Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #9781
Moderator Emeritus

Our college daughter e-mailed us to schedule a phone call "just because she misses talking to us". (Cue ominous soundtrack.) It turns out that she really did just miss talking to us, and there was no bad news or apocalyptic problems or misbehavior. Amazing.

Everything's going well, she's doing "OK" in classes, she's having an "active social life" (I don't need to know), and she's happy with NROTC. In fact she sounds like she's having a wonderful sophomore year, and she wanted to let us know that it's worth every penny of the $44,795 on our 2011 IRS Form 1098-T.

The Navy's submarine community is literally working with the women in her unit to schedule their summer cruise. Someone has really put their horsepower behind the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Oh yes, it rained the past two days which makes all of us drought-stricken folks very happy!
Ironically our daughter complained about how wet Houston has been. I bet she'll be missing this weather in about five-six months...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #9782

Down in the deep dark recesses of a drawer I found a box of 35mm Kodachrome slides from a shift party in 1978 so I had to scan them. This is one from an era in which we were invincible:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1978 Pool Party_0032.jpg (97.6 KB, 12 views)

Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #9783
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Down in the deep dark recesses of a drawer I found a box of 35mm Kodachrome slides from a shift party in 1978 so I had to scan them. This is one from an era in which we were invincible:
Wow! June of 1978. Had just graduated from college, purchased a Honda 750, and was building houses to earn $$$ for an upcoming road trip to Canada, before reporting to my first Air Force duty station in July.

Thx for the trip down memory lane.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #9784
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Wow! June of 1978. Had just...
...left the military after eight years and was struggling to start a second career with two kids age seven and three. DW, a stay at home mom, took an afternoon paper route to help pay the bills. Thankfully I got promoted within six months and we could then make it - just barely - on my salary alone.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #9785

June "78 Just started dating the soon to be Ms.G. Well took 3 years.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #9786
gone traveling

I did nothing, but DW made love to me ...

Heck, I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was...

Priceless...
Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #9787
gone traveling

Quote:
Wow! June of 1978. Had just graduated from college, purchased a Honda 750, and was building houses to earn $$$ for an upcoming road trip to Canada, before reporting to my first Air Force duty station in July.

Thx for the trip down memory lane.
Of one who enlisted in USAF back in '67, along with my (first of three) MC's, in Texas (late 1067) with my first bike (one of three) a Suziki 125 (BTW, purchased a 750CC 25th year anniversary edition in 1980, or so):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WinterScene.jpg (379.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Bike1.jpg (347.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #9788

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Of one who enlisted in USAF back in '67, along with my (first of three) MC's, in Texas (late 1067) with my first bike (one of three) a Suziki 125 (BTW, purchased a 750CC 25th year anniversary edition in 1980, or so):
You've aged well.

How's the 1,000 year old bike running?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #9789

Brewed a single hop American pale ale. Palisade. Part of a set of identical recipe beers at my homebrew club, with the only difference being the hop variety (adjusted for alpha acid level). We have a meeting planned where we will test our hop palates, and build mixed hop 6 packs. I love drinking other brewers good beer...not having to pay sin tax is icing on the cake.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #9790
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow! June of 1978. Had just...
Completed 2nd year of college in May and was being trained to be a small engine mechanic for Sears during the summer.
I was totally single and heavily into my education/career building track. I broke a few "marry me" hearts along the way without meaning to. Sorry guys!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #9791
Give me a forum ...

Today is another math tutoring day...Mr B is being confronted with decision variables with multiple subscripts in simultaneous linear equations. His colorful descriptions of the math symbols crack me up.

I'm enjoying a nice glass of Malbec (Sonoma County) wine from a bottle that one of his college professors gave him in exchange for a bottle of imported Portuguese wine we picked up for the Prof in MA at xmas. I think I have a new entry on my favorite wine list.

Doing laundry as usual now that the septic tank had a full week to drain from the toilet tank failure and downstairs flooding episode. The toilet tank flapper never malfunctioned again. Do do do dooooooooo....But I still keep a watchful eye on it nonetheless.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #9792
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Hey, that looks like my high-school graduation party!

No, wait. The date's right, but it's the wrong kind of smokes and not enough beers...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #9793

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I did nothing, but DW made love to me ...

Heck, I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was...

Priceless...
Now, that's a feel good post.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #9794
Administrator

Quote:
Wow! June of 1978.
June of 1978? I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant with our first child, but felt like it was 10 months. The Navy doctor was telling me he heard a third heartbeat and I might be pregnant with twins (I wasn't). My ex was in the Navy and his ship had been in the Philippines since the previous December. All our possessions had been stolen when we moved to San Diego, days before he left. I was alone, in a city that was strange to me and where I knew nobody.

End of the story: He got back in late July, after our baby was due, but she was a week late so he made it just in time. What a happy day that was! Our baby is now a grown-up herself.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #9795
Give me a forum ...

June 1978- was finishing the first year of work an living with 3 other guys sharing a house and partying hard. Back then would think nothing of closing the bars at 2am and getting to work by 8am. To even think of doing that now hurts.

Good weekend here. Went to a couple good college hockey games, a couples pitch tournament Saturday night with DW, BIL, SILs and some friends, and put about 50 miles in snowmobiling. Beautiful sunny day today. Life is good.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #9796
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to an open house at a new hospital due to open in a few days; they also had a health fair.
Picked up some info on retirement communities; that stuff is depressing.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #9797
Give me a forum ...

June 1978 I had a 7 year old and a 1 1/2 year old . My first marriage was disintegrating and within a year I was a single Mom . That's when I finally got my financial life in order and started saving .
Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #9798
Give me a forum ...

Ok..I'll play. In June 1978, I was married one year. In June of this year, I'll be married to the same man for 35 years.

My oh my...times does fly...
Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #9799

In 1978 I was seven, and had just gotten my first pony, Heyward. Life was good!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #9800
Moderator Emeritus

In June of 1978 after a sad family experience we signed a contract to buy our first house for $67,000, interest rate of 7.5 percent. We still live there.