Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #9701
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
And the results are in! Negative! No cancer, just a prostate the size of a grapefruit. OK, more like a big walnut. This, I can deal with. Funny sounding drugs, a little roto-rooter... :-)
Really great news.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #9702
Administrator

Back on-line after the crash of my cable modem and wireless router on Thursday. Independently, I had ordered a new computer, so I have spent the day getting a new modem and router and then wrestling with all the set up issues. Still can't get the new printer to work.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #9703
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
And the results are in! Negative! No cancer, just a prostate the size of a grapefruit. OK, more like a big walnut.
Tres tuercas?

Congrats! I know you must be relieved to get the all clear.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 02-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #9704
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today was a big day for the duck. I set up two carbon monoxide detectors and my water pik. So, thanks to you folks who suggested I do both. Actually, my neighbor (whom I thought didn't like me very much) also encouraged me to set up the carbon monoxide detectors. He said that it would be a real shame if I died peacefully in my sleep. Guess I had him wrong.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #9705
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck
He said that it would be a real shame if I died peacefully in my sleep.
Why do I hear a New York mafia accent when I read this?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #9706
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Today was a big day for the duck...
And a red one at that!

As I personally have not seen any red duck, except for Peking ducks, I wondered if there were any red duck that could still walk or swim, instead of lying still on a platter and smelling really yummy.

So, I educated myself with a search on the Web, and wow, what did I learn? There are red ducks after all!

Well, this following one looks less devilish.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #9707
Dryer sheet aficionado

Today DW and I drove over the hill to pick up wine from two of our wine clubs. Another beautiful day here in NorCal with temperatures approaching 70!

My new hobby is cleaning up stuff around the house and posting on Craig's List. Have sold almost everything I have posted so far, and aide from the few flakes who give CL a bad name, most people have been a joy to deal with. Now that I am officially released from the bone doc, took the Harley out for a little ride. Need to get the idle speed looked at and one of the new speakers is very distorted. I will take it back in on Monday.

Also enjoying the new flat screen I acquired for the bedroom.

No that's the kind of toys us boys need!
😃😃😃

Nook
Old 02-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #9708
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woke up and went to the gym for a good jog, followed by lunch with DH. Then went to the hair salon to dye my hair - after 3 DIY touch ups, need to get it done in hair salon. Will be cooking dinner. Very restful day indeed.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #9709
Recycles dryer sheets

Updating my records to book January's financial income.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #9710

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
edit to add....He bought the tool chest...actually there were two, so now he has five tool chests. He is one happy camper.
You know a guy can never have too many tool chests, but now I feel deprived. I only have three, with 12 feet of workbench space.

That's not counting the four 5-foot cabinets in the basement or the two little ones in the shed or the two shelves in the garage.

But only three tool chests... I tell ya, life is hard sometimes.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And a red one at that!

As I personally have not seen any red duck, except for Peking ducks, I wondered if there were any red duck that could still walk or swim, instead of lying still on a platter and smelling really yummy.

So, I educated myself with a search on the Web, and wow, what did I learn? There are red ducks after all!

In your research, did you also find a black swan? Initially they were considered mythical (I'm just guessing at this). But, now they seem to show up every where and all the time--and in bunches (ok, everybody google this and let me know that "bunches" is not the correct word re: a bevy or herd or wedge (if the swans are flying). "Bunches" just sounds better to me (but, I'm sure not to Greg Lee).
Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #9712
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You boyz and yer tools...I swear.
Now he'll be organized and will find things he no longer needs...
Boyz....
Eh, you want we should stop entertaining ourselves and get involved in your projects?

By the time he gets the tools arranged just the way he wants them, he might be able to sell the excess toolboxes on Craigslist for a profit.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #9713

Just got back from taking my mom (82 in a few days) out for a nice Sunday lunch!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 02-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #9714
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
You know a guy can never have too many tool chests, but now I feel deprived. I only have three, with 12 feet of workbench space.

That's not counting the four 5-foot cabinets in the basement or the two little ones in the shed or the two shelves in the garage.

But only three tool chests... I tell ya, life is hard sometimes.
Bless yer heart....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Eh, you want we should stop entertaining ourselves and get involved in your projects?

By the time he gets the tools arranged just the way he wants them, he might be able to sell the excess toolboxes on Craigslist for a profit.
hmmmmm.......heh.

During the frenzy of tool chest play time, he suggested I could store my make-up in a fishing tackle box. Kind of a good idea...but still...

--------------

What I did today......actually put on make-up. The past year or so I haven't been paying much attention to my 'girly' self and it's time for a change. Perhaps I'll buy fresh cosmetics and give that tackle box more consideration....
Old 02-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #9715
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
During the frenzy of tool chest play time, he suggested I could store my make-up in a fishing tackle box. Kind of a good idea...but still...
Yeah, what every hot chick in motorcycle leather boots needs: bait-scented makeup.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #9716
Recycles dryer sheets

Filed my tax returns; and locked in my price for electricity through March 2013.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #9717
Moderator Emeritus

I paid a visit to the local gigabank branch where I had closed an account last week.

Closing the account was pretty easy. I talked to a customer service person, who looked up my account, tried to up sell me, then tried to get me to keep the account. I insisted on closing it, so the nice person fiddled with the computer some more, then told me to withdraw the balance at the ATM, and the account would be closed. I joked with her that I really wanted the account to close, and didn't want to see a penny of interest deposited, followed by some service charge for low balance overdrawing the account. She assured me that wouldn't happen and that she would monitor the account.

Today, I logged into online banking for the gigabank. The checking account was open, and overdrawn by $24.98.

They credited the account with $0.02 in interest on February 3, and then charged the account a $25.00 low balance fee.

So, I'm off to the bank branch. I walked into the customer service area, and jotted down the name on the desk of the person who had "closed" the account for me last week. The assistant manager appeared at once. ("person in bank shows note-taking behavior..."). I pulled out a copy of the online statement, and explained the problem. To her credit, she agreed at once to have someone reverse the charge, close the account, and even pay me the two cents. So, I sat down with a different customer service person, and we went through the closing process again. She didn't try very hard to get me to keep the account this time. My constant scribbling in my notepad might have distracted her.

We'll see if it sticks next month...
Old 02-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #9718
Give me a forum ...

Put up a shelf in the laundry room for DW. Changed the whole house water filter. atook the truck to the gargage to have the check engine light checked out - seems to be some obscure solenoid that is $150 so they cleared the code and we'll see if it recurs or not. Went for a 20 mile snowmobile ride with DW. Watched The Voice, Smash and Two and a Half Men.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #9719

Saw this post on MMM's website; a post by Nords...Mr Badassity himself! Congrats.

Today’s guest post is brought to you by Nords of The-Military-Guide.com. This is a great blog about leveraging *both the training in Badassity and the career perks offered by the US military to earn yourself *some very early financial independence
Old 02-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #9720
Give me a forum ...

I slept in until 1 PM today. My sinuses are draining and irritating my throat, so lots of coughing and interrupted sleep last night. I will be very happy when this is all over.
Mr B is relaxing in the recliner until he gets back to the books.
I need to solve and then tutor him on a homew*rk problem (math) by tomorrow night. My motivation to do that is pretty low right now , but I will get going on it soon.
I just heard a news report that my former place of employment is once again being considered for relocation to Ohio in a cost cutting exercise. I went through several BRACCs in the 1990s, never knowing what would happen. I am so glad I am no longer affected directly by these things.
However...if it does happen, I can forget about getting a decent price for my house down the road when I do my own relocation in a few years.
One step at a time...no need to panic.