Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #9561
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finished clearing (left the best trees for shade) about 2/3 acre for the 5 alpacas we've bought. Fencing was delivered yesterday so hoping to get some post holes dug today and some posts set on the level areas. Had some ice/snow over the weekend so too wet to try to take the Bobcat with the post hill digger too far down the sides. The portion where is start is a long slope so if I make it down but can't get back up, I won't at least tip over and can just leave the Bobcat till it dries out a bit.

Framing material for the run in shed will be here next week so hope to have most of the fence and gates in place by then. Target is to be ready by middle of March if the weather cooperates.

We spent a quiet weekend here and stayed in for the most part out of the ice and snow, spent a lot of time reading in front of the woodstove. The dogs didn't feel like reading but plenty happy to hang out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #9562
Dryer sheet wannabe

Tuesday - got up made breakfast and coffee for DW, got her off to w**k and then loaded the boat and went fishing, it was so- so nice outside the inlet we decided to go to one of the artifical reefs. On our way out we watched a film crew in a helicopter film a "Everglades" boat and crew. Picked up some trash (balloons). A NO - NO here because of sea turtles. Fished a while, came back to the inlet and caught a mess of blue fish, and watched a film crew in a boat film a sleek boat named "Nighthawk". Got tired of catching fish so we came in. Had lunch and home to clean the boat. Fixed dinner for DW. Will watch a little TV, blog on PC then to bed.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #9563
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I had a scary moment or two this week . I got the flu last week . Chills ,fever ,body aches and complete loss of appetite . Suddenly It went into my chest and caused a severe flare up in my asthma . I spent my birthday in the ER with the Physicians trying to get my lungs to work at better capacity . After several breathing treatments, massive steroids , heavy duty antibiotics I was able to go home with a nebulizer , more steroids ,more antibiotics and assigned to rest .This has really made me see how precious life is and how your health can change in a moment . It also made me appreciate my SO who has been my rock through this .
So glad to hear you're OK.

Mr B had a very similar episode back in November. His bronchial function completely went downhill from a flu bug and the accompanying congestion. He went into respiratory distress (just like a severe asthma attack) and also was sent to the ER and thankfully was released after 4 hours after the same treatment you were given.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #9564
Give me a forum ...

I helped Mr B with algebra today. He understands how to set up the equations from the given word problem of solving for profit, with fixed cost (constant) and variable cost and revenue written as 2 separate functions of x units, but has trouble with the basic mechanics of +, -, and ( ) order of operations in solving for x.

So I grabbed a handful of quarters (fixed cost), dimes (revenue) and nickels (variable cost) and showed him how it was done in 3D.
Berry bowls served as the equivalent of the parentheses, adding/pulling coins to show the functions of x and arithmetic operations, etc etc.
Then I did one problem for him on paper showing ALL steps in precise mathematical form, and he is right on track.

I shoulda been a teacher.

I'm playing SuperStardust on my PS3 while he is in class today.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #9565
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to the mall to walk today. It has been gloomy and threatening rain all day. Mostly I have stayed in and done some household chores today.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #9566
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I helped Mr B with algebra today. He understands how to set up the equations from the given word problem of solving for profit, with fixed cost (constant) and variable cost and revenue written as 2 separate functions of x units, but has trouble with the basic mechanics of +, -, and ( ) order of operations in solving for x.

So I grabbed a handful of quarters (fixed cost), dimes (revenue) and nickels (variable cost) and showed him how it was done in 3D.
Berry bowls served as the equivalent of the parentheses, adding/pulling coins to show the functions of x and arithmetic operations, etc etc.
Then I did one problem for him on paper showing ALL steps in precise mathematical form, and he is right on track.

I shoulda been a teacher.

I'm playing SuperStardust on my PS3 while he is in class today.
My high school math teacher had a memory prompt for the order of operations; it was "My Dear Aunt Sally" for multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #9567

Woke up early to the welcome sound of thunder and heavy rain on the roof. Scheduled for annual mammogram first thing but they called to reschedule as the machine was down for repair, fortunately they called just as I was headed to the car. Went to yoga class and then to the rescheduled mammogram. DH and I just got back from visiting a friend with very advanced cancer. I'm working on some volunteer paperwork and tax stuff now, heading downtown shortly for a charity event and then back out here for choir practice. DH will be stuck with frozen pizza for dinner.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #9568
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to GA today to talk to our Granite guy about counters for the wet bar. The Cabinet guy is two weeks away. The Tile guy (me) is done with his part.

