Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #9861
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Went out to lunch with one of my friends from the police department.

Celebrated our new addition...a new lawnmower! The old one was 23 years old, it was time to say bye bye.

Relaxed my fanny muscles.
having friends in the police dept is a good thing...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #9862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
having friends in the police dept is a good thing...
Yes it is. I worked with those guys (I was a volunteer cop) for ten years. I miss them...but not enough to go back. Ten years is long enough.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #9863
Moderator Emeritus

Got an offer to interview on Military Mom Talk Radio. (@MilMomTalkRadio) Well, me and about a dozen other milbloggers.

It'll be my first live interview since the 1990s. I bet tech has improved a bit since then...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #9864
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went to a strength training class yesterday AM and then a line dancing class in the PM. I really need to do strength training. I can really feel sore muscles today and she started us out slow and with low weights. She is not going to be there next Thursday, so I think that I need to do some of this on my own, so that I am not sore all over again the following Thursday.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #9865
Give me a forum ...

Put our old lawnmower in the front yard with a 'free' sign on it. It was gone an hour later.

We have an item on Craigslist and lo and behold, two scammers replied. I chewed on and batted them around for a while. Just like a cat, I grew tired of them and struck the fatal blow. What fun!

Only problem is, I know many people get scammed and that makes me furious.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #9866
Give me a forum ...

Skated as usual. Got the hang of the "Schafer" push. If curious look for it on yotube, Orser and Boitano used it in loop figures during 1988 Olympics.

Using a forward outside edge to generate propulsion for skating backwards. Both feet, though left pushoff is stronger than right. Then played with using a Tango stop, then reverse direction using the Schafer push. A genuine blast. Love learning.

Then had a well deserved coffee.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #9867
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had an appointment with our accountant to get taxes done. He asked why I was still w***ing. He talked about how well my investing was doing compared to most of his clients. He told me to max my Roths, that my RMDs will be very high by the time I get to 70 1/2 years.

The complements were nice to hear, but I cannot take much credit, I picked up a lot from some savvy investors.

Thanks for all of the great postings.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #9868
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Thought about doing housework.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #9869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Me too!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #9870

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
...test of the water coming out of the new softener is 190 ppm lower.
Wow, that's just great... (isn't it)?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #9871
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Wow, that's just great... (isn't it)?
Yes it is. Now we no longer have "liquid rock", we have "liquid sodium".
Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #9872
Moderator Emeritus

Got a "Contact me" on the blog from Jon Anderson at Military Times. (These days the blog pretty much rules Google searches for any combination of <military financial independence>.) We chatted for over an hour about his proposed article on "military millionaires"... after I got done laughing about the title.

He's an Army veteran, though, and after we talked for a while he got pretty enthusiastic about ER. I may have converted one over the phone. He even wanted to know what cars we drove, how old they were, and how many miles we got out of them. Brat, he lives up in your neck of the woods and his spouse takes a lot of ferry boats for her work commute.

I don't know when or even if the article will be published, but it was good to practice my pitch. I also sent in yet another surfing photo, this time with our daughter and me surfing together.

Maybe I should retitle the blog:
"The Military Millionaire Next Door"

Gee, someone should write a book!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #9873

REWahoo...

I Googled "Liquid Sodium" and this kind of jumped out at me:. "Researchers concluded that the liquid sodium released during the accident, could have melted steel doors..."

Sounds like " Liquid Rock" might be safer. But, then again, I don't have 400 posts as of yet.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #9874
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Researchers concluded that the liquid sodium released during the accident, could have melted steel doors...
Yeah, but they save a lot of money on hot water...

Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #9875

Did another day of AARP free tax prep. Ran out of customers before we ran out of time. I'm sure all heck will break loose again the week before April 17th.

Spent 4 days last week in Seattle (actually, at a cabin on Whidbey Island) hanging out with 7 girlfriends. Our 19th annual winter gathering. Great time had by all but I'm glad to be back in FL in the 80 degree weather instead of the high 30's/low 40's. I much prefer our summer get togethers at the end of July.

Tried to take the cat for a walk. It's going to be a loooooooong process. Bought her a camo kitty holster and a retractable leash. Maybe in a year from now we'll be strolling through the complex! For now, she's doing a good impression of a potted plant.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #9876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I think about it too sometimes. Then I go lie down until I feel better.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #9877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Tried to take the cat for a walk. It's going to be a loooooooong process. Bought her a camo kitty holster and a retractable leash. Maybe in a year from now we'll be strolling through the complex! For now, she's doing a good impression of a potted plant.
LOL, my attempts at this in the past have been met with kitty "gator roll" impressions. Uggh!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #9878
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
LOL, my attempts at this in the past have been met with kitty "gator roll" impressions. Uggh!
That's the purrfect analogy!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #9879
Moderator Emeritus

I asked my optometrist to stick a needle in my eyeball.

On Wednesday I finished pruning our mango tree and hauling it up to our back lanai for further mulching. I wear safety glasses when I'm using a cutting tool, but somewhere during the afternoon a chip of mango wood about three feet wide a quarter of a millimeter in diameter managed to sneak under my right eyelid. Instead of obligingly sliding down the surface of my eyeball to be washed out, it went edge-on and dug into my eye.

The pain was like having a grain of sand stuck under your eyelid (with mango sap!), but I couldn't find it. Imagine a presbyopian with a magnifying glass in one hand, a flashlight in the other, and a flushing nozzle in the third hand. It actually hurt more with my eye closed than open, and I kept trying to flush it out with contact lens solution and the kitchen-sink spray nozzle. No joy.

The first available appointment was Friday morning. Sleeping was uncomfortable and the eye kept leaking tears to flush it out. However the pain had died down by Thursday afternoon and I was beginning to think it'd work its way out. I still couldn't see it but the pain had gone from seven out of ten to about four.

The optometrist says that when something gets stuck under the eyelid, not in the surface of the eye, then blinking drags the object back & forth across the eyeball in zigzag "debris tracks". Those objects are pretty easy to chase down, although the blinking & dragging usually flushes them out first. But when it's stuck in the surface of they eye, optometrists go hunting with fluorescent dyes and bright lights. He finally stuck a swab onto my upper lid, "everted" the lid to get a look underneath it at the upper half of the eyeball, and then uttered the spine-chilling word that nobody wants to hear from a medical professional:

"Hmmm".

Removal was actually anti-climatic. A few drops of anesthetic (on the eyeball), a probe that looked like something out of a Freddy Kreuger movie, a very strange feeling of it being laid across the surface of the eye, and then a small tug.

The pain stopped immediately, and I could blink again without wincing. You couldn't even see the wood chip without a magnifying lens. He said that without medical attention our bodies would eventually break it down or encyst it and absorb it "in another week or two"(!). He said the real worry is metal shards that attract bacteria & rust, but organic material would usually resolve itself.

Last night's sleep was pretty sweet...

Old 03-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #9880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I asked my optometrist to stick a needle in my eyeball.
OMG Nords, this sounds horrific! I wouldn't have been able to stand it, would have gone right to the ER...which probably would not have resulted in the best doc looking at it...uggghhh. I once sprayed hairspray directly into my eye (it had clogged up and came out an an unexpected angle). That hurt soooooo bad...my college roommate had to walk me like a blind person to the student infirmary where they proceeded to hold open my eyelid and run saline nonstop over my eyeball. OMG, a terrible memory!

So glad it is all better now!

Closed Thread