, mine is a sectional, that just slides up in the track - not out. And the coil (extension) springs are connected with cables to the door, similar to the torsional.

Replace Garage Door Extension Springs

Quote:
Replacing Extension Springs

This style spring was used often for the do it yourselfer, they are not as common today, however some doors still have them and they work great, these springs are mounted next to the garage door track, and extend/stretch to do their job, they are called extension springs. Extension springs are not as difficult of a home repair.
Ah - your PPS clicked with me - you are right, the torsional are scary dangerous because they have to be tight to get to them. When I open my door, and then disconnect from the opener and slide it even further back, it's totally horizontal, and there is no downward force, and the springs are relaxed. Piece of cake.

So it's not clear to me why the torsional are more popular - just aesthetics? In a garage (I'm not Jay Leno)?

-ERD50
Old 01-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #9559
Give me a forum ...

IIIRC in 2001 the serviceman recommended replacing both springs, but I declined. So I got 11 years out of it. For a while I'd spray the springs to delay the rust, but here the rust always wins.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #9560

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
... For a while I'd spray the springs to delay the rust, but here the rust always wins.
Al, it's "Rust Never Sleeps" (Neil Young)