I will finally have a place to display my ouzo collection. It all is coming together.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #9569
Recycles dryer sheets

As I am finishing my day, reflecting on the progress made to date, I am sitting on the back deck, sipping a very nice libation. To my surprise, I hear a commotion in the trees just outside my view. A flapping, fluttering and squawking is taking place. I get up, peer up into the trees. I see no less than 26 turkey vultures taking roost for the night!

I hope this is not a portent of things to come.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #9570
Administrator

Typed a business letter on my old Smith Corona manual portable typewriter. My printer has been non-functional since New Year's Day and I just couldn't put off sending the letter any longer, so I typed it.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #9571
Moderator Emeritus

Wrote pretty much all day: blog posts, e-mail, Facebook, a couple letters.

I can't wait to take a break and pay some bills. Oboy.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #9572
Give me a forum ...

Went to my dental appointment at 9 a.m. Yack...I hate appointments and early mornings.

Anyway, had an upper back molar drilled and filled because I had a small cavity. I have a small mouth (yeah..really I do) and it never ceases to amaze me how two hands, three or four pieces of dental equipment and cotton swabs can fit in my mouth at the same time.

Of course that's when they ask me if I'm doing ok.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #9573
Give me a forum ...

You probably miscounted an elbow.

I could swear that was what my dentist managed to fit in.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #9574
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Typed a business letter on my old Smith Corona manual portable typewriter. My printer has been non-functional since New Year's Day and I just couldn't put off sending the letter any longer, so I typed it.
The security camera footage:

Old 01-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #9575
Give me a forum ...

Tonight we are going to drink a $1,000 bottle of wine!

That is, our car mechanic gives customers a free bottle of wine whenever the bill is over $1,000, and I'd forgotten all about this bottle.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #9576
Give me a forum ...

Update: The wine (Five Oaks) was excellent, with a delicate oak bouquet, a hint of blackberry, and a subtle finish of Chevron 10W-30 motor oil.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #9577
Give me a forum ...

Just for giggles, I googled Five Oaks wine. The second entry was "Five Oaks - best wine under 4.99". Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #9578

I did something today that I've never done before. I took some of Mom's jewelry to a couple places to see if anything was worth selling. Neither my sister or I are desperate for cash (I'd just save it and she'd just spend it) but the price of gold sure makes us curious as to what we have sitting in a shoe box.

What I learned is that a small handful of the jewelry is 14K gold and worth around $360. Her high school graduation ring is 10K and worth about $50. There is a nice handful of sterling silver that's only worth about $12. I first went to a local family owned jewelry store and then to a storefront gold exchange shop. Both estimates were close but the sleaze factor at the gold exchange shop was much higher.

Only one of the pearl necklaces is real but there are two "faux pearl" necklaces by "Miriam Haskell" that may have value as collectibles on eBay.

Very interesting errand and I asked a lot of questions and learned a lot. Mostly that Mom didn't have flashy tastes and was thrifty in her jewelry purchases. Her style of jewelry (yes, the 1960's were very fashionable) was very different than anything my sister (big, shiny bling gets you noticed by a better class of people) or I (plain understated and classic) would wear so neither of us wants to keep any of the costume jewelry.

I didn't sell anything yet, I'm just getting educated. My sister is out of the country on vacation and I said I'd take care of this, so we will decide when she gets back.

We don't have much sentimental attachment to Mom's jewelry. She didn't wear the good stuff, only the costume jewelry.

The price of gold changes throughout the day so if I go back to sell anything it will have to be estimated again. Nice to know that there is some value there.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #9579
Administrator

Sue, good for you to be looking into the jewelry value. My brother did this for us when he felt emotionally ready to handle it. He got three appraisals, and they were all pretty close but disappointingly low. My brother misses our mother so badly, and I told him to keep the jewelry to remember her by if he wanted to. He decided he'd rather go ahead and sell it even if we wouldn't get much, just to be done with it and get some closure. He sent me a small check for my third of the proceeds, which was a nice surprise.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #9580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My mom gave me a used, green-colored Smith Corona manual portable typewriter (case included) as a high school graduation gift. I used it all through my undergrad days. Thought it was just one of the best things I ever owned. Recently gave it away as it was replaced many years ago with an IBM Wheelwriter 3. Use it everyday. One of the better things I've ever owned--but, it's just a machine. Fond feelings remain for the Smith Corona--always seemed to be more than a machine.