Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #9741
Administrator

No more furniture shopping for me today.

Carnival season (Mardi Gras) is starting in earnest today, with about a dozen parades around New Orleans today and more each day until Mardi Gras on the 21st.

It's also POURING rain today. Between the parades and the rain, traffic is a huge mess. My dear companion F. lives 1/2 block from a parade route, where two parades are expected to pass tonight and there will also be a big concert/celebration a few blocks away. I live in a quieter area but traffic is essentially at a standstill even down here, too.

We managed to get to the gym, though it took nearly forever. Almost nobody else was there, and it was fun to have the whole gym nearly to ourselves. Battling traffic to get there, and then to get home after lunch was unreal. I am happy to be warm, cozy, and dry now that I am back at home, and do not plan to venture out tonight.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #9742
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I prepared taxes for 5 hours at the local library with AARP. One 78 y/o client had a 1099-R showing a $129,000 distribution of which approximately $2,000 was taxable. I previously entered a distribution from an annuity that had been rolled to another annuity so I asked her what she had done with all this money. She said, "what money?"

On one copy of the 1099-R, I highlighted the phone number and the account number. It looked like it was from an insurance company. She was going to call them after she went home and had lunch.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #9743
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I prepared taxes for 5 hours at the local library with AARP.
Same here. I filed 35 tax returns today.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #9744
Recycles dryer sheets

Updated portfolio for YTD dividend rate changes. Hope to begin organizing documents needed for tax preparation.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #9745
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Been trying to come up with new ideas for centerpieces for my kitchen and dining room tables. I don't want to buy anything...just use the stuff I have around here.

Silk flowers are out...so I've heard. I just can't bring myself to float lemons and limes in water. I know they would get fuzzy on me.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #9746
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Been trying to come up with new ideas for centerpieces for my kitchen and dining room tables. I don't want to buy anything...just use the stuff I have around here.

Silk flowers are out...so I've heard. I just can't bring myself to float lemons and limes in water. I know they would get fuzzy on me.
Maybe some winter squashes?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #9747

Spent the last week visiting my mom in NC for her 82nd birthday. Also, spent time with my middle daughter, 5 yr old grand daughter, my two sisters and my longtime best friend. Left there on yesterday, and drove to Oxford, AL, where I spent the night. Today, drove from Oxford to Shreveport, LA. In the morning, driving to Lufkin, TX to be at work by around 7 am or so.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #9748

I am waiting for Quicken to convert an old file to a new file 45 minutes now.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #9749

Spent 2 hours editing a video of how I fixed my microwave oven:

Pitched champagne yeast into my barleywine, which had stopped attenuating.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #9750
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Pretty bowls and doilies often work in and of themselves without additional embellishments.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #9751
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Maybe some winter squashes?
Ooooooo...lovely idea. I did a fast search on them and I had no idea they came in so many beautiful colors.

I have a painting in my dining room that should be changed to match the colors in my house now. Might have to work on that too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
Pretty bowls and doilies often work in and of themselves without additional embellishments.
Ahhhh yes, you're right. I have some lace in my dining room as the furniture belonged to my grandmother. Perhaps I should go through my cabinets and see what I can find.

Thanks y'all.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #9752

I think either a fruit bowl full of the real stuff or a nice potted plant is nice.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #9753

Bbbami- if you're looking for a good looking fruit bowl- here's an idea

http://heavytable.com/stoli-doli-dri...your-own-risk/
Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #9754
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Spent 2 hours editing a video of how I fixed my microwave oven:
Thanks for posting that! I'm leisurely troubleshooting ours, and hoping it's a bad door latch. But now I know how to do the rest.

Have you shared that with the Appliance Samurai at FixItNow.com? He's always looking for good video.

What forum did you use for your troubleshooting?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #9755
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I think either a fruit bowl full of the real stuff or a nice potted plant is nice.
I might use a potted plant in my kitchen. Good idea.

My grandmother used to have a bowl on her table filled with the plastic fruit. Of course all the grandkids had to try and take a bite. There were little teeth marks all over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My oh my.....now you're talking! I've got to try one of those.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #9756
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
I like LauAnn's idea. Otherwise, one hardly ever gets a chance to see those pretty bowls because they are out of sight.

Today I did my taxes: Federal, Louisiana, and estimated 2012 taxes for both as well. This time I owe the IRS $300, and Louisiana owes me $150. I'm pleased that my estimates were closer this year. Also we went out for soup and salad at about 4 PM. Don't know if that was lunch or dinner, but it was really good.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #9757
Give me a forum ...

Since tomorrow is Valentines day I wanted to make my SO something special . A little while ago he was telling me about his Mother's peanut butter fudge so I found a recipe and made him a pan of it . It turned out great . Tomorrow I will make spare ribs and coleslaw and He will be in heaven ! He already gave me flowers and a cute card .
Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #9758
Give me a forum ...

We woke up to 4 inches of fluffy snow on the ground.

I spent 3 hours closely reading the 3rd chapter of Mr B's Management Science book so he and I can sit and do the homew*rk together tomorrow. This book makes things unecessarily complicated for the sake of mathematical rigor and and skips a lot of steps. No wonder so many people feel math-challenged. I'm an ace at linear algebra and even I got a little lost, trying to follow the book's squirrely presentation.
I wrote notes in his book so he could understand the graphs better without flipping back to previous pages.

While I was doing the reading, I heard this high frequency sound but couldn't locate it right away. I went downstairs and discovered 1 inch of water on the downstairs bathroom floor.
The sound was the alarm I had set there to warn me of excess moisture or water backup . Some of the water had escaped the bathroom shower (backup from drain to septic) and seeped into the downstairs room carpet.
It turns out that the flapper in my upstairs toilet decided not to seat properly, so the toilet tank kept filling, which of course made my septic system fill up. The good news is no dirty water entered the house, just the fresh water from the running toilet. Whew!
I got the shop vac out and sucked up the excess water from the carpet in 1 corner of the downstairs family room, the tile floor in the bathroom, and linoleum floor in the laundry room. I have a floor box fan running and a dehumidifier to help things dry out. All should be well by tomorrow.
A new toilet flapper purchase is definitely in the cards.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #9759
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...It turns out that the flapper in my upstairs toilet decided not to seat properly, so the toilet tank kept filling...
There is a new type of filler valve that fills the tank only once per flush. If the water leaks away because of a leaky flapper, it will leave the tank empty. Thus, there is no water waste, and the user would notice the next time she flushes.

Even for people who are on city sewage and do not have to worry about an overflowed septic tank, the above filler float still saves water. When my sister-in-law came back to her unoccupied home after a long trip, she discovered that the water had been running in her toilet for 1 month!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #9760

I just dropped off DD + 2 grand kids at the airport after 3 weeks with us. The true meaning of mixed feelings